Signing talib to 1 year was not smart in my opinon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Signing talib to 1 year was not smart in my opinon

dude is yourng, long and good. if what you want happens and he stays healthy and no off field issues, we will have no shot at teh bloated contract he will warrant.

we should have drawn up an amendola contract for 4-5 years that requires him to play x amount of games to earn it and with a behavior clause.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Signing talib to 1 year was not smart in my opinon

Reports are the Pats offered him a 5 year deal...

he just rejected it because he believes he can get a better deal next season.

What you're worried about is exactly what Talib and his agent are hoping for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like the 1 year deal.  He hasn't played a full NFL season yet and ended the last the seasons early with the same injury.  So play it safe, see what he does this year and if stays healthy and does well this season then pay him to stay in the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I LOVE the 1 year deal:

1) I don't trust Talib 100%. Given some security, I'm not sure he would respond well.

2) Talib and his agent won't find much more next year when the cap AGAIN remains the same. Look no further than Welker. Every team isn't fixing alll their problems right now. PIT is a prime example. With escalators of some, and timing of others, they're going to be purging like a prom queen again next offseason. At THAT point, if I felt better about him, I swoop in with multi-years at a more team-friendly rate while offering the atmosphere he's now been in for 1.5 seasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Depends on where Ras is by end of season, and/or they pick up a good CB in the draft. If neither happens, they're back to having problems next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

very few Pats fans are concerned about five years from now. We're focused on winning it all in a 2-3 year window. The Pats can now hav Talib for at least two of those years. It's a very good signing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Solid no-nonsense contract.  He got some baggage, injury prone, some uncertainty.  So slap with a one year to prove it to me contract, works great for both parties.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Both sides have to agree to the terms of the deal and Talib didn't want a multi-year deal although word is that the Pats offered him one (which probably had a number of conditions). 

All in all, it's a good deal.  Talib needs to show that he can stay on the field and stay out of trouble. A one year deal gives him the opportunity to show that he can do both.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

To me this is the best deal we've done this off season - before free agency began there were thoughts out there that we should franchise him for one year and see how things work out. The cap number for a one year franchise deal for a corner is 9 plus million...we just got him for almost half that. This guy is now playing for his next contract, he should be a good boy and he probably realizes that if he can't stay healthy he won't get a big payday. To me this was a great move all around - I don't trust this guy - but for one year on a "prove it" deal, I can.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

This is the only signing the Patriots have made that I can agree with.  As far as the one year deal is concerned, I would just be happy with it.  I mean look at all the other crap they been doing in FA.

I think signing Talib and the A Wilson signing was the best moves they have done so far this past week.....keep defense coming since they have regressed offensively already.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

...and still we need another CB.  A lot of it has to do with Talib sadly.  I am happy with the signing but the guy just can't be trusted.  For somebody to have such a shakey past with both injuries and outside acitivities he sure thinks a lot of himself.  Next step is to see him play at least three quarters of the season.  Good luck with that!  Could end up being a series of one year contracts.  lol.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Alot of it depends on which Talib we see on the field. A motivated Talib who's playing for a bigger contract next year, or the head case and problem child he was in the past. Even 4 years would be a big risk if he reverts to his old ways. We saw him at his best last year, but we didn't see him at his worst. Talib needs to hit the weight room and get stronger too. A one year contract is perfect, he'll be showcasing himself for next year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Have read in multiple places that it was Talib who settled for 1 year and not long term security.  Say this for him, he is obviously confident in his abilities and will be looking to cash in by having a good year.  That BB waited out the market and got Talib on his terms is a good thing.  He could've overpaid for the guy, which would have been worse.  I frankly think giving this guy a long term deal and a big bonus would be scary, who knows which guy you're gonna get at that point?    

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

You can read in about 1 million places that it was Talib who chose the shorter deal.  The Pats wanted him to sign a longer one.  I've seen reports they offered him a variety of deals the longest being 5 years.  What do you want BB to do lock the guy in a room until he signs a long term deal?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Have read in multiple places that it was Talib who settled for 1 year and not long term security.  Say this for him, he is obviously confident in his abilities and will be looking to cash in by having a good year.  That BB waited out the market and got Talib on his terms is a good thing.  He could've overpaid for the guy, which would have been worse.  I frankly think giving this guy a long term deal and a big bonus would be scary, who knows which guy you're gonna get at that point?    

Agree. Plus, Bdbreu doesn't understand economics and markets. The 1 year deal actually favors the Pats due to the cap not going up in 2015. BB will have another pick of quality CBs next offseason.

Bdbreu is just pissed he'll have to adjust his roster again next year. lol

I just read Reiss's blog and he's pointing to the market being flooded again next year as well, which is what I said days ago if not weeks ago:

7. Not sure enough attention has been paid to how dramatically the market has been lowered for player contracts this year. When a top cornerback like Cortland Finnegan signs a deal averaging $10 million per season as a free agent last year, and this year's top cornerbacks feel fortunate to get half that, it is stunning to watch unfold. Remind me again how this is good for the players? I am already hearing that 2014 is likely going to be more of the same.

Bdbreu, in case you're needing a translation, this means Talib is taking a massive gamble on a team that may not have the best structure, paying a lot more to get to the cap FLOOR by 2015.

That's certainly possible, but it's also  major risk in what will be a flooded market again due to a stagnant cap ceiling.

You can either learn or continue to be an ignorant kid running around here babbling and whining about every move BB makes.  Your behavior here, amongst others refusing to learn why BB does what he does, reflects a very poor IQ level or even wanting to learn.

2014 is going to be the same thing because all these cbs are settling for short term deals.

Next years class will include Talib, DRC, probably Grimes, Tillman, Tim Jennings, Sam Shields, Vontae Davis, and probably some fill in some release victims in there too.

Next year won't be much different than last year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I like the 1 year deal.  He hasn't played a full NFL season yet and ended the last the seasons early with the same injury.  So play it safe, see what he does this year and if stays healthy and does well this season then pay him to stay in the future.

you are not reading or digestign wht i said.amendola for instance gets his money if he plays enough gaems. that can b writiten into the contract

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Depends on where Ras is by end of season, and/or they pick up a good CB in the draft. If neither happens, they're back to having problems next year.

my point was it frees us up moe in draft to not have to go cb if we get multiple years (and another outside cb ideally)

which  is wanted anyway (to get 2 outside cbs anyway in fa). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

This is a great deal for the Pats. It still stuns me that there are Patriot fans who doubt BB. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

you are not reading or digestign wht i said.amendola for instance gets his money if he plays enough gaems. that can b writiten into the contract

Bredbru, I don't think you understand how FA works. Free Agents aren't out there looking for the best deals for the team, they're looking for what best suits them. In most cases, it's the most years with the most guarantees. If Talib thinks he can raise his value in a year, WHY would he sign a long term undermarket deal with low guarantees?

You said this earlier about how they should've resigned Talib as soon as they traded for him. None of your deals make sense in the players perspective. In a contract, a player has to agree to the deal too...It's not just the teams decision to set up a contract that only works out best for them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Both sides have to agree to the terms of the deal and Talib didn't want a multi-year deal although word is that the Pats offered him one (which probably had a number of conditions). 

All in all, it's a good deal.  Talib needs to show that he can stay on the field and stay out of trouble. A one year deal gives him the opportunity to show that he can do both.

love to read that report (know where?). if so they were thinking ntelligently but he wouldnt og for it

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

very few Pats fans are concerned about five years from now. We're focused on winning it all in a 2-3 year window. The Pats can now hav Talib for at least two of those years. It's a very good signing. 

2? you mean 1 right. 1 year 5 mil

Sections
Shortcuts