Similarities Between Pittsburgh Penguins and New England Patriots Come Playoff Time?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Similarities Between Pittsburgh Penguins and New England Patriots Come Playoff Time?

Talented Players on Offense

Less talent on defense

Well coached

Consistent, winning regular season record

High fan expectations

Going into Playoffs as high seed and heavily favored

Playoff failure

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Similarities Between Pittsburgh Penguins and New England Patriots Come Playoff Time?

In response to anonymis's comment:

Talented Players on Offense

Less talent on defense

Well coached

Consistent, winning regular season record

High fan expectations

Going into Playoffs as high seed and heavily favored

Playoff failure

plus Crosby spent too much time in the shotgun

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

Re: Similarities Between Pittsburgh Penguins and New England Patriots Come Playoff Time?

In response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

I think the only difference, which puts a clamp on your premise, is the idea that the Pitt team won a Cup in 2009 and is essentially the same root team for the past 4 years. Same goalie in Fleury, base of players, experienced, etc.  So, that's a veteran team, while the Pats recent clubs here are VERY young. 

Meanwhile, BB was loading up on picks from 2010-2012 off a lockout to build a youthful base for years to come, which he has.

Ray Shero basically picked to be the GM in Pitt vs here because of Crosby and Malkin.  Makes sense.  But, Chiarelli has picked players who have character more so than Shero. Matt Cooke symbolizes this. He's a gutless puuke everyone hates and Crosby has shown poor leadership as an entitled primadonna a la Alex Rodriguez, so that's a problem in that area.

I would almost call the '11 Bruins and '11 Pats very similar in that they had some playoff disappointments in previous years, learned and grew, but Tim Thomas didn't fold like Brady did.  Sucks to admit it, but it's the truth.  Each is looking to build a dynasty at this point, but only one has gotten a title in recent years to start to builds towards that kind of a possibility. Maybe Brady can rectify 2011 and even last year's disappointing effort as the backbone of the team, this year?

Chiarelli has taken a page right from BB's book in terms of the building of a team, cap management, not letting the market dictate, etc.  Great job.  Bodes well for the future. 

None of the B's players are really stars, they just come together as differing pieces to former a sum much greater than their parts.  Pats have it, they just need their stars to not have meltdowns in key spots.

Cheers.

Don't get ahead of yourself here. The Hawks could very well clean up on the Bruins in the finals. NHL playoff hockey is a hell of a alot different than NFL playoffs so it's hard to compare anything. 

The year before the B's won the Stanley Cup they had the most epic collapse in the history of the NHL against the Flyers and almost did the same to the Leafs this year so things change from year to year and even in a single Playoff run. So many different factors in a 7 game series as compared to winner takes all in the NFL.

Who knows what went wrong with the Penguins in their series against the Bruins. Crosby could be playing with numerous injuires, we will see. And to say that Bruins players have more character than the Penguins? Yes Bergeron and Chara are character players, but everyone outside of Boston hates Marchand and Lucic so that holds no relevance at all.

Way too different to make any comparisons I think.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Bruins SPANKED the Penguins.  Who's your Daddy!

NEXT!!

Only time Pats got Spanked was by the Ravens, a couple of years ago. 1 and done in the NFL, in Play-offs. Just a couple of key plays in Football and things change.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

I think the only difference, which puts a clamp on your premise, is the idea that the Pitt team won a Cup in 2009 and is essentially the same root team for the past 4 years. Same goalie in Fleury, base of players, experienced, etc.  So, that's a veteran team, while the Pats recent clubs here are VERY young. 

Meanwhile, BB was loading up on picks from 2010-2012 off a lockout to build a youthful base for years to come, which he has.

Ray Shero basically picked to be the GM in Pitt vs here because of Crosby and Malkin.  Makes sense.  But, Chiarelli has picked players who have character more so than Shero. Matt Cooke symbolizes this. He's a gutless puuke everyone hates and Crosby has shown poor leadership as an entitled primadonna a la Alex Rodriguez, so that's a problem in that area.

I would almost call the '11 Bruins and '11 Pats very similar in that they had some playoff disappointments in previous years, learned and grew, but Tim Thomas didn't fold like Brady did.  Sucks to admit it, but it's the truth.  Each is looking to build a dynasty at this point, but only one has gotten a title in recent years to start to builds towards that kind of a possibility. Maybe Brady can rectify 2011 and even last year's disappointing effort as the backbone of the team, this year?

Chiarelli has taken a page right from BB's book in terms of the building of a team, cap management, not letting the market dictate, etc.  Great job.  Bodes well for the future. 

None of the B's players are really stars, they just come together as differing pieces to former a sum much greater than their parts.  Pats have it, they just need their stars to not have meltdowns in key spots.

Cheers.

Don't get ahead of yourself here. The Hawks could very well clean up on the Bruins in the finals. NHL playoff hockey is a hell of a alot different than NFL playoffs so it's hard to compare anything. 

The year before the B's won the Stanley Cup they had the most epic collapse in the history of the NHL against the Flyers and almost did the same to the Leafs this year so things change from year to year and even in a single Playoff run. So many different factors in a 7 game series as compared to winner takes all in the NFL.

Who knows what went wrong with the Penguins in their series against the Bruins. Crosby could be playing with numerous injuires, we will see. And to say that Bruins players have more character than the Penguins? Yes Bergeron and Chara are character players, but everyone outside of Boston hates Marchand and Lucic so that holds no relevance at all.

Way too different to make any comparisons I think.

What? Umm, I am well aware of that. It's the Hawks Cup to lose. I picked them to win it all as the lockout ended.  They were in the best position.  As a B's fan, I prefer the B's as underdogs anyway. They seem to relish it.

I have no idea what you're even talking about. I was countering the comparison by anonymis and simply saying the Pitt teams are more experienced than our recent Pats clubs which is the main reason why his premise is a bit flawed.  They're not really comparable other than Crosby or Brady underperforming, personally.

PS Anyone who hates Marchand and Lucic simply wishes they played for their own team. Period. Don't give me that crap. Matt Cooke plays for Pitt.  You want a gutless puuke to hate, look no further.

Haha fair enough. I'm no Pitt fan but I think Cooke has cleaned his game up the past couple years. Sens fans can jump all over their conspiracies that he cut Karlssons leg but I don't buy it. 

I think I just misunderstood your comparios is all. No worries. If the Hawks do win tonight I do not think their offense will fold in the finals like Pitt's did so I think the series will go the distance. Should be good regardless! 

It should be fun for you Bruin fans!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

the ole saying is,  offense wins games, defense wins championships!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

Yup.  Hellofa D.  And the B's only scored once against a team that scores 4 a game.

Imagine that!  Wish the Pats had a D that could win a game.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO    T.E.A.M!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

true....0 goals in a dozen or so penalties. Penguins were on pace at about 33% during previous playoff games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

The two big differences between the two sports are the long series v. one loss and you're out and then combined with the ability of one position in hockey, goaltender, to virtually single-handedly change the outcome. I appreciate that's not exactly a news flash.

You would expect the better team to emerge over a 7 game series and when that doesn't happen it's usually a goaltender standing on his head. I like the Bruins chances. Rask is better than Crawford and hotter right now. Playing the Pens should also be good prep for what the Hawks will bring.

I think the Pats have been arguably as good as anyone over the last couple seasons, hurt obviously by Gronk's absence in the playoffs, but one or two mistakes can be the diffence. There's no game 2 to bounce back.

While QB has the most direct effect on wins it's not quite the same as goaltending in hockey. While much is made of who to blame for recent Pats losses, especially in the SB, when these games come down to one or two plays, as both SB losses did, arguably all facets played well enough to win and it just didn't quite break their way.

I'm very optimistic for the Pats this year and while not a Bruins fan normally I started cheering for them in Rd1 against the Leafs and would like to see them close the deal. I actually think they will.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:

The two big differences between the two sports are the long series v. one loss and you're out and then combined with the ability of one position in hockey, goaltender, to virtually single-handedly change the outcome. I appreciate that's not exactly a news flash.

You would expect the better team to emerge over a 7 game series and when that doesn't happen it's usually a goaltender standing on his head. I like the Bruins chances. Rask is better than Crawford and hotter right now. Playing the Pens should also be good prep for what the Hawks will bring.

I think the Pats have been arguably as good as anyone over the last couple seasons, hurt obviously by Gronk's absence in the playoffs, but one or two mistakes can be the diffence. There's no game 2 to bounce back.

While QB has the most direct effect on wins it's not quite the same as goaltending in hockey. While much is made of who to blame for recent Pats losses, especially in the SB, when these games come down to one or two plays, as both SB losses did, arguably all facets played well enough to win and it just didn't quite break their way.

I'm very optimistic for the Pats this year and while not a Bruins fan normally I started cheering for them in Rd1 against the Leafs and would like to see them close the deal. I actually think they will.

Good points.  If each Pat team played the Jint team (of each year) best of 3 or best of 5 - I think the Pats would win.  But it's a woulda', coulda', shoulda' type thing.  Hey the Jints game-planned well, and took us down - hats off to them.  And a "one game for championship" is the beauty of the SB - don't matter how you got there - you win it - and you're the champ.  GO PATS!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to gr82bme's comment:

Good points.  If each Pat team played the Jint team (of each year) best of 3 or best of 5 - I think the Pats would win.  But it's a woulda', coulda', shoulda' type thing.  Hey the Jints game-planned well, and took us down - hats off to them.  And a "one game for championship" is the beauty of the SB - don't matter how you got there - you win it - and you're the champ.  GO PATS!

To your point of the Giants game planning well. The MVP of 42 should have been Steve Spagnoulo, he confused and out schemed the Pat's O line for almost the entire game. They lined up players in different spots and executed stunts to perfection. My hat is off to him for accomplishing something no other team could that year against the Pat's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

Haha fair enough. I'm no Pitt fan but I think Cooke has cleaned his game up the past couple years. Sens fans can jump all over their conspiracies that he cut Karlssons leg but I don't buy it. 

[/QUOTE]

Conspiracy? Not sure what you mean?

Cooke cut Karlsson's achilles. There's no doubt about that, it's documented. Whether he did it on purpose is the only question. To me it seems obvious he intended to kick the back of his leg with his skate.  Why else would his leg be lifted like that, it's not a natural move.

If you want to believe it was an accident, go ahead. But there's no conspiracy there, and no question about what took place.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Conspiracy? Not sure what you mean?

Cooke cut Karlsson's achilles. There's no doubt about that, it's documented. Whether he did it on purpose is the only question. To me it seems obvious he intended to kick the back of his leg with his skate.  Why else would his leg be lifted like that, it's not a natural move.

If you want to believe it was an accident, go ahead. But there's no conspiracy there, and no question about what took place.

When I first saw it (haven't seen it in a while) I thought that the lifting of his leg was not a premeditated move but rather he caught an edge and lost his balance going into the boards with Karlson.

However, it certainly looked like he brought his leg down with more force than necessary and in a pretty distinguishable kicking motion. I don't think he planned it to begin with but saw a good opportunity and took it.

I didn't think Cooke was that bad in this series though, the hit on McQuaid didn't warrant a major penalty and a  game misconduct in my opinion. I would have been fine with two minutes for boarding in that situation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

When I first saw it (haven't seen it in a while) I thought that the lifting of his leg was not a premeditated move but rather he caught an edge and lost his balance going into the boards with Karlson.

However, it certainly looked like he brought his leg down with more force than necessary and in a pretty distinguishable kicking motion. I don't think he planned it to begin with but saw a good opportunity and took it.

I didn't think Cooke was that bad in this series though, the hit on McQuaid didn't warrant a major penalty and a  game misconduct in my opinion. I would have been fine with two minutes for boarding in that situation.

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, you can believe what you want about his intentions, I guess we'll never know. But there's no doubt about that fact that he cut Karlsson, and saska seemed to be questioning that.

Frankly I don't care if the guy cleaned up his act, he's the same P.O.S. that intentionally ended Savard's career, among other things. Guys like him and Sean Avery shouldn't be allowed to play if you ask me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

Like I said, you can believe what you want about his intentions, I guess we'll never know. But there's no doubt about that fact that he cut Karlsson, and saska seemed to be questioning that.

Frankly I don't care if the guy cleaned up his act, he's the same P.O.S. that intentionally ended Savard's career, among other things. Guys like him and Sean Avery shouldn't be allowed to play if you ask me.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Cooke did not cut Karlsson's leg, I am saying all of Ottawa, including their crazy owner Melnyk were downright positive that Cooke meant to cut it. That's what I mean by conspiracy. 

The game of hockey is way too quick and the skate blades are way too sharp to deem whether or not that play was intential or not. Personally, I did not see it as malicious intent at all. 

I guess I forget that you guys don't have the same media coverage of hockey as we do up here in Canada where we had to hear for about 4 months straight about whether or not the cutting was intential. 

Saying that, if he did mean to do it, hopefully Cooke get's what is coming to him some day. In no way am I defending what he does. I would rather see a talented playmaker like Savard still in the game than a guy like Cooke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

very true-there is no position in sports that have the effect a goalie can-not even QB as important as that position is and has become even moreso recently

a hot/topnotch goalie can make a .500 team competitive and even maybe win the Cup...no QB can do that, no center or guard in basketball, no pitcher or everyday baseball player, even the greats

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

There are some similarities to be sure. Though I tend to think the Pats have become the Manning-led Indianapolis Colts. 

The difference is you could never count the Colts out, whereas in some of these games the Penguins looked beaten. Like the Colts the Pats can always come back on you and you don't breath easy till the clock runs out. But if your defense is stout you like your chances. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Yup.  Hellofa D.  And the B's only scored once against a team that scores 4 a game.

Rask.  Your goalie is always your best impact player with hockey, just like your QB in football.  You know nothing about hockey, so it's not hard to see why you don't get this fact.  lol

Dopey liar.

You know nothing about me so keep your stupid opinions to yourself.

But just FYI, Started playing hockey at 4 as my dad was a HS and City league coach.  He coached many guys that went on to play in the NHL, to include a current coach. ( and no, I will not tell you which one)

I also played in HS.  My brother played on an international team and even my baby sister played as the only female on the intramural league.

I have not kept up with it as much after moving to Texas as football is prevalent and I am extremely busy throughout the hockey season, and have forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know in a lifetime.

Chara saved the game tying goal although Raask was exceptional against a high scoring team.  That's defense!  DUH

Pats need a D that can win games, Period. 

Unfortunately we have not seen that for 5 years. 

Your deflections and agenda will NOT change that!

Grow up!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Rask.  Your goalie is always your best impact player with hockey, just like your QB in football.  You know nothing about hockey, so it's not hard to see why you don't get this fact.  lol

Dopey liar.

You know nothing about me so keep your stupid opinions to yourself.

But just FYI, Started playing hockey at 4 as my dad was a HS and City league coach.  He coached many guys that went on to play in the NHL, to include a current coach. ( and no, I will not tell you which one)

I also played in HS.  My brother played on an international team and even my baby sister played as the only female on the intramural league.

I have not kept up with it as much after moving to Texas as football is prevalent and I am extremely busy throughout the hockey season, but have more knowledge and experience in my baby finger than you will ever have in a lifetime.

Chara saved the game tying goal although Raask was exceptional against a high scoring team.  That's defense!  DUH

Pats need a D that can win games, Period. 

Unfortunately we have not seen that for 5 years. 

Your deflections and agenda will NOT change that!

Grow up!

Baloney. You didn't play or play competitively.  I can say the same. I played with someone who plays in the NHL right now. 

You live in Texas, too? Ugh.  Hockey actually took off BIG TIME in Dallas with rinks sprouting up all over since their Cup in 1999. You should know that even if you don't live in the Dallas area. I bet even Salcon knows that living in Fort Worth.

Look, I am not here to compete with you on what you know on the game, but I can tell you don't know as much as you think you do.   You probably played a little bit of street hockey and were average at best as an athlete growing up. Big deal.  I could rattle off my resume here, too, but I won't bother. There's a ton of great players who came through Eastern MA in the last 30 years and some of us played alongside them.    It's a small world.

Chara's incredible and lucky save the other night is what it takes to win.  But, Rask is the guy who tipped the scales in that series.   Go ask the Pitt players and their coach.

A goalie in hockey is VERY similar to an ace pitcher in baseball or a QB.   THOSE are the players who can tip the scales, especially in cap leagues like the NFL or NHL.

Learn the game. Some positions are VITAL as to how far a team can go. Pretty simple stuff. If Rask or Tim Thomas 2 years ago played an inferior fashion, we lose or don't win that Cup 2 years ago. PLAIN AND SIMPLE and not debatable.

Again, you know nothing and I don't give a flying flip what you believe.

I am very aware there are rinks in Texas and occasionally go to watch my friend's son play.

I have not picked up or put on skates in 30 yrs which is longer than you have claimed to play.

I sincerely doubt you have ever played any sport, period and especially now as, 1; you have no concept of the word  "team" and 2, it's pretty difficult to play anything when you are on the blogs 24/7/365.    Playing usually requires being somewhere OTHER than on the computer in your mom's basement  LMAO@U! 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts