Similarities Between Pittsburgh Penguins and New England Patriots Come Playoff Time?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: Similarities Between Pittsburgh Penguins and New England Patriots Come Playoff Time?

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to gr82bme's comment:

In response to stegall85's comment:

The two big differences between the two sports are the long series v. one loss and you're out and then combined with the ability of one position in hockey, goaltender, to virtually single-handedly change the outcome. I appreciate that's not exactly a news flash.

You would expect the better team to emerge over a 7 game series and when that doesn't happen it's usually a goaltender standing on his head. I like the Bruins chances. Rask is better than Crawford and hotter right now. Playing the Pens should also be good prep for what the Hawks will bring.

I think the Pats have been arguably as good as anyone over the last couple seasons, hurt obviously by Gronk's absence in the playoffs, but one or two mistakes can be the diffence. There's no game 2 to bounce back.

While QB has the most direct effect on wins it's not quite the same as goaltending in hockey. While much is made of who to blame for recent Pats losses, especially in the SB, when these games come down to one or two plays, as both SB losses did, arguably all facets played well enough to win and it just didn't quite break their way.

I'm very optimistic for the Pats this year and while not a Bruins fan normally I started cheering for them in Rd1 against the Leafs and would like to see them close the deal. I actually think they will.

Good points.  If each Pat team played the Jint team (of each year) best of 3 or best of 5 - I think the Pats would win.  But it's a woulda', coulda', shoulda' type thing.  Hey the Jints game-planned well, and took us down - hats off to them.  And a "one game for championship" is the beauty of the SB - don't matter how you got there - you win it - and you're the champ.  GO PATS!

To your point of the Giants game planning well. The MVP of 42 should have been Steve Spagnoulo, he confused and out schemed the Pat's O line for almost the entire game. They lined up players in different spots and executed stunts to perfection. My hat is off to him for accomplishing something no other team could that year against the Pat's.

With two weeks to gameplan for the SB, you have to expect that teams will be able to pretty much stop what you normally do...unless you have an overwhelming running game to set up your pass offense you'll be stopped....there are just too many ways to bring pressure if you play against a D that has , not just a good, but a great DL....without a running game to draw the front 7 into jamming the line, which is far different than trying to stop the pass, you will be lost if the D on the other side is decent, let along good or great....if they know your first option is topass, they can tee off on you...if you notice, the DL will actually take a different stance, almost like a track stance, to rush the passer.

All good points that contributed to the DL dominance but if you go back and look at the game they took all of their DLineman and put them in different formations and schemes throughout the game. They flooded certain zones on the pass rush and lined up justin Tuck in all different positions along the line.

To your point the Pat's were actually running the ball well going into that game but Antonio Pierce had a monster game against the run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Similarities Between Pittsburgh Penguins and New England Patriots Come Playoff Time?

In response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to NOISE's comment:

the ole saying is,  offense wins games, defense wins championships!

Yup.  Hellofa D.  And the B's only scored once against a team that scores 4 a game.

Imagine that!  Wish the Pats had a D that could win a game.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO    T.E.A.M!!!!

Rask.  Your goalie is always your best impact player with hockey, just like your QB in football.  You know nothing about hockey, so it's not hard to see why you don't get this fact.  lol

Dopey liar.

You know nothing about me so keep your stupid opinions to yourself.

But just FYI, Started playing hockey at 4 as my dad was a HS and City league coach.  He coached many guys that went on to play in the NHL, to include a current coach. ( and no, I will not tell you which one)

I also played in HS.  My brother played on an international team and even my baby sister played as the only female on the intramural league.

I have not kept up with it as much after moving to Texas as football is prevalent and I am extremely busy throughout the hockey season, but have more knowledge and experience in my baby finger than you will ever have in a lifetime.

Chara saved the game tying goal although Raask was exceptional against a high scoring team.  That's defense!  DUH

Pats need a D that can win games, Period. 

Unfortunately we have not seen that for 5 years. 

Your deflections and agenda will NOT change that!

Grow up!

Baloney. You didn't play or play competitively.  I can say the same. I played with someone who plays in the NHL right now. 

You live in Texas, too? Ugh.  Hockey actually took off BIG TIME in Dallas with rinks sprouting up all over since their Cup in 1999. You should know that even if you don't live in the Dallas area. I bet even Salcon knows that living in Fort Worth.

Look, I am not here to compete with you on what you know on the game, but I can tell you don't know as much as you think you do.   You probably played a little bit of street hockey and were average at best as an athlete growing up. Big deal.  I could rattle off my resume here, too, but I won't bother. There's a ton of great players who came through Eastern MA in the last 30 years and some of us played alongside them.    It's a small world.

Chara's incredible and lucky save the other night is what it takes to win.  But, Rask is the guy who tipped the scales in that series.   Go ask the Pitt players and their coach.

A goalie in hockey is VERY similar to an ace pitcher in baseball or a QB.   THOSE are the players who can tip the scales, especially in cap leagues like the NFL or NHL.

Learn the game. Some positions are VITAL as to how far a team can go. Pretty simple stuff. If Rask or Tim Thomas 2 years ago played an inferior fashion, we lose or don't win that Cup 2 years ago. PLAIN AND SIMPLE and not debatable.

Again, you know nothing and I don't give a flying flip what you believe.

I am very aware there are rinks in Texas and occasionally go to watch my friend's son play.

I have not picked up or put on skates in 30 yrs which is longer than you have claimed to play.

I sincerely doubt you have ever played any sport, period and especially now as, 1; you have no concept of the word t"team" and 2, it's pretty difficult to play anything when you are on the blogs 24/7/365.    Playing usually requires being somewhere OTHER than your mom's basement  LMAO@U! 

I am fairly certain you are an old man at this point and simply have fallen off the map in terms of following the NHL. I've seen the B's in the postseason, going back 10+ years, when they've been on the road, most notably here in Carolina.

You have not.  You moved to Texas with all that crappy wind and heat with the strip malls and I have had the NHL Center Ice package for 8 years.  Big difference.

My parents don't live here. My parents don't live in Chicago where I lived for 5 years.   So, there is no basement.

2 years ago I was at a conference in Chicago and it was right after the B's gloriously won the CUp for the first time in my life.  Pulled out my retro Orr jersey (either that or my Bourque one), which I never wear at all, and wore it to a concert as I caught up with some friends I made there.   The Hawks fans were just coming off their first Cup in decades as well. They had won the year earlier and each organization is/was VERY similar. Abusive owners, cheap, sneaky, duping the fans, each played in amazing, old arenas, etc.  The Hawks fans are good fans and it should be a great series. Of course, you can't even name  one player on the Hawks right now. lol

Please don't lecture me about being a B's fan or growing up playing competitive hockey. I skated circles around kids 3 and 4 years old than I did for crying out loud.

[/QUOTE]

You freak!

I don't care whose basement you post from but I do know it's impossible to play sports while on the computer 24/7/365.

Orr Retired in 78, you dope!  The year you were born?  Lol  You never saw him play! Not in person and not in Chicago,  unless you are also lying about your age.  Why not!  You lie about everything else.

Not only have I watched him play a 100 times as I went to more than a dozen games a year but he is a friend of my dads and has visited my parents home numerous times.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

response to Bunker Spreckles' comment:

Yup.  Hellofa D.  And the B's only scored once against a team that scores 4 a game.

Rask.  Your goalie is always your best impact player with hockey, just like your QB in football.  You know nothing about hockey, so it's not hard to see why you don't get this fact.  lol

Dopey liar.

But just FYI, Started playing hockey at 4 as my dad was a HS and City league coach.  He coached many guys that went on to play in the NHL, to include a current coach. ( and no, I will not tell you which one)

I also played in HS.  My brother played on an international team and even my baby sister played as the only female on the intramural league.

I have not kept up with it as much after moving to Texas as football is prevalent and I am extremely busy throughout the hockey season, but have more knowledge and experience in my baby finger than you will ever have in a lifetime.

Chara saved the game tying goal although Raask was exceptional against a high scoring team.  That's defense!  DUH

Grow up!

Baloney. You didn't play or play competitively.  I can say the same. I played with someone who plays in the NHL right now. 

You live in Texas, too? Ugh.  Hockey actually took off BIG TIME in Dallas with rinks sprouting up all over since their Cup in 1999. You should know that even if you don't live in the Dallas area. I bet even Salcon knows that living in Fort Worth.

Look, I am not here to compete with you on what you know on the game, but I can tell you don't know as much as you think you do.   You probably played a little bit of street hockey and were average at best as an athlete growing up. Big deal.  I could rattle off my resume here, too, but I won't bother. There's a ton of great players who came through Eastern MA in the last 30 years and some of us played alongside them.    It's a small world.

Chara's incredible and lucky save the other night is what it takes to win.  But, Rask is the guy who tipped the scales in that series.   Go ask the Pitt players and their coach.

A goalie in hockey is VERY similar to an ace pitcher in baseball or a QB.   THOSE are the players who can tip the scales, especially in cap leagues like the NFL or NHL.

Learn the game. Some positions are VITAL as to how far a team can go. Pretty simple stuff. If Rask or Tim Thomas 2 years ago played an inferior fashion, we lose or don't win that Cup 2 years ago. PLAIN AND SIMPLE and not debatable.

I am very aware there are rinks in Texas and occasionally go to watch my friend's son play.

I have not picked up or put on skates in 30 yrs which is longer than you have claimed to play.

I sincerely doubt you have ever played any sport, period and especially now as, 1; you have no concept of the word t"team" and 2, it's pretty difficult to play anything when you are on the blogs 24/7/365.    Playing usually requires being somewhere OTHER than your mom's basement  LMAO@U! 

I am fairly certain you are an old man at this point and simply have fallen off the map in terms of following the NHL. I've seen the B's in the postseason, going back 10+ years, when they've been on the road, most notably here in Carolina.

You have not.  You moved to Texas with all that crappy wind and heat with the strip malls and I have had the NHL Center Ice package for 8 years.  Big difference.

My parents don't live here. My parents don't live in Chicago where I lived for 5 years.   So, there is no basement.

2 years ago I was at a conference in Chicago and it was right after the B's gloriously won the CUp for the first time in my life.  Pulled out my retro Orr jersey (either that or my Bourque one), which I never wear at all, and wore it to a concert as I caught up with some friends I made there.   The Hawks fans were just coming off their first Cup in decades as well. They had won the year earlier and each organization is/was VERY similar. Abusive owners, cheap, sneaky, duping the fans, each played in amazing, old arenas, etc.  The Hawks fans are good fans and it should be a great series. Of course, you can't even name  one player on the Hawks right now. lol

Please don't lecture me about being a B's fan or growing up playing competitive hockey. I skated circles around kids 3 and 4 years old than I did for crying out loud.

You freak!

I don't care whose basement you post from but I do know it's impossible to play sports while on the computer 24/7/365.

Orr Retired in 78, you dope!  The year you were born?  Lol  You never saw him play! Not in person and not in Chicago,  unless you are also lying about your age.  Why not!  You lie about everything else.

Not only have I watched him play a 100 times as I went to more than a dozen games a year but he is a friend of my dads and has visited my parents home numerous times.

Did you just say Orr visits your house? LOL!!! Unglued! bawahah

Didn't take long this time, folks. Poor Pezzy.

Sure, just like when Pete Brady told his friends Joe Namath stopped by or when Chunk told his Goonie buddies that Michael Jackson stopped in to use the bathroom. Tears!

I love it when you panic and try to outdo me in a discussion or debate. It's always obvious when you get desperate. 

Who cares if I never saw Orr play?  My whole family did and the stories are legendary, obviously.  Bourque is the best defenseman ever if not for Orr existing, that's how great Orr was. I didn't say I saw him play in Chicago either. How dumb can you be?  Can you even read anymore?   I was on the internet when I was in high school? There was no internet, you moron. What are you even saying at this point?

Oh my. It doesn't take you much to become unglued, does it?  You went from moving to Texas to trying to tell us you were a competitive hockey player to now Orr visiting your house.  lmao

[/QUOTE]

All true he and numerous other Bruins and the NHL coach have visited, ate dinner, hung out.  I played, my brother played, my sister played and my dad was a coach.

I relocated to Texas via US ARMY,  bought a ton of acreage and never left.

Not unglued in the least, but you seem to be.   Ha!  YOU never saw Orr play or even sniffed his jersey.  

LOL!  It doesn't take much to" out do" you  Is that why you created the Rally BS persona?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

One big difference between playing the Penguins and the Blackhawks will be coaching. I have always like both Quenneville and Bylsma, but Quenneville is probably one of the top 5 coaches in the game right now. Unlike Bylsma, I think Quenneville will make the proper adjustments within the games to Boston's defense. As much as I think Crosby is the best player in the world, I believe the line of Toews, Bickell and Kaner/Hossa, will create more problems for the Bruins. It is quite a dynamic line of size and skill. Then roll out Sharp, Saad, Hossa, lots of depth (for both teams).

Having said that, if Rask stands on his head, it will make things tough on the Hawks. But we have also seen Rask play average (against the Leafs), so it's not like this cup run is Giguere circa 2003, where he carried the Mighty Ducks every round. Sometimes you need a little luck.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

One big difference between playing the Penguins and the Blackhawks will be coaching. I have always like both Quenneville and Bylsma, but Quenneville is probably one of the top 5 coaches in the game right now. Unlike Bylsma, I think Quenneville will make the proper adjustments within the games to Boston's defense. As much as I think Crosby is the best player in the world, I believe the line of Toews, Bickell and Kaner/Hossa, will create more problems for the Bruins. It is quite a dynamic line of size and skill. Then roll out Sharp, Saad, Hossa, lots of depth (for both teams).

Having said that, if Rask stands on his head, it will make things tough on the Hawks. But we have also seen Rask play average (against the Leafs), so it's not like this cup run is Giguere circa 2003, where he carried the Mighty Ducks every round. Sometimes you need a little luck.

The Hawks remind me more of Vancouver in '11 than the current Pens, at least personnel wise. Lot of skill and speed, probably better defensively than Vancouver was and better goaltending. I don't remember Vancouver having anyone comparable to Keith, who is excellent (from the little I've watched them play). I don't see this being a short series. 

One of the best things about this series is there is zero familiarity. Kind of like it used to be in baseball, before interleague play. The way it should be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

Dopey liar.

Grow up!

You freak!

Sure, just like when Pete Brady told his friends Joe Namath stopped by or when Chunk told his Goonie buddies that Michael Jackson stopped in to use the bathroom. Tears!

I love it when you panic and try to outdo me in a discussion or debate. It's always obvious when you get desperate. 

Who cares if I never saw Orr play?  My whole family did and the stories are legendary, obviously.  Bourque is the best defenseman ever if not for Orr existing, that's how great Orr was. I didn't say I saw him play in Chicago either. How dumb can you be?  Can you even read anymore?   I was on the internet when I was in high school? There was no internet, you moron. What are you even saying at this point?

Oh my. It doesn't take you much to become unglued, does it?  You went from moving to Texas to trying to tell us you were a competitive hockey player to now Orr visiting your house.  lmao

All true he and numerous other Bruins and the NHL coach have visited, ate dinner, hung out.  I played, my brother played, my sister played and my dad was a coach.

Not unglued in the least, but you seem to be.   Ha!  YOU never saw Orr play or even sniffed his jersey.  

LOL!  It doesn't take much to" out do" you  Is that why you created the Rally BS persona?

The fact you are seriously dumb enough to think RallyC and myself are the same person with you claiming Bobby Orr took time out to pat you on the head over dinner in your house as a kid, are two examples reflecting on your delusions. I mean, YOWZA.

Absolutely priceless.

Do you even know what unglued means?  You trying to sound intelligent and then using my words back in my direction is also something that won't work.   You try to do that all time, old man.  It's when you are out of bullets. You get desperate, lie, make things up and then get caught.

You don't know hockey. Ya don't. And I can smell crap a mile away like I did with RKrap and others here. 

I've seen some delusional people here before, but you'd really done a bang up job.  Stay in Texas, too.  Place sucks (unless you live in Austin in the city). lol

[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Many people think you and Rally BS are the same, or at the very least, virtual lovers!

Like I said and for the last time, forgot more about hockey then you will ever know.  Period!

Your worthlessness and your lies and your defections, will never change that.

Do you think players never go any where?  They visit friends and acquaintances just like the rest of us.  (yourself excluded as it's very clear that you don't have any)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Dopey liar.

Grow up!

You freak!

The fact you are seriously dumb enough to think RallyC and myself are the same person with you claiming Bobby Orr took time out to pat you on the head over dinner in your house as a kid, are two examples reflecting on your delusions. I mean, YOWZA.

Absolutely priceless.

Do you even know what unglued means?  You trying to sound intelligent and then using my words back in my direction is also something that won't work.   You try to do that all time, old man.  It's when you are out of bullets. You get desperate, lie, make things up and then get caught.

You don't know hockey. Ya don't. And I can smell crap a mile away like I did with RKrap and others here. 

I've seen some delusional people here before, but you'd really done a bang up job.  Stay in Texas, too.  Place sucks (unless you live in Austin in the city). lol

Ha!  Many people think you and Rally BS are the same, or at the very least, virtual lovers!

Like I said and for the last time, forgot more about hockey then you will ever know.  Period!

Your worthlessness and your lies and your defections, will never change that.

Do you think players never go any where?  They visit friends and acquaintances just like the rest of us.  (yourself excluded as it's very clear that you don't have any)

Not that this is worth more of a response than I've already given it, but MANY people who think RallyC and I are one and the same, are apparently really stupid.  Sorry, but there is no way to tapdance around how embarrassing that is.

I am not questioning the personal time of Bobby Orr.

I am saying you are not being genuine with your attempt at gaining leverage talking about hockey.  What's even funnier is the Bruins didn't have a goalie and the Pats didn't have a QB, yet when each franchise got one, they won it all.  Yet, you see know comparison there.  Sure you know a lot about hockey. Sure.  Average Qb play or or average goalie play wins championships. Sure.

I know for a fact you don't know much about hockey because you have never once commented on it here before. Open a debate topic on the game, any aspect you want, and I will bury you. Bury you.

I get paid to sniff out bluffs, Pezzy. You're bluffing/lying.  Pretty pathetic for some guy in texas in his 40s so obsessed with Tom Brady, he is now jumping through hoops in a hockey thread trying tell us he had meatloaf and mashed potatoes with Bobby Orr back in the 1980s. lol

Interesting deflection approach, but it's so beyond not believable, it's priceless you've chosen to embarrass yourself all in one fell swoop like that.

"NHL coach". I mean, you can't even name the coach of the Bruins at the time who you are referencing. You said the "NHL coach".  The Bruins didn't have that many different coaches when Orr was playing here or afterwards (minus in the mid 80s before they brought in O'Reilly, so you should easily be able to name that coach.

Caught.

Umm, I said a Current NHL coach who my dad coached as a tyke.  And yes, he has come back to visit my dad many times.

I don't comment on hockey because this is a Pats forum.  I also don't comment on the other sports I played nor the business I own which is sports related.

You see, I have no reason for false bravado, unlike you and your rally bs persona.

Tell us about your division 1 hockey playing days again at UNC ?   BWAHAHAHA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from saskpatsfan. Show saskpatsfan's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to saskpatsfan's comment:

[QUOTE]

The Hawks remind me more of Vancouver in '11 than the current Pens, at least personnel wise. Lot of skill and speed, probably better defensively than Vancouver was and better goaltending. I don't remember Vancouver having anyone comparable to Keith, who is excellent (from the little I've watched them play). I don't see this being a short series. 

One of the best things about this series is there is zero familiarity. Kind of like it used to be in baseball, before interleague play. The way it should be.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah to be honest I enjoyed a shorter more compact season with no interleague play. Seemed like there were at least 5 games on every night and everyone was fighting for a playoff spot from start to finish. One bad thing about the NHL is that during games 35-50 in the regular season, it seems like the two teams are just going through the motions out there.

I want to say this series will go 7 but I also did not expect the Bruins to sweep the Pens so who knows. IMO I think the Hawks have looked the most dangerous from start to finish and with the B's coming on so strong the past two series I can not see this being a short one.