Since 2004

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Since 2004

Now that Polian is no longer joined to Fiveheads hip, you might be right Noise!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

Offense wins games, defense wins championships!

Well in order to win championships you need to win games. So it takes both.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

also ur opine about gronk, talib etc would have led to a different outcome is typical.

I think any fair assessment would admit the outcome might have been different if Talib and Gronk were playing. Gronk is a world class weapon and Talib has been seen universally as a key component in making the Pats' D somewhat formidable rather than a joke. Other than Brady or possibly Welker there were no more important guys on the team than those two. Be objective.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Since winning their last championship in the 2004 season, the Patriots have not won any Super Bowls but have certainly been knocking at the door more consistently than any other team. Obviously, they have the most regular season wins(98), but they also have the most playoff appearances(7, missed playoffs in 2008 with 11-5 record), the most playoff games played(15), the second most playoff wins(8) and are only lacking in Super Bowl wins, Steelers(2), Giants(2).

Playoff records since 2005
    Regular season     05   06    07   08    09  10   11   12   Total
    Steelers   (82-46)  4-0  0-0  0-1  3-0  0-0  2-1  0-1  0-0  9-3
    Patriots    (98-30)  1-1  2-1  2-1  0-0  0-1  0-1  2-1  1-1  8-7
    Ravens     (78-50)  0-0  0-1  0-0  2-1  1-1  1-1  1-1  3-0  8-5
    Giants       (77-51)  0-1  0-1  4-0  0-1  0-0  0-0  4-0  0-0  8-3
    Colts         (86-40)  0-1  4-0  0-1  0-1  2-1  0-1  0-0  0-1  7-6
    Seahawks (66-62) 2-1  1-1  1-1  0-0  0-0  1-1  0-0  1-1  6-5
    Packers    (78-50)  0-0  0-0  1-1  0-0  0-1  4-0  0-1  1-1  6-4
    Saints       (72-56)   0-0  1-1  0-0  0-0  3-0  0-1  1-1  0-0  5-3
    Cardinals  (55-73)  0-0  0-0  0-0  3-1  1-1  0-0  0-0  0-0  4-2
    Bears        (76-52)   0-1  2-1  0-0  0-0  0-0  1-1  0-0  0-0  3-3
    49ers     (61-66-1)   0-0  0-0  0-0  0-0  0-0  0-0  1-1  2-0  3-1

The only problem is since 2008 they are 3-4 in Playoff games!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

Too bad they do not give trophies or banners for being well run (maybe they can print their own up like the 16-0 banner - "New England Patriots BEST REGULAR SEASON RECORD 2005-2012"). You might as well be in late 80's/early 90's Bills. Yeah, we have been one of the best teams in the NFL for the past 8 seasons without ever being the best... Two teams have won multiple Super Bowls since the Patriots last one. You really would rather have more playoff appearances over championships?

This is like the 16-0 banner hanging up at Gillette (I cannot stand to look at that thing). I just hope the team is not satifisied with second place...

The Bills went to the Super Bowl four straight years. That's incredible. The Patriots finished in the top 4 this year and top 2 last year with a young team. I'm happy with that.

I just do not see how you can measure success without taking championships into account. I would argue the Steelers and Giants have both been more successful in the stretch winning two Super Bowls each despite each missing the playoffs three times.

Even the Colts could be considered more successful. They are second only two the Patriots in regular season wins. They made the playoffs the same number of times. They went to the Super Bowl the same number of times and even won it once.

Another thing I am sick of hearing, this team is not as young as the people. It was the youngest defense in the NFL that is true. The offense was not that young. Both starting guards were 30, the QB was 35 (only Peyton is an older starting QB in the NFL), the top to WRs were 31 and the third WR was 33.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Too bad they do not give trophies or banners for being well run (maybe they can print their own up like the 16-0 banner - "New England Patriots BEST REGULAR SEASON RECORD 2005-2012"). You might as well be in late 80's/early 90's Bills. Yeah, we have been one of the best teams in the NFL for the past 8 seasons without ever being the best... Two teams have won multiple Super Bowls since the Patriots last one. You really would rather have more playoff appearances over championships?

This is like the 16-0 banner hanging up at Gillette (I cannot stand to look at that thing). I just hope the team is not satifisied with second place...

The Bills went to the Super Bowl four straight years. That's incredible. The Patriots finished in the top 4 this year and top 2 last year with a young team. I'm happy with that.

I just do not see how you can measure success without taking championships into account. I would argue the Steelers and Giants have both been more successful in the stretch winning two Super Bowls each despite each missing the playoffs three times.

Even the Colts could be considered more successful. They are second only two the Patriots in regular season wins. They made the playoffs the same number of times. They went to the Super Bowl the same number of times and even won it once.

Another thing I am sick of hearing, this team is not as young as the people. It was the youngest defense in the NFL that is true. The offense was not that young. Both starting guards were 30, the QB was 35 (only Peyton is an older starting QB in the NFL), the top to WRs were 31 and the third WR was 33.

if the measure of a successful franchises is determined by the teams ability to win Super Bowls...in the last decade which would be 2003 to the present the Patriot have won twice, so too have the Steelers and Giants. If we shorted that timeline to this decade meaning from 2010 to the present.  Then the debate for who is the best team of this decade is wide open. It's all in how one frames the argument.

Are the Patriots heading into next season the team to beat in the AFC, no. That distiction belongs to the Ravens who are representing the AFC in the Superbowl..Will the Patriots once agian be in the conversation for the best team in the AFC next season. one could argue that they're are they a player or two away from being in the argument. Baring an injury to Brady, will likely win 12 or more games and hoist another AFC east flag....

Again if you consider what they've accomplished in the salary cap era having played in 5 Super Bowls and 7 championship games since 2001 and still possess the ability to be there again next year. How can one, if they are truly being objective, not conclude that they deserve to be recognized among the best run franchises in all of sport and certainly have earned that distiction in the NFL. If we've learned anything in the last 5 years it's not easy to get to the Superbowl and once there the margin of error is very slim. 

So yes the Patriots franchise in the last decade plus rightfully has earned the distiction of being in the conversation as one of the best of all time....the current team has earned only the right to claim itself a good football team. Last year's squad and next years squad can only live on the merits of their accomplishments...the past two seasons the Patriots fell short in the Superbowl, and this year in the AFC Championship game. hard to argue that they stunk up the joint...both teams were among the best in the AFC. time will tell what next years team can accomplish...the good news for all fans of the Patriots and bads news for Jets fans, is they'll be in the mix again and come January of 2014 the quest for a place in history will be once more within the grasp of every one of the players, coaches and trainers of the New England Patriots. we the fans are just along for the ride...might as well enjoy it...because this era will come to a close and like all of the dynastic teams of days gone bye...the nature of the sport suggest that winning is cyclical and one needs look to further then this years Superbowl for the evidence of just how long it takes to return  ....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PhatRex's comment:

Hmmm, I'm a little disspointed in you.  You're not a whiner.  It 's usually Queenie with the tears about injuries.  C'mon -  this is the best GM in football with the deepest roster in the NFL and cap management skills not even close to equaled in the salary cap era. You had like 6 TEs.  2012 was the unveiling of the 5 TE offense.  Now, your crying becasue of missing Gronk?  The dude is made of glass.  Talib was a rental that finally covered for first round bust McCourty.  Say goodbye.

And no mention of Baltimore missing their top CB?

So, what's your point?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Point being the Patriots have the best run professional team in all of sports.

Would you rather be a team that has never been to the SB or only once or does not have a shot?

I'd rather a team like the Pats that you know has a shot at the SB every year

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

point also being they have tom brady and play in an abominable division now for over a decade

and sorry no team that has not won a championship in now 9 years is the best run

gee ever heard of the devils? lakers? spurs? red wings? st louis cardinals?

But said team has people like you on their forums taking shot after shot so said team must obviously be doing something right to keep people like you coming back! If said team is not one of the "best run" then why are you really here?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

The 1990's Atlants Braves of the NFL. All show, no "go" when it counts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Would you rather be a team that has never been to the SB or only once or does not have a shot?

Not going to a SB and noit winning a SB is one in teh same.... NO trophy goes hiome, just disappointment and vanilla excuses like: "They outplayed us (Well, gee!)!", "We need to execute better... (Duh!)",  "We need to eliminate those dumb mistakes.... (He graduated from college, right?)".

This all fits the end of the season question/answer session of a NFL team NOT going to the playoffs, as well as the Pats end of post season pay conference. There is no difference. Frankly, I'd be surprised as all get out if this same bunch played the same way and WON the SB, as much as I'd be surprised if the Jags made it and won. One never did it, and the other can't remember how to do it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

I would rather a team that wins the Super Bowl. I would still rather have won 25% of the last eight Super Bowls while missing the playoffs 3 times (Giants & Steelers), then just being "in the conversation" every year.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to sporter81's comment:

Obviously, but they need their best player to be their best player again, too.

yep, but at 36 its a lot to ask. i'd like to see them change their offensive philosophy, become more  physical and less finesse.  ballard, along with a healthy gronk out there should help. 

Agree. Been asking for it for 3 years. It's the only way.  The Welker divorce is the key to that happening.

I was all for giving him the chance to make it work, but how much more can we see?

Get Brady back under center, run it more and make Brady more effective circa 2003 or 2004.

Take the targets away from Welker, put them in the hands of an RB.

Yes, it's awell known fact that the only way to improve a QB's production from say top offense in the NFL to ??? is to remove his 100+ catch WR and replace him with dos or tres Ochos.

Hey, do you think Mark Sanchez will find a spot in the CFL next year?  #5 pick overall, traded up for, 50+ million invested.

Might be the worst investment in the NFL next to Jamarcus Russell and David Carr.

But, you enjoy!

No, I am pretty sure he'll be with the Jets.  You need to examine your football knowledge just a bit.  Mark Sanchez has been in the NFL 4 years.  He was had one losing season, has to the playoffs twice, he has 4 playoff wins and has been to the AFC Championship game twice.  And you're trying to make some sort of comparrison btween him, Jamarcus & Carr? 

God you're an idiot. 

Sanchez is for his career; 33W-29L, a 71 passer rating, has more picks than TDs and a 5.5 Y/A.

That's pathetic.