Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft?

Here's the Colts last 5 years of draft history.  I recognize the first round picks but not most of the others.  Underdoggg, Colts fans, anybody know how many of these players are starters.  Who's still on the team.

1.27 RB  Donald Brown  Connecticut   
    2.24 DL  Fili Moala  Southern California  from MIA
    3.28 DB  Jerraud Powers  Auburn   
    4.27 WR  Austin Collie  Brigham Young   
    4.36 DL  Terrance Taylor  Michigan  compensatory pick
    6.28 QB  Curtis Painter  Purdue   
    7.13 P  Pat McAfee  West Virginia  from NO through PHI
    7.27 OL  Jaimie Thomas  Maryland   
    2.28 OL  Mike Pollak  Arizona State   
    3.30 LB  Philip Wheeler  Georgia Tech   
    4.28 TE  Jacob Tamme  Kentucky   
    5.26 LB  Marcus Howard  Georgia   
    6.30 TE  Tom Santi  Virginia   
    6.35 OL  Steve Justice  Wake Forest  compensatory pick
    6.36 RB  Mike Hart  Michigan  compensatory pick
    6.39 WR  Pierre Garcon  Mount Union  compensatory pick
    7.29 OL  Jamey Richard  Buffalo, N.Y.   
    1.32 WR  Anthony Gonzalez  Ohio State   
    2.10 OL  Tony Ugoh  Arkansas  from SF
    3.31 DB  Daymeion Hughes  California   
    3.34 DL  Quinn Pitcock  Ohio State  compensatory pick
    4.32 DB  Brannon Condren  Troy State   
    4.37 LB  Clint Session  Pittsburgh  compensatory pick
    5.32 WR  Roy Hall  Ohio State   
    5.36 DB  Michael Coe  Alabama State  compensatory pick
    7.32 DL  Keyunta Dawson  Texas Tech   
    1.30 RB  Joseph Addai  Louisiana State   
    2.30 DB  Tim Jennings  Georgia   
    3.30 LB  Freddy Keiaho  San Diego State   
    5.29 OL  Michael Toudouze  Texas Christian   
    6.30 OL  Charlie Johnson  Oklahoma State   
    6.38 DB  Antoine Bethea  Howard  compensatory pick
    1.29 DB  Marlin Jackson  Michigan   
    2.28 DB  Kelvin Hayden  Illinois   
    3.29 DL  Vincent Burns  Kentucky   
    4.28 OL  Dylan Gandy  Texas Tech   
    4.34 DB  Matt Giordano  California  compensatory pick
    5.12 DL  Jonathan Welsh  Wisconsin  from Dallas through Philadelphia
    5.29 OL  Robert Hunt  North Dakota State   
    5.37 LB  Tyjuan Hagler  Cincinnati  compensatory pick
    6.28 K  Dave Rayner  Michigan State   
    7.29 RB  Anthony Davis  Wisconsin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft?

~Not sure how many are starters OR still on the team, BUT I recall reading an article circa a year ago, and The Colts were one of the very best NFL Teams in terms of How Many Draftees remain with the team as starters and/or roster spots (trades and FA were included too)... 

But ya know, It's completely understandable that They (Colts) have done so much better than The Pats in Drafting in recent years considering that The Patriots usually have More Total Picks, The Pats also never seem to buy into that silly overated concept of Trading up for fewer quality players over Their much more frequent, Trading down for Mass Quantities of guys, AND BB likes the sure-thing guarentee of Drafting "Reaches" way earlier than their projected draft spot rather than drafting "Value" picks that have slipped down Draft Boards... 

Can ya sense the sarcasm inherent in How I feel overall about The Patriots last 5 Draft Classes, or should I add some more <This past one remains to be seen /> (and of course, some intelligent poster will no doubt now bring up How Tom Brady was a 6th rd plucked gem found by this genius method)...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Doesn't matter.  All I know is that they are 12-0...and we are 7-5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OKURRIGHT. Show OKURRIGHT's posts

I wrote about this lastnite, apparently, sum old people cant read all CAPS, shut up n go get ur drewl cup ol' man. Pats dont like 2 take chances. my point wasnt bout who they draftd, rather who they dont. We cant move up 1-2 spots n try n get p harvin, i hate 2 b utterly simplistic, but hot much would he change out offense, in the slot, in the b-field, outsde w/ the superfreak(81), mayb its me n my generation, but u cant just sit back, collect picks, n coach em up, all the time. would it kill us 2 grab a r/b - mayb jamaal charles etc. Also we need 2 start holdin their feet 2 the fire in terms of the draft n free agency. I along w/ most of u (cmon admit it) was in awe of A.D's skills, but him playin w/ guys lik ray lew, ed reed, didnt go unnoticed, at least not on my part. Randy Moss is a freak, y, well how many rookie wideouts tear the league lik him, Q-Boldin, plus the fact he caught td's from qb's lik gus frerotte, daunte ill fumble for fum culpepper, jeff george and on n on, point is hes had great n good seasons everywhere, yes even in oakland, 69-1008-8, not terrible at all. to use him as an example. we havnt hit it out of the park recently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Unfortunately I don't know the players well enough to answer the question, but I like the fact you're looking at the evidence. Offhand, I know that at least three of those players are starters (Addai, Pollak, and Powers) . . . but a lot of them (like Ugoh) are busts.  Maybe someone with better knowledge of the Colts roster will answer. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

You are being simplistic.  First you have to find someone to trade up with.  Not everyone wants to do that because teams are locked in on their players.  And if you do find someone, what's price?  The other thing is systems.  A player may or may not be right for what the team is trying to do. 
    So often we lock in on what the Pats do and not what other teams who have the same opportunity can do as well.  My point being that their are others who agree with what the Pats are doing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maybnot. Show maybnot's posts

i dunno if we tried, but i think alex mack would still b on the board, not sure if teams were trippin ova themselves to get that pick inon time, p harvin is just one xample, we havnt hit on alot of picks specialy mid-rounds, name a l-back that weve hit on in the mid-rounds, recently. mayb its me i think our recent drafts havnt xactly been killin it, or maybnot

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

2009- Two current starters and 6 on the team
    08- 2 starters and 7 on the team
    07- 2 starters and 4 on the team
    06- 3 starters and 6 (all of that years picks) on the team
    05- 3 starters (2 on IR and 1 on and off injury list all season) only those 3 are still on the team.

26 of the 53 man roster are from these 5 drafts but it doesn't include Undrafted Free Agents which make up quite a few of the guys on the team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

1.27RB Donald Brown Connecticut  
    2.24DL Fili Moala Southern California from MIA
    3.28DB Jerraud Powers Auburn  
    4.27WR Austin Collie Brigham Young  
    4.36DL Terrance Taylor Michigan compensatory pick
    6.28QB Curtis Painter Purdue  
    7.13P Pat McAfee West Virginia from NO through PHI
    7.27OL Jaimie Thomas Maryland  
    2.28OL Mike Pollak Arizona State  
    3.30LB Philip Wheeler Georgia Tech  
    4.28TE Jacob Tamme Kentucky  
    5.26LB Marcus Howard Georgia  
    6.30TE Tom Santi Virginia  
    6.35OL Steve Justice Wake Forest compensatory pick
    6.36RB Mike Hart Michigan compensatory pick
    6.39WR Pierre Garcon Mount Union compensatory pick
    7.29OL Jamey Richard Buffalo, N.Y.  
    1.32WR Anthony Gonzalez Ohio State  
    2.10OL Tony Ugoh Arkansas from SF
    3.31DB Daymeion Hughes California  
    3.34DL Quinn Pitcock Ohio State compensatory pick
    4.32DB Brannon Condren Troy State  
    4.37LB Clint Session Pittsburgh compensatory pick
    5.32WR Roy Hall Ohio State  
    5.36DB Michael Coe Alabama State compensatory pick
    7.32DL Keyunta Dawson Texas Tech  
    1.30RB Joseph Addai Louisiana State  
    2.30DB Tim Jennings Georgia  
    3.30LB Freddy Keiaho San Diego State  
    5.29OL Michael Toudouze Texas Christian  
    6.30OL Charlie Johnson Oklahoma State  
    6.38DB Antoine Bethea Howard compensatory pick
    1.29DB Marlin Jackson Michigan  
    2.28DB Kelvin Hayden Illinois  
    3.29DL Vincent Burns Kentucky  
    4.28OL Dylan Gandy Texas Tech  
    4.34DB Matt Giordano California compensatory pick
    5.12DL Jonathan Welsh Wisconsin from Dallas through Philadelphia
    5.29OL Robert Hunt North Dakota State  
    5.37LB Tyjuan Hagler Cincinnati compensatory pick
    6.28K Dave Rayner Michigan State  
    7.29RB Anthony Davis Wisconsin
    Ok - Here's your answer, best as I can do it. 

1.  D Brown will be in indy awhile.
    2.  Moala - should have filled a need but hasn't stepped up yet as expected.  Indy is doing as well as can be expected with its interior D linemen which has almost always ben a weakness.
    3.  Powers - starting in place of 1st rd pick Marlin Jackson who has been hurt for the last 2 years.  Doing a phenomenal job.  Jackson is going to be gone. and he was a gamer, but 2 straight yrs of injuries will cause you to be cut. 
    4.  Collie - very pleasant surprise as the league knows at WR.
    4.  Taylor - did not make the roster.  Disappointing.
    6.  Painter- back up QB
    7.  Mcafee - starting punter
    7.  Thomas - did not make roster

2.  Pollak - started 13 games as a rookie last year and 7 this year at Guard, but has lost starting job to a player from the Arena league, Kyle DeVan.
    3.  Wheeler - currently starting due to injury, but has been probably considered a disappointment.  He's got his chance to prove his detractors wrong.
    4.  Tamme - back up TE - hard to unseat Clark, but has been a solid player for team.
    5.  Howard - not on roster.
    6.  Santi - TE - a back up like Tamme.  Good contributer.
    6.  Justice - not on roster
    6.  Hart - got severely injured last year.  I am hoping he can return to form.  Got to play last week.  Hard runner.  will see if he can hang on.
    6.  Garcon - Waiter is serving up catches.  Great pick
    7.  Richard - back up o-line.  Started some games last year.  Not this year.  Healthier line this year.

1.  Gonzalez - depends.  could be great, but the younger receivers are doing great while he is injured. 
    2.  Ugoh - started for 2 years but lost his job this year to udfa, Johnson who is doing a great job.
    3.  Hughes - not on roster
    3.  Pitcock - was a very good back up who decided he did not want to play anymore.  Played one year then quit.  
    4.  Condren - not on roster
    4.  Session - currently starting and achieving.  Great pick
    5.  Hall - not on roster.  thought he could be the big receiver other teams have.  injury prone.
    5.  Coe - not on roster. 
    7.  Dawson - versatile player - playing on d line at tackle and end.  Started 12 games last year, 1 this year but playing a lot.  Great contributor. 

1.  Addai - no need to comment
    2.  Jennings -  a disappointment, but generally is the nickel in the d; and starter for injuries at cb. 
    3.  Keiaho - On and off starter at LB.  Less this year.  Good contributor to team, but should a 3rd rdr do more?
    5.  Toudouze - was cut from team, but brought back this week. 
    6.  Johnson - starting LT.  Great Value pick.  Has played all over the line.  But his spot asks was the Ugoh pick a good one?
    6.  Bethea - probowler- 'nough said

1.  Jackson - was starting until hurt and put on ir in 08.  Tried to get back this year, but not fully recovered and played nickel.  Hurt again this year an put on ir.  Sad injury situation.
    2.  Hayden - potential probowler.  Hurt much of this year but back in the line up last week.
    3.  Burns - not on roster
    4.  Gandy - played for the colts but no longer on roster
    4.  Giordano - cut this year due to roster spots.  Was good special teamer that the colts had to let go.
    5.  Welsh - not on roster
    5.  Hunt - not on roster.
    5.  Hagler - starter,  but currently on IR.
    6.  Rayner - not on roster
    7.  Davis - not on roster.

colts keep their players.  draft more than they can keep.  Mine the UDFA market.  Do not usually sign high cost free agents and do not usually make trades. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft?:
    I wrote about this lastnite, apparently, sum old people cant read all CAPS, shut up n go get ur drewl cup ol' man. Pats dont like 2 take chances. my point wasnt bout who they draftd, rather who they dont. We cant move up 1-2 spots n try n get p harvin, i hate 2 b utterly simplistic, but hot much would he change out offense, in the slot, in the b-field, outsde w/ the superfreak(81), mayb its me n my generation, but u cant just sit back, collect picks, n coach em up, all the time. would it kill us 2 grab a r/b - mayb jamaal charles etc. Also we need 2 start holdin their feet 2 the fire in terms of the draft n free agency. I along w/ most of u (cmon admit it) was in awe of A.D's skills, but him playin w/ guys lik ray lew, ed reed, didnt go unnoticed, at least not on my part. Randy Moss is a freak, y, well how many rookie wideouts tear the league lik him, Q-Boldin, plus the fact he caught td's from qb's lik gus frerotte, daunte ill fumble for fum culpepper, jeff george and on n on, point is hes had great n good seasons everywhere, yes even in oakland, 69-1008-8, not terrible at all. to use him as an example. we havnt hit it out of the park recently.
    Posted by OKURRIGHT

Hey, I was one of those old geezers.  Thanks for the anti-caps post though.  I can read again lol.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Thanks for the info Underdoggg.  It looks like after the first round the chances of finding a great player significantly decrease.  2006 was a outstanding draft for the Colts.  I think they've generally made good picks in the first round and found 1 or 2 decent players in the later rounds.

A lot of the players I think of as the core of the Colts were drafted before 2005, Manning, Freeney, Sanders, Wayne.'' 

When I compare this to the Pats it gives some context.  Fans think that every draft pick could be a pro bowler, but misses are more common than hits after the first round.  Colts have done a better in the draft but I don't think the Pats are as bad as most people think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here's a side by side analysis of Colts vs Pats draft of the last 5 years.
    Heres a comparison of the 1st picks
    Patriots                    Colts
    2nd Chung                D Brown- RB too early to say, looks good.

Mayo                       2nd RD Pollak - started 13 games as a rookie last year and
                                  7 this year at Guard, but has lost starting job to a player
                                  from the Arena league, Kyle DeVan.

Meriweather              Gonzalez - depends.  could be great, but the younger
                                  receivers are doing great while he is injured
    Maroney                   Addai - no need to comment

Mankins                    Jackson - was starting until hurt and put on ir in 08. 
                                  Tried to get back this year, but not fully recovered and
                                   played nickel.  Hurt again this year an put on ir.  Sad
                                   injury situation

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft?:
    Here's a side by side analysis of Colts vs Pats draft of the last 5 years. Heres a comparison of the 1st picks 2009 Patriots                     Colts 2nd Chung                D Brown- RB too early to say, looks good. 2008 Mayo                       2nd RD Pollak - started 13 games as a rookie last year and                               7 this year at Guard, but has lost starting job to a player                               from the Arena league, Kyle DeVan. 2007 Meriweather              Gonzalez - depends.  could be great, but the younger                               receivers are doing great while he is injured 2006 Maroney                   Addai - no need to comment 2005 Mankins                    Jackson - was starting until hurt and put on ir in 08.                                Tried to get back this year, but not fully recovered and                                played nickel.  Hurt again this year an put on ir.  Sad                                injury situation
    Posted by shenanigan

That's a biased assessment.  The Colts have drafted a LOT more contributors and have a LOT more players from their drafts still on their roster contributing, particularly when you account for the guys who are starting now because others got injured.

2009:
    Donald Brown is a decent change-of-pace back who can catch and who is fairly agile.
    Austin Collie is legit
    McAfee is their starting punter

2008:
    I hadn't even heard of Pol1ack
    BUT
    Wheeler is a starting linebacker
    Pierrce Garcon is a STEAL in the 6th round

2007:
    Anthony Gonzalez was a starter this year before injuring his knee and running into complications.  He's also looked good as a slot receiver back when Marvin Harrison was a starter
    Tony Ugoh was a starter before losing his job
    Clint Sessions is a starting linebacker

2006:
    Joseph Addai is legit, although inconsistent
    Charlie Johnson is the starting tackle

2005:
    Marlin Jackson is a good starting corner
    Kelvin Hayden is a good starting corner
    Tyjuan Hagler is a starting linebacker

Yea, they've done a lot better than the Patriots.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I've had this conversation here a number of times before where I puffed my chest claiming that the colts were one of the best drafting teams in the NFL.  I still think that is true, but drafting is not the only player acquisition avenue. 

What I have also said, is that I thought the Pats were best overall at personnel, although I think this year that statement is being questioned a little.  The pats are effective in the draft but Belichick has shown more interest in mining the veteran free agent market than the draft market.  Look at all of the vets he has brought in over the years.  Some have been VERY effective, Moss/Welker, others not so much. 

What is interesting is that now Belichick seems to be loaded with picks but seems to like vets more.  He can't use picks in the FA market, but he can for trades.  And many times you can have more picks than roster spots that would be available, especially if you are good like the pats. 

There are a lot of guys on this board with more football smarts than me, so I may be wrong about this, but I gotta believe that Belichick is searching for some trades and will use some of those picks to acquire. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

In Response to Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft?:
    Apparrently, although the media does not touch on it, the Colts 2009 draft (including undrafted FA's) was one of the best of all time (insert sarcasm here).  Seemingly unknown 2 starting rookie DB's have shut down every opponents veterin recievers without committing a penalty, a rookie wide receiver is having a career year and is virtually unstoppable (drawing Pass Interference penalties late in every game in which Indy is losing in the fourth quarter) and Brown will fit nicely as a number one back to replace Addai after Indy is finnished running him into the ground.  Unless someone stops these rookies or until they commit a penalty or lose a game, how can anyone argue that it is not one of the best drafts of all time on one of the best teams of all time?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft? : That's a biased assessment.  The Colts have drafted a LOT more contributors and have a LOT more players from their drafts still on their roster contributing, particularly when you account for the guys who are starting now because others got injured. 2009: Donald Brown is a decent change-of-pace back who can catch and who is fairly agile. Austin Collie is legit McAfee is their starting punter 2008: I hadn't even heard of Pol1ack BUT Wheeler is a starting linebacker Pierrce Garcon is a STEAL in the 6th round 2007: Anthony Gonzalez was a starter this year before injuring his knee and running into complications.  He's also looked good as a slot receiver back when Marvin Harrison was a starter Tony Ugoh was a starter before losing his job Clint Sessions is a starting linebacker 2006: Joseph Addai is legit, although inconsistent Charlie Johnson is the starting tackle 2005: Marlin Jackson is a good starting corner Kelvin Hayden is a good starting corner Tyjuan Hagler is a starting linebacker Yea, they've done a lot better than the Patriots.
    Posted by NickC1188

I wasn't trying to be Biased, I admit the Colts have drafted better than the Patriots.  I was just comparing the first picks to show that while everyone expects stars, even the team that is considered the best drafting team doesn't always strike gold there every year.  Addai was a star, I think Gonzalez is a little overrated but he could be considered a star.

I would add that the Colts very rarely make free agent moves.  The only player I can think of was Vinietari.  I think it's a team philosophy.  They leave thier late round picks on thier roster and develop them. 

I think they just believe that a guy with a little less talent that knows the system and works hard is better than a free agent who will be expected to play right away.  I don't necessarily think that's better but it has kept them very consistent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

In Response to Since we always have to compare to the Colts, How's thier draft? : Apparrently, although the media does not touch on it, the Colts 2009 draft (including undrafted FA's) was one of the best of all time (insert sarcasm here).  Seemingly unknown 2 starting rookie DB's have shut down every opponents veterin recievers without committing a penalty, a rookie wide receiver is having a career year and is virtually unstoppable (drawing Pass Interference penalties late in every game in which Indy is losing in the fourth quarter) and Brown will fit nicely as a number one back to replace Addai after Indy is finnished running him into the ground.  Unless someone stops these rookies or until they commit a penalty or lose a game, how can anyone argue that it is not one of the best drafts of all time on one of the best teams of all time?
    Posted by fuzzy1

There a lot of ways to find positives in this year's colts draft class, but I think this one takes the cake for originality.  That is thinking outside the box.   Nice work.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Polian has done some analysis on the draft, and if I am correct, I think he has said a GOOD team hits about 60% of the time in the draft.  Great drafts are in the 65% range and typical drafts are like in the 50% range.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

who cares?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

They have Sun King Brewing Co...never heard nor tried any of it. We have Sam Adams Brewing Co. ....known worldwide for it's award winning beers. 

OUr draft is much, much better than theirs hands down and bottoms up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Polian has done some analysis on the draft, and if I am correct, I think he has said a GOOD team hits about 60% of the time in the draft.  Great drafts are in the 65% range and typical drafts are like in the 50% range.
    Posted by underdoggg

60% ?

He hits at about 30%, based on this breakdown of his past 4 drafts, and even that's better than most teams.

I'd say 2/7 or 3/7 would be a fair expectation of a good team.  You get 2-3 real contributors in each draft and over the course of 5-8 years you should have built half of your team from draft picks before they leave as free agents (obviously you'll retain some of those guys).  At that clip, you'll bring in 10-15 guys in a five year stretch.  Then the difference between what's on the roster to begin with and the 10-15 guys you expect to draft has to be filled by free agent pickups.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Nick -

This year 75% of the draftees are on the roster. 
    Last year 100% of the draftees were on the roster and 100% the year before. 

Again, I don't know what his criteria is for his statistic, but you can be sure where polian and drafting are concerned, he has done the analysis.  That's his thing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

You are being simplistic.  First you have to find someone to trade up with.  Not everyone wants to do that because teams are locked in on their players.  And if you do find someone, what's price?  The other thing is systems.  A player may or may not be right for what the team is trying to do.  So often we lock in on what the Pats do and not what other teams who have the same opportunity can do as well.  My point being that their are others who agree with what the Pats are doing. 
    Posted by garytx

This is nonsense. A few years ago, the Jests figured out how to pull off two major trade-ups in the same draft for Revis and Harris, both now young superstars. The players the Pats COULD have had last year had BB not kept trading down make me sick.... could have had immediate impact. Just look at who the Ravens and Packers picked up with our picks...it could have been us. The Oher trade netted us one more guy...a long snapper in round six. This is ridiculous.

Sections
Shortcuts