Six Observations to Take From Saints @ Packers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Six Observations to Take From Saints @ Packers

Wow!! What a way to start off the season! 

I came away from watching this game with 6 main thoughts:

1.) The Green Bay Packers are currently the NFL's best team;

2.) Forget about Mark Ingram. The guy that really makes the Saints' offense go is Darren Sproles. I was glad when the Chargers failed to resign him. Without him, the Bolts aren't going to go to the SB, as so many media types have predicted. But, I also hated it when I heard that he had signed with New Orleans. Having Sproles, provided he stays healthy, ensures that the home in a dome Saints will be a playoff team. He's that good...and that's bad, because the Patriots own the Saints' offense #1 pick in 2012. 

Spoles' stats for tonight: 2 rushes for 7 yards; 7 receptions for 75 yards; 2 kickoff returns for 76 yards...including a 57 yarder; 2 punt returns for 92 yards, including a 76 yard return for a TD. In other words, he was responsible for 250 all purpose yards, and a TD. That, my friends, is Kevin Faulk, on severe steroids.

3.) Obviously, neither defense distinquished themselves. If a team can keep Clay Matthews off their QB, and not fall hopelessly behind, due to the Rodgers' led blitzkrieg, it will be able to hang with The Pack.

4.) Don't sell Drew Brees short. Despite all the talk about Brady, Rodgers, and Rivers...Brees belongs among them as one of the games' premier QBs. 

His stats for tonight: 32 completions in 49 attempts for 419 yards, 3 TDs, and no interceptions. Rodgers was outstanding too...finishing with 27 completions in 35 attempts, 3 TDs, and no interceptions.

5.) This was an extremely well played game, considering the crammed preseason, and that it was the first game of the season. That's a tribute to both of these great teams, and their outstanding head coaches. The Patriots aren't the only team in the league with a great head coach.

6.) WR/KR Randall Cobb is going to develop into a game-breaker. I really wanted to see the Pats draft him in the second round, last April. I know...hind-sight is always 20/20. But...how much better a team would the Pats' be had they signed the 28 year old Sproles as a free agent, and drafted Cobb, instead of Shane Vereen, at #56 overall?   

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310908009

Thoughts?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Six Observations to Take From Saints @ Packers

One other extremely obvious observation...the Packers are a very dangerous team: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/09/donald-driver-this-team-is-dangerous/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'm sure the Packers would be a cakewalk for the Patriots given their tremendous record of rushing the passer, defending the pass, and moving the ball on teams with elite nose tackles and cornerbacks [sarcasm].

I mean, we beat them by an astounding 4 points last year against their backup quarterback and rung up 159 yards of total offense.  How can they stop OUR offensive juggernaut now that so many of their guys came back off of injured reserve???

in all seriousness, the Packers actually do look even better than last season and law of averages says they don't suffer as many injuries as last year.  and I was so sarcastic in this post because I've been chided repeatedly like it was absolute fact that the Patriots would have beaten the Packers last year in the playoffs, except that this notion is absolutely not based in fact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats1977. Show pats1977's posts

All credit to the Packers defense, but the Saints did not play good defense. I hate when it's 3rd and long and the defense decides to rush only 3 players and allow the QB enough time to find an open receiver. I don't get that concept knowing very well that your corners will not be able to cover the receivers forever. In addition, that's when usually turnovers are created when you put opposing team offense in a passing situation and force the QB into throwing a bad pass by putting pressure on him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Six Observations to Take From Saints @ Packers:
    I'm sure the Packers would be a cakewalk for the Patriots given their tremendous record of rushing the passer, defending the pass, and moving the ball on teams with elite nose tackles and cornerbacks [sarcasm]. I mean, we beat them by an astounding 4 points last year against their backup quarterback and rung up 159 yards of total offense.  How can they stop OUR offensive juggernaut now that so many of their guys came back off of injured reserve??? in all seriousness, the Packers actually do look even better than last season and law of averages says they don't suffer as many injuries as last year.  and I was so sarcastic in this post because I've been chided repeatedly like it was absolute fact that the Patriots would have beaten the Packers last year in the playoffs, except that this notion is absolutely not based in fact.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

It looks  like the Packers are all-world now. But, injuries and the odd bad break can dramatically change things.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ASO9771. Show ASO9771's posts

But, injuries and the odd bad break can dramatically change things.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Game would have been a lot different if N.O. didn't fumble on their opening drive....
    in reference to "Bad Breaks"

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

One Observation to Take From Saints @ Packers:

If, in fact, these teams represent the best the NFC has to offer, and this is the level of defense we can expect from them, I am chuckling quietly to myself if I'm a dominant AFC team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

One Observation to Take From Saints @ Packers: If, in fact, these teams represent the best the NFC has to offer, and this is the level of defense we can expect from them, I am chuckling quietly to myself if I'm a dominant AFC team.
    Posted by p-mike

I like your thinking because I agree 100% on this.  These were my thoughts after the game. 

While both have very good, high powered offenses, its obvious their defenses can give up a lot of points.  I like it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Pats can learn something from how Packers draft receivers.  In the last 5-6 years they've hit on Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Greg Jones and it appears Cobb.  We've whiffed since 2002 (Branch/Givens) pending Price.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

I agree on the point about WR's....I was impressed that NO came back after that hideous 1st quarter...I thought "Heck, it's 14 - 0, the game is in Green bay, NO is going to fold and skulk away"...but, no, NO hanged tough and fought back....if that game is in NO, NO wins!

Both teams will be around in the playoffs....maybe we just watched this years NFC championship game teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Defenses dont gel until mid season mostly.

Yo guys act like the Packers are gonna play N.O. every week.  This just IN!  Drew Brees and the Saints can score w/anyone!  Us as fans should know this.  They blasted us out the water in one half and we were never in it so dont discount what N.O. can do.

G.B. still has an above average line lead by Raji.  Hawk who is Solid, Clay who is a monster off the edge, Woody who is the best all around CB in football. Nick Collins, the best Safety that nobody knows...very underated.  Basically James Sanders with Speed,. and athleticism

This team will shut down lesser offenses, but week 1 against N.O, and you expected a slug fest??

Please stop the wishful thinking and talking about what we would have done in the SB, as we werent even close last year(one and done) and like someone said, we won by 4 points against their backup qb (Flynn) and had scores aided by a 72 yard runback by a lineman and fumble return by Arrington.  We need to work on our own problems..having the worst 3rd down defense last year.  Green Bay looks good, and there defense is legit, but its too early to expect shutouts...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pats can learn something from how Packers draft receivers.  In the last 5-6 years they've hit on Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Greg Jones and it appears Cobb.  We've whiffed since 2002 (Branch/Givens) pending Price.
    Posted by BSII

I will never get over us trading up to get Chad jackson when Greg Jennings was sitting right there and was a better fit for us based on his college system.

Just imagine Brady w/Jennings...Whoa!  This guys does it all ....I know its hindsight, but that one really stings...cuz I feel we took way too many florida players based on Bill's buddy down there with mixed results....its like were you too lazy to scout other schools and trust this guy not to be bias about his players.  At one point we had 3 florida WR's on our team.  Cunningham doesnt look like the answer and if not for Hernandez, I would say we've been duped by Florida..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

N.O. did what so many teams do when on the one yard line and the game on the line,they tried to run the ball from a run only formation! Dang stupid I've seen the Patriots attempt this very thing and I'll tell you, that formation fails more often than you think! If you are a passing team you take the element of a pass happening out of the equation andf the Defense merely has to clog the middle of the line. Stupid call! they should have spread the field and forced GB too defend the pass as well as the run.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

If New Orleans hadn't fumbled its opening possesion away giving Green Bay a short field and a quick 14-0 lead, it might have been a totally different game. If they had held posession and even punted, maybe the Packers dont go up by 14. New Orleans conceivably would have only needed a field goal at the end to win the game, not a TD and 2 point conversion to tie it, so I think they showed they can play with the Packers. Shows the importance of not turning the ball over...

Neither team did well on special teams, each gave up long returns for scores (or both teams did great on special teams, depending on if you look at it from the defensive or offensive side).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Both teams will be around in the playoffs....maybe we just watched this years NFC championship game teams.
    Posted by hambonawilliams

The local Packers honk on KFAN -- think about this for a minute:

KFAN, the Vikings flagship station, has a show on Sunday mornings called Packer Preview . . .  could you imagine WEEI running Jets Cavalcade in Boston?

Anyway, the guy who honks the Packers around here said exactly what you just said before the game was played, but I'm going to repeat something I said in another thread. If that's the way they're going to play defense, I think the NFC is a lot more wide open than a lot of people seem to believe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Six Observations to Take From Saints @ Packers:
         .... 6.) WR/KR Randall Cobb is going to develop into a game-breaker. I really wanted to see the Pats draft him in the second round, last April. I know...hind-sight is always 20/20. But...how much better a team would the Pats' be had they signed the 28 year old Sproles as a free agent, and drafted Cobb, instead of Shane Vereen, at #56 overall?         ...
    Posted by TexasPat3

Your points have some merit, but as far as this one, don't you think we should withhold this sort of judgment a while, at least until say, Vereen has taken a snap?  Vereen may well turn out to be a better player than Cobb.  And I like Sproles, but between Woody and Edelman, I think the Pats are just fine at scatback RB and PR. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from weloveme2. Show weloveme2's posts

i observed that rodgers oline is questionable a good dline team with interior pressure will stop that offence cold and NO needed to jam the recivers at the line not play a literal 9.5 yards off

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The one thing that stuck in my mind was that in short yardage situations the Packers could pound for 1st downs and TDs while the Saints could not. The question I have is whether the Pats have the big back to gain those hard-to-come-by yards when they're in that situation?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

One observation I had from the game is that there are going to be a sh!tload of touchbacks on kickoffs in the NFL this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The one thing that stuck in my mind was that in short yardage situations the Packers could pound for 1st downs and TDs while the Saints could not. The question I have is whether the Pats have the big back to gain those hard-to-come-by yards when they're in that situation?
    Posted by trouts

Lets just hope we dont have many 4th and 2's....I still have nightmares about that. Dont get cute!  You either have the horse to get the 1st down, or a playaction to the fullback in the flat always works...Used to be a staple of our offense...with guys like P.Pass and M.Edwards....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

One observation I had from the game is that there are going to be a sh!tload of touchbacks on kickoffs in the NFL this year.
    Posted by NY-PATS-FAN4

That and a lot of retuners losing jobs.  Guys will get frustrated with it and run it out from 8 yards deep but wont always get lucky like last night....

I thought it was tellin when the commentator said the 3 touchbacks in this game equalled the total amount for last year in Green bay!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Good observations/comments by everyone.  From my perspective, if other games follow this pattern, the offenses will exxcel over the defenses until the D's gel.  Let's face it, neither D was particularly effective the whole game.  Now, I'm not going to "talk-up" the Pats D until I see them play a few games, but I didn't see anything out of either of these teams that I'd worry about if I had to play them on a neutral field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Six Observations to Take From Saints @ Packers:
         Wow!! What a way to start off the season!       I came away from watching this game with 6 main thoughts: 1.) The Green Bay Packers are currently the NFL's best team;
    Posted by TexasPat3

Did you watch the same game I did? To be labeled the best after one game is very premature.

GB's defense looked like crap. Come on if GB would have beat NO 42-21 i would agree, but the Saints were knoking on the door to tie with no time on the clock.

If not for a fumble by Coulston and not converting on a  4th and 1, the saints could've won that game. 

Seriously? GB's offense looked great against NO's crappy defense.

No. GB are defending champs, but not the best team. 

Sections
Shortcuts