Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

If a team wants to seriously contend every year for a championship, it's imperative that the team avoid personnel mistakes...which can damage or destroy SB dreams.

From what we've seen of the 2011 Patriots, questions linger about the ability of their defense to pressure the opposing passer, pass coverage, and at WR. Here are six (6) mistakes which have haunted the Patriots over the past several years:  

1.) Decision Not to Sign Asante Samuel: To replace Samuel, the Patriots eventually spent free agent dollars on CBs Deltha O'Neal,and Leigh Bodden. They also spent two second round draft choices on Terrence Wheatley and Darius Butler. The failure of these players led to the Patriots using their #1 draft choice in 2010 on CB Devin McCourty.
         In McCourty, BB appears to have finally found Samuel's replacement. But, the cost to replace Samuel was free agent dollars...which could have been allocated to sign Samuel, two second round draft choices, and one first rounder

2.) Clay Matthews:
    The inability to rush the opposing passer has been a problem ever since Willie McGinest and Mike Vrabel aged. The Pats have done little in the draft to solve this problem...spending a 3rd round draft choice in 2008 on the worthless Shaun Crable, and a second rounder on DE/OLB Jermaine Cunningham. 
         In the 2009 draft, BB passed on the opportunity to select OLB Clay Mathews with his 26th overall pick, opting instead to trade down with the Green Bay Packers, for the rather steep price of the 41st pick overall, and two third rounders. These picks netted them CB Darius Butler, WR Brandon Tate, and, eventually, promising TE, Rob Gronkowski. With each passing day, Butler and Tate look like busts. Gronk has the potential to become a pro-bowl caliber TE. 
         As a result of this draft trade, the Pats have spent millions in free agency to bring in several veterans, who they hope can generate a pass rush. Meanwhile, the Packers won the SB last year, as Matthews earned pro-bowl honors. But, to be fair, it must be pointed out that Matthews has benefited from playing with one of the better secondaries in the game, the past two years;

3.) Passing on WR Mike Wallace: One of the things that led to that embarrassing playoff loss to the Jets was that the Patriots lacked a deep threat at WR. The Pats could have solved this problem in the third round of the 2009 draft, if only they had selected Mike Wallace over WR Brandon Tate. Tate was chosen with the 83rd overall selection...and Pittsburgh took Wallace at #84. Though the jury is still out on Tate, it's becoming increasingly clear that he's the second coming of Bethel Johnson...while Wallace has evolved into one of the most feared deep threats in the game.

4.) Chad Jackson: Prior to the Tate mistake discussed above, there was the trade up in the 2006 draft, to acquire WR Chad Jackson. The Pats parted with the 52nd and 75th picks that season to move up to #36, and land this monumental bust. 
         Curiously enough, the Jackson deal was also made with the Packers, who used the 52nd overall selection to take WR Greg Jennings...who has averaged 80 receptions for around 1200 yards (16 yards per catch), over the past three seasons. This, along with the failure to draft Wallace, has left the Patriots with a weakness at WR, heading into this season.

5.) Laurence Maroney: Though Maroney had his moments with the Pats, he never evolved into the stud RB that the Pats hoped they acquired with the 21st overall pick in the 2006 draft. His short-comings led to the acquisition of failed free agent Fred Taylor, and the Pats spending second and third round choices on RBs last April. 

6.) Brandon Meriweather: Former first round pick from the 2007 draft was released by the Pats after four inconsistent years of play with the team. Like Maroney above, he wasn't a total disaster...but he never developed into the Ed Reed type of FS that the Patriots hoped he would become. The fact that the Patriots could not find a taker for him in a trade, yet still chose to release him...speaks volumes.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

The only real mistake I see in your list is the last one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

Not so sure you can say passing on any player is "haunting" brady was a 6th round ..  it's just the nature of the draft.  The bad personell decisions were

Adalius Tomas
    That cornerback we got from the Raven maybe, he was great came here sucked
    The white LB from KC we got, he sucked too.

Still for everyone there's 3 Moss, welker, roman phifer, rodney harrison, corey dillion, tedy brushi, troy brown UDFA etc...  

We won 3 SB last decade, had an undefeated season, that was pretty awesome. 

Lets be real if you a NE sports fan you shouldn't be complaing about a dam thing except how the woman in NE have attidutes and beer bellys.   Not that it stops me...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Samuel:  It has been a long road trying to replace him.  They may have been better off trying to re-sign him. 

Clay Matthews:  There are enough analysts out there that say Matthews doesn't fit the Pats' scheme and that it's hard to justify a first round selection for a guy that would make his living on 3rd downs.  You'd have to also criticize the other 25 or so teams that passed on him too, some of whom run the 3-4 as well.  And there are rumors that the Pats didn't like what they were hearing about PEDs with Matthews.  True or not, it's been speculated.

Wallace:  He looks pretty good, fast receiver.  But the draftniks at the time said that Tate was a steal in the 3rd round and he was a game-changing kick returner.  Again, lots of other teams passed on Wallace too.   

Chad Jackson:  Agreed here, they clearly targeted the guy and missed badly. 

Maroney: He wasn't a bust, and to be fair I think the Pats would have been happy if he could have been part of a two back tandem and gotten them 1,000 yards or close to it.  He ran for 700+ yards 3 times and at or over 4 ypc, not bad but not great.  Maroney has run for more career yards than Reggie Bush, even though they aren't the same type of player.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I don't think there's a single team out there that doesn't have this list. Our list is shorter than others, I can tell you that. We're all spoiled by Belichick's overall success with this team but obviously by no means is the guy perfect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

I don't agree with 3 because even thou they didn't draft well with WR's they have brought in Welker and Moss.  Also, jury is still out on Price.  Would like to see him healthy for a full season to see what he can do.  Hell, they won a Super bowl with less talented receivers then they have had the last few years.

As it relates to the Jets game I don't care if they had Rice and Fitzgerald at WR, if you don't have time to pass it doesn't matter who is out there.  Problem in the Jets game was the OL not the WR's.

What I would add as an issue and it may not be popular her but its my opinion.  (if you want to expand "personal" to include coaching staff)

#1)  Never replacing Wiess and Crennel with solid well established assistants.  Look BB is a great coach, one of the best ever, but I just think he spread himself way to thin (especially right after they left).  I think he was trying to do to much and it hurt in some game-planing, in game adjustments, etc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mirage123. Show Mirage123's posts

Two worst ones are Maroney and Chad Jackson. they cost us two Super Bowls. Any running back in that draft (Joseph Addai, Maurice Jones Drew, DeAngelo Williams or Leon Washington) would have worked. Aslo any receiver (Brandon Marshall or Jennings or Santonio Holmes( he was gone in the first round would have helped. That year's draft was the most I regret.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
    I don't think there's a single team out there that doesn't have this list. Our list is shorter than others, I can tell you that. We're all spoiled by Belichick's overall success with this team but obviously by no means is the guy perfect.
    Posted by apdynasty23

Absolutely right. I did not create this thread to bash BB and the Patriots. Just some Patriots' football talk here.

Though all teams make mistakes, the teams with the fewest mistakes are the ones usually contending for the SB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Posted by apdynasty23

this is correct.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :      Absolutely right. I did not create this thread to bash BB and the Patriots. Just some Patriots' football talk here.      Though all teams make mistakes, the teams with the fewest mistakes are the ones usually contending for the SB.
    Posted by TexasPat3

No, I get it. I was just saying. I guess this is just a bad week to start this thread because it's after the Lions bashing and some people around here are already crying about personnel moves, Belichick losing it, etc. The only thing I haven't heard this offseason is Kraft being cheap haha.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

cunningham over dunlap was a major miscue. i called for a change to the 43 before the past two drafts. dunlap is a 21 year old monster coming off a rookie season with more sacks than Suh. the pats doibled down on the 34 in the 2010 draft by selecting spikes, who had and has little 43 flexibility. plenty of rangy 43 linebackers available in this past draft, and de romeus or lb herzlich could have been had in the seventh round, along with quality running backs. instead we took two rbs early instead of just one, in a rb class with an abundance of depth. Oh, and that seventh rounder was wasted on a backup safety who has since been cut to nobody's surprise.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Posted by apdynasty23

Well said......On a side note how is Leigh Bodden a failure? Where do you come up with this stuff Pat?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Calling Brandon Tate a bust after only 1 season is a stretch to say the least. Some people just cant wait to call a guy a bust.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

MVPkilla4life is a bust.  Never a good post.  I don't think he is gonna make it.  Gonna have to cut him loose...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Samuel was on the 2007 team that lost the superbowl.  If he had caught the easy interception, the superbowl was won.  Take a look at this organization as a whole.  Some great players have come through the doors.  Wilfork, Mayo, Harrison, etc.  have all been great.  If an organization only makes 5 mistakes in ten years, they are doing well.  Every organization has made decisions that have cost them in the long run.  The draft is a crapshoot.  Good scouting can help but no one can predict how a player is going to pan out. Why does a 4th rounder like Samuel become an all start and many that were drafted ahead of him are out of football.  The Patriots are a great organization and have done well in the last ten years.  We are lucky to have a great organization that can gives us the hope of a Superbowl every season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

The only relevant, recent pick that I'm even close to calling a bust is Butler. Still, I said it before and I'll say it again: I'll give him six weeks of game action this year before I make that call (for all that's worth, right?). I still think he'll make the team because you can never have enough DBs in today's NFL and he's familiar with the system coming off a shortened offseason.

I'm disappointed that Cunningham didn't come into camp with some better rush moves but we don't know the whole story so I'll wait to pass judgment until we see at least six games this year.

I like threads like this because it lets us fans go through the addictive 'what if' scenarios but I'll take Hoody's draft record over anyone's right now. The draft is nothing more than a crapshoot, which is why we stockpile picks every year, lock up the sure pieces to long-term deals, and invest in our own scout system (which is the only independent system in the NFL I believe). It still doesn't matter how great your system is because you're not buying stocks or commodities, you're investing in PEOPLE and we all know how hard it is to predict people. We just don't know how a warm-weather kid is going to play in Boston, how a humble kid is going to handle $10 million guaranteed, how an athletic kid is going to handle just as much athleticism from the opposition, or how any kid is going to respond to tough, disciplined coaching. Not to mention, injuries, luck (see Brady - /> 6th round), and a myriad of other factors. Nobody knows. Belichick just has a better pulse than most.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Samuel was on the 2007 team that lost the superbowl.  If he had caught the easy interception, the superbowl was won.  Take a look at this organization as a whole.  Some great players have come through the doors.  Wilfork, Mayo, Harrison, etc.  have all been great.  If an organization only makes 5 mistakes in ten years, they are doing well.  Every organization has made decisions that have cost them in the long run.  The draft is a crapshoot.  Good scouting can help but no one can predict how a player is going to pan out. Why does a 4th rounder like Samuel become an all start and many that were drafted ahead of him are out of football.  The Patriots are a great organization and have done well in the last ten years.  We are lucky to have a great organization that can gives us the hope of a Superbowl every season.
    Posted by msteven

Another great response.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Well said......On a side note how is Leigh Bodden a failure? Where do you come up with this stuff Pat?
    Posted by TrueChamp

Anyone that calls Bodden a bust is a complete moron. He's solid, borderline spectacular. He's someone that at least 40-50% of the teams would kill for right now. He's not flashy and he doesn't make highlight plays. He just covers tight, makes plays on the ball, and does what's asked of him. Don't know about you guys but I'll take that.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Hahah not even sure but TrueChamp caught someone and I just wanted to vent because Bodden is anything but a bust.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts