Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

In Response to Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Again... he has been battling injuries, mainly hamstring I believe all season, slowing down a player who by all standards isn't all that fast for a corner.  In case some of you forget this is a contact sport, just because Bo Jackson blows out his hip doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best ever to play the game.  

Your selective memory about Bodden is typical, so go ahead and dismiss his entire career leading up to this season to prove your point, including 09' when he played great beyond just the 5 INT's, it makes really makes your argument.

I'll forget all the times you suggested we draft an outside linebacker from the college ranks who is now delivering packages for UPS or serving up eggs and hash at Mel's Diner.  The same way you've convienently forgotten...

The only reason it doesn't "haunt" you is because you don't have to actually watch the team that you draft or pick in free agency.  Of course if you did undoubtedly they would be undefeated every season or at least you'd have a better record than Bill Belichick.

I wonder where you're level of appreciation for our coach would be right now if we were the Bengal's or any of the other 30+ teams who haven't been the winningest over the past decade?

Please spare me the cut and paste dissection of everything I say, I won't argue you over my missing comma in paragraph two but you should really consider coming back to Earth. The weather's great here, go outside get some fresh air...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

The only real mistake on that list was Chad Jackson, what a bust he turned out to be.

We have a list of " damn, we missed out" or "bad pickup/draft pick" but its not as bad as what some other teams have had in recent years.

You want to see a massive list of failed drafts/bad acquisitions, just look at what McDaniels did in Denver or the drafts by Detroit in the early 2000's, or the FA signings by Snyder in DC.

Now how about the massive list of personnel moves that helped this team? Moss, Welker, Gafney, BJGE, Woodhead, Mayo, McCourty, Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes...I'm sure there is more I just can't recall at the moment. And this is only going back a few years, go back further and we have a ton of great pick ups, numerous personnel moves/draft picks that helped us win Super Bowls.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Again... he has been battling injuries, mainly hamstring I believe all season, slowing down a player who by all standards isn't all that fast for a corner.

RESPONSE: Woz, perhaps you're confusing Bodden with Ras-I Dowling...whose been battling that type of injury. Bodden hurt his thumb...but not to the extent where he couldn't play. He was demoted to nickel back by BB, as he was beaten out by Dowling and Arrington, and took it badly.

In case some of you forget this is a contact sport, just because Bo Jackson blows out his hip doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best ever to play the game.

RESPONSE: It's irrelevant how good Bodden was, or wasn't, in 2009. What counts is how good he is now.  Bodden missed all of 2010 with a shoulder injury. He was 100% this year, when he came to camp. But, he wasn't cutting it...and was beat out by both Ras-I Dowling, and Kyle Arrington. BB, not I, made the decision to release him.  

Your selective memory about Bodden is typical, so go ahead and dismiss his entire career leading up to this season to prove your point, including 09' when he played great beyond just the 5 INT's, it makes really makes your argument.

RESPONSE: His entire career wasn't that great. Go check his stats. But, again, what difference does it make what he's done, or hasn't done, in the past. Right now, for whatever reasons, he's not getting it done.

I'll forget all the times you suggested we draft an outside linebacker from the college ranks who is now delivering packages for UPS or serving up eggs and hash at Mel's Diner.  The same way you've convienently forgotten...

RESPONSE: No...don't forget. Please enlighten us further. Which OLB have I suggested that the Patriots select?

The only reason it doesn't "haunt" you is because you don't have to actually watch the team that you draft or pick in free agency.  Of course if you did undoubtedly they would be undefeated every season or at least you'd have a better record than Bill Belichick.

RESPONSE: Sigh!! There's no greater backer of BB, than me.

I wonder where you're level of appreciation for our coach would be right now if we were the Bengal's or any of the other 30+ teams who haven't been the winningest over the past decade?

RESPONSE: I'd be extremely critical, if BB was winning 5 games per season...and he'd be fired by now. 

Please spare me the cut and paste dissection of everything I say, I won't argue you over my missing comma in paragraph two but you should really consider coming back to Earth. The weather's great here, go outside get some fresh air...

RESPONSE: I wish I could be up in New England right now. Though it may be past the height of the "foliage season", it's probably still gorgeous up there. I miss the crispness in the air at this time of year...and the occasional Indian Summers. Waldon Pond in Concord must be beautiful. The Berkshires outstanding. I miss going to the apple orchards, and the small country stores for some hot apple cider, and some home made apple pie. 
         It's been an awful Summer in Texas. We've had a big-time drought. But, this week, a "cold" front moved in...dropping the temperatures to 70 during the day, and the high 40s at night. Beautiful weather. 

Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Saying we haven't won a Super Bowl because we haven't had enough talent is wrong... period.

We won with less in 2001.  This is a coaches league, what is differen't in San Francisco and Detroit this year or Green Bay since Mike Holmgren left? Coaching.

Our coordinators have been poached by every other team to become head coaches, setting new records each year for youngest head coach in the league. We haven't found one offensive coordinator who compliments BB's defensive style, and not one who stuck around long enough to learn, in short we miss Charlie Weis.  We've lost our balance...  I miss The Berkshires in October as well Tex, that's one thing we can agree on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

We don't yet know if Ras-I will be yet another massive screw up by Team Master Hoodie, but given how he was placed on IR and had an extensive and quite well known injury history going back to HS, you have to wonder if at some point the Pats stop making these "reach" picks and start trading up every now and then to get some legitimate DB talent, as well as a few other positions....it's time, I think, to do this!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Woulda shoulda coulda, jeez every team makes mistakes in personnel moves, the pats are no different. They've also had alot of finds. In BB we trust!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Saying we haven't won a Super Bowl because we haven't had enough talent is wrong... period. We won with less in 2001.  This is a coaches league, what is differen't in San Francisco and Detroit this year or Green Bay since Mike Holmgren left? Coaching. Our coordinators have been poached by every other team to become head coaches, setting new records each year for youngest head coach in the league. We haven't found one offensive coordinator who compliments BB's defensive style, and not one who stuck around long enough to learn, in short we miss Charlie Weis.  We've lost our balance...  I miss The Berkshires in October as well Tex, that's one thing we can agree on.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I diasagree that the sole problem has been lousy coordinators. But, let's say for the sake of argument, that you are correct. Whose fault is that? Mine? Yours? Bob Krafts? Of course not. The buck stops with BB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Unfortunately, I may have to add a 7th personnel error to my original list...Ras-I Dowling. Lest we forget, the injury prone CB was the 33rd overall pick in last years' draft. Teams', including the Patriots, can't afford to "miss" on such high picks.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]     Unfortunately, I may have to add a 7th personnel error to my original list...Ras-I Dowling. Lest we forget, the injury prone CB was the 33rd overall pick in last years' draft. Teams', including the Patriots, can't afford to "miss" on such high picks.   

Agreed...you telling me there was no one else on the board rated as high as this piece of fine China?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Agreed...you telling me there was no one else on the board rated as high as this piece of fine China?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

BB took a huge gamble on Dowling. He's that big CB that every team wants...and has first round talent. But, he was injury prone at Virginia...and, unfortunately, nothing's changed for him in New England: http://www.enterprisenews.com/features/x1934472661/Patriots-roll-dice-on-NFL-Draft-s-second-day 

Here's more on the injury prone Dowling:

Any updates on Ras-I Dowling's injury? The knock on him going into the draft was that he was injury-prone. Are we going to regret passing on Jabaal Sheard and Brooks Reed (see Clay Matthews)?
    --Jeff D., North Attleboro, Mass.

Dowling missed Thursday's practice -- his third absence in five sessions since the Dallas game -- and he hasn't played since Week 2 (Dowling was inactive three times, and he didn't get on the field against the Jets).

Dowling's inability to get through this injury has got to be one of the most frustrating storylines of the Patriots' season to date. He started against the Dolphins in Week 1, so they had big plans for him, but they've obviously been derailed.

Also, I want to clear up one thing that I've heard lately (not from you, but others). There's some preconceived notion that Dowling was injury-prone throughout his collegiate career at Virginia, and that's not the case. He certainly succumbed to a rash of injuries during his senior season, but that was just one bad year for him. Dowling has said it, and his former head coach, Mike London, told me the same thing after the draft. He played 35 games in his first three seasons at Virginia before only playing in five as a senior.

Obviously, that has carried over into his rookie year, and it's tough to shake an injury-prone tag when you've got two bad years in a row. But I think it's unfair for people to throw it out there that he was always hurt in college. Anyway, back on track. If Dowling never contributes, of course the Patriots will regret drafting him with the first pick of the second round. It's just way too early to know whether or not Dowling will ever contribute. However, Jabaal Sheard has gotten off to a terrific start with Cleveland, and Brooks Reed took over as the starter in Houston after Mario Williams went down. I strongly cautioned against the Clay Matthews comparison before the draft, though. I think people were too hung up on the hair and position. Matthews is one of the three best outside linebackers in football, and the only reason why Reed was even considered as a potential late first-round prospect was because the class of outside linebackers was considered poor this year.http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/patriots-mailbag-pats-may-not-need-to-blitz-to-pressure-ben-roethlisberger.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Tex you say Dowling was injury prone at Virginia then you post an article arguing that he wasn't. In the last two paragraphs,

"There's some preconceived notion that Dowling was injury-prone throughout his collegiate career at Virginia, and that's not the case. He certainly succumbed to a rash of injuries during his senior season, but that was just one bad year for him. Dowling has said it, and his former head coach, Mike London, told me the same thing after the draft. He played 35 games in his first three seasons at Virginia before only playing in five as a senior. Obviously, that has carried over into his rookie year, and it's tough to shake an injury-prone tag when you've got two bad years in a row. But I think it's unfair for people to throw it out there that he was always hurt in college."

Obviously he needs to have a good second season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :      I diasagree that the sole problem has been lousy coordinators. But, let's say for the sake of argument, that you are correct. Whose fault is that? Mine? Yours? Bob Krafts? Of course not. The buck stops with BB.   

My quote:  "Our coordinators have been poached by every other team to become head coaches, setting new records each year for youngest head coach in the league. We haven't found one offensive coordinator who compliments BB's defensive style, and not one who stuck around long enough to learn"

I didn't say lousy as much as inexperienced, they haven't learned lessons the hard way like an older wiser coordinator has.  2007 was a lesson for Josh McDaniels, don't fall back on your strengths as the season wears on, you can't pass in the playoffs the same way you do the regular season, and next year he was a head coach....

Saying we didn't win due to a lack of talent is ridiculous, we're constantly one of the most talented teams every year. Again, what is different this year with the 49ers, same Alex Smith at QB, same team, different coach, different coordinator...  This isn't basketball where they have a 13 man gameday roster, football starts at the top and works its way down.  I don't say BB is perfect, nobody is, but haunted?  Not likely...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex you say Dowling was injury prone at Virginia then you post an article arguing that he wasn't.

RESPONSE: I posted an article on Dowling that I felt would be informative. I'm aware of the author's opinion that, because he played 35 games in college before the rash of injuries began, is proof that the injury prone tag is unfair. I disagree with him: 

"Obviously, that (the injury prone tag) has carried over into his rookie year, and it's tough to shake an injury-prone tag when you've got two bad years in a row. But I think it's unfair for people to throw it out there that he was always hurt in college." 

RESPONSE: No one is claiming that Dowling "was always hurt in college", but he was always hurt in his final collegiate year. What I'm pointing to is the fact that Dowling has been unable to shake the injury bug, for two years in a row. Accordingly, the injury prone label appears to me to be, unfortunately, accurate. 
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts