Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

Most teams have 5 personnel errors....per year!!.....if not more.

I don't get the point the OP is trying to make.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
    [QUOTE]Most teams have 5 personnel errors.... per year!! .....if not more. I don't get the point the OP is trying to make.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

My point exactly. I think 27-31 teams would be willing to trade their draft history the past 10 years for the Patriots'. Enough said. Call me a Koolaid drinker but let's be realistic: the draft is a crapshoot and we still do pretty well. Just like how we're fielding a contender every year for the second decade in a row in an NFL with a salary cap and free agency. We're defying odds here, people. You'll miss it when it's gone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

1.) Decision Not to Sign Asante Samuel:
    Although it seems that BB had a bad streak of busts on CB selections I sure thought the Butler would work out.  Has the tools and because of that may have some trade value.  Talk is he needs a change of scenery.  Bodden didn't cost us much and was a CB looking to get back to form.  Playing for Detroit didn't help his cause much.  The cost of McCourty alone looks like letting Samuel go was worth the pick.  Samuel was wanting money.  A lot of money.  Not a good tackler and dropped the ball that should have won the Pats a 4th SB.  Great CBs catch that ball.

2.) Clay Matthews:
    I don't know why this keeps on getting brought up because no one knew what he would be able to do.  It's only after his success in GB that we acclaimed the miss by Bill.  He never started a full season at USC, the roid talk, the talent surrounding him were all flags to pass on him.  I can't blame BB on passing on him.  Where's the Maualuga talk?

3.) Passing on WR Mike Wallace:
    Is he a #1 WR?  I don't know if he fits the bill yet.  If not for the injury Tate would had been a high first rounder.  I don't consider this a mistake at all.  Tate may end up a miss but I thought the choice right at the time.  Would Wallace be able to learn the Pats system?

4.) Chad Jackson:
    Chad is another WR that fell and the Pats moved up to get him.  Often injured he never worked out.  With the signs of Ocho having a hard time with the offense it seems Jackson and Tate may not have the aptitude for this offense.  Another player with the tools that couldn't learn the system.  Yep, a bust. 

5.) Laurence Maroney:
     At the time Bobby Carpenter and I believe Manny Lawson were of high interest on this board.  As the draft went along Dallas took care of Carpenter.  The Pats went with Maroney who showed some promise his rookie year.  He was beat up his second year and was never the same player after that.  This was the guy I wanted the Pats to draft too.  Bust#2.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

[QUOTE]Bodden also does something that Samuel won't- TACKLE!
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Speaking of tackling, watch the beginning of last years Superbowl to see Matthews get steamrolled on a few running plays.  The Steelers should have kept running right at him until he was pulp.

Who wants an LB who can't play the run and who makes a WWE PED pose everytime he makes a play?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I don't agree with 3 because even thou they didn't draft well with WR's they have brought in Welker and Moss.  Also, jury is still out on Price.  Would like to see him healthy for a full season to see what he can do.  Hell, they won a Super bowl with less talented receivers then they have had the last few years. As it relates to the Jets game I don't care if they had Rice and Fitzgerald at WR, if you don't have time to pass it doesn't matter who is out there.  Problem in the Jets game was the OL not the WR's. What I would add as an issue and it may not be popular her but its my opinion.  (if you want to expand "personal" to include coaching staff) #1)  Never replacing Wiess and Crennel with solid well established assistants.  Look BB is a great coach, one of the best ever, but I just think he spread himself way to thin (especially right after they left).  I think he was trying to do to much and it hurt in some game-planing, in game adjustments, etc.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

very good point patsman
    "1)  Never replacing Wiess and Crennel with solid well established assistants.  Look BB is a great coach, one of the best ever, but I just think he spread himself way to thin (especially right after they left).  I think he was trying to do to much and it hurt in some game-planing, in game adjustments, etc"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]cunningham over dunlap was a major miscue. i called for a change to the 43 before the past two drafts. dunlap is a 21 year old monster coming off a rookie season with more sacks than Suh. the pats doibled down on the 34 in the 2010 draft by selecting spikes, who had and has little 43 flexibility. plenty of rangy 43 linebackers available in this past draft, and de romeus or lb herzlich could have been had in the seventh round, along with quality running backs. instead we took two rbs early instead of just one, in a rb class with an abundance of depth. Oh, and that seventh rounder was wasted on a backup safety who has since been cut to nobody's surprise.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

arodrambone,

we're thinking the same

"i called for a change to the 43 before the past two drafts"

i called for a scheme change 2 yrs ago too

"cunningham over dunlap was a major miscue."

been echoing this since draft

rb's, etc all good points!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The biggest personnel problem we've had in the BB era was replacing Charlie Weis, everything else was peanuts...

Asante = not worth the money
    Clay = hindsight is 20/20 and we got great players in the draft I wouldnt want to be without now
    Wallace = really?
    Chad Jackson = bust, but easily the most athletic receiver in that draft
    Maroney = injured and was never the same

Considering our overall record and that we win the AFC East every year this may be a case of nitpicking...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE] I don't see not signing Samuel as a mistake. Babe! I agree with you!  lol
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

Hoodie has a virtually flawless record concerning when to let a guy go. Regarding players he can run through practices and observe in his systems first hand he has impeccable judgement.

If he had the same acumen regarding players you can only observe out of your first hand view, we would have 2 or 3 more rings during his tenure.

And that is the difference between a coach and a GM.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The problem with a list like this, is that there are too many people here that are just plain fans and see no wrong in any mistakes that are ever made. They think that getting Brady in the seventh round was not luck, but just good drafting, therefore every pick we make is gold (until they are cut and the mistake/experiment ends). You see they will also explain that we weren't suppose to win any Super Bowls between 2007-2010, because we were rebuilding. Plus we were smartly planning for the "new" nfl in which every team but us will be way over the salary cap. Sorry, never happened. Truth is we could of spent a little more and played for today, not tomorrow and who knows? Maybe Baltimore and the Jets wouldn't of punched us in the face - at home - in the playoffs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Tex really seems to be hoping to win a job at the Globe (or maybe ESPN). 

Hindsight is always 20-20.  The only way to really determine whether the Pats drafted well or poorly would be to do a comprehensive statistical analysis of the drafts of all teams over the past decade or so and then compare.  These "in hindsight" opinions (not based on any rigourous data) are the stock-and-trade of sportswriters . . . but they are absolutely meaningless since they have no statistical rigour. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm not going to do the woulda shoulda on guys not picked in the draft.  For every 2nd round or later guy who ends up a star there are 32 teams that failed to draft them.  And there are half a dozen of those guys every draft.  I would worry more about the guys they did pick.  Of course for every late round pick that you say is just "luck" you could make the argument that early round picks who are graded highly by everybody are just the same.  Everyone thought Maroney was a first round/ early second round talent coming out of college.  He wasn't, but whether the Pats picked him or someone else picked him he would have been picked.

Mistakes are- Maroney, Jackson, Tate(probably).  Signing Adalius.

Maybe Asante, I don't know, he hasn't exactly been spectacular but I think he could have helped.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]The problem with a list like this, is that there are too many people here that are just plain fans and see no wrong in any mistakes that are ever made. They think that getting Brady in the seventh round was not luck, but just good drafting, therefore every pick we make is gold (until they are cut and the mistake/experiment ends). You see they will also explain that we weren't suppose to win any Super Bowls between 2007-2010, because we were rebuilding. Plus we were smartly planning for the "new" nfl in which every team but us will be way over the salary cap. Sorry, never happened. Truth is we could of spent a little more and played for today, not tomorrow and who knows? Maybe Baltimore and the Jets wouldn't of punched us in the face - at home - in the playoffs.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I must say, these are very sober observations.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Ask Oakland if Namde was a "failure" because he didn't catch a lot of  interceptions? If that is your criteria for what makes a good corner then you are further away from reality then I originally suspected. Oh wait, maybe making "the pro bowl" is what elevates a player to above mediocrity in your opinion. Bodden is a physical cb who is one of the few remaining whom can wrap up and tackle. He plays tight coverage and was a diamond in the rough for a 09 pats team with a depleted secondary. Guys get injured in the most physical sport in the world all the time. It doesn't mean they are failures and it doesn't mean they weren't focused as you say Brady wasn't in 08! lol Also 22 million(Bodden) is not 60 million(asante) I'm glad you weren't making personnel decisions for our team. You would have crippled us for years with your asante deal. BTW that ball went right through asante's hands as he jumped a foot and a half  off the ground. Pretty sure he had a vertical leap of over 18 inches at the combine so yes I say Samuel that choker should have caught eli's under pressure duck ball, especially with the Superbowl and undefeated season on the line. As mentioned above by several other posters, you can name things that went wrong for every team in the league but the fact remains that this team was rebuilding for the 2 years after Brady was hurt and still went 24-8. Enough with your "koolaid" b.s it's something your arch enemy underdog would say........you two sure have a lot in common!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]
    Not really TC.  I give some pats fans crap mostly for being totally unrealistic.  Being a little real/critical of your team does not mean you aren't a fan, but there are some blind homers who won't have any of it.  On the other hand there are those who claim to be fans but go way too far the other way.  That's TP.   

Its as if he's a newspaper columnist wannabe as opposed to a fan.  We all have columnists in our market who are seemingly against nearly everything our teams do as if they have an axe to grind.  Ultimately, I wonder if they even believe what they write, but that they are just doing their job which is to be controversial in order to sell material.  That's TP. 

The fact is that effective drafting is never guaranteed.  From the 06-09 draft, only 74 of 256 players drafted in the first and second round have started a majority of their games each season. 

Further, 46 of those 256 players have NEVER started a majority of games in ANY season they've played. 

Teams make personnel decisions that they think are best and even for the best teams, sometimes they don't work out.  There's no real reason to be critical of Chad Jackson or Adalius Thomas. 

Now, I do think that whoever said the pats could have spent more over these years has a point.  Teams don't do themselves favors by strapping themselves  themselves financially for years to come with irresponsible contracts, but leaving an excessive amount of cap space money unused doesn't seem to make a lot of sense either unless the team simply can't find value in any available players.

But I digress, TP's ok.  You just have to take him with a grain of salt.  He likes inflammatory headlines and his body of work smacks of an ESPN Sports Reporters wannabe. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]The problem with a list like this, is that there are too many people here that are just plain fans and see no wrong in any mistakes that are ever made. They think that getting Brady in the seventh round was not luck, but just good drafting, therefore every pick we make is gold (until they are cut and the mistake/experiment ends). You see they will also explain that we weren't suppose to win any Super Bowls between 2007-2010, because we were rebuilding. Plus we were smartly planning for the "new" nfl in which every team but us will be way over the salary cap. Sorry, never happened. Truth is we could of spent a little more and played for today, not tomorrow and who knows? Maybe Baltimore and the Jets wouldn't of punched us in the face - at home - in the playoffs.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Where do you get this crap?  None of this is true.  You absolutely don't understand the Brady draft.  Brady was drafted in the sixth round.  The draft of Brady is more about a diamond in the rough and having him ranked higher on the draft board than other teams. 

2007 - the SB was the AFC championship.  Indy beats Chicago easily.
    2008 - lost SB to the Giants.  If Samuels holds on to the ball, NE wins.  The Giants came up with the big play and won. 
    2008 season - Brady gets hurt.  I don't know what your looking for here.
    2009 season - If anything this was the missing year.  Samuel and Vrabel are gone and Seymour traded.  The defense was woeful.  Maroney's decline.  A bad year.
    2010 season - the only rebuild season on the list.  The number of rookies and 2nd year players starting.
    This year expectations should be high.

It is fans like you who view the mistake in hindsight.  When a draft pick is made I get excited if the pick is someone I wanted the Pats to draft.  Case in point Butler.  He is not working out but because of his tools he is seen to have trade value.  Many feel he'll do alright with another team.  Maroney was high on my list as well.  Good rookie year.  Had a couple of years where he got beat up and was never the same after that.  Who knows why?  The "cut and experiment ends" shows no thought.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

People forget that the Patriots got a 4th round pick for Maroney last year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10. Show mar10's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :      Absolutely right. I did not create this thread to bash BB and the Patriots. Just some Patriots' football talk here.      Though all teams make mistakes, the teams with the fewest mistakes are the ones usually contending for the SB.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Draft is and always will be a crap shoot.  Some are better drafters than others... But overall lady luck has as big a hand in it as anyone.  EVERYONE new that Peyton Manning was better than Ryan Leaf,  Trent Dilfer and Heath Shuler were busts, Blair Thomas, Ron Dayne, Lawrence Phillips all were going to be big let downs right?

Everyone raved about the picks of Tom Brady and Terrell Davis?  The simple fact is that both of those players were dumb luck picks that changed the course of their team's, the NFL's, and their coach's fate.  Shanny himself called the TD pick the worst draft pick of all time.  If he had any clue to what he was drafting why would give every other team 6 cracks at drafting such a talent?

Both of these players gave their respective clubs the luxury of winning with a whole lot less talent around them than otherwise would be possible.  Not saying there was no talent around them... Just that Tom Brady doesn't need HOF wideouts and running backs to win.  This makes the David Givens, Dion Branch, Jermain Wiggins, Patrick Pass, J.R. Redmond and David Pattens all look like serviceable players.  You'll note that none of these players left the Pats to do anything of note for another club.  

In Summation:  I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S BEHIND That we didn't realize the greatness of Clay Mathews!  We have had our share of luck 'round these parts as far as the draft goes... Don't you think?  Tom Brady, Aaron Hernandes, Volmer, Woodhead, Gronkowski, are just the recent ones... Curtis Martin, Teddy B, Adam V, Troy Brown, Ben Coates... A few of the old school lucky picks.

So please stop your crying about missing on a few good draft picks.  Your not going yard on every draft class!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Not really TC.  I give some pats fans crap mostly for being totally unrealistic.  Being a little real/critical of your team does not mean you aren't a fan, but there are some blind homers who won't have any of it.  On the other hand there are those who claim to be fans but go way too far the other way.  That's TP.    Its as if he's a newspaper columnist wannabe as opposed to a fan.  We all have columnists in our market who are seemingly against nearly everything our teams do as if they have an axe to grind.  Ultimately, I wonder if they even believe what they write, but that they are just doing their job which is to be controversial in order to sell material.  That's TP.  The fact is that effective drafting is never guaranteed.  From the 06-09 draft, only 74 of 256 players drafted in the first and second round have started a majority of their games each season.  Further, 46 of those 256 players have NEVER started a majority of games in ANY season they've played.  Teams make personnel decisions that they think are best and even for the best teams, sometimes they don't work out.  There's no real reason to be critical of Chad Jackson or Adalius Thomas.  Now, I do think that whoever said the pats could have spent more over these years has a point.  Teams don't do themselves favors by strapping themselves  themselves financially for years to come with irresponsible contracts, but leaving an excessive amount of cap space money unused doesn't seem to make a lot of sense either unless the team simply can't find value in any available players. But I digress, TP's ok.  You just have to take him with a grain of salt.  He likes inflammatory headlines and his body of work smacks of an ESPN Sports Reporters wannabe. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    The idea that the Pats have left money on the table is a myth propogated by those incapable of using google.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Draft is and always will be a crap shoot.  Some are better drafters than others... But overall lady luck has as big a hand in it as anyone.  EVERYONE new that Peyton Manning was better than Ryan Leaf,

RESPONSE: Actually, nothing could be further from the truth. Whether the Colts should take Manning or Leaf was the dominant debate, prior to the 1998 NFL draft:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/1998/04/05/1998-04-05_the_great_1-2_debate__who_s_.html

Trent Dilfer and Heath Shuler were busts, Blair Thomas, Ron Dayne, Lawrence Phillips all were going to be big let downs right? Everyone raved about the picks of Tom Brady and Terrell Davis?  The simple fact is that both of those players were dumb luck picks that changed the course of their team's, the NFL's, and their coach's fate.

RESPONSE: To simply say that these were merely "dumb luck" picks is inaccurate, and misleading. Not every college football player gets drafted by an NFL team. It wasn't like the Patriots and Broncos drew names out of a hat. Both teams obviously saw some potential/talent in these two guys. That's why they were selected.    

Shanny himself called the TD pick the worst draft pick of all time.

RESPONSE: In that case, it's a good thing for the Broncos that Shanahan wasn't the guy making the selections for them. 

If he had any clue to what he was drafting why would give every other team 6 cracks at drafting such a talent? Both of these players gave their respective clubs the luxury of winning with a whole lot less talent around them than otherwise would be possible.  Not saying there was no talent around them... Just that Tom Brady doesn't need HOF wideouts and running backs to win.  This makes the David Givens, Dion Branch, Jermain Wiggins, Patrick Pass, J.R. Redmond and David Pattens all look like serviceable players.  You'll note that none of these players left the Pats to do anything of note for another club.

RESPONSE: Even though Brady wasn't selected until the 6th round, the Patriots deserve credit for drafting him. As I stated above, they must have seen something in him, that perhaps nobody else did, which justified them using their 6th round pick on him.   

In Summation:  I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S BEHIND That we didn't realize the greatness of Clay Mathews!  We have had our share of luck 'round these parts as far as the draft goes... Don't you think?

RESPONSE: No. Draft selections are not based on "luck". A team selects a guy when they feel that he has the ability to help their team win.  The Packers weren't "lucky" with Matthews, anymore than the Patriots were lucky with Brady. In Matthews case, they saw a pro-bowl caliber talent...and paid a heavy price to move up to get him. In Brady's case, the Pats saw a guy with potential...who grossly exceeded their expectations. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Tom Brady, Aaron Hernandes, Volmer, Woodhead, Gronkowski, are just the recent ones... Curtis Martin, Teddy B, Adam V, Troy Brown, Ben Coates... A few of the old school lucky picks.

RESPONSE: If you've read my posts throughout this thread, you'll see where I've stated that the purpose of it was not to criticize BB and the Pats...but to generate some good Patriots' football talk.
         With regards to Danny Woodhead, he was not drafted by the Patriots. He was an undrafted free agent, who was initially signed by the Jets. When they released him, the Pats signed him. Adam Vinatieri was also an undrafted free agent.
         Curtis Martin, Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, and Ben Coates were not "lucky" picks. There's no such thing. Teams don't draw names out of a hat  when they draft players. They do it based on their scouting reports, their respective system, and team needs. Though expectations may vary per player, teams expect every player selected to make a positive contribution to the team. 
    Posted by mar10[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : And a 3rd for Moss.  So, they took Ridley in the 3rd.  And Mallett.  Not too shabby on paper. Both Maroney and Moss are out of the NFL in 2011. As far as I can see, I don't see many other GMs trading starting players out of camp in 2010, and getting a 3rd and a 4th for those players who are no longer in the league the next year. Pretty silly return on each investment just as 7th rd Cassel in 2005 was for #34 overall 4 years later.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

This is a good point, but other teams do things differently.  For example, the colts don't often dabble in the trade market with their current players but require them to play out their contracts.  sometimes they leave, sometimes they resign with the colts. 

While the pats tactics may have worked in the case of Moss and Maroney, could they have received more value out of keeping Moss in the system and giving Brady a weapon.  There are still some here clamoring for his return. 

Did it work out for Seymour.  Sure they may have gotten a high value pick, but is that potential more valuable than the play they may have gotten from Seymour. 

Could Seymour and Vrabel have helped the pats win in the postseason? 

One can neither guarantee great future play from a draft pick acquired through a trade or continued excellence from the player traded if it never occurred.  The question, then is what do you value more - future potential, or current potential?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Dude, they TARGETED BRADY. So, no, it wasn't luck. My god. Haven't we been over this? Have you read ANY of the Pats books?  Patriot Reign, Education of a Coach or Pats Management Secrets Volumes 1 or 2? There is a science behind how they look at a lot of this. In fact, all of it. Trust me when I say it's not luck. They have a certain criteria they follow when assessing players MOST of the time and Brady is the quintessential example of this formula.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

chuckle

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Please don't say Maroney was ruined becuase of that shoulder injury, that's jsut insane. He's didn't blow out a knee and he's not a pitcher who had to have tommy john surgery. Ligament replacement and maybe back surgery are the only injurys I feel are a good excuse as to why players don't return to themselves. How could a broken shoulder ruin someone's career the damn thing heals itself given enough time! That's just really reaching he was never good enough to be a first round back and our team would be a better one had we taken most other players in that first round. He was a major bust