Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

The fact remains that nobody knows how a player's game will translate from college to the pros.

We all cringe whenever Darius Butler is on the field now, but prior to that 2009 draft there were numerous draft publications that had him going in the first round and had him rated among the top 5 corners available. When the Pats got him near the middle of the second round it was considered somewhat of a steal at that point.

Chad Jackson? Another guy rated as a potential first rounder who went in the second. EVERY draft publication said that about him.

On the flip side, every Boston football "pundit" absolutely trashed Belichick for taking Seymour over a "much needed" wide receiver (Koren Robinson, David Terrell, etc.) with the 6th overall pick in 2001. Why did they trash the pick? Because BLESTO (still around at the time) and the other "media draft guides" told them that Seymour was a questionable selection, especially to be taken that high in the first round.

Personally, I was psyched about the Seymour pick because I'd seen him a lot in college and I thought he'd help the team, and I knew that defense, not lack of WRs, was why they'd gone 5-11 in the 2000 season.

But Darius Butler? UConn was rarely on TV so I never saw him play in college. I, like everyone else, could base my "excitement" over that pick only on what the "experts" were saying about him prior to the draft.

It's just a total crapshoot--the entire draft process.

You do your due diligence, you watch the college game film, and you workout certain players. Then you make your decisions and you hope their game's translate to the next level.

I literally once had a guy down in Miami (about 16/17 years ago) tell me that the reason the Dolphins weren't winning Super Bowls with Marino at QB was "because they don't draft enough players from UM (the Univ. of Miami)." I asked him what he meant by that, and he said, "UM is the best college program in the country and the Dolphins need to draft more players from there." I asked him if he meant drafting their star players, who every NFL team wants, or just drafting as many players as possible from UM. He said, "as many players as possible." At that point I politely told him that there's a reason why that of the 65 players UM dressed for their games every week, only about 8 or 9 of them end up even playing in the NFL, and only 4 or so make it to the Pro Bowl multiple times: the NFL game is played on a totally different planet from the college game.

He didn't get that fact, apparently, but it's illustrative of the entire "do your homework and then cross your fingers" mindset that you've got to take when it comes to the draft, because you simply never know how these guys' games will translate to the next level.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I hate speculating with "we should have drafted that guy instead cause he is a star" type analysis. We could say that for every single team that passed up on Brady couldn't we. Does that haunt every team?

No, I think if we are going to truly perform a meaningful analysis, we need to look at who we signed or drafted and determine whether they performed accordingly or didn't.

Adalius Thomas would fit perfectly here. Considered to be one of the best LB's in football when we signed him, he turned into a tremendous bust and big hit to the wallet. He was turned into a Haunting Error...especially for those of us who have a AT jersey that they can no longer wear.

Maroney.....had the ability but simply never rose to the level of a 1st round draft pick. For all you LM lovers who tout his YPC, when you really break it down and look at meaningful statistics, he did nothing more than actually yield about 3 yards per carry. He was NOT a consistent 4 YPC back. NE expected to ride his shoulders along with Brady's arm to another SB, but he failed to live up to expectations.

Letting Asante go......you know, I'm on the fence here. I think one of the reasons the Pats are admired, whether other owners will admit it or not, and envied around the league is their ability to make sound financial decisions. Look at Adam V. The Pats were unwillingly to pay a kicker the kind of money he was going to want. So they let him walk. They were unwilling to pay Asante the kind of money he wanted. I think for the most part, the Pats have made the right moves financially more often than not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Samuel cost us 19-0 by dropping that easy INT, he was too busy seeing dollar signs to focus on the task at hand. He only haunted me when he botched perfection, i have not missed him at all, good riddance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
    [QUOTE]Samuel cost us 19-0 by dropping that easy INT, he was too busy seeing dollar signs to focus on the task at hand. He only haunted me when he botched perfection, i have not missed him at all, good riddance.
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

You and a few other people must have watched a different game from the one I saw. The so-called "easy" INT was thrown very high, and to the left of Samuel. If he had caught it, it would have been a great play.

It also would have resulted in him being offered, and signing, a lucrative extension with the Patriots.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I am waiting for Underpants to put a "chuckle" response under every Pats fan who knows it wasn't "luck". What a geek. The jealousy is just fascinating to watch. Any NFL fan who thinks they randomly selected any QB because it was late in the draft is clueless.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I think my point is, when you draft the best QB in the game (who may go on to be the best ever) in the 6th round....that's luck. If not, then Rohan Davey and O'Connell (who were drafted higher) were meant to be better players/selections. All the "science" in the world doesn't change the fact that the NFL draft is still very much a crap shoot, that turns nobody personnel men into high power millionaires in short time. Did they think Brady had potential? Sure. It's just luck (and a lot of determination by him) that he happened to turn out like he did. Markell Carter was thought to have potential and "science" behind his selection too, he'll be working at Burger King next week. All the science in the world won't turn Markell into Lawrence Taylor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

You could go back in time and look at every round and see which players make an actual impact and say if we drafted only the guys who turned out to be the good players in the draft all of our problems would be solved. The problem is, you can't know which players will pan out. 

I think the Pats have drafted decently in recent years. Every team has some years that are lemons and others that are gold strikes. I think when it comes to the draft the only legit way to look at it is are we getting players that make the team and make an impact with a reasonable level of success? The answer is yes the Pats have been able to do this. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I think the only error that one can reasonably argue is letting Richard Seymore go. If we'd had a pass rush last year, we must likely would have made it further into the playoffs. We wouldn't have been just about the worst team in the league on 3rd downs.  The original five that began this thread are conjecture. 
    Posted by BrocktonMike[/QUOTE]

I thought that Seymour was underachieving with the Patriots...and liked the trade, shipping him to Oakland, for the Raiders' #1 in 2011. It's unfortunate that the Raiders had to pick last year to become a decent team, for a change.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :      You and a few other people must have watched a different game from the one I saw. The so-called "easy" INT was thrown very high, and to the left of Samuel. If he had caught it, it would have been a great play.      It also would have resulted in him being offered, and signing, a lucrative extension with the Patriots.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

So you think if Samuel had made that pick(which was absolutely catch-able) then Belichick would have forked over 60 mill??

I think BB would have stuck to his value system(which he always has) and Samuel would have been gone SB hero or not. BTW, BB's system has coincidentally made us the best team in football over the past decade.

I don't really think he is haunted by anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I for one saw it as a catchable pick. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

No way he'd have let him go after catching that pick.  I mean, look at Deion Branch Super Bowl MVP he made sure he got a contract to stay a Patriot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :      Wins and loses is the way to determine whether a team is doing a good job drafting...not a ridiculous statistical analysis...LOL!!!      

No, actually a statistical analysis is the only way to get a real answer. Unfortunately, you're not smart enough to do one, and I don't have the time. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : Here's what I don't get - If, as Rusty said, Belichick was SO far ahead of everyone else in identifying talent that he could KNOWINGLY target one of the next all-time great QB's while also KNOWING that he could do it without spending more than a 6th rd pick on him, then how in the world could he have possibly missed on the likes of Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Brock Williams, Guss Scott, Chad Jackson, KEVIN O'CONNELL, and Tyrone McKenzie?   All of the guys were drafted AT LEAST 3 rounds above Brady and none of them sniffed a career.    And if Belichick's talent isn't for all positions but is specific to QB's, then how come O'Connell was a bust?  I mean even if he didn't make it with the Pats, surely he would have made it somewhere else, right? 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Obviously Brady was a lucky pick. Saying otherwise is the ranting of someone liquored up on Hoodie worship kool-aide. Obviously Guys like Davey and O'Connell show hoodie isn't ahead of any curve regarding drafting QBs or drafting in general for that matter.

Luck has a way of evening things out. So as lucky as Hoodie was in getting Brady, he was unlucky in watching Tyree's circus stunt catch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Butterfingers Asante got both hands on the ball and just flubbed it.

Hoodie has never been wrong about letting a guy go, and he wasn't wrong on Samuel. He was an average CB who could jump a route every other game or so. That's it. And the one thing he could do well, he couldn't do at the most important moment of his life, and perhaps the most important single moment in NFL history.

The hallowed magnificence of a perfect season of sheer domination slipped through his hands (not to mention 4 SBs in 7 years). Let somebody else fork over top money to a guy like that.

No Patriot in history has ever let this team down more than Asante Samuel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Truer words have never been spoken, pfhuck that guy, he can go choke on his godd@m oversized paycheck.

[QUOTE]Butterfingers Asante got both hands on the ball and just flubbed it. Hoodie has never been wrong about letting a guy go, and he wasn't wrong on Samuel. He was an average CB who could jump a route every other game or so. That's it. And the one thing he could do well, he couldn't do at the most important moment of his life, and perhaps the most important single moment in NFL history. The hallowed magnificence of a perfect season of sheer domination slipped through his hands (not to mention 4 SBs in 7 years). Let somebody else fork over top money to a guy like that. No Patriot in history has ever let this team down more than Asante Samuel.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
    [QUOTE]     If a team wants to seriously contend every year for a championship, it's imperative that the team avoid personnel mistakes...which can damage or destroy SB dreams.      From what we've seen of the 2011 Patriots, questions linger about the ability of their defense to pressure the opposing passer, pass coverage, and at WR. Here are five(5) mistakes which have haunted the Patriots over the past several years:        1.) Decision Not to Sign Asante Samuel: To replace Samuel, the Patriots eventually spent free agent dollars on CBs Deltha O'Neal,and Leigh Bodden. They also spent two second round draft choices on Terrence Wheatley and Darius Butler. The failure of these players led to the Patriots using their #1 draft choice in 2010 on CB Devin McCourty.      In McCourty, BB appears to have finally found Samuel's replacement. But, the cost to replace Samuel was free agent dollars...which could have been allocated to sign Samuel, two second round draft choices, and one first rounder .        2.) Clay Matthews: The inability to rush the opposing passer has been a problem ever since Willie McGinest and Mike Vrabel aged. The Pats have done little in the draft to solve this problem...spending a 3rd round draft choice in 2008 on the worthless Shaun Crable, and a second rounder on DE/OLB Jermaine Cunningham.       In the 2009 draft, BB passed on the opportunity to select OLB Clay Mathews with his 26th overall pick, opting instead to trade down with the Green Bay Packers, for the rather steep price of the 41st pick overall, and two third rounders. These picks netted them CB Darius Butler, WR Brandon Tate, and, eventually, promising TE, Rob Gronkowski. With each passing day, Butler and Tate look like busts. Gronk has the potential to become a pro-bowl caliber TE.       As a result of this draft trade, the Pats have spent millions in free agency to bring in several veterans, who they hope can generate a pass rush. Meanwhile, the Packers won the SB last year, as Matthews earned pro-bowl honors. But, to be fair, it must be pointed out that Matthews has benefited from playing with one of the better secondaries in the game, the past two years;       3.) Passing on WR Mike Wallace:  One of the things that led to that embarrassing playoff loss to the Jets was that the Patriots lacked a deep threat at WR. The Pats could have solved this problem in the third round of the 2009 draft, if only they had selected Mike Wallace over WR Brandon Tate. Tate was chosen with the 83rd overall selection...and Pittsburgh took Wallace at #84. Though the jury is still out on Tate, it's becoming increasingly clear that he's the second coming of Bethel Johnson...while Wallace has evolved into one of the most feared deep threats in the game.      4.) Chad Jackson: Prior to the Tate mistake discussed above, there was the trade up in the 2006 draft, to acquire WR Chad Jackson. The Pats parted with the 52nd and 75th picks that season to move up to #36, and land this monumental bust.       Curiously enough, the Jackson deal was also made with the Packers, who used the 52nd overall selection to take WR Greg Jennings...who has averaged 80 receptions for around 1200 yards (16 yards per catch), over the past three seasons. This, along with the failure to draft Wallace, has left the Patriots with a weakness at WR, heading into this season.        5.) Laurence Maroney: Though Maroney had his moments with the Pats, he never evolved into the stud RB that the Pats hoped they acquired with the 21st overall pick in the 2006 draft. His short-comings led to the acquisition of failed free agent Fred Taylor, and the Pats spending second and third round choices on RBs last April.                             

This proves my theory: When it comes to early rounds, either BB hasn't got a clue, or is a plain poor judge of talent. Here's my take:

1) Samuel - it was very clear that he wanted out, and "negotiated" himself oiut via the media. I can't hold BB acountable on that one, considering how he won the SB vs Philthydelphia with a sandlot Dbackfield. (Maybe he was reading his own press clippings regarding his "greatness"?) Give me the draft picks any day over a yahoo player putting himself above teh team.

2) Clay Matthews - If you will recall, when that trade went down I was loud and very vocal on this board against it. He would have filled a real need for teh team. Not the first time this had happened, and not teh last time. Again, to obtain a handful of "tomorrows", where he has yet to put into place with draft studs.

3) Wallace - I'll give BB a break on this one. They went one after teh other. He saw something in Tate. I'll call this a coin flip. Hindsight is always 20/20.

4) Chad Jackson - Another "He did what?" No Florida WR has ever done well in the NFL. Nuff said

5) Maroney - To me, they babied him too much. Too many injuries and caution. When they cut him loose, he did well. But when they held him back, well, we know the story. But, this again brings my initial comment into play about BB not having a clue in the early rounds. We could have Ingraham this ytear instead of an aging backfield and lower round playuers with "up side".

Again, my question is this: With all these early picks, the time has got to come when they are actually used and not traded... for more/later draft picks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : This proves my theory: When it comes to early rounds, either BB hasn't got a clue, or is a plain poor judge of talent. Here's my take: 1) Samuel - it was very clear that he wanted out, and "negotiated" himself oiut via the media. I can't hold BB acountable on that one, considering how he won the SB vs Philthydelphia with a sandlot Dbackfield. (Maybe he was reading his own press clippings regarding his "greatness"?) Give me the draft picks any day over a yahoo player putting himself above teh team. 2) Clay Matthews - If you will recall, when that trade went down I was loud and very vocal on this board against it. He would have filled a real need for teh team. Not the first time this had happened, and not teh last time. Again, to obtain a handful of "tomorrows", where he has yet to put into place with draft studs. 3) Wallace - I'll give BB a break on this one. They went one after teh other. He saw something in Tate. I'll call this a coin flip. Hindsight is always 20/20. 4) Chad Jackson - Another "He did what?" No Florida WR has ever done well in the NFL. Nuff said 5) Maroney - To me, they babied him too much. Too many injuries and caution. When they cut him loose, he did well. But when they held him back, well, we know the story. But, this again brings my initial comment into play about BB not having a clue in the early rounds. We could have Ingraham this ytear instead of an aging backfield and lower round playuers with "up side". Again, my question is this: With all these early picks, the time has got to come when they are actually used and not traded... for more/later draft picks.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

There are four players in particular to watch, in relation to the Pats' 2011 draft decisions. They are Muhammad Wilkerson, Jabal Sheard, Brooks Reed, and Anthony Castonzo:

1.) Wilkerson: Forget Ingram. I thought that BB did the right thing, trading the pick for the Saints' 56th overall pick, and their #1 pick in 2012. But, if the Pats had kept the pick, Wilkerson was the guy that the Pats likely would have selected at #28. He's a mountain of a man...a classic 3-4 DE, who can also line-up in a 4-3 at DT. Because he played against inferior competition in college (played at Temple), he was a late first round pick. After the Pats passed on him, he was selected by the Jets...and will be starting for them on their DL this season. If he turns into a stud...BB will be licking himself:
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/rex_ryan_says_jets_first-round.html
    2.) Sheard: The Pats passed on this Big East pass-rushung beast in order to select Ras-I Dowling at #33. Dowling can play, if he can stay healthy. Sheard was selected in the second round by the Cleveland Browns;

3.) Brooks Reed: Another OLB/DE type, who the Pats passed on for Dowling. He was selected in the second round by the Houston Texans;

4.) Castonzo: The Pats liked Nate Solder potential and athleticism over the more polished Castonzo. Castonzo will be starting at LT for the hated Colts this year...trying to save Peyton Manning's neck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

TP

I think you are micro-managing every decision BB makes versus looking at the whole situation. The reality is that Kraft and BB have brought stability to the Pats including 3 SB's, an undefeated regular season and countless AFC East titles. Some decisions have worked out very well, some do not but on balance they have done incredibly well. 

You are not applying a realistic standard to judge anyone by. "They should have done this, they should have gotten that player" is all hindsight and part of complaining loser type of mentality. No one can successfully lead their life that way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP I think you are micro-managing every decision BB makes versus looking at the whole situation. The reality is that Kraft and BB have brought stability to the Pats including 3 SB's, an undefeated regular season and countless AFC East titles. Some decisions have worked out very well, some do not but on balance they have done incredibly well.  You are not applying a realistic standard to judge anyone by. "They should have done this, they should have gotten that player" is all hindsight and part of complaining loser type of mentality. No one can successfully lead their life that way.
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

Again, for the fourth (4th) time, this thread was not meant as a criticism of BB...but to generate some Patriots' football talk, as we slog our way through the pre-season. 

Everybody understands that every team has made mistakes...and everybody knows that BB has made far more good moves, than bad.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots : This proves my theory: When it comes to early rounds, either BB hasn't got a clue, or is a plain poor judge of talent. Here's my take: 1) Samuel - it was very clear that he wanted out, and "negotiated" himself oiut via the media. I can't hold BB acountable on that one, considering how he won the SB vs Philthydelphia with a sandlot Dbackfield. (Maybe he was reading his own press clippings regarding his "greatness"?) Give me the draft picks any day over a yahoo player putting himself above teh team. 2) Clay Matthews - If you will recall, when that trade went down I was loud and very vocal on this board against it. He would have filled a real need for teh team. Not the first time this had happened, and not teh last time. Again, to obtain a handful of "tomorrows", where he has yet to put into place with draft studs. 3) Wallace - I'll give BB a break on this one. They went one after teh other. He saw something in Tate. I'll call this a coin flip. Hindsight is always 20/20. 4) Chad Jackson - Another "He did what?" No Florida WR has ever done well in the NFL. Nuff said 5) Maroney - To me, they babied him too much. Too many injuries and caution. When they cut him loose, he did well. But when they held him back, well, we know the story. But, this again brings my initial comment into play about BB not having a clue in the early rounds. We could have Ingraham this ytear instead of an aging backfield and lower round playuers with "up side". Again, my question is this: With all these early picks, the time has got to come when they are actually used and not traded... for more/later draft picks.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

I suppose it's not worth pointing out, then, that if we're talking about the first three rounds as the "early rounds," BB has selected the following players in those rounds during his tenure in NE (not in chronological order):

Richard Seymour
    Matt Light
    Ty Warren
    Vince Wilfork
    Devin McCourty
    Patrick Chung
    Deion Branch
    Rob Gronkowski

Eugene Wilson (easy to forget now, because his career crashed and burned quickly, but he was a key defensive cog on back-to-back SB winners)

Logan Mankins
    Sebastion Vollmer
    Jerod Mayo
    Brandon Spikes

Other notables (guys who contributed in the past, but weren't great players, and guys who may yet contribute): Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, Nick Kaczur, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Ellis Hobbs (great special teamer and an OK corner--he wasn't nearly as bad as some fans "remember" him), JR Redmond (HUGE contributions during the 2001 post-season run).

In 12 years of drafts (2000-2011), that's 20 guys taken in the first three rounds who either contributed big time or contributed somewhat to the Pats' cause, including guys who may very well contribute big time down the road.

Feel free to quibble with some of my player assessments above, but to call BB "clueless" and a "poor judge of talent" in the early rounds of the draft is the height of hyperbole and is grounded purely in perception, not reality.

Hindsight (Clay Matthews, others) is always 20/20. Heck, I really wish he'd drafted Ed Reed in the first round of the '02 draft instead of Daniel Graham, but then again, at the time nobody knew the Ravens were getting a Hall-of-Famer when they drafted Reed either.

The Patriots have gone 135-44, including post-season, since the start of the 2001 season. OK, they haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004, but consider that the refs stole one from them in 2006 at Indy, and they had an incredible amount of bad luck out there in Glendale in the 2007 Super Bowl. Aside from that, they could very well have won 5 SBs since 2001, or at least 4.

They had to rebuild the roster after 2007, because players, no matter how great they are, get old. No team can possibly keep drafting studs year after year. Some draft classes just aren't that good and the teams with the higher picks are usually the ones who do well in those "weak" years (2006 is such an example, in fact...that was a weak draft overall and it was the weakest of the BB era in New England for sure).

I believe the Pats' early-decade success has created an impossible level of expectations among the fanbase.

This hyper-criticism of a guy whose draft record over the last 10 years stacks up as well as anyone's in the NFL, is one such example of the impossibly high expectations.

I'd love to see them win more Super Bowls, but I also realize that in today's NFL you not only have to be good, but you need some luck, too. The Pats were good, and they had some luck, in 2001 and 2003 especially. Since 2004, their luck, starting with Bruschi's stroke at age 30, has been less than stellar.

But the talent now does seem to be in place for them to make another good 3-year run or so at winning more Super Bowls.

I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker, but merely a realist. I have criticized BB before and I'm sure I'll criticize him again. But the guy is human afterall--and he's not perfect.

But really, his track record in the draft stacks up as well as anyone's over the last decade. That is simply not an arguable point.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :      Again , for the fourth (4th) time, this thread was not meant as a criticism of BB...but to generate some Patriots' football talk, as we slog our way through the pre-season.       Everybody understands that every team has made mistakes...and everybody knows that BB has made far more good moves, than bad.   

Of course that is why TP used the word HAUNT in his thread title. 

This is what many call a backpedal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]No way he'd have let him go after catching that pick.  I mean, look at Deion Branch Super Bowl MVP he made sure he got a contract to stay a Patriot.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We're on the same page dude.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]TP I think you are micro-managing every decision BB makes versus looking at the whole situation. The reality is that Kraft and BB have brought stability to the Pats including 3 SB's, an undefeated regular season and countless AFC East titles. Some decisions have worked out very well, some do not but on balance they have done incredibly well.  You are not applying a realistic standard to judge anyone by. "They should have done this, they should have gotten that player" is all hindsight and part of complaining loser type of mentality. No one can successfully lead their life that way.
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

The real reality is since the players BB inherited have faded away he has won zero SBs in 6 tries plus has two one and outs and a no show in 3 years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]No way he'd have let him go after catching that pick.  I mean, look at Deion Branch Super Bowl MVP he made sure he got a contract to stay a Patriot.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

You should know better than to make this sarcastic statement, if you follow the Patriots. They put a low value on WRs...valuing QB, DL, OL, LBs, and DBs ahead of them. That's why they let Branch, a 5'9", 185lb. WR, go...as opposed to Samuel...who was one of the top play-making CBs in the league. 

Also, there was a huge difference between the 2003 SB, and winning the one in 2007. Pats' fans knew that their team was going football immortality, up against hated NY, and trying to shove spygate up the media's butt, when they faced the Giants. These things weren't in play when the Pats' played the Panthers.        

Sections
Shortcuts