Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

im not haunted...

if samual was worth half of what he got he would have made the intereception to seal the undefeatd season and cement the team as the best ever...

thy are still "one" of the best ever... with more to come... not all players regardless of where they are drafted pan out...look at all the undrafted players that do what they do  ...and if people "knew" what wallace "would" become he would have gone in the top 5.  

no one.... and i have said it before....no one has done what bill has done in the last 10 years... with only pittsburg coming close   

i have been following the pats for a long time and still feel it has never been better ..they are certainly due     

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Samuel is extremely good at jumping routes in zone coverage and getting the pick. But he's not a top cover corner, and with his gambling style he gives up some big plays. BB's strength as a personnel guy is that he balances short- and long-term interests well.  A lot of personnel guys make short-term decisions that might help the team for a year or two, but then they end up with a lot of expensive dead weight on the roster three, four, or five years down the road and not a lot of options to get better because they have limited draft picks and limted tradeable players.  BB manages his decisions well so that he seems always to have picks and tradeable players available so that his options are always open.  

In 2008, BB clearly didn't think a gambling corner was what he wanted as a long-term solution.  So he wasn't going to sign Samuel for the kind of long-term, high-cost deal Samuel was looking for.  Given that there wasn't an alternative, BB let him walk.  If you want to criticize BB, criticize him for not having a good back-up plan to replace Samuel after he was gone.  But the decision to let Samuel walk wasn't necessarily a bad one.  

Don't forget as well that Samuel was a fourth round pick in 2003 who was not expected to be anything special.  BB deserves some credit, I think, for finding great value in the low rounds.  But Samuel has his limits as a cover guy and BB knows that.  Apparently the Eagles do to, because Samuel seems to have sunk on their depth chart.  Rememeber the Eagles secondary gave up more touchdowns than any other secondary in football last year. You think that might have something to do with Andy Reid bringing in not just one, but two starting level corners to "supplement" Samuel?

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots

That comment has trollish qualities.

With the release of Brandon Meriweather today...I've added him to my list.
    Posted by TexasPat3

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
         The release of Brandon Tate makes the decisions to pass on Clay Matthews and WR Mike Wallace look even worse. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

It was a head scratcher to me when they drafted this guy - coming off a knee injury - not ready to play - hadn't done much of anything at receiver...plus we had other needs and the guy was a third rounder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
    In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :      I never said that it wasn't catchable...just that it was a difficult chance, and would have been a great play had he made it.      Gary, or somebody...I can't go back and watch any part of that game without getting angry, and sick to my stomach. If you still have the game recorded, do me a favor and go back, and watch that play again. I remember it as a difficult chance...as Asante was trying to catch a ball thrown high and to his left. Please let me know if I'm wrong. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Asante was standing there watching the ball come like a center fielder. He jumped as it came because he was sort of close to the sideline but had plenty of room to come down, and just missed it. This was the Lombardi Trophy gift wrapped special delivery and butterfingers TOTALLY BLEW IT. What a fn loser. One of the worst plays I have ever seen. The pass was a softball pitch. It was so blatantly blown one has to wonder if Samuel had bet on the Giants. If any of our receivers missed this exactly this way for a TD catch they would be demonized for all eternity by Pat's fans.

Here is your perfect season totally blown. He will never be forgiven by any reasonable Pat's fan for sucking so bad at the most critical moment in our history. He should be in prison for this. He should be banned from football. He should be forced to wear dresses the rest of his life. I would ban him from ever stepping foot in New England again. I wouldn't want him to play for us if he would play for free. And amazingly this chump somehow skates on this world class choke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6BzVqSu8_g

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
    In Response to Re: Five Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots :RESPONSE: I think you're underrating Samuel. I don't recall all the "big plays" he gave up at CB. I do recall many of the big plays he made in the secondary.  I agree that BB didn't want to pay him big money. But, the fact that Samuel continued to play well after being released...and that the Patriots could not replace him until spending a first round pick in 2010 on Devin McCourty, seems to bear out that  

Posted by TexasPat3

Samuel actually had a worse DPR in 2007 than Hobbs. He is and was the classic one trick pony. He jumps pass routes well. Other than that he is as average as they come, he blew the biggest moment in Super Bowl history and gave it to Tyree.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Six Personnel Errors That Haunt the Patriots:
         The release of Brandon Tate makes the decisions to pass on Clay Matthews and WR Mike Wallace look even worse. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

TPat, when are you going to start using the "I can't believe they passed on Suh" argument? And your complaints about bashing BB are totally correct. that is pretty much all you do. And since you take drafts out of context to make your arguments, which are pittifully naive, don't complain when others take your comments out of context.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

it seems to me that belicick is having to constantly make personnel decisiions

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

if he was wearing dresses in prison his assante would be wrecked

Sections
Shortcuts