Size Matters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Size Matters

I've heard a lot about what Bill Belichick wants from the OLB spot lately. Someone 6'4" and 260 Lbs that can set the edge and get after the passer and also drop back in coverage.  I'm not as knowledgable about the game as I'd like to be and I think it would be useful for everybody if there was a discussion about the size and skill set of players at every position the patriots like.  I'm all ears like dumbo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Size Matters

Belichick loves big OLBs. Willie was big, Vrabel was big, Adalius is big, Crable is big, TBC is big. 

He likes a big physical team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Big players are great, but what we need is ferocity.  I'd like to see someone on defense take another player's head off.  We haven't had that since Harrison.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Size Matters:
    [QUOTE]Big players are great, but what we need is ferocity.  I'd like to see someone on defense take another player's head off.  We haven't had that since Harrison.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

yep, we need to get the fear factor back

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The players these outside guys go up against are big, so it makes sense they need to be big as well. Left and right tackles are 6-5 300 plus, sooner or later they will get the best of a 6-1 245 undersized outside guy, especialy in short yardage. Also these guys are asked to cover or beat tightends for a period of time during a game, they usualy are in the 6-4 250 range. Christ even the QB's are 6-4 or 6-5 most of the time. I don't think there's anything scientific about it, but those guys are hard to find. Sometimes the smaller guys work out though (Banta Cain is only6-1)He held his own this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

BB doesn't like big cornerbacks.  Brady doesn't like big receivers (other than Moss). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"BB doesn't like big cornerbacks.  Brady doesn't like big receivers (other than Moss)."

I don't think either of those statements is true.  It's just that not too many tall guys have the quickness and cutting ability that BB prefers at WR and CB 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yes, BB does like his players to have a certain combination of size and skills based on position.

OLB's have generally be converted DE's, players with good size 6-4+ - 250+ etc.  He likes them to be able to set the edge, rush the passer and have some ability in coverage. 

CB's he likes them to have quickness in and out of breaks with the ability to flip their hips quickly to stay with receives in coverage.  It seems the quicker guys are usually the smaller guys which is why most of his corners have been 5-9 190 or so.  He'd take bigger guys if they had the needed quickness etc.

ILB's he again likes big 6ft + -  240+ guys that can take on OG's and full backs while filling vs the run but posses enough quickness and athleticism to drop back into coverage.

DT's since he generally run's a 3-4 he likes, big, thick, strong guys that are stout against the run, tough to move and generally occupy 2 offensive lineman.  This allows other players on the front 7 the ability to make plays since there are now less available blockers on offense.

DE's he likes big, long, versatile and athletic guys 6-4+ - 290+ that are stout against the run and have the ability to get after the QB if needed.  Players like Seymour had the ability to play most all of the positions along the DL in most scheme's/fronts.

WR's again he likes guys that are quick with their cuts and in and out of breaks, he also likes guys that run good routes and are able to work to get open, find soft spots in coverage.  These guys too have historiclly been smaller quicker guys.

Pay attention to the "3 cone drill" at the combine, this drill shows a players short area quickness and how quick/fluid they are in and out of cuts.

Also pay attention to the "short shuttle drill" as this tests a players lateral speed and agility etc.

Players that time well during these drills and meet BB's requisite size/skill set and are at a position of need could be potential targets come draft time.  Again, I'm not saying these drills mean everything, but they do gauge a players speed, quickness and agility etc which are desired skills of a BB defensive player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Big players are great, but what we need is ferocity.  I'd like to see someone on defense take another player's head off.  We haven't had that since Harrison.
    Posted by PatsFanGermany[/QUOTE]

I don't think ferocity is a huge issue, they have plenty of guys in the secondary capable of laying the wood, they do need guys who can tackle better though as the knock-out blow doesn't always work.  What I think they're missing more from Harrison is how he basically policed the team and set the tone for the entire defense, so it's the loss of his leadership that has created the biggest void. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Basically bigger usually equals less quick, slower and a general decrease in agility.  There are exceptions, but generally god just doesn't make very many big fast people, and there are some simple physics reason for this.  So then a smaller DE or LB may have a better chance at using their athletic ability to pentrate through or go around a line but they can also be easily overpowered by huge O-lineman, especially on running plays.  In general I think figuring out who to put where, and on which plays is the most important thing a D coordinator does while "brilliant" schemes to outsmart people is far less important.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

I also agree size matters, big guys are the key.  Smarts and toughness are overrated at LB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I also agree size matters, big guys are the key.  Smarts and toughness are overrated at LB.
    Posted by BBRULES23

I wouldn't go that far.  Bruschi was nothing but smart and tough (and not all that big).  Zach Thomas could play a little too, and I suspect BB could have figured.  Lots of other examples.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

In Response to Re: Size Matters : I wouldn't go that far.  Bruschi was nothing but smart and tough (and not all that big).  Zach Thomas could play a little too, and I suspect BB could have figured.  Lots of other examples.
    Posted by Muzwell

I was being sarcastic.   Anyone that thinks size is all that matters in the NFL doesn't have a clue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Size Matters : I was being sarcastic.   Anyone that thinks size is all that matters in the NFL doesn't have a clue.
    Posted by BBRULES23

I guess Kraft should be listening to you instead of the guy who won us three Super Bowls!

Sections
Shortcuts