Sizing Up the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hammer219. Show hammer219's posts

Re: Sizing Up the Patriots

Yeah, right on! I have always felt the defense has lost it's toughness from the day Dean Pees took over. This defense has talent and doesn't have the holes many think it has . . . what it needs is a leader on the coaching side that can motivate and meld it into cohesive unit. Anyone come to mind?

re: play calling; I feel the team would be much, much better off letting Brady call the offensive plays than O'Brien. Or anyone else for that matter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's an article on the 2010 Pats' LB corp: http://www.sportsofboston.com/2010/06/14/patriots-2010-preview-the-linebackers/. Here's another on the DL: http://www.sportsofboston.com/2010/06/08/patriots-2010-preview-defensive-line/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: Sizing Up the Patriots:
    Yeah, right on! I have always felt the defense has lost it's toughness from the day Dean Pees took over. This defense has talent and doesn't have the holes many think it has . . . what it needs is a leader on the coaching side that can motivate and meld it into cohesive unit. Anyone come to mind? re: play calling; I feel the team would be much, much better off letting Brady call the offensive plays than O'Brien. Or anyone else for that matter.
    Posted by hammer219

Tom has been exposed to packages by Charlie and a couple other OCs so I am sure he could handle that portion and I really think that the quality of the Offense has just been upgraded by having TEs who can go get and pull down receptions. In my mind, the spread Offense is back and that was the formula for us moving the chains, controlling the ball and picking up THREE big rings.  Tom is at his best with this mode and I have always thought that he was a master at the hurry up Offense with him calling his own plays and changing up at the line when he felt that he needed a different play.

I see Vincent as a real leader of the Defense and we know he loves to play with an in your face attitude.  We are back in the saddle again!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Like most of what I read Tex, but, there's always a but isn't there, MLB and CB. I see Guyton as the top MLB next to Mayo. As offenses are passing more and more, Guyton who seems to be able to cover RBs out of the backfield and is probably more comfortable in zone, than Spikes and Mackenzie, seems to be the frontrunner. Remember, he has played quite a bit in his first two years. Sure the Jets and Phins are running teams, but my guess is they will both try and pass a little bit more this year after having tried to bolster the WR position. Wilhite to me is still the first CB off the bench when it comes to 3 WR sets. I would  like to see McCourty beat him out and possibly push for playing time as a top 2 CB obviously but Wilhite has performed well as a NB and always seems to be in position just needs to get over the hump and start making those plays. Its Wilhite's spot to lose.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan

Lets' hope that CB Terrence Wheatley, and/or OLB Shawn Crable do something this year to justify their being selected in the 2nd and 3rd round, respectively, of the 2008 draft. Otherwise, it's time to stamp them with the dreaded "BUST" label, and move on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Yeah, right on! I have always felt the defense has lost it's toughness from the day Dean Pees took over. This defense has talent and doesn't have the holes many think it has . . . what it needs is a leader on the coaching side that can motivate and meld it into cohesive unit. Anyone come to mind? re: play calling; I feel the team would be much, much better off letting Brady call the offensive plays than O'Brien. Or anyone else for that matter.
    Posted by hammer219

Hopefully, rookie ILB Brandon Spikes will help to remedy the "D" going "soft". He could become that Ray Lewis-like leader that the team appears to be lacking. Brandon Meriweather could also emerge as a "D" leader. 

Here are some pros and cons on Spikes: http://www.giantsgab.com/2010/01/19/prospect-profiles-ilb-brandon-spikes/ 

Here's more on Spikes as a leader: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/jan/05/brandon-spikes-is-pillar-of-gators-defense/?printer=1/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: Sizing Up the Patriots : Did I read this correctly? You think the spread offense is the reason the offense helped win 3 rings? Really? It wasn't a solid running game, execution and spreading the ball around? 
    Posted by russgriswold

The spread offense enabled all of these items you listed above to eventuate.  I believe it allowed the offense to maximize its potentials.