Sleeping Giant : Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

Sleeping Giant : Patriots

Kraft was very influencial in writing the new CBA. The Pats know all the ins and out better than anyone.

They have been preparing for this years free agency for years....Stockpiling picks, keeping under the cap, etc....I think they shocked themselves last year how far they made it....

We're about to see why the Patriots are the best in the business. Kraft, BB, and Brady's legacy are on the line.

We're about to see the best Patriots yet.

It's about to get very exciting gentlemen....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Re: Sleeping Giant : Patriots

Agree.  What's somewhat funny is how no one is really talking about it, too. All the drama is elsewhere.

On draft night, fans of other teams will be all angry again because NE will manipulate the draft board and attract a nice FA or two. 

As crushing as that SB gift giveaway was, this is very much the case. We lost a SB because our best players didn't make basic plays when it mattered (Brady and Welker).  If that's our worst problem, I'll take it.  Nice problems to have.

The payoff comes now.  All the whiny little girls here in 2009, 2010 and most of last year as this club went 13-3 and played in a SB need to take a look around the NFL right now.  It was mentioned at the time by fans who knew what they were talking about and here we are.  How many teams attend a SB and then have the chance to own a draft/FA for the 3rd year in a row?

The cap jumps in 2014, so this means all the good teams right now are up against the wall, pretty much handcuffed, BUT the Patriots.    Is Denver, with 44 million to spend really close? I don't think so. They were bad all year and then played above their heads on the Tebow Mania junk. I think KC is closer.

Jets? Miami with a new coaching staff and possibly a new QB? Nope.

Buffalo? Nah. They still have some holes they need to address.

SD or Oakland?  Bad coach and a newer coach in Oakland have the odds against these kinds of teams.

Pittsburgh? Maybe.  Baltimore? Maybe.  Each is old and trending down, however.

Houston? Absolutely. 

There is not a better lock in the AFC than the Pats.   We know the draft situation.  They have some wiggle room to spend a little in FA, maybe more if Light retires.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Sleeping Giant : Patriots:
    [QUOTE]We lost a SB because our best players didn't make basic plays when it mattered (Brady and Welker).
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

We lost a SB because YET AGAIN the D could not get the stop for the win at the endgame.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

How can you blame either the defense or the offense (or the coaching staff or special teams) solely for the loss?  You might be able to single out the offense if it did not score at all or the defense if they were blown out, but it was a close game.  The offense could have done more, and the defense could have done more. It's a team (as Bill Belichick says, that's T-E-A-M, team) game, and it's a team loss. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

They always seem to be well stocked in the draft. Even when they lost the #31 last time they had it they still covered it. We'll see what they do in FA. I'm sure they have all their accountants working on how to crunch contract numbers! My guess is a lot of teams will be trying to backload cap hits until '14!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Bass,

I agree with most of what you outlined. I do believe, as much as it sickens me, that Pittsburgh will remain among the top in the AFC. Here's one you forgot, and with good reason, but I actually think Cinncinatti is on the rise. They have a bunch o' money, a very good QB and receivers and a pretty good defense. Isn't Cleveland close too? Minus the QB of course.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sleeping Giant : Patriots : You mean, the year after winning 14 games and losing their only playoff game two years in a row, they were not expecting to improve?  If they were not expecting another great year from TB, and finally winning a playoff game, then they need to raise their expectations.  Our path was paved with gold this year.  Getting to play 8-8 Denver was a godsend.
    Posted by Bustchise[/QUOTE]

And playing a Jax team in 2005 or 2007 wasn't?  Your trollwork isn't very good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE] Bass, I agree with most of what you outlined. I do believe, as much as it sickens me, that Pittsburgh will remain among the top in the AFC. Here's one you forgot, and with good reason, but I actually think Cinncinatti is on the rise. They have a bunch o' money, a very good QB and receivers and a pretty good defense. Isn't Cleveland close too? Minus the QB of course.
    Posted by Joel63[/QUOTE]
     as far as Cincy, two words:  Marvin Lewis

as far as the mistake on the lake:  no QB?  "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE] Bass, I agree with most of what you outlined. I do believe, as much as it sickens me, that Pittsburgh will remain among the top in the AFC. Here's one you forgot, and with good reason, but I actually think Cinncinatti is on the rise. They have a bunch o' money, a very good QB and receivers and a pretty good defense. Isn't Cleveland close too? Minus the QB of course.
    Posted by Joel63[/QUOTE]

Cincy is ahead of Cleveland, yes.  I like McCoy, but I would say Cincy is ahead with what they're doing.  Agree on Cincy on the rise, but they'll probably do something stupid to screw it up. Maleuluga looks like a classic character risk player for them as it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Go get Mario!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping Giant : Patriots : We lost a SB because YET AGAIN the D could not get the stop for the win at the endgame.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

In the two most recent SB losses, the offense barely scored 14 and 17 points in the most explosive offensive era in NFL history.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

First: 11/13/2006
    Last: 3/12/2012

Go get Mario!

WHY!  So he can be injured half the year like he is always?  Not worth the money.  John Abraham would be a nice signing for alot less money.  Spend the money on Abraham and say Courtland Finnegan and you will get a better return then from Mario Williams.  Trust me-- live in Houston, there is a reason why he is available.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping Giant : Patriots : We lost a SB because YET AGAIN the D could not get the stop for the win at the endgame.

Scoring only 14 and 17 points will lose almost any super bowl, especially these days. Allowing less than 20 points on defense wins nearly every super bowl. The offense was mostly the blame for the past two SB losses. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping Giant : Patriots : Scoring only 14 and 17 points will lose almost any super bowl, especially these days. Allowing less than 20 points on defense wins nearly every super bowl. The offense was mostly the blame for the past two SB losses. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

And giving up their usual 400 yards, allowing the opponent to hold the ball for big chunks of time, getting zero turnovers and failing in the endgame is great D that gave the O only 8 real possessions. This garbage D played right into the Giants' hands.

Wake up. The D LOST BOTH SBS at the end failing to get stops when we had the lead. End of f'n story.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping Giant : Patriots : In the two most recent SB losses, the offense barely scored 14 and 17 points in the most explosive offensive era in NFL history.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

The Giants did the same thing to this D the Steelers did, eating up clock on long drives and limiting the Pats' offensive possessions to 3-4 less than normal with the D getting zero turnovers in this case. Very similar final score and very similar strategy to exploit a D that gives up way too many yards.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]And giving up their usual 400 yards, allowing the opponent to hold the ball for big chunks of time, getting zero turnovers and failing in the endgame is great D that gave the O only 8 real possessions. This garbage D played right into the Giants' hands. Wake up. The D LOST BOTH SBS at the end failing to get stops when we had the lead. End of f'n story.
    Just what did you expect from the 31st ranked defense? Score more points.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping Giant : Patriots : Just what did you expect from the 31st ranked defense? Score more points.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

As I said in the game thread early in the second half - just give me clutch D in the endgame. Didn't happen. I admit, I really didn't expect it considering the history.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]rameakap Posts: 11504 First: 11/13/2006 Last: 3/12/2012 ba061b02c6a0fa4e524f7162211782c0 Go get Mario! WHY !  So he can be injured half the year like he is always?  Not worth the money.  John Abraham would be a nice signing for alot less money.  Spend the money on Abraham and say Courtland Finnegan and you will get a better return then from Mario Williams.  Trust me-- live in Houston, there is a reason why he is available.
    Posted by Yaso#7[/QUOTE]

Let's see:

'06 - 16 games
    '07 - 16 games
    '08 - 16 games
    '09 - 16 games
    '10 - 13 games
    '11 - first year he missed more than 3 ganes

Stats prove you wrong

but I would be more than happy with Abraham/Finnegan for the same $

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

as far as Cincy, two words:  Marvin Lewis

I'm not sure how you mean that? I think its more the O coordinator Jay Gruden *Chuckys brother or something like that*  Before Dalton it was draw, draw, inc 30 yards down field into double coverage, punt. Gruden is geting the most out of his players. They have 2 fisrt rounders this year and next year I think too.
    The problem with the bengals was the salary cap. They would pick top 5 and dump all their coin into 5 guys. Now they can afford real depth. The Bengals never play on Monday night cause work release is only on weekends. Oh yes, but at least they have the right uniforms... stripes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]As I said in the game thread early in the second half - just give me clutch D in the endgame. Didn't happen. I admit, I really didn't expect it considering the history.
    I too miss having a clutch defense. Maybe next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]You may have been joking, but that's a good point.  We made every QB look like a probowler.  If most QBs throw for 350 yards a game against you all season, why would that suddenly change in the superbowl?  Of course, it wasn't realistic to expect the offense to be able to score 30 as they did during the year, but generally good Ds shut down good Os and the Giant's D really came together at the end of the year. 
    Posted by Bustchise[/QUOTE]
    We probably had no business being in the super bowl to begin with, with that defense. Even so, we had them at 17-9 early in the second half, but the TEAM failed to put them away.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.