Smoke Screen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

Smoke Screen?

Peter King writes the Pats are using Darius Butler as a Smoke screen! "WHAT" I wrote Earlier that Butler would fit perfectly into the Patriots Scheme. Uconn runs a Pro Style Defense. Butler has great Athleticism, Great Hips, Very Fluid, Change of Direction, and Great Ball Skills. Butler and Either English or Barwin at #34 would be Great. Who would Belichick be smoke screening for? Any Ideas

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: Smoke Screen?

[QUOTE]Peter King writes the Pats are using Darius Butler as a Smoke screen! "WHAT" I wrote Earlier that Butler would fit perfectly into the Patriots Scheme. Uconn runs a Pro Style Defense. Butler has great Athleticism, Great Hips, Very Fluid, Change of Direction, and Great Ball Skills. Butler and Either English or Barwin at #34 would be Great. Who would Belichick be smoke screening for? Any Ideas
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

pick any of the top 30 and there's your answer, who knows but I'm sure it will be the best for the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

I hope the Pats are not smoke-screening by letting on that they like Darius Butler... Smile
    The pats don't need another smurf CB (great hips, very fluid, change of direction, blah..). Didn't they draft last year Wheatley (5"9) and Wilhite (5"11) who fit that mold?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

They like the smaller corners so no matter how much people b*tch about how small our CBs are you should know by now that we like our CBs small. I am not saying wewotn take Buttler I am just saying.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Of course it's a smoke screen. Stop trying to clear it away!! How else are we going to get the one of those mid-first round suckers to take Butler before our selection?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

so I take it Kyle doesnt think this kid is a first round CB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

MVPkilla, of course he's a first round pick ... that the Pats willl take at 23 unless he's gone earlier. Wink

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The problem with calling it a smoke screen, and such interest seems that way coming from NE, is that Peter King would have to sketch out who is more valuable that will be there at #23.

The odds that Butler is there are extremely high. It fits an immediate and long term need -- especially next season. And at the same time imagining that Butler makes it out of the first is imagining a long shot to say the least.

I would ask Peter King, and most people that think they are smokescreening, to present a better option. I can think of a few, but only players that would need to drop past, or in a few cases, *well* past where they are supposed to come off the board.

Furthermore, the notion that teams use workouts to "smokescreen" is half-ridiculous. They may not like a player that they work out, and they may even express interest through back channels after the fact to develop a ruse. But if they bring in a player to work it, it is to look at the player and nothing else.

If there is anything to the interest that is ungenuinune it would be to cultivate a market around #23 to move up, or down, or out in exchange for greater value, and at the expense of a very good cornerback, who would solve the issue of two free agents entering next season, AND possibly present the Patriots with the deal of the century considering *mediocre* veteran corners are getting $8-9 million dollar deals, and at the rough $10 million over five arranged for the last two #23 selections, a two million dollar star corner, could be serious savings, letting the team invest money elsewhere.

Butler has made sense at #23 more than most players for a very long time. So I hope King is shocked if they pick him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Do you guys think Sean Smith is a big drop from Butler?  I personally don't think so I actually think he'll be a better CB than Butler at the next leave. Sean Smith's has really not been talked about as of late.   The guy is 6'3" 210lbs and ran a 4.47 at the combine and a 4.43 on his pro-day (Butler 5'11 183lb 4.41).  All the talk about Butler could very well be a smoke screen to get Smith who can also play S.  He I believe can do more than Butler in his first year as a Patriots.

I think I just convinced my self lol that Sean Smith might be the 34th pick if OLB is picked at 23.  Here's a good article on this kid

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/139081-smiths-pro-day-performance-cements-first-day-bid

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

z, i'm thinking they're targetting Vontae Davis or Sean Smith at 34. Creating that hype may move both of them further down the board.

Of course they're also taking Darrius Butler at 23. Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Alphonso Smith could also be a option at #34 if they dont take a CB in round 1.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://nfldraftu.net/rankings/cb.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I think the Patriots have changed there position onthe smaller CB's hence Springs/Bodden ++ 6 feet who may very well start... If Darious is on the rise and Stafford Falls than more Takles and DE/OLBs will fall off up front and teams will want to jump around to take a stab at Sanchez and Stafford which leads me to beleive that plays like Vonte Davis, BJ Raji, Beaney Wells and Moreno will fall back...

i like the prospects of us picking Wells or Moreno with the first pick and cutting bate with Watson and Maroney

The great thing is Taylor seams to perform best in tandum with a young buck
    the smoke screen is that we are going offense with 23

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

"Butler has great Athleticism, Great Hips, Very Fluid, Change of Direction, and Great Ball Skills."

Reading this makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

BB has 'em all guessing and we aren't even close to day one of the draft!!Wait until Friday when there will be so many rumors you'll think that everyone from Peppers to Ocho Cinco is on the way to Foxboro!!! As far as drafting goes just look at his history and you'll see that his best picks have been Defensive linemen.So if he took a D-line guy I wouldn't be shocked.If he traded out of the first round I wouldn't be shocked..I guess you all get my drift nothing that BB does will shock me,unless he drafts a QB in the first round.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Anyone who thinks we are going to cut Maroney or Watson is not really thinking about it. Watson and Maroney are both still playing off their rookie contracts which makes them extremely cheap so both of them will most likely be on the roster this season. If either one of them gets cut it will be watson way before its maroney. Maroney will most likely be given this season as a last chance to earn his spot. If he cant beat out Taylor or Morris then he will be on the roster this season and will be allowed to hit the open market next year but he wont be cut, it would cost more money to cut him now then it would to just keep him on the roster thats how cheap he is this season. And if he has a big season and breaks 1000 yards we will be getting great value for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Yeah. Maroney still has at least one more year to prove himself. If they cut him, we'd lose half our remaining cap space. Watson is a possible player to be traded, but he won't be cut.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

agreed

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It would take a tremendous back to get much more than a flirt with 1000 here. Someone who is good enough to make the coaches think they are losing something by not trading carries.

For Maroney to get 1000 next season he will truly have to earn his carries. I think he is capable, depsite the protests here. He has never had a YPC average beneath four, and that really is the mark.

I still would like Ne to draft a compliment back, either a big bruiser who is a down hill type, or a slasher who can (hopefully) learn to fill Faulk's shoes as a spread package expert -- blocking, catching, draw. But the time for that pick is likely late in the draft.

Barring anymore injuries I think we could safely pencil Maroney in for 600-800 yards next season, with Taylor getting the other 600-800, and Faulk filling out his role. All in all, I don't feel super comfortable because we are talking about two older backs and one very injury prone (unlucky) running back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Additionally, watching this draft shows that there really isn't a "home run" back after Wells, and he has his own issues with injuries and hands and desire (if you listen to some scouts).

The best Ne could really get out of this draft is another Lawrence Maroney: a solid back who isn't really the kind of dominant runner who will force the other team to bring a safety up.

I think a good way to go about it would be to try and lock on with a RB that is less polished and attempt to bring him along, rather than stabbing at one of the few guys in a shallow talent pool up top.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Moreno and Brown, but I question whether either would really be the type of difference maker I alluded to in the post above.

After Butler, unless there is a solid drop like Tyson Jackson I can't find too many other options who fit better as a defender here. Opening up the discussion to offensive tackles make things more interesting, but I am not sure NE wants to grab any tackles that high.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I would love to get a tackle high in the draft. but your right thats not really their MO but then again there MO is to always do something no one sees coming so who knows.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

At some point interest has to be genuine. It's all well and good to say "This is a smokescreen," or "That is a smokescreen."  Belichick has shown himself to be a master of misdirection in the draft, so now pundits are trying to second-guess the chicanery. Remember this: A red herring doesn't necessarily have to be a false lead, so long as it gets your opponent thinking too much. Peter King has no more idea what Belichick might do than you or I. If he gets this right, he'll tell you all about it. If he gets it wrong, it goes in the discard file and you'll never hear about it again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Thats kind of the point though, you cant hodl it against King for not knowing what Belichick will do. No one knows what he will do but they all get paid to make a guess so he made his guess nothing wrong with that. We all guess everyday so cant King and others? if they are wrong then they are yet another victum of Belichicks smokescreening lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Oh, I don't hold it against Peter King or anyone else who draws a paycheck analyzing pro sports to try to predict the unpredictable. What bothers me is pundits who claim superior knowledge because they make "X" number of outlandish guesses anb "Y" number of them turn out to be correct. Perhaps you've heard of Nostradamus -- in the long ago and far away, this guy wrote thousands of quatrains purporting to foretell the future. He wrote so many and they are written in such cryptic, metaphorical language that they could potentially mean anything. So every once in a while, some hack will make several wild leaps of logic and claim that Nostradamus predicted Adolph Hitler or the Kennedy assaination or the moon landing or Kellogs Frosted Flakes and is an uncanny seer with obvious supernatural powers. This is hokum, of course. But you can always find enough rubes in the bullrushes to sell your story to and cash your paycheck. There are guys who annoy me a lot more than Peter King, but the bottom line is that King saying Belichick may  be laying down a smokescreen is like me saying that there is a remote possiblity that all those wonderful things your favorite politician told you in order to rope your vote in November might .  .  .  just maybe .  .  .   turn out to be something less than gospel once the election is over. It's easy money. And hey, if your representative turns out to be the only politician in the history of ever who actually told the truth, you'll be so amazed by that that you'll forget all about my crazy assertion that he was full of sh*t.

But this has gone on too long and I forgot what point I was trying to make.

I'm gonna stop now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

is this the same PETER KING who kept saying the patriots could not go undefeated 2 years ago after the 5TH  game? EVERY GAME AFTER THE 5TH HE HAD THEM LOSEING !!  HE WAS BREATHING A SIGH OF RELIEF AFTER THE SUPER BOWL.......  NICE CALL PETER.. he has no credability with me