Sniping at Talib

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Sniping at Talib

In response to nomadfan's comment:

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-england-patriots/patriots-talk/Source-Pats-concerned-how-Talib-would-re?blockID=829165&feedID=3352

Bleacherreport sourced that article, and added:

" This is not new; there were reports of concerns with his work ethic from the very day the Patriots traded for him. It appears that he didn't do as much as the team liked in eliminating those concerns. If Talib is okay with coming back on a one-year deal, Giardi thinks that's something the Patriots would be comfortable with, as well. 

There are several other issues to keep in mind, though.

As I discussed here last week Talib has a history of injuries including ailments to his hip and hamstring throughout his career. Those aren't the freak accident type injuries of, say, Aaron Hernandez's high ankle sprain and Rob Gronkowski's broken forearm. Injuries such as Talib's are more reflective of a legitimate durability issue."   The likely asking price in the multi-year contract he seeks will make it difficult to fit Welker, Vollmer and Talib  and other free agents all under the available cap space.

re: "ailments to his hip and hamstring .......a durability issue"

they are not durability issues nearly as much as flexibility, conditioning (these 2 mostly), and good chiropractic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Talib may want a big long term payday but he won't get one from any team. Way to many red flags and his time on the Pats didn't put a single one to bed. There still the specta of him getting suspended for half a season due to drugs or a couple games due to off field concerns. Also as mentioned his injury history have prevented him from going an entire season before. I think most teams would like him but I think most are looking for prove it contracts. If I was the Pats I'd offer a 2 year deal with most of the money being in 14' when the cap expands. There is no reason why resigning him can or should impact resigning Welker or Vollmer and vice versa. We are 1 year out from expanding the cap you could easily fit all three in without barely impacting the cap this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I'm afraid Talib and Welker aren't in the mix for next year. Or they shouldn't be. Both need to be around the 5-6 mil range to be viable and are not likely to come that cheap.

Again, the poor drafting comes back to haunt us over and over again.

Yeah, Dennard stinks.  Terrible pick.

LOL, amazing how quick you are to call a pick good.  Of course your the same guy saying McCourty was better then Revis after his rookie year.  Now he is stuck at safety, where he is ok at best.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Don't be naive, Talib is the best cornerback to put on a Patriots uniform since Ty Law!  Edelman will do quite nicely as a slot receiver and as a replacement for Welker.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm afraid Talib and Welker aren't in the mix for next year. Or they shouldn't be. Both need to be around the 5-6 mil range to be viable and are not likely to come that cheap.

Saying Talib is deserving the same money as Welker is flat out insane!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Saying Talib is deserving the same money as Welker is flat out insane!

Whether one wants to admit or not, Talib is the best corner on the Pats. Even if they sign him, which they probably will, they still need another good size corner that can make plays. Even if a Dennard type corner can stop a Welker type or slow him down that corner is still limited to little guys.

Anquan Bolden, Torrey Smith, Vincent jackson and many other present day receivers are much too big for 5'8" to 5-10" guys  . There is another possibility and that is the Pats come up with a "fast linebacker" which they probably need anyways.

I bet the Pats are softening up Talib hoping that he'll spring for a 2 year contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:

I bet the Pats are softening up Talib hoping that he'll spring for a 2 year contract.

You think the anonymous leaks are designed to soften Talib up, so that the Pats can gain an upperhand in negotiation? Those kind of tactics never work, and may really tick him and other players on the team off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Talib is good and has been his whole career, his problem is that he can't stay on the field. He isn't ras dowling who cant make it through more than a couple games but hes going to get hurt  and miss time. Dennard was a very good pick imo, they need to find someone else back there even if they sign talib. McCourty is very good at safety. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Talib is good and has been his whole career, his problem is that he can't stay on the field. He isn't ras dowling who cant make it through more than a couple games but hes going to get hurt  and miss time. Dennard was a very good pick imo, they need to find someone else back there even if they sign talib. McCourty is very good at safety. 

You are correct.  But I will add something more.  Where was Talib when the Pats needed him most?  He was sitting on the sideline hurt.  This guy needs to prove himself before a good sized contract is offered to him.  And by prove himself I mean show that he can stay on the field for the majority of the season.  He does this team and defense no good if he is sitting on the bench hurt when they could have used his money to get someone who can stay on the field and play good D.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

You are correct.  But I will add something more.  Where was Talib when the Pats needed him most?  He was sitting on the sideline hurt.  

No different from Gronk. 

Sections
Shortcuts