SNOW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: SNOW

LOL!

Happen to stop into any of the breweries?

[/QUOTE]

No. Crying out loud.

Didn't stop at any breweries. I was only there a couple of days checking on the possibility of work.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to antibody's comment:

LOL!

No. Crying out loud.

Didn't stop at any breweries. I was only there a couple of days checking on the possibility of work.

Yeah, it is infamously known for no jobs there.  It is a lot of old money and a tourist destination, so it is a lot of resort kind of jobs.  Hotels, bars and restaurants.   It  is an arty/hippie place otherwise.

It's that arty/hippy thing that just might get me a little work, at least some of the year. I work in entertainment. There are a number of theaters there so there might be a few possibilities. Who knows?

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Winter has some advantages. No bugs. No motorcycles. No sweltering heat.

Good call babe.  Not tired of it yet, as long as we don't get any ice storm, it's cool.  Plus, can make some extra bank too....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

LOL!

No. Crying out loud.

Yeah, it is infamously known for no jobs there.  It is a lot of old money and a tourist destination, so it is a lot of resort kind of jobs.  Hotels, bars and restaurants.   It  is an arty/hippie place otherwise.

It's that arty/hippy thing that just might get me a little work, at least some of the year. I work in entertainment. There are a number of theaters there so there might be a few possibilities. Who knows?

Oh, ok.  What kind of stuff? Just curious.  Thomas Wolfe and the Orange Peel are pretty famous music venues. The former is the larger, standard theather in town there.  The Peel is more of a club.  The Biltmore has spring, summer and fall shows outdoors. 

If I could help, I would. I don't really know anyone with a direct line into that market, unfortunately.

Production. Back stage. I'm a member of the international union (which some here will undoubtedly hate me for) so that's how I get most of my work. Like most places they have a corps of locals but frequently use people from out of town when times are busy. Hope to be able to help out some next summer. Anything beats un-employment in Florida.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Haha, all the Pom Pom pushers....lol. Too funny.....I think I see Gresh in there....oh there's Zo...the tall dude...lol

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

Winter has some advantages. No bugs. No motorcycles. No sweltering heat.

Good call babe.  Not tired of it yet, as long as we don't get any ice storm, it's cool.  Plus, can make some extra bank too....

Yeah, I have a plow and a snowblower, so snow is no big deal.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:

Anyone tired of it? I live in Maine so snow is commonplace but enough is enough! We're getting another foot or two tonight.

I do feel bad for you southerners because you don't have the equipment to deal with it like us northerners. Something I don't hear talked about is tires. Good tread on your tires is the trick to getting around. Nothing works on icy roads, though.

Anyone have any horror stories?

My wife and I have lived in south florida for the last 14 years, we just moved back up to MA for a year to experience the winter and enjoy skiing etc... I haven't been on the mountain once, Im freezing cold everywhere I go, and just LOVE how it gets dark at 4 oclock every day!?!?

The bugs and the heat are a very acceptable part of living in the most beautiful state in the country.  Ocean, beach, palm trees, restaurants,  pubs, swimming pools, air conditioning. 75 to 80 degrees during winter as it gets cold at night(50 degrees!!!) I do miss parts of New England where I grew up, but South Florida really is Paradise.

Motorcycles??? Babe must have once seen Bill Belichick riding a harley or something?

You moved up here to enjoy the winter and do some skiing, yet you think it's too cold and haven't gone skiing? Why would you do that?

If you want to ski you'd better hurry, I hear the last snow storm dumped some quality snow up north.

This last storm did me in...I've had it...I can't take anymore. I had to snow blow twice during that last storm - went to work the next day - and when I got home there was an inch of ice on my driveway and walkways...still can't get it off. Now it looks like there is going to be another 3-8 inches dumped on top of that mess...I'm done. I'm seriously going to start looking at places in Florida for retirement, because I'm not staying around here during the winter when that happens. Retirement is a long way off, but I hear the real estate market really took a nose dive down there over the last 7 years (it probably has come back a little, but the prices are still low).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

http://media.thedailytouch.com/2013/10/smeagol-precious-meme-generator-we-wants-it-we-needs-it-must-have-the-precious-fb71eb1.jpg

In response to mthurl's comment:

This last storm did me in...I've had it...I can't take anymore. I had to snow blow twice during that last storm - went to work the next day - and when I got home there was an inch of ice on my driveway and walkways...still can't get it off. Now it looks like there is going to be another 3-8 inches dumped on top of that mess...I'm done. I'm seriously going to start looking at places in Florida for retirement, because I'm not staying around here during the winter when that happens. Retirement is a long way off, but I hear the real estate market really took a nose dive down there over the last 7 years (it probably has come back a little, but the prices are still low).

LOL

HUrlie unglued.  Get yourself a trailer in Jacksonville. You'll love it. bawhah

Double wide? I'm in! Get myself a wheel barrel or something for the front landscaping display...I'll have to marry my sister of course and I'll have to start drinking Natural Lite. This is doable.

LOL!

No. Crying out loud.

Oh, ok.  What kind of stuff? Just curious.  Thomas Wolfe and the Orange Peel are pretty famous music venues. The former is the larger, standard theather in town there.  The Peel is more of a club.  The Biltmore has spring, summer and fall shows outdoors. 

If I could help, I would. I don't really know anyone with a direct line into that market, unfortunately.

Production. Back stage. I'm a member of the international union (which some here will undoubtedly hate me for) so that' how I get most of my work. Like most places they have a corps of locals but frequently use people from out of town when times are busy. Hope to be able to help out some next summer. Anything beats un-employment in Florida.

You should try the RTP area here, too. Huge, exploding scene here with new venues built left and right.   This is the fastest growing state in the country right now. Not sure if you through the union or can go directly on your own to find work.

By RTP do you mean the Raleigh area? I might do that on my way north this summer. I wanted to check out Wilmington last fall but ran out of time. I'm not restricted, I just need to pay assessments to my local if I work in certain types of venues.

•  

In response to mthurl's comment:

The real estate market is still depressed in SW Fl. It's one reason I want out. I was a land surveyor for many years and now you can't buy a job doing that anymore .

Lots of forclosed property available here.

Good luck.

Double wide? I'm in! Get myself a wheel barrel or something for the front landscaping display...I'll have to marry my sister of course and I'll have to start drinking Natural Lite. This is doable.

[/QUOTE]

Natural Lite?Tongue Out No way in hell I can do that. As for my sister... she despises me so marraige is out of the question.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

LOL!

No. Crying out loud.

Production. Back stage. I'm a member of the international union (which some here will undoubtedly hate me for) so that's how I get most of my work. Like most places they have a corps of locals but frequently use people from out of town when times are busy. Hope to be able to help out some next summer. Anything beats un-employment in Florida.

I worked in Charlotte for a little while a few years ago.  People there were calling me a "half back"   That is a person from the North who moves to Florida then moves to the Carolinas.

I'm working in Connecticut (near NYC) right now.  I'm missing Florida big time.  I am over this snow.

•  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Ha! I should have started a thread on motorcycles instead. I haven't been on a bike since I went off the road into a ditch due to inexperience but I don't have anything against them. I don't understand the need for some of them to be so loud though.

Ha! Ha! Like I'm always told: "Loud pipes save lives."

They are making real electric bikes these days.  No noise.  But the lady in the SUV doesn't know you're there.

[/QUOTE]

You could technically do both and you could avoid 95 a bit, too, by detouring NW to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill.  Yeah, RTP is the business sector (Research Triangle Park).

Wilmington obviously still has a big movie presence, although the state which has turned moronic lately with right wing nut job leadership, has made it more difficult/not given the tax breaks they used to the movie industry.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/09/01/north-carolina-looks-to-scale-back-on-their-film-tax-credits-hollywood-doth-protest/

I have a buddy who works on movie sets as an account of sorts I guess (he does expenses for the people on the movie), so he takes extended gigs where and when he wants.   He and his wife just pick up and go wherever it is. Sometimes it's middle of nowhere Pennsylvania or it can be a cool spot like Rio or Chicago.  But, I really don't know anyone in production or in the unions.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. The work is out there I just have to get to it. Working hard at becoming the gypsy wanderer I believe I was born to be.

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Ha! I should have started a thread on motorcycles instead. I haven't been on a bike since I went off the road into a ditch due to inexperience but I don't have anything against them. I don't understand the need for some of them to be so loud though.

Ha! Ha! Like I'm always told: "Loud pipes save lives."

They are making real electric bikes these days.  No noise.  But the lady in the SUV doesn't know you're there.

More than half the people in SUVs here don't know where they are.

• Sections
    Shortcuts