SNOW

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Re: SNOW

More than half the people in SUVs here don't know where they are.

[/QUOTE]

This is true.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is true.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, ... did I mention I drive an SUV?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]
    My wife and I have lived in south florida for the last 14 years, we just moved back up to MA for a year to experience the winter and enjoy skiing etc... I haven't been on the mountain once, Im freezing cold everywhere I go, and just LOVE how it gets dark at 4 oclock every day!?!?

The bugs and the heat are a very acceptable part of living in the most beautiful state in the country.  Ocean, beach, palm trees, restaurants,  pubs, swimming pools, air conditioning. 75 to 80 degrees during winter as it gets cold at night(50 degrees!!!) I do miss parts of New England where I grew up, but South Florida really is Paradise.

Motorcycles??? Babe must have once seen Bill Belichick riding a harley or something?

[/QUOTE]

The Great White North is not for everyone and I'm glad. The population is sparse because of it. I've been to Florida a few times (spring break in Ft. Lauderdale, Walt Disney World) and it is a nice place to visit. I think Maine is the most beautiful state in the country but I might be biased. I take it you've learned your lesson?

[/QUOTE]

No . . . it's right up near the top. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This last storm did me in...I've had it...I can't take anymore. I had to snow blow twice during that last storm - went to work the next day - and when I got home there was an inch of ice on my driveway and walkways...still can't get it off. Now it looks like there is going to be another 3-8 inches dumped on top of that mess...I'm done. I'm seriously going to start looking at places in Florida for retirement, because I'm not staying around here during the winter when that happens. Retirement is a long way off, but I hear the real estate market really took a nose dive down there over the last 7 years (it probably has come back a little, but the prices are still low).

[/QUOTE]

I have a brother and a sister that have houses both northerly and in FLA, so they have the best of both worlds. (Actually the bro has his north house in the mountains of NC, sister's is here.)

FLA has a ton of cheap real estate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from texcanuck. Show texcanuck's posts

[QUOTE]

Anyone tired of it? I live in Maine so snow is commonplace but enough is enough! We're getting another foot or two tonight.

I do feel bad for you southerners because you don't have the equipment to deal with it like us northerners. Something I don't hear talked about is tires. Good tread on your tires is the trick to getting around. Nothing works on icy roads, though.

Anyone have any horror stories?

[/QUOTE]

From Portland Maine.  Moved to Texas years ago. Haven't shoveled snow in a long while.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

Good thread.... I am taking notes from you folks.

I moved from Boston to No. Virginia [Reston] in 2005. I have been down to Miami and Raliegh few times on business over the years. My in-laws are in Greensboro and I am down there quite a bit as well. I love Miami and So Beach and would love to have a retirement home down there someday. Raliegh is great too. I do like the DC area because the winters normally aren't as bad as Boston [this has been the worst one].

However, I will say I am up in Boston a few times a year to visit family and really miss Boston and NE more and more as each year pases. 

Good luck to all getting through this winter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Last summer even the NorthEast had unbearable humidity/heat for a solid month.  

I know you don't have to shovel that stuff but it kept me indoors too often.

Even though I love the NE, high humidity (more that heat) is really unpleasant.  What good is it to be in FLA if you have to stay indoors with your A/C cranked?

I've traveled the US quite a bit and strictly from a climate standpoint I prefer west of the Rockies, with the Pacific Northwest #1.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Anyone tired of it? I live in Maine so snow is commonplace but enough is enough! We're getting another foot or two tonight.

I do feel bad for you southerners because you don't have the equipment to deal with it like us northerners. Something I don't hear talked about is tires. Good tread on your tires is the trick to getting around. Nothing works on icy roads, though.

My wife and I have lived in south florida for the last 14 years, we just moved back up to MA for a year to experience the winter and enjoy skiing etc... I haven't been on the mountain once, Im freezing cold everywhere I go, and just LOVE how it gets dark at 4 oclock every day!?!?

The bugs and the heat are a very acceptable part of living in the most beautiful state in the country.  Ocean, beach, palm trees, restaurants,  pubs, swimming pools, air conditioning. 75 to 80 degrees during winter as it gets cold at night(50 degrees!!!) I do miss parts of New England where I grew up, but South Florida really is Paradise.

Motorcycles??? Babe must have once seen Bill Belichick riding a harley or something?

[/QUOTE]

You moved up here to enjoy the winter and do some skiing, yet you think it's too cold and haven't gone skiing? Why would you do that?

If you want to ski you'd better hurry, I hear the last snow storm dumped some quality snow up north.

[/QUOTE]

My wife grew up in Miami, she has been skiing a lot the past few months but I keep making excuses. Im actually going tomorrow for the 1st time. I guess it hasn't appealed to me as much as when I was younger. Ive been doing a lot of snow shoeing through! We've got a couple feet the last few days in western MA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I mean, it's nice and everything, but it's also weird. It's just not for me.  It's like Golden Girls on acid mixed with Bevery Hills.

Put me in the mountains in Asheville, NC, thanks.

And if I wanted the beach experience, I'd go to the outer banks in NC or even Nantucket or something like that.

Disneyworld is a fun place to visit, but I can't think of once city or area I would genuinely want to live in down there.  Maybe 30+ year ago before it got all over-populated.

Jax, TB, Orlando (unless Disney), Pensacola, Fort Myers, they're all meh.  Strip malls and chain restaurants. No thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Very good tourist point of view.

How much time have you spent in South Florida, meaning Homestead to Stuart?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofdayshogwash. Show endofdayshogwash's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I mean, it's nice and everything, but it's also weird. It's just not for me.  It's like Golden Girls on acid mixed with Bevery Hills.

Put me in the mountains in Asheville, NC, thanks.

And if I wanted the beach experience, I'd go to the outer banks in NC or even Nantucket or something like that.

Disneyworld is a fun place to visit, but I can't think of once city or area I would genuinely want to live in down there.  Maybe 30+ year ago before it got all over-populated.

Jax, TB, Orlando (unless Disney), Pensacola, Fort Myers, they're all meh.  Strip malls and chain restaurants. No thanks.

[/QUOTE]

Very good tourist point of view.

How much time have you spent in South Florida, meaning Homestead to Stuart?

[/QUOTE]

Who wants to go to Sotuh Florida...Aside from retirees from New York and the rest of the Northeast it's full of maggotty people...YECHHHHHH!!!..I hated every day there...will never go back...Miami is a sick pit

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Great White North is not for everyone and I'm glad. The population is sparse because of it. I've been to Florida a few times (spring break in Ft. Lauderdale, Walt Disney World) and it is a nice place to visit. I think Maine is the most beautiful state in the country but I might be biased. I take it you've learned your lesson?

[/QUOTE]

I have, I see it the opposite, the north east is a great place to visit. Summers are very nice but it was also pretty muggy up here in July. I can't explain the convenience of waking up walking onto a balcony in shorts amd sandals having coffee as the ocean breeze hits you. I guess I should add that if you live in Florida, you need to live as close to the intercoastal/ocean as possible. Living in cities like Miami and Ft Lauderdale too far in from the coast isn't worth it. You experience the bad parts like traffic, rude people etc... but key west, south beach, palm beach, Vero Beach, sannibel island key biscayne and many others are just awesome!

[/QUOTE]

Key West is completely different than mainland FLorida.  If I had an opportunity to work from Key West, sure.

YOu're talking about a very small portion of the entire state.  COngrats to you being able to retire down there in one of the better spots.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely not retired but yeah you can only live in certain spots of Florida but there are a lot of them. South Florida is unique in that the necest area will have one of the worst areas right next to it. Coconut Grove is an example.

Anyway, I really mesnt in terms of weather and ocean/beach. I really like the mountains up in the north east and also just spent sometime in Colorado and Northern Cali...amazing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is true.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    But you're in the other half.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to mellymel1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I usually walk everyday, long walks throughout Allston, Brighton, Downtown Boston and Brookline where I live...can't do it when there's this much new snow and ice everywhere...it sucks...I have had enough of this already.....right now I can't even see the Boston skyline out my window because of the snow still falling...it's depressing!

Can't wait for spring...when I was a kid I used to think "Why would anyone NOT want to live in NE all year round...you get all four seasons". Now I understand why old timers want to move down south for the winter...this is like having someone drop a leaking battery on your sack!

[/QUOTE]

How long is the worst part of winter? Two, at most three months? The oppressive heat and humidity in South Florida begins in April and doesn't quit until, if you're lucky, late Oct. If unlucky, end of Nov. or into Dec. Not talking about the stuff you experience in NE. I was up there last summer and it was blessed relief compared to what's here. You can wish for a change but it just aint coming. Talk about depressing. I'd happily trade that for a few months of so called winter gloom.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is true.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    But you're in the other half.

[/QUOTE]

LOL... not necessarilly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I usually walk everyday, long walks throughout Allston, Brighton, Downtown Boston and Brookline where I live...can't do it when there's this much new snow and ice everywhere...it sucks...I have had enough of this already.....right now I can't even see the Boston skyline out my window because of the snow still falling...it's depressing!

Can't wait for spring...when I was a kid I used to think "Why would anyone NOT want to live in NE all year round...you get all four seasons". Now I understand why old timers want to move down south for the winter...this is like having someone drop a leaking battery on your sack!

[/QUOTE]

How long is the worst part of winter? Two, at most three months? The oppressive heat and humidity in South Florida begins in April and doesn't quit until, if you're lucky, late Oct. If unlucky, end of Nov. or into Dec. Not talking about the stuff you experience in NE. I was up there last summer and it was blessed relief compared to what's here. You can wish for a change but it just aint coming. Talk about depressing. I'd happily trade that for a few months of so called winter gloom.

[/QUOTE]

I detest humid/hot weather myself...to thick blooded...have to have AC...but this cold and wet winter has been a DRAIN ON THE BRAIN...ready for some springtime and leaves on the trees again!

Dude in FLA. case found guilty of 2nd degree murder!

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Too much of any one thing will wear on you. But it seems not everyone thinks so. I know people here who never want to see temps lower than 80 and love the humidity. Like I said in an earlier post- to each their own.

That verdict is going to upset a lot of gun owners here.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Here we go again!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I wouldn't blame anybody who wanted to leave Florida.  I'm tired of catching Snook, Redfish, Trout and Cobia.  Never mind all those Kingfish.

If I were you I would never back my boat down the ramp again.  Did I mention Kingfish?

Sure there are plenty of Spring Traning parks all over the place but they are too crowded.  More people are leaving.

I'm tired of Sailfish, Wahoo and big slammer Dorado as well.  Did I mention Kingfish?

There are too many golf courses and you can't always get a tee time.  People are just over it.  

Island hopping from Sanibel to Boca Grande and pulling a boat up to a couple of miles of empty beach on North Captiva is not for everyone.

Speaking of Boca Grande; that pass is just too full of 150 pound Tarpon.  I wouldn't fish there if I were you.  Just stay out of Charolotte Harbor altogether.  Did I mention the Kingfish?

Florida could use decent college football program too.  Not much in the way of sports in Florida.

Tired of Grouper, Snapper, Tuna and Amberjack.  And the scuba diving is overrated too.  The underwater national park is too crowded. Nobody goes there any more.  

Sailing? Sure, but with no offseason when do I put a new coat of bottom paint on the boat?

Sure all those tourist places give every thing away when the tourist leave but how often can you go out?

If you are a visitor, stay around the theme parks in the middle of the state.  They ah...get a nice sea breeze.

What ever you do, don't go kingfishing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

Winter has some advantages. No bugs. No motorcycles. No sweltering heat.

[/QUOTE]

Good call on the bugs and heat but what do you have against motorcycles?

[/QUOTE]

Dangerous, loud and annoying. I would ban them from the roads.

[/QUOTE]

and here to stay.....(thumbing my nose at you)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Amen. I live 20 miles north of banger or bangor as we know it and its snowing like crazy right now. Long live the studmill road. No east west highway!!! 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Interesting thread!  I've never been to Maine, but I have heard that it is an amazing state.  Granted I live here, but I think that the state of Washington is as scenic and beautiful as anywhere in the country.  Love it here and wouldn't trade it.  I have a place on Lake Coeur d' Alene in North Idaho and that is an amazing area as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]

I wouldn't blame anybody who wanted to leave Florida.  I'm tired of catching Snook, Redfish, Trout and Cobia.  Never mind all those Kingfish.

If I were you I would never back my boat down the ramp again.  Did I mention Kingfish?

Sure there are plenty of Spring Traning parks all over the place but they are too crowded.  More people are leaving.

I'm tired of Sailfish, Wahoo and big slammer Dorado as well.  Did I mention Kingfish?

There are too many golf courses and you can't always get a tee time.  People are just over it.  

Island hopping from Sanibel to Boca Grande and pulling a boat up to a couple of miles of empty beach on North Captiva is not for everyone.

Speaking of Boca Grande; that pass is just too full of 150 pound Tarpon.  I wouldn't fish there if I were you.  Just stay out of Charolotte Harbor altogether.  Did I mention the Kingfish?

Florida could use decent college football program too.  Not much in the way of sports in Florida.

Tired of Grouper, Snapper, Tuna and Amberjack.  And the scuba diving is overrated too.  The underwater national park is too crowded. Nobody goes there any more.  

Sailing? Sure, but with no offseason when do I put a new coat of bottom paint on the boat?

Sure all those tourist places give every thing away when the tourist leave but how often can you go out?

If you are a visitor, stay around the theme parks in the middle of the state.  They ah...get a nice sea breeze.

What ever you do, don't go kingfishing.

[/QUOTE]

Point well taken. If this is you're life I'm happy for you and happy that you're happy with it. I've enjoyed many of the things you mention (I'll shove aside that snook aside and go for the redfish every time) but it's become all too infrequent these days in lieu of making a living. If you weren't fortunate enough to have some money put aside before you got here it can be a bit of a struggle at times. If you are dependent on working here it's pretty much subsistance living. I'm not crying here, but it's the truth, the simple reality of the place. I know many good hard working people here who are having a difficult time maintaining, through little or no fault of their own. I'm one of them. Again, not crying, but that's how it is. I absolutely hate hearing this place called "paradise." Let's face it, if your basic needs are seen to and you don't have to worry about making the bills, you could call any place paradise.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a socialist and this isn't a complaint. But I meet too many folks like you here, smug in their security and refusing to see that this place isn't a wonderment for everybody. When the tourists of winter go home the hopeful transplant from January is still here in July, worrying how they will feed the family and keep a roof over thier heads when the prospect of better pay won't get here until November and wondering just where the hell is this "paradise" they were told of?