So about that deep ball ....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Re: So about that deep ball ....

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really don't give a rat's a $$ whether Brady throws the best deep ball in the league or the worst.  In my book, he's the best QB of his generation and among the best of all time.  This debate is pointless.  When the defense gives him an opportunity to go over the top and he's got someone open he throws deep; if it's not there he doesn't.  

Last night TB took apart one of the best defenses in the league.  Does it really matter how he did it?

[/QUOTE]

As I've said a hundred times I'll trade his accuracy in the short to mid game for a long game any day. Add in his game management and defense reading skills and forget being a prolific long ball thrower. Anyone think the 49s defensive coaching staff didn't notice that Brady still has the ability to burn them long. It will never be a big part of his game but it doesn't need to be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Brady's passes may be shorter than most,but he's still more effective as a QB.With his short passes,he wears down the opposing defense,kills the clock and keeps the Patriots defense off the field.

This is Brady's record:

40+ yard throws:
    2011: 1-6, 46 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 59.0 rating
    2010: 0-6, 0 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 0.0 rating
    2009: 3-17, 161, 3 TD, 2 INT, 66.5 rating
    2007: 7-17, 366, 5 TD, 0 INT, 128.1 rating

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Of course no mention is given of how other quarterbacks have faired at the deep ball, or more importantly, who their receivers are.  How many deep threats has Brady had in his career?  How did he do the one year he had a deep threat?  Has anyone ever had a better year deep passing?

Don't make me call zbellino.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

How often have Brady's receivers gotten "open" downfield?  Compared to other receivers in the league?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This thread is much ado about nothing.

Brady has missed some open shots down field this year, but it doesn't mean he can hit someone on the deep ball. All that it means is that he's missed a low percentage pass. It happens.

Brady hasn't had the deep threat in recent years as some other teams, but when he's had a deep threat, he's shown he can hit make the throw.

That's what makes him a great quarterback. He's been great with all sorts of receivers, including tight ends and RBs who can cach, of varying strengths and weaknesses.

It's not a coincidence that many of the receivers he's had who have also played elsewhere have had their best years of their career when Brady was throwing to them.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

How often have Brady's receivers gotten "open" downfield?  Compared to other receivers in the league?

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

The "long ball" reference and attributing it to the QB is a crock. It is 90% on the WR.

The Pats do not have any WR's that can simply run past a defender unless you include Slater.

The Pats, other than Lloyd, do not have any WR's that can win a 1 on 1 jump ball, and Lloyds false 4.6 which is really slower with pads, isnt getting down field on speed

The Pats need a great route run, pump fake or play action fake to have a WR open deep. Or they need a defensive break down to get a WR open deep.

Brady needs to hold the ball TWICE the time of what his season average is to allow a down field throw....

When the Pats did throw deep often, Brady only needed to put the ball in play so that the WR had the best shot at making the play. Most of the time, Moss did. (Gronk does as well)

The theory on Brady and the long ball should be the theory of the Pats WR's and the lack of long ball

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How often does the game plan even pay attention to getting receivers open downfield? With the Pats it's more like an opportunity that will be tried if it presents itself but not something they specifically plan to use.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that's not the point. the point is, when brady's receivers ARE "open" down field he has consistently overthrown them the vast majority of the time over the past few seasons.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's because his receivers are too slow? This team hasn't had a lot of good deep receivers since Moss.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bingo!

The "long ball" reference and attributing it to the QB is a crock. It is 90% on the WR.

The Pats do not have any WR's that can simply run past a defender unless you include Slater.

The Pats, other than Lloyd, do not have any WR's that can win a 1 on 1 jump ball, and Lloyds false 4.6 which is really slower with pads, isnt getting down field on speed

The Pats need a great route run, pump fake or play action fake to have a WR open deep. Or they need a defensive break down to get a WR open deep.

Brady needs to hold the ball TWICE the time of what his season average is to allow a down field throw....

When the Pats did throw deep often, Brady only needed to put the ball in play so that the WR had the best shot at making the play. Most of the time, Moss did. (Gronk does as well)

The theory on Brady and the long ball should be the theory of the Pats WR's and the lack of long ball

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.  Case Closed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]

LMAO @ Brady haters denying his deep ball abilities.  Maybe your Tebow will throw a nice deep ball this week!

[/QUOTE]

Mighty, in my view someone doesn't have to be #1 at every single aspect of his job to be #1 overall.  Something I hate about any fan board is that any criticism is taken to the extreme.  For example, I certainly had my doubts about Brady's deep ball ability.  I looked into the stats and realized my concerns are unfounded.  However, he isn't the best deep ball passer by any objective measurement.  As another poster says, who cares?  I saw one stat from past seasons that had Vince Young on top.  We all know how he fared.  My point is that you can believe Brady is the best QB in the NFL and still think he isn't perfect in every aspect of his game.  You can be a loyal fan of the Pats and still recognize that not everything is perfect.  You can believe they are the best team in the NFL and still think there are some flaws.  A couple people here do come across as Brady haters, but you'd have to be a total fool to hate Brady.  I assume that whenever I read any criticism of the Pats or Brady from someone, that it doesn't mean they hate the team or hate Brady or hate BB.  At least I hope that is the case.  One can't be so blind as to not see how good we have it right now.  

That doesn't mean we need to turn this forum into a mass o.rgy of Patriots love.  How would the threads sound?  "Oh, the Pats are great!" "I know, aren't they." "Yeah, I can't think of anything that needs improvement." "I feel the same way guys."  "I love this team and I love all of you too!" "Let's give each other a big virtual group hug." 

Yuk!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Caraway, I would love nothing more than to be able to objectively discuss the Pats with guys like you and zbellino and other fans that love the team and just want to talk football.  Unfortunately this board has the exact opposite of the problem that you describe ... nearly everyone is consistently bashing the Pats in one form or another.  And as far as I can tell Shenanigan and I are the only ones trying to counter this flood of hate by pointing out that this is the best damn football team that has ever graced the earth so all the complaining that we don't have an imaginary team of invincible robots is ridiculous.  Anyway, yes, I know we could imagine a QB that does things better than Brady, but so far God hasn't created one so we should be darn happy with having the best one of all time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ricky12684's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

that's not the point. the point is, when brady's receivers ARE "open" down field he has consistently overthrown them the vast majority of the time over the past few seasons.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's because his receivers are too slow? This team hasn't had a lot of good deep receivers since Moss.  

[/QUOTE]

Clearly, he's so surprised when one of them does get open downfield, he messes up the throw.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Every QB misses receivers deep more often than they hit them.  That's why they call it a low percentage throw.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about this one gang. TB has thrown 29 td passes and just 4 int's this year!!! Better than a 7-to-1 ratio! That's absolutely unheard of! If you are looking for a shocking stat, here it is. This is one stat that really does matter!

[/QUOTE]

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

[QUOTE]

Caraway, I would love nothing more than to be able to objectively discuss the Pats with guys like you and zbellino and other fans that love the team and just want to talk football.  Unfortunately this board has the exact opposite of the problem that you describe ... nearly everyone is consistently bashing the Pats in one form or another.  And as far as I can tell Shenanigan and I are the only ones trying to counter this flood of hate by pointing out that this is the best damn football team that has ever graced the earth so all the complaining that we don't have an imaginary team of invincible robots is ridiculous.  Anyway, yes, I know we could imagine a QB that does things better than Brady, but so far God hasn't created one so we should be darn happy with having the best one of all time.

[/QUOTE]

And add 11 years of consistancy to those facts.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gogogopats. Show gogogopats's posts

Yeah lets judge how good a quaterback is by the deep ball he throws!