SO BRANCH SUCKS NOW ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

SO BRANCH SUCKS NOW ?

Semi-surprised at the disrespect Branch has been gettin' recently .

He may not be setting the stat world on fire but he's been helping to move the chains in other ways like with solid blocking ,  timely medium range catch's  , and the ability to draw the occasional PI .

I understand he doesn't contribute on ST's  - but the Pats are stacked in that regards anyways.

The Patriots run the most complex O in the NFL and having a vet that understands where he's suppose to be is priceless , especially when it opens up the field for others to make plays ( not unlike a defensive end's role in the 3 /4  ).

He may not be getting separation every time , but when he does get open and the ball is delivered - he catches it ... period

( Plenty of name-brand wrs around the NFL can't make the same claim )

It's true Branch is not a burner ... but he never was .

It's also true that he does things the Patriot way  , on and off the field.

Hopefully if roster space is eventually needed and the Pats need to cut him again - they'll work out another verbal agreement to bring him back when the time is right .

In the meantime - I for one appreciate what Branch brings to this team .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: SO BRANCH SUCKS NOW ?

Yeah, he isn't the player that he was in 2004 but he still comes up with some clutch receptions moving the chains and keeping the drive alive. Good to have him out there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:

Semi-surprised at the disrespect Branch has been gettin' recently .

He may not be setting the stat world on fire but he's been helping to move the chains in other ways like with solid blocking ,  timely medium range catch's  , and the ability to draw the occasional PI .

I understand he doesn't contribute on ST's  - but the Pats are stacked in that regards anyways.

The Patriots run the most complex O in the NFL and having a vet that understands where he's suppose to be is priceless , especially when it opens up the field for others to make plays ( not unlike a defensive end's role in the 3 /4  ).

He may not be getting separation every time , but when he does get open and the ball is delivered - he catches it ... period

( Plenty of name-brand wrs around the NFL can't make the same claim )

It's true Branch is not a burner ... but he never was .

It's also true that he does things the Patriot way  , on and off the field.

Hopefully if roster space is eventually needed and the Pats need to cut him again - they'll work out another verbal agreement to bring him back when the time is right .

In the meantime - I for one appreciate what Branch brings to this team .

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Twas ever thus, since he made the money grab.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Branch doesn't suck but he's also the 4th WR on the team and the 6/7th receiving option at this point which makes him expendable if they need to get another player on the team. It's not like in past years where he was at worst the 2nd WR. Honestly I don't care who you are if you don't give anything on ST's and you are that far down the receiving tree then if a need arises requiring the roster spot then you would be on the list of possible players to be let go. Doesn't mean I want him gone as I like what he provides in the running game but he does need to be a player that the coaches have to take a look at letting go, if a roster spot is needed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I think a younger, quicker WR that could actually get separation would be a much better assist to the offense.  A decoy not so much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

All of our players sux, every other team has all the good players, why they don't have better records than us year after year I'll never know...?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's simple, we have Tom Brady and no one else does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont think the point is if he sucks or not. I think the point is that the Pats need a roster spot or two, and with the glut of TE's, and Slaters ability to play WR in a pinch, that Branch as the 4th WR  could be vulnerable.

Surely 3 WR set w/b Wes, Lloyd and Edelman with Hernandez and Slater available as the 4th/5th as needed.

I don't agree with this set up, as I think Shiancoe is a wasted space assuming health for Gronk, Hern, Fells and Huma.

You do have to admit however, Branch's fall off has been astonishing. He really gets no seperation, and will not win many, if any one on one battles with a DB in a jump ball situation. I thought the increase in salary afforded to Salas on the practice squad was very telling with regards to the Pats thoughts on the current crop of WR's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

He does not suck, but he never was a great receiver. He a piece of a two championship teams and for that he will always be an important part of Patriots history.

We need to be realistic about who he was even at his best. His career highs were 78 catches and 998 yards (both in 2005 - his final year with the Pats the first time around). His career high for TDs is 6. He was important to this team and the maybe the Patriots should have kept him for that. On the flipside, Seattle way overpaid him for the production he brought to them.

It is hard when a player who has meant a lot to a team can no longer deliver what he once did. Branch was once a valuable possession guy. A guy you could count on to get open and make a catch when you needed a first down.

I am not sure he is that guy anymore. He might have one or two important catches left in him, but let's not get carried away about who he is or ever was...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

He does not suck, but he never was a great receiver. He a piece of a two championship teams and for that he will always be an important part of Patriots history.

We need to be realistic about who he was even at his best. His career highs were 78 catches and 998 yards (both in 2005 - his final year with the Pats the first time around). His career high for TDs is 6. He was important to this team and the maybe the Patriots should have kept him for that. On the flipside, Seattle way overpaid him for the production he brought to them.

It is hard when a player who has meant a lot to a team can no longer deliver what he once did. Branch was once a valuable possession guy. A guy you could count on to get open and make a catch when you needed a first down.

I am not sure he is that guy anymore. He might have one or two important catches left in him, but let's not get carried away about who he is or ever was...

I thought Branch was a valued piece last year. I thought the common perception was that he "wore down"...

To my eye, this year he is a shell of the player we saw last year.

I was critical of some of Bradys decisions to look Branches way in tight coverage against the Jets, feeling that Branch had zero chance to come up with the catch. I think if they do part ways, Branch is not picked up, and is on speed dial in case if injury down the road.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Honestly, I pretty much forgot he was on the roster until I saw him run a few routes on Sunday. He gets ZERO separation, the only thing good is that the defender gets so close to him that it helps in pass interference calls (which he got Sunday)...plus he knows the offense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No disrespect from me.  I don't care if they use him much or not.  I don't care if he has an impact on many games or not.  The fact that he is a Patriot and available at anytime makes me feel better.  He is a pretty dependable guy for TFB.  Sometimes teams just need these type of players just in case.  Faulk was also this type of player for the Pats.  Sure Branch is close to being finished but I'm glad he is here this season.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

No disrespect from me.  I don't care if they use him much or not.  I don't care if he has an impact on many games or not.  The fact that he is a Patriot and available at anytime makes me feel better.  He is a pretty dependable guy for TFB.  Sometimes teams just need these type of players just in case.  Faulk was also this type of player for the Pats.  Sure Branch is close to being finished but I'm glad he is here this season.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!

But the point is some one needs to go as Shiancoe abd Pryor are coming. Branch is comfortable, but with 53 spots, some comfort may have to be surrended for need

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

i am one who is not on the branch bashing bandwaggon. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I love having Branch on the team.  I think he's still able to find those soft spots in the defenses.  The issue I'm noticing now is that Brady is pretty content to deliver the ball to option 1 or 2...Welker or TE.  He's practically staring those guys down, ignoring the rest.

Branch definitely doesn't have the physical tools he had back in the day, but I think he might be a lot more effective than he's been given a chance to show.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I like Branch, just not in clutch situations. We have too many elite options to go to him in crunch time. Besides that I got no beef with Deion...

Sections
Shortcuts