SO Glad We Passed on Dez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

SO Glad We Passed on Dez

Can you imagine this story just dragging on and on?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/dez-bryants-mom-was-arrested-again-in-2009/

Knowing the family thus far, I know this certainly will not be the first story in the media. Perfect fit in Dallas after all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: SO Glad We Passed on Dez

That certainly would be a distraction we don't need.

But what if you look at it from a different perspective.

If this kid can make it through life with no off the field legal problems (that I know of), then its a testament to his dedication and character.

Imagine what it must have been like growing up for Dez. Nothing but horrific influences in his life.

If the worst he did was show up late for practice, then Dez has a chance to become an upstanding NFL citizen.

I was hoping that the Pats would take a chance on this kid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

he also got injured the other day and had a lot of medical attention as reported on espn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: SO Glad We Passed on Dez:
    That certainly would be a distraction we don't need. But what if you look at it from a different perspective. If this kid can make it through life with no off the field legal problems (that I know of), then its a testament to his dedication and character. Imagine what it must have been like growing up for Dez. Nothing but horrific influences in his life. If the worst he did was show up late for practice, then Dez has a chance to become an upstanding NFL citizen. I was hoping that the Pats would take a chance on this kid.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

Good points but I think Belichick weighed the odds here. Every year there may be that one kid that overcomes all obstacles, cleans up his life, sheds his past, and becomes a highly productive player in the NFL. You can afford taking those chances on low rounders because of the cost factor but I don't think he'd take that shot on our first pick, especially with heavy money tied to him.

I certainly feel for Dez but it is what it is; if he wants to be a star player for the long haul, he'll have to clean things up regardless of whether it's crime and family history or just bad habits and judgment.

The Patriots must have done their due diligence to pass on this kid because already, the Patriots, the Krafts, and Bill would be dragged into this "he said/she said" game....and it's only April/May. You also have to keep in mind that the media surely picks and chooses their targets and apparently, they know that they can get to Dez' family because each time a story breaks, "an associate" or someone from the family speaks to the media. Can you imagine that circus every week here in New England? I'm sure Bill considered that beforehand...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Very well put, apd. Dez is a high risk/ high reward player. BB tends to stay away from those in the 1st round.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't care about his off the field issues, at best he's Desean Jackson when he's on the field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canpatfan. Show canpatfan's posts

I think the Pats must have really agonized over this pick #22.  Bryant was "predicted" by some mock drafts to go to the Patriots citing their need for a WR - and he was available at #22.  However - I think you have to weigh the information you have with the information that may come later when it comes to some of these players.  Some guys notoriously come with baggage - some with little - some with none but then after a time (Roethlisberger) you find things out.  If there are any hidden issues with Dez they will come out- and Dallas will pay for it.  If not, and he turns out to be a great player - good on the 'Boys for chooising him - and it will be a loss for the Pats.  We just can't tell right now.  With that said - Hernandez and Price will more than make up for it.  Still can't figure out why Price went in the third/fourth round? He is a good receiver - will be even better with Brady.

In Response to SO Glad We Passed on Dez:
    Can you imagine this story just dragging on and on? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/dez-bryants-mom-was-arrested-again-in-2009/ Knowing the family thus far, I know this certainly will not be the first story in the media. Perfect fit in Dallas after all.
    Posted by apdynasty23

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

That certainly would be a distraction we don't need. But what if you look at it from a different perspective. If this kid can make it through life with no off the field legal problems (that I know of), then its a testament to his dedication and character. Imagine what it must have been like growing up for Dez. Nothing but horrific influences in his life. If the worst he did was show up late for practice, then Dez has a chance to become an upstanding NFL citizen. I was hoping that the Pats would take a chance on this kid.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

Somebody on The Sports Reporters made this point on Sunday and it's certainly valid, but in this TMZ society, where perception becomes reality and everyone is guilty until proven innocent, the distraction trumps the behavior. There is not enough actual news and too many people trying to make a living "reporting" it. There is no way to know, at present, what celebrity and gobs of cash are going to do to this kid and his family. The Pats -- and every other team that didn't pick him -- bet the risk would not be worth the reward. The Cowboys are betting it will.

We shall see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

A couple of weeks ago, the majority of you wanted him on the team even though we all knew about his character problems. Now that he's not here you are glad he is in Dallas? Be quiet, all of you. Just because this kid's mom is a clown doesn't make him one. ignorance isn't hereditary, it's nurtured. 

Belichick didn't skip on Bryant because of character issue-- Brandon Deaderick has enough problems to raise the crime rate of Foxborough--Belichick wasn't drafting a WR in round 1. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Dez may make an already dangerous offense even better.
    All picks have risks and are not guranteed to have success or failure.
    I don't know how anyone can claim victory at this point. (Pats or Cowboys).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

To say Dez is very immature is an understatement.  He doesn't interview well either and I imagine that's what sunk him with the Pats.  Before his practice injury he was also on the field throwing up.  A nice sign of being out of shape which may have been a reason for the injury to take place.  Don't get me wrong, he is a talent but there have been many super talented guys come into the NFL and because of their immaturity are out of football.  Pacman is a great example. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Im on record of saying I wanted the Pats to pass on him. Think about the WR's in todays league and think how many are really worth a first round pick. Im not that old , but Ive been watching football intensely since around 90'-91' and there might be 20-30 guys that IMHO are really worth the risk , money etc. The WR position is the hardest position to make the jump from college to pros. Id argue that its harder that the WR position is harder to make the jump then QB. When your talking about QB's its mostly cerebral , sure you have to have the arm , but educated fans know that is vastly overrated. The WR position is much more physically demanding and when you play in a O like ours you have to have something upstairs as well. Another thing not talked about enough is the level of competiton WR's face in college , compared to the pros. Its an extreme difference that cant be overstated. You almost never face press coverage , never get doubled , you'll face teams that might not have one NFL prospect playing CB/DB and the overall schemes of college D's is miles away from the NFL's. Its not even worth getting into. Not to mention the spread O that more and more college teams run , that can showcase some skills , but more than not it can leave you wondering , " seriously , is this kid going to be able to learn , understand our playbook/O and then translate that on the field"? I really dont care about Bryant's off the field BS , the problem I have w/ him is on the field. Listen Im not saying hes not incredibly gifted , I have a problem w/ his T.O. arms and dropping to many easy balls , the way he'd advertise his routes coming in/out of his breaks and his route running wasnt very good at all to begin w/ and the fact that he didnt play very much between the #'s. I think he'll turn out ok , but the next T.O. , Michael Irvin or even Q-Boldin , who knows. Another reason Id pass is because two of the three I just mentioned were second , third round picks and two of the best to ever do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DogenHanda. Show DogenHanda's posts

Im on record of saying I wanted the Pats to pass on him. Think about the WR's in todays league and think how many are really worth a first round pick. Im not that old , but Ive been watching football intensely since around 90'-91' and there might be 20-30 guys that IMHO are really worth the risk , money etc. The WR position is the hardest position to make the jump from college to pros. Id argue that its harder that the WR position is harder to make the jump then QB. When your talking about QB's its mostly cerebral , sure you have to have the arm , but educated fans know that is vastly overrated. The WR position is much more physically demanding and when you play in a O like ours you have to have something upstairs as well. Another thing not talked about enough is the level of competiton WR's face in college , compared to the pros. Its an extreme difference that cant be overstated. You almost never face press coverage , never get doubled , you'll face teams that might not have one NFL prospect playing CB/DB and the overall schemes of college D's is miles away from the NFL's. Its not even worth getting into. Not to mention the spread O that more and more college teams run , that can showcase some skills , but more than not it can leave you wondering , " seriously , is this kid going to be able to learn , understand our playbook/O and then translate that on the field"? I really dont care about Bryant's off the field BS , the problem I have w/ him is on the field. Listen Im not saying hes not incredibly gifted , I have a problem w/ his T.O. arms and dropping to many easy balls , the way he'd advertise his routes coming in/out of his breaks and his route running wasnt very good at all to begin w/ and the fact that he didnt play very much between the #'s. I think he'll turn out ok , but the next T.O. , Michael Irvin or even Q-Boldin , who knows. Another reason Id pass is because two of the three I just mentioned were second , third round picks and two of the best to ever do it.
    Posted by ONE-TIME

I agree...in the last 30 years I cfan only think of 2-3 wide receivers that were sure bets to be NFL stars from the very beginning: Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. T.O. had something to prove since he was largely unknown outside of UT Chattanooga where he played; Irvin had better odds of becoming a star than TO but had to prove that he was a true star and not simply the beneficiary of the juggernaut that the Miami Hurricanes were at that time...Rice and Moss were already legends in the making when they were coming out of school...and unlike the vast majority of high priced draft picks....they justified the hype from Day 1.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I wanted Dez as well, but a tip of the 'ole cap to Bill and the boys! Well done!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

I never wanted him.

Offense wins games Defense wins championships.

Sections
Shortcuts