So it's basically a three way race for this years MVP award

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HipHopHooray. Show HipHopHooray's posts

So it's basically a three way race for this years MVP award

After watching all of today's games I feel that it is pretty safe to say that the MVP race has come down to three Michael Vick, Philip Rivers and our very own Tom Brady. I think Brady's the person to beat, followed by Vick and then Rivers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: So it's basically a three way race for this years MVP award

I think it is really two way. There are enough voters in the AP that will not vote Vick simply based on his past. 

That said, I am not sure he is really more valuable to the Eagles than Tom is to the Pats right now. 

If he isn't on the Eagles, McNabb is still piloting that team to the same record it has now.

I'm not sure any other QB could be doing what Brady is doing for NE right now: playing perfect, leading rookies, and making up for a bottom five defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Vick missed too may games to be seriously considered for the MVP.

It's Brady vs Rivers with Brady slightly ahead due to a slightly better QB rating, fewer interceptions, more pts per game, and more wins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them share the award if they both continue at this pace and I would be fine with that really.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

One factor that has to be considered is wins. Having 5 losses already hurts Rivers and Manning somewhat. I'd say last night (and also last week) hurt Manning' chances significantly. There are also five games left to play, and others could suddenly "get hot" and move into serious consideration. As far as Vick goes, his past may help him as much as hinder him. Everybody loves a "comeback" story. Though I think it more likely he wins that award, much like Pennington did a few years back. But there is one other guy nobody has mentioned, and he also leads a 9-2 team, and against stiffer competition so far. Matt Ryan has led game winning drives in the last minute two weeks in a row. And both were against top rated defenses. His defense (though better statistically than NE's) is not top notch, at least not the secondary. I don't understand why nobody is promoting him for MVP. Myself, I'd put him ahead of both Rivers and Vick. Manning (IMO) is only being talked up because the media is in love with him! He'd be a lot further down my list. Jamal Charles and Clay Matthews are also names of note, though inevitably a QB usually gets the award. If Brady keeps playing like he has been I'd have to agree he should be a no-brainer. But remember the predisposition the voters have against him and the team. Also a lot of those media idios are "no-brainers"! IMO it should be a combination of coaches and other players (with a stipulation you could not vote for one on your own team) who cast the ballots. As long as it is controlled by the morons in the press it will always be half popularity contest. Just like I think the HOF votes should be among existing members. Either way, Manning had to take a huge hit (pun definitely intended) from last night's game. If they do hand it to him we'll know the depth of the media bias...as if we don't already!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Pats never win anything except football games.  That's partly because they don't care about padding statistics -- they're too busy getting another win in the can.

Padding wins beauty contests.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: So it's basically a three way race for this years MVP award:
    [QUOTE]One factor that has to be considered is wins. Having 5 losses already hurts Rivers and Manning somewhat. I'd say last night (and also last week) hurt Manning' chances significantly. There are also five games left to play, and others could suddenly " get hot " and move into serious consideration. As far as Vick goes, his past may help him as much as hinder him. Everybody loves a " comeback " story. Though I think it more likely he wins that award, much like Pennington did a few years back. But there is one other guy nobody has mentioned, and he also leads a 9-2 team, and against stiffer competition so far. Matt Ryan has led game winning drives in the last minute two weeks in a row. And both were against top rated defenses. His defense (though better statistically than NE's) is not top notch, at least not the secondary. I don't understand why nobody is promoting him for MVP. Myself, I'd put him ahead of both Rivers and Vick. Manning (IMO) is only being talked up because the media is in love with him! He'd be a lot further down my list. Jamal Charles and Clay Matthews are also names of note, though inevitably a QB usually gets the award. If Brady keeps playing like he has been I'd have to agree he should be a no-brainer. But remember the predisposition the voters have against him and the team. Also a lot of those media idios are " no-brainers "! IMO it should be a combination of coaches and other players (with a stipulation you could not vote for one on your own team) who cast the ballots. As long as it is controlled by the morons in the press it will always be half popularity contest. Just like I think the HOF votes should be among existing members. Either way, Manning had to take a huge hit (pun definitely intended) from last night's game. If they do hand it to him we'll know the depth of the media bias...as if we don't already!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

The problem for Matt Ryan is that no one will mention his name without bringing up Roddy White. In fact, RW is being talked about as MVP more than Matty. Matt has been great, but RW is having a season too. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

if brady and rivers keep playing the way they are playing it should be beween them. vick has missed 4 games that will hurt him enough to leave him out of mvp talk

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Tom Brady or Matt Ryan.

TB would probably care less, its kinda of a jinx too going into the plyoffs. how many times did pouting win it only to lose in the first game of the playoffs

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Rivers puts up stats on weak teams and chokes on the big games ..... Doesn't deserve to be even mentioned as a MVP.
     Chargers are chokers and Norv Is just Norv

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Bottom line is the Eagles won with Kolb, and they won with good play with him at QB.  There is a lot of talent around that team.  Vick goes down and Kolb can still lead that team.  He might be the best back QB in the league.

Brady has led this extremely young team to a 9-2 record, when they were expected to finish 9-7 at seaosns beginning.

SD always wins the division with 13-3 records or even 8-8.  However, injuries have plagued that team, and if it was not for Rivers they would have crashed and burned.

SD has the number 1 ranked offense and defense.  Patriots rank dead last in defense. 

Brady get's the Nod up to now, as a realist not just a Pat's fan. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

It's either going to be Brady or Rivers unless something changes dramatically in the last five games.

I agree with everything Getzo said. At the moment, Brady gets the nod for leading his team to a better record with a lesser defense. Also, Brady has far less turnovers, which gives Brady another advantage. Brady has only four INTs and one fumble lost. Rivers has nine INTs and three fumbles lost. Also, Brady has a rushing TD to Rivers' zero (which I don't think should really be included in the discussion, but whatever, someone will add that). If the Pats win the division and Brady remains consistent he will get the MVP.

Vick shouldn't be included in the discussion. Sure, he's been incredible, but he hasn't been the MVP. Kolb did very well when he was in and Vick has missed too many games.

I don't care if Brady wins the MVP or not. In fact, I would sort of prefer that he didn't win it, because it seems as if the MVP never wins the Superbowl.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Tom isn't being mentioned as MVP anywhere but in New England. =D

It's between Matt Ryan and Philip Rivers. Matt has the best weapons on any football team with Roddy, Tony and Turner all lining up with him, but he's the QB on the best team in the NFC so he'll get some votes. 

Philip has the Peyton story going for him. The Chargers were devastated by injuries and hold outs earlier on in the year. Now they have a chance to make the playoffs and Rivers is, supposedly, the only thing on the Chargers. Defense, what defense? ALL HIS WRs WERE INJURED AND RIVERS HAD TO PLAY OL, WR, TE and RB ALL BY HIMSELF!!! 

Wildcard - 

Michael Vick - Vick winning the MVP will sell a ton of press. And, he'll come out and donate his MVP to some animal organization and we'll get an AWWWWWW moment. The headlines will read 'Man Values Puppies'.

Peyton Manning - Don't count him out yet! He's still doing it all by himself even when he throws 4 picks, 2 turn into a score and the defense held the Chargers to 2 FGs on the other scores. Hell, he doesn't throw those 2 pick-6s were looking at a really close game. 

Not being mentioned, but should be--

Brady - You mention Brady's name and it's Belichick's coaching. You mention that Belichick is a defensive guy and they mention Tom's system. You mention the fact that he's playing without Moss and he's incorporating rookies into the system and they mention that he throws too many short passes. You mention that why don't defenses game plan around it and they mention spygate. 

Tom isn't winning the MVP. The media refuses to acknowledge his value to a team with the 30th ranked defense, a ton of rookies and first year starters on offense and the fact that he is the QB on the team that is tied for the best record in the NFL. 

I'd be shocked if that happens. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Tom is being mentioned for the MVP and has been listed on Peter King's MVP watch almost every week. I wouldn't be surprised if he got it, but Rivers is most likely going to be the one chosen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

If Rivers breaks Marino's record, and it's likely that he will, my guess is Rivers.  I know he's putting up yards on middle of the road teams, but without River's arm the Chargers would be about 2-8.  

Marino won it in '84, but the Fins went to the SB that year with a 14-2 record. The Chargers will not be heading to the SB this year, so it's reasonable to think they might give the MVP to a SB contender.   But 5000+ yards passing, no matter whom it's against, is pretty crazy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

well noone hear has metioned drew brees been putting up some numbers too so i would put him over vick

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Won't be Brady, he plays for the Pats. It's wrong, but that's the way the MVP is decided.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Rivers has a pretty good defense to lean on along with some weapons at his disposal.  If he and the Chargers had gotten off to a better start then I'd say it's close otherwise I think Brady is running away with it.  He's done it with no defense and so many injuries around him not to mention losing Moss.  Matt Ryan does deserve some consideration but right now Brady is running away with it.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

In Response to Re: So it's basically a three way race for this years MVP award:
    [QUOTE]In Response to So it's basically a three way race for this years MVP award : MATT RYAN.
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Ya Matt Ryan's been great but look at the weapons around him.  Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, and Michael Turner.  So I would imagine Matt Ryan would have a great year.  Brady has done a lot more with less this year that's why he gets the nod. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

How could Ryan be chosen over Brady? As things stand right now, Brady has more TDs, less INTs, less fumbles, and a higher QB rating. The only thing Ryan beats Brady in is passing yards, and he beats Brady by less than 15.

Matt Ryan also has a better team around him. He has a somewhat decent defense, while the Pats are one of the worst ranked defenses in the league. Ryan has proven offensive players to work with as well. Brady is putting up slightly better stats with rookies, a recovering Wes Welker, and Deion Branch who has been invisible in the league the last few years.

If the season ended today then Brady should be the MVP. However, there are five games left and a few players in the hunt.