So much for James Morris being a steal...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

So much for James Morris being a steal...

The patriots already cut him.  I wonder if it was an injury related?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: So much for James Morris being a steal...

After the euphoria of the draft and rookie free agency, reality begins to set in . . . 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The patriots already cut him.  I wonder if it was an injury related?

[/QUOTE]

Surprising... I'm curious of the reason as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Patriots release rookie LB Morris
    May, 20, 2014May 20
    4:20
    PM ET
    By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
    Recommend3
    Tweet4
    Comments0
    Email
    Print
    Undrafted rookie linebacker James Morris, who was signed by the New England Patriots on Friday, has been released by the club Tuesday.

The Patriots' roster now has 88 players, two shy of the NFL's 90-man limit.

Morris, 22, was a three-year starter at Iowa who was just the sixth player in program history to total 400 career tackles. He was a longshot to stick with the Patriots.

This marks the second rookie the Patriots have released just days after signing, as Morris joins Bowling Green tight end Tyler Beck in that category. When that happens, it could be a variety of factors in play, from a player struggling to keep up mentally to physical considerations.

With Morris, the Patriots released him with a "failed physical" designation.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I believe they needed the roster spots to bring in a few additional FA vets..including at the LB position...I believe Keller is announced this week as well

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe they needed the roster spots to bring in a few additional FA vets..including at the LB position...I believe Keller is announced this week as well

[/QUOTE]

Sweet.  I'm quite a bit more excited about the possible acquisition of Keller then I probably should be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Morris got some hype on this board but nowhere near the amount T.J. Moe received last year. It's weird but usually 1 or 2 UDFA's make the roster every year but it's hard to pick which ones. Kinda like the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Yuck!  He has stone hips and shrimpy arms too.  I guess that he was possibly worth one peek in the offseason as a UDFA, if he came for free.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure I like the Pats bringing Keller in.  Why hasn't other teams picked this guy up?  Not sure he will be ready to make a big impact this season, and next season he will be 30 if I'm not mistaken.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey rkarp-  quick question:  at this point, why wouldn't NE wait till after June 1 to sign any addition FAs so that they won't count against the Comp Pick formula?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey rkarp-  quick question:  at this point, why wouldn't NE wait till after June 1 to sign any addition FAs so that they won't count against the Comp Pick formula?

[/QUOTE]

Great question...also surprised about Morris...I hope to the good lord they sign several FA LB's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I wouldn't pay attention to a player's contract status at this point in the year, they can be cut and re-signed on a whim, to provide roster flexibility, to motivate maybe, to look at other players, either way he is trying to make the best team in the NFL.  This guy has to beat out the Chris Whites and Slaters of the World to make this team, that's why many of our draft busts get cut or not re-signed then go on to play elsewhere.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

because if another teams TE is injured, retires or is arrested, that team could trump the Pats offer

you are getting ahead of yourself regarding comp picks. Keller has to first make the team out of camp

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Patriots release rookie LB Morris
    May, 20, 2014May 20
    4:20
    PM ET
    Recommend3
    Tweet4
    Comments0
    Email
    Print
    Undrafted rookie linebacker James Morris, who was signed by the New England Patriots on Friday, has been released by the club Tuesday.

The Patriots' roster now has 88 players, two shy of the NFL's 90-man limit.

Morris, 22, was a three-year starter at Iowa who was just the sixth player in program history to total 400 career tackles. He was a longshot to stick with the Patriots.

This marks the second rookie the Patriots have released just days after signing, as Morris joins Bowling Green tight end Tyler Beck in that category. When that happens, it could be a variety of factors in play, from a player struggling to keep up mentally to physical considerations.

With Morris, the Patriots released him with a "failed physical" designation.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

[/QUOTE]

Just a follow-up to what you posted...

When a player gets 20k for 4 days of work
    May, 21, 2014May 21
    12:10
    PM ET
    Recommend4
    Tweet5
    Comments1
    Email
    Print
    This is more of an "inside football" topic and one that interested me from a number-crunching standpoint.

When the Patriots announced Tuesday they released rookie linebacker James Morris of Iowa after just four days, it seemed like a case where they gave a young player a look and simply decided to move on.

But there was more to it.

First, Morris was released with a "failed physical" designation, meaning he sustained some type of injury in his 3-4 days of practice with the team. Second, the Patriots had signed Morris to a contract that included a $10,000 signing bonus and $10,000 in guaranteed base salary. That $20,000 investment ranks tied for third highest among the team's undrafted players, which shows the club had some level of expectation that Morris would stick around a bit.

So for those who might look at the Patriots' release of Morris after just four days as cold-hearted, consider that Morris is still leaving with $20,000 for his four days of work.

Also, the possibility exists that Morris could return to the team when he recovers from injury. This looks like a case where the Patriots wanted the roster spot for another player at this time, and were willing to absorb the $20,000 loss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Any word on which potential FA LB? Generally this time of year you are scraping the bottom of the barrel on the FA list and they don't typically make it through camp.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Any word on which potential FA LB? Generally this time of year you are scraping the bottom of the barrel on the FA list and they don't typically make it through camp.

[/QUOTE]

No LB's yet that I can confirm. They did workout 2 RBs and 2 TE's. I posted on it but likely just insurance. No big names...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

No LB's yet that I can confirm. They did workout 2 RBs and 2 TE's. I posted on it but likely just insurance. No big names...

[/QUOTE]

Reiss had this the other day on LB's:

May 19
    10:30
    AM ET
    Recommend4
    Tweet4
    Comments0
    Email
    Print
    With the Patriots agreeing to terms with Maine receiver Derrick Johnson on Sunday, there are now 87 players on the team's roster. The limit is 90, which leaves three open spots.

Two thoughts to consider:

Might as well wait on a veteran signing until June 1. Because veteran players signed after June 1 don't count against the compensatory pick formula for next year, the Patriots might as well wait another two weeks if they are eyeing a more experienced player. Tight end Dustin Keller, as previously mentioned, would be one example to come to mind. That's the top position we think the team would like to address in some form.

Taking a closer look at linebackers. As Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reported, the Patriots had veteran linebackers James Anderson (Bears), Stevenson Sylvester (Steelers), and Marvin Mitchell (Vikings) in for tryouts late last week. The 30-year-old Anderson (6-2, 235), who played for the Panthers from 2006-2012, started all 16 games for the Bears last season and was credited with 102 tackles and four sacks. The 25-year-old Sylvester (6-2, 231) was mostly a reserve for the Steelers over the last four seasons. The 29-year-old Mitchell (6-3, 249) started 10 games for the Vikings last season, and the Patriots have a semi tie-in with him on their staff with first-year coach Brendan Daly coming over from Minnesota. While this could simply be a case of due diligence, one could also view it as a sign that the Patriots hope to add to their linebacker depth as well. If so, it seems likely the Patriots would wait until after June 1 to make any move

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Paid the guy $20k for 4 days on the job.  That is some bad spending.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...says the person who isn't happy unless there is something to whine about.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if he's back later in camp once he gets healthy. Or maybe they like what they see from the other young LB's and were ready to move on. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

...says the person who isn't happy unless there is something to whine about.

You don't agree that it was bad spending? 

I'm a winner!  I expect Championships!  Continue living in 2nd place. Loser.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

$20,000 for 4 days - OMG!  No wonder the team hasn't won a SB in 28,255 years.  What was BB thinking??  The guy totally sux as a GM. 

Did I miss anything?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

Yes you missed that he got injured during the 4 days of that rookie camp. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to artielang's comment:

Yes you missed that he got injured during the 4 days of that rookie camp. 

Ah, thanks. Oh, and I do apologize for the puddle of dripping irony from prior post.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

$20,000 for 4 days - OMG!  No wonder the team hasn't won a SB in 28,255 years.  What was BB thinking??  The guy totally sux as a GM. 

Did I miss anything?

[/QUOTE]

:)  that about sums it up.  I swear BB just does things like this to give the eternal pessimists something to complain about.