So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?

Very nice post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It's too bad, but it sounds like he has some future plans outside of the game, so that's a good thing.

If I am being honest, I thought he was an overachiever, and to his credit, he made it work. But, I also felt he would have been more effective as a nickelback.  He lacked size and strength which hurt him against the larger WRs.

Also, was not a fan  of the dancing after a basic tackle after a 5 yard run.  He was very good laterally, not so good vertically in pass defense, but he battled.

He never made excuses either and played hurt. His KRs were arguably the best we've seen here as well.

Good luck to the guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

he sucked*

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I liked the guy.  Like BBR said, perhaps an over achiever but what the hey?  Always had a good attitude and when he was traded, he did not trash the PATS like the guy who actually blew that coverage of Plax, one Asante Samuel.

Yeah, good luck and good wished to you Ellis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

He actually played on a team with a good pass rush which makes you appreciate how good Bodden and McCourty are here now.

And that's not a knock on Ellis Hobbs, just some context/perspective.

By the time 2008 rolled around the pass rush started to fade, but I'd argue Ellis was protected by a quality Front 7 and a quality back end with Harrison/Sanders.

The other issue is, SB 42.  He'll always be blamed for that, but that was a horrendous match up for him and he should have had help.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I would have started a Hobbs thread. I always had high hopes for the guy. I liked how he did that stupid lights out on the charger logo. I figured if I started one it would have been a Hobbs hatefest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?:
    [QUOTE]he sucked*
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

You are wrong, Harley.  He played well, hurt, and hard.  Hats off to a good Patriot.  Is is 5 o'clock somewhere, Harley? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?:
    [QUOTE]That was not his assignment on that play Rusty, its come out since SB 42 that they play broke down and Hobbs covered someone he was not meant to cover. I cant remember if it was Samuel or Harrison that was supposed to be on Plex on that play but it was not Hobbs and he had to cover for someone else's mistake. And now he will be blamed forever and that is BS IMO.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

How do you know that?  Was something ever reported that it was a blown coverage?  Looked like man coverage to me with absolutely no one remotely near that side of the field.

It was pretty obvious to me that they tried to isolate Burress on Hobbs. A timeout should have been called because before the ball was snapped we could all see the mismatch.

Neither here nor there now, but I was just saying he'll always be scapegoated for it. I agree it's unfair.  Well thrown ball.

Plus, at some point, you just have to laugh at the series of lucky events leading up to it (Samuel's drop, Eli escaping the sack when it could have been called in the grasp, and the catch itself by Tyree).

You can't explain those wild plays in games. That's why people watch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really? : How do you know that?  Was something ever reported that it was a blown coverage?  Looked like man coverage to me with absolutely no one remotely near that side of the field. It was pretty obvious to me that they tried to isolate Burress on Hobbs. A timeout should have been called because before the ball was snapped we could all see the mismatch. Neither here nor there now, but I was just saying he'll always be scapegoated for it. I agree it's unfair.  Well thrown ball. Plus, at some point, you just have to laugh at the series of lucky events leading up to it (Samuel's drop, Eli escaping the sack when it could have been called in the grasp, and the catch itself by Tyree). You can't explain those wild plays in games. That's why people watch.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I think the blown coverage Killa speaks of was a previous play, the infamous Tyree play. That was the play where ASSante blew his coverage and Rodney was forced to cover for him, giving Tyree just enough time. On that TD to Burress, there was no blown coverage, it was just a bad mismatch for Hobbs.

I know it's the play you're talking about because Dungy and Rodney actually broke it down one night on Football Night in America.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What can I say as a player the guy was just average but this proves that he's smarter then most. At least the guy faced a major injury and said I need to think about my family and my future and decided to leave the game he loves. He deserves a lot of credit as most in his situation would try to get back into the game and re-injure themselves maybe permanently

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really? : I think the blown coverage Killa speaks of was a previous play, the infamous Tyree play. That was the play where ASSante blew his coverage and Rodney was forced to cover for him, giving Tyree just enough time. On that TD to Burress, there was no blown coverage, it was just a bad mismatch for Hobbs. I know it's the play you're talking about because Dungy and Rodney actually broke it down one night on Football Night in America.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Well, I am not even convinced that was blown coverage on the Tyree play.  Eli was about to be sacked and he scrmabled and threw a duck.  I just chalk that up to a broken play and sheer luck.

Agreed on the bad mismatch.  I am sure we weren't the only ones screaming at the TV to call a timeout there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]I dont know I was pretty sure Hobbs was on Plex cause of blown coverage as well but maybe your right...i do smoke a lot of herb lol

Killa,

I seem to recall BB in an interview stating what you said, Hobbs was covering Plex because someone else blew their coverage on that play. I think it might have been on a "Patriots all Access" or on NFL network.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

Hes a young kid, and hes not on the patriots. It's sad that he got hurt and is retiring, but really he was only here for 4 years. He's on an NFC team now, which is why nobody talks about him. we almost never play the eagles. 

Also please get rid of that huge signature, that is longer then most of your posts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from docmartin72. Show docmartin72's posts

Isn't it time for a "we need to sign him" thread?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEPatsFan86. Show NEPatsFan86's posts

It's sad to see an athlete be forced to retire at such a young age.  That being said, it's also shocking to see an athlete make this kind of decision.  Usually, it's money, glory and fame before and above everything else.  It's nice to see that some actually value their health and family more than the all mighty dollar!  We'll never forget that TD pass in the 2007 SB, however, we will also never forget all the good plays he also made and contributed too during his time with the Pats.  Wishing him nothing but good luck in any and all future endeavors!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really? : Killa, I seem to recall BB in an interview stating what you said, Hobbs was covering Plex because someone else blew their coverage on that play. I think it might have been on a "Patriots all Access" or on NFL network.
    Posted by rtuinila[/QUOTE]

Then it must have been BOTH plays. DAMN IT!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]He actually played on a team with a good pass rush which makes you appreciate how good Bodden and McCourty are here now. And that's not a knock on Ellis Hobbs, just some context/perspective. By the time 2008 rolled around the pass rush started to fade, but I'd argue Ellis was protected by a quality Front 7 and a quality back end with Harrison/Sanders. The other issue is, SB 42.  He'll always be blamed for that, but that was a horrendous match up for him and he should have had help.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I will be honest...I never really like the guy (as a fan of course). The fumble on the kick off return in the Divisional game kick started my dislike for him and it was cemented when he gave up the game winning TD to none other than the Jets...and of course the many other big plays he gave up. I don't blame him for 02/03/08...I blame Door Matt, Stankins, Kaczualty, Koppen (can't think of a nick name for him), and the rest of the O-line for their no show which resulted in that loss!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Good complaint.

I was always a Hobbs fan.  He left it on the field every game and because of that the injuries.  It doesn't surprise me at all about his early retirement.  I didn't like the trade but knew he wasn't going to last much longer.

I never thought of him losing SB 42.  I blamed that on Samuels who dropped that easy interception.  He wanted that big contract because of those int's and he drops the biggest one in his career. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Hobbs was a #2 corner forced to play the #1 reciever. He had the speed to be a #1 cover guy but his style was realy hurt when they changed the PI rules so Manning could get his ring.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]No way I get rid of my sig. I dont care how long it is.

Don't look now, but you just added another sig. hehe

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Nice post Killa. Sad to see a guy's career end like that. Gotta wish him the best in whatever he does next.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The dude got a chronic case of swivelneckites.  It's caused by years of watching WR run past you even though your playing 12 yards off the line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Hobbit was a midget and he sucked*

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pixelfergus. Show Pixelfergus's posts

The average NFL career is 3.5 seasons

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

too ba di thought he played with alot of heart and was one hell of a returner.

Sections
Shortcuts