So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?

I never had a problem with Hobbes. He got what he could out of his ability and kept his mouth shut. I don't recall ever hearing that there was any blown coverage on the winning TD in the Super Bowl. Plax was a mismatch for Hobbes and he had beaten him to the post on a previous play. If I remember correctly, Hobbes himself has said that his only chance on that play was to guess which way Plax was going . . .  and he guessed wrong.

It's unfortunate that  his career has been cut short by injury, but those are the fortunes of war -- so to speak -- and there is evidence to suggest that Hobbes is not a dummy. I think he'll be okay.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

That Hobbs started for us says more about how poor our talent and depth at corner was when he was here than his play.  He should have been the slot cover covering small receivers but due to injury he was thrust into a starting position and overmatched against the large guys.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

what the hell lets  hire him as DB coach lol jk had too get that out there !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Hey BBR and KILLA
    Great posts by both of you!
    Though your perspectives differ, you both give Hobbs the respect he deserves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Lmao so do we see Devin and Kyle playing so far off the WRs? Oh wait we dont? 

Ellis was a terrible outside corner and had too much pride to play as the third corner. Sad to see his career shut short but lets not act like the guy was a budding star. There was a reason this guy was on the tail end of so many heart breaks for Pats and Eagles fans. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

27 and retired. The American dream!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I will always have love for E.Hobbs.  He was excellent his rookie year and I thought he would be a mainstay, but his 2nd year he regressed and never looked as comfortable as he did as a rookie, but I always liked his toughness and ability to tackle and cover unless he was overmatched which he was at times., mostly because he is better suited to play slot.  He should have never been left on that island against Plax in the SB, but oh well.  I feel bad bad for the man, but life will go on.  Good Luck Ellis!  Thanks for the memories of tough play

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

he did indeed overachieve at sucking......one must wonder why no matter who was on the other side.  he was picked on...he would have been a good dime back...and a sometime kick returner   thats all.....But i do wish him well.....he did his best...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Good Post Killa! I agree, its not his fault he was pressed into a starting role in which he succeeded his rookie year.  After that it wasnt all great but not nearly as bad as some make it.  he always held his own on his side in terms of run support and most times was there with his man but was just not tall enough to make a play.  For years the Pats tried to make starting CB's out of these 5'8" smallish type guys as evidence by them picking Wheatley in the 2nd round. So, I agree you have the blame the coaching staff as a whole for implementing that philosophy that not only got players burnt but kept us from getting valuable players that came out.  The first time they went away from this was with C.Scott a few years back, and then they signed Bodden who is 6'2", but I think they took too long and were stubborn on a lot little things like that, and still are to some degree which is why its hopeless to look at players you like who dont fit the bill.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Hobbs was the man and anyone who says otherwise is a moron.  Our D was a piece of crap the first half of 2005 but it was dominant going into the playoffs - after Hobbs took over at RCB.

2006 we had one of the best Ds of the decade and Hobbs started the whole season at RCB.  And we never would have made it past San Diego in the playoffs without him breaking up every pass in his direction.

2007 - so one bad play ruins his solid performance all season?

2008 he had 3 INTs and 11 PDs on a patchwork defense with Deltha O'Neill on the other side.

And Dean Pees was the man too so shut your pie hole Taz.  You really think BB would let Pees tell the CBs to line up in a way BB didn't like?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Hobbs..........stunk ............period..............

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?:
    In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really? : lucky events my nads...
    Posted by JintsFan

Indeed . . .   the helmet catch was such a pure display of unparalelled skill that the guy who made it never made another catch in the NFL.

Undecided

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I was a big fan of Hobbs, but like many felt he would have made a hell of a nickel corner rather than a starting CB.  Certainly better than any of the non starters we have now.  His return game was some of the best we've ever seen as well.  Add this to the fact that he had heart, guts, and was a class act and I for one feel he was a big loss. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I hope his injury heals up alright.  He did have 1 or 2 kickoff returns for touchdowns.  He played on an aging sub-par defensive unit.  He always seemed to try hard.  He seems sorta humble and all.  He f#cking s#cked as a cornerback.  Number "27" isn't a bad number for a sport's jersey and the last name "Hobbs" isn't a bad last name to have. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

In Response to Re: So no one has anything to say about Ellis Hobbs retiring at age 27? Really?:
    he sucked*
    Posted by harleyroadking11

I was pulling for Hobbs, but I think you summed up why nobody started a thread on his retirement. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reloadedagent31. Show Reloadedagent31's posts

He actually played on a team with a good pass rush which makes you appreciate how good Bodden and McCourty are here now. And that's not a knock on Ellis Hobbs, just some context/perspective. By the time 2008 rolled around the pass rush started to fade, but I'd argue Ellis was protected by a quality Front 7 and a quality back end with Harrison/Sanders. The other issue is, SB 42.  He'll always be blamed for that, but that was a horrendous match up for him and he should have had help.
    Posted by BBReigns

Tough to hear about Hobbs. True about McCourty & Bodden. If Bodden is good to go in 2011, I anticipate having one of the best secondaries in the NFL, not just CB tandem. However, the one thing I still don't understand was why he didn't have safety help over the top.

I have mixed feelings about Hobbs. I didn't think he was good enough as the #2 CB to begin with, so it didn't help when he became the #1 CB when Asante Samuel left. He somehow played 10+ yards off the line, but somehow beaten on a consistent basis by whoever he was covering. Then again, the pass rush deteriorated midway through the 2007 season.

Special teams was where he was really missed in 2009, having one of the worst kick return coverages in the NFL that season. In the end, I had many critiques on Hobbs, but I don't believe he should be the scapegoat for the loss in Superbowl XLII.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

You know I'm just messing with you.  But we've already had this discussion and it was decided beyond a shadow of doubt that Hobbs and Pees were basically the best thing that ever happened to the Pats so I don't know where all this hate is coming from.

Sections
Shortcuts