So Tired of HUGE contracts... Athletes and "this"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: So Tired of HUGE contracts... Athletes and

The issue in sports as in all of society is players all come from different backgrounds and have different attitudes towards how they conduct themselves and their beliefs.

I grew up in an environment  where the people raising me (grandparents) lived through the depression and taught and instilled the values that everything  you get or expect to get has to be earned. There are no short cuts only taught values, education and hard work will determine the type of person you are. I am not sayng that is the best or only way but it was what I lived and what I was exposed to.

Most proffesional athletes (not all) today were identified at a young age to have an amazing talent and subsequently coddled, enabled and allowed to do as they pleased. For most of them it is all they know. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

"Respect, honor, commitment,  ethics and morals....... why aren't these  traits cherished in sport, why aren't these commitments required?"

Because these traits are not demonstrated by the leaders in our country. How many politicians, educators, businessmen, coaches, scoutmasters, religious leaders etc. get caught every year doing dishonest things and treating people with no regard? It starts at the top, and sheet flows downhill...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Remember, there are about 2000 players in the NFL.  Because the bad guys get a lot of press it's easy to think they are all bad.  But the vast majority of those 2000 guys are pretty decent. If 20 of them are jerks, that's only 1%. The remaining 99% are okay. Pull any 2000 people and you're going to find a few bad eggs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

I find it amusing that the three previous comments are terrific by Ghostofjr, BSF111 and Prolate. But little action here.

Yep, I remember when I was a kid, if I did something wrong, they would say " I'm gonna tell your Mother about this"! My answer, No please don't ( you know why). Then I would say " do you need me to run an errand for you". lol

Yep, it starts from the Home and the Top and they don't impress me one bit with there foolishness. Heck, there is a guy now reported to be the next Mayor of NY. Another 'official' sitting in front of portaits of George, Abraham and Theodore etc. getting wanked, meanwhile,  during that act, Yassar Arafat walking around the Rose Garden waiting nervously for an appointment with the top 'official'. Afterwhich, the top 'official' gets a photo snapped with he and his wife going to church that same morning on the front page with a Bible in his hand. Fun huh? Long story on this ..... like you say "it gets tiring".

Yep, most NFL players are good guys and hard workers and earn thier jobs and contracts. Those are the majority whom we give thanks for a Great Sport we all enjoy here.

My own view is collectively .... all of the above. Don't be "tired of it" enjoy it .... peoples' Hearts need to change first, then the minds of those people will change, not until.

Have a great night to all ...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Corporate America is worse and far more damaging. America was defrauded by financial scams and those who cashed out walked and left the economy for what it is today, the rich get richer jobless recovery. No one went to jail. Athletes are far too absorbed and out of touch to do that kind of damage. 

Oh and by the way you are posting in the wrong forum. Football contracts are for the most part not guaranteed. Your beef would be far more with the NBA or MLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

FRAT Warning...

Man, this could be a very long and heavy thread.  And by heavy I mean deep and intense. I'm sure there are going to be more opinions on this then notches on Wilt Chamberlins bed post.

Why are contracts so big?  Well we can thank ourselves the fans for that.  As long as we continue to pump our money into the system they will continue to raise prices to go to games, memorabilia, watch on tv, etc.  the more the league and owners make and of course the players aren't going to let the owners keep all that money to themselves.  So thanks to me and all of you the contracts are big and will get bigger.

Now when we are talking about "this" I'm assuming you mean people being bad apples.  Well, I have a belief on this but in the end my belief on this is flawed and I don't know how to fix in my mind the flawed part.  Let me explain....

I believe people are born pre-wired at conception.  Sure there are things that will help influence people to choose the right or wrong paths that they take in life but how much influence really affects a person to live a certain way their whole life and not just temporarily?  Example, choosing to to get drunk is temporary, being an alcoholic is on going. 

Now me and my siblings were all raised the same.  Great family environment, same beliefs, same home, same rules, same teachings, same area of town, parents never divorced, yet all of us are different and have all chosen different paths at times in our lives.  Why? we were all raised the same?  Why didn't we all choose the same paths, make or not make the same mistakes??  Because I believe we are pre-wired at conception.

We see many examples of people who grew up and raised in broken homes, Fathers not around, Mothers working 3 jobs to make ends meet, bad neighborhoods, etc.. A lot of those people turn out to be great people, never get in trouble, great values, not a trouble maker, choose to stay away from gangs and drugs, they choose the right path.  Then there are others who grew up the same exact way but they make all the mistakes.  Gangs, drugs, no values, hard lives, nothing but trouble.  Why?  Pre-wired at conception.

How do you fix this?  You don't.  You can't.  There is no getting away from this.  We have to accept that there are going to be bad people in every area of life.  Sports, work, everywhere.  The only way to deal with this is have rules in place to deal with them when they do something wrong.

Okay, so if I haven't bored you to death and you are still reading this, here is where my belief is flawed.  Normally I don't like to talk about politics or religion with people because everyone seems to have such strong beliefs in these two area's and discussions usually end up getting very heated (I'm now thinking about adding Patriots football to this list, hahaha)  Anyways, I got into this same type of discussion with a good friend of mine.  After I went through pretty much what I posted here about people being pre-wired at conception my friend hit me with this....  She said, You really think God would put people on earth to fail?   We all have our free agency to choose to do whatever we want to do but do you really think God would put us here knowing we were going to fail?  No he wouldn't!  My mind was blown!  She is right!  So now my pre-wired at conception logic is flawed, assuming you believe in God, which I do.  So if anyone has a good answer, please help me out here.

That's my two cents on this subject, I Look forward to reading others comments about OP's questions.

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I would like to see what the overall culture of major university football programs are like. I did tennis and fencing in college, so I didn't really get to meet many of the football players other than running into them at a party for a little while (How exciting can a 5'10 accounting major who is the President of the fencing club be lol). However, a lot of them seemed very entitled and were huge party animals. It made me wonder about their coaches all the way from pee wees to college. My high school was very white washed and close knit, so I can't comment on the programs many of the other players grew up in. It makes me wonder of these players are being taught ethics and whether or not their coaches are really being good role models. Before I moved to my HS I grew up in a very poor inner city area with a very poor family. I was the poorest kid in HS too. What did I do? I looked up and listened to my role models, decided that college could be worth it, and improved myself. I didn't sell drugs and I didn't kill people. I think it is all about quality role models  growing up.

It is hard to root for players when most act like punks or spoiled brats. Then you have the OJs and the Ray Lewises of the world which makes it even harder. Yes, you have the Skinners (Enron) in the financial world, etc, but these players are role models and play a game for a living. You don't need to be going around shooting people, selling drugs, and televising your "decision." 

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Bobby Lane was a drunk and a womanizer, so was Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb was a mean SOB, how many boxers have we sent to jail only to welcome them back into society for our entertainment, we've enjoyed hardened criminals and former gang bangers in sports for as long as there has been sports, Willie McGinest was a crip after all...    

I have to agree with BostonTrollSpanker, white collar criminals do worse every day, taking away old ladies pensions, stealing their savings, taking food out of young children's mouths.  Hernandez got caught, he killed a block from his house like a fool, he was dumb as well as corrupt.   I sure do love all the "innocent until proven guilty" garbage though... the guy is a loser who was too stupid to find a way out because he didn't want a way out, he was a tough guy... enjoy prison tough guy.    

Let's just hope we can get some cap relief and some of that signing bonus back before the victim's of his crimes get it all.  There's a guy Hernandez shot in the face down in Miami who needs to get paid beyond the dead guy's family...  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i47-QBL4Qo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  I'm not sure how to initiate a top-to-bottom culutural cleansing, but the truth of the matter is that, as long as we keep coddling and entitling elite athletes, we're going to keep running into instances where people who have never had to follow a code before find themselves suddenly cast into a different limelight and told -- many for the first time -- that they've done something "wrong."

Don't get me wrong, this is not to excuse the behavior of those who can't  handle the responsibility of larger-than-life fame and endless wheelbarrows full of cash, but until we do something about agents and recruiters in elementary schools, this problem is going to persist.

Oh . . .  and if you're one of those people who believes it really is the fans' fault for continuing to spend their money to watch the product of all this corruption . . .   there's an easy way to fix that.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Again, there are about 2,000 guys signed to NFL contracts at any given time and the turnover is relatively high, so there are 1000s of guys who played in the NFL over the past four or five years.  What percentage of those guys are criminals?  It's pretty small, I'm sure.  So let's not get our undies all in a bunch just because one or two high profile guys turns out to be a thug.  Society isn't falling apart.  The vast majority of these coddled, entitled athletes are pretty normal guys.  

Sections
Shortcuts