So What is Everyone's Official Opinion of the Richard Seymour Trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbfan12. Show tbfan12's posts

So What is Everyone's Official Opinion of the Richard Seymour Trade?

Tell me how you feel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Re: So What is Everyone's Official Opinion of the Richard Seymour Trade?

initially i was shocked. after letting it sink in im actually really excited about it. in 2011 with a rookie salary cap, we could actually use the first round pick (likly a top 10)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I hate it. I could care less about Richard Seymour but this defense is missing a good Pass rusher. We just traded away our best pass rusher for a 1st round pick in 2011, how does that make us better in 2009?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They just traded away their sack leader. I can't see how this helps the 09 team.

Maybe, in like six years, we can evaluate this trade. Right now, no matter how you slice it, it is  a loss.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: So What is Everyone's Official Opinion of the Richard Seymour Trade?:
    They just traded away their sack leader. I can't see how this helps the 09 team. Maybe, in like six years, we can evaluate this trade. Right now, no matter how you slice it, it is  a loss.
    Posted by zbellino
    i agree.way to many trades,and releases of the heart of the team this year.sure the draft picks look great,but they dont help the pats this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyPieman. Show JohnnyPieman's posts

On the plus side:

1. New England clearly got the best years of his career as a defensive lineman. He was starting to get hurt, and to disappear for stretches, and it was hard not to notice that.
    2. He's 30 years old, he's not getting any younger, and he wants to get paid more than the Pats would have ever given him next year. Richard Seymour was never going to be staying here with either the franchise tag or a new deal when the other people on the table were Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork to deal with.
    3. The alternative compensation was weaker. If he stayed the year and was let go in Free Agency, and there was never any indication that the Pats would franchise him, by league compensation rules he would have gotten the Patriots no better than a 3 round pick at the very end of the round.
    4. He wasn't going to cut a deal for the Patriots. Of all of the potential Free Agents to be, he and Vince Wilfork were the least likely to give New England any kind of a deal. "Hometown discount? I'm from South Carolina" was Seymour's quote du jour the last time he held out.
    5. The Oakland Raiders are run by stupid people and that resulted in a number one pick. A smarter exec would have realized that his contract was up so he can walk without the franchise tag, that New England was going to lose Seymour to FA anyway because they were not going to franchise him, and then they only would have gotten a late post regular 3rd round compensation pick. Further, Seymour is no wimp at the table and is not going to have the slightest problem with walking away from a bad Oakland team after a year so they will have to franchise him to keep him. They knew all of this in advance, and still gave up a 1. Idiots. The most a good outfit would have given for him was a 2nd round pick with all the potential pitfalls. Thank God for bad franchises.

On the downside:

1. DE Jarvis Green is no Richard Seymour, and the younger players may be special, but there is going to be a transition period where the Patriots Dline is going to go through some growing pains post-Seymour. In all of the years I have watched the Patriots, there are these players that I can't believe so many people seem to think are so much better than they actually are. Willie Clay, Michael Bishop (messageboard future NFL hall of famer), Max Lane, Ellis Hobbs, and Brandon Mitchell come to mind. I think if Kevin Carter ends up a one year Patriot, it's because of Green getting his shot at the spotlight.  
    2. If they really want DE Kevin Carter, he just got more expensive. Maybe not by much, but it's there. If they had signed DE Kevin Carter already, he wouldn't be able to go looking for more money to come out of retirement.
    3. Richard Seymour will be missed on the field and in the lockerroom by his peers for a time. He was going to be declining, but a declining Seymour is going to be better than a lot of what passes for a poor excuse for a starting DE in the NFL. There are going to be times when its going to be something to be gotten over. I think they can do it. I think Ty Warren is underestimated as a leader, and Ron Brace is going to be a NT/DT force in this league. This was sudden and a shock and I bet nobody really thought this was going to happen, at least not now, right before the first game of the year, on the Defensive line. He was a lockerroom leader, and this is a bigger blow to the players on the D than anybody seems to be willing to entertain.  
    4. This is likely to make people less, not more, likely to be open to cutting the Pats a deal.  Hardening Vince Wilfork's contract demands because they needed him before, and now they need to get him resigned more than ever, is not my issue. He was going to be tough no matter what. It's guys like Logan Mankins. Gostowski. It's kind of hard to sell a guy on 'do it for the team' or 'do it for the fans' after you have pretty much said 'I am as cold as a hitman when your time has passed in my eyes, so you better get yours while you can'. That said, NT Vince Wilfork and Seymour were already pretty hardened in their 'pay me' stances, so this isn't a deal breaker for me. Resigning Wilfork was always going to cost the moon.
    5. The young players better be quick learners, because they have big shoes to fill and nobody to hide behind on the right side.

Final Verdict: I like the trade.

All in all, I think the good vastly outweighs the bad, and when Seymour walks, or tries to walk, away from a crappy Oakland team in disgust, and is probably caught in NFL hell due to the franchise tag, the league is going to be laughing at them over all of this. They were never one guy a way, and Seymour is too old for a rebuilding team to pay off down the line. 

He wasn't going to stay in New England because there are other players who were going to get paid the big bucks instead of him. They got a number one pick from a franchise that didn't no any better, DL rookies Myron Pryor and Ron Brace look like they both could be great pickups, If DE Kevin Carter does come out of retirement to go out with a ring and a parade it's probably for the Pats or nobody, and the Patriots aren't dead because of this. This was a painful year for the nostalgic, but I would prefer a year where there is a lot of change and the team is still viable than doing what most franchises do and Boston Celtics of the 1980s-ing it and riding the old pine into the ground until the team is broken and takes years to be reborn.

The number one pick from an idiot franchise showing no signs of being a good team this year or next makes this work for me. You can get through one year, and then collect.

This could be a top five pick in a year where, even if it turns out to be a mediocre or a crappy draft that year, it could be top five with a rookie salary cap and there certainly will be somebody in the top 10 as good as a top 10 guy in a solid year. And if 2011 is an awesome draft, the Patriots have 2 first round picks to do anything they want with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ieyetouch. Show ieyetouch's posts

1- Hurts us this year unless we can acquire a high quality player (with several years left on his contract) soon in return for 2010 draft choices which we can then recoup next spring in time for 2010 draft by trading the Raiders' 2011 1st.
    2- Sending a loyal, long time star to an awful franchise will not be forgotten by current players and future propects. Not good. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I really like this deal. Pats can now sign Wilfork and Mankins, plus Tom Brady. Get a #1 pick (way the Raiders are going top 10). Seymour hasn't been the same since 2005. Plus IMO had a better defense without him in 2007 when we had Jarvis Green in there. I think we'll have a winner this year, but BB is putting in a team that could compete for Super Bowl's far into the next decade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from khyzak81. Show khyzak81's posts

In Response to Re: So What is Everyone's Official Opinion of the Richard Seymour Trade?:
    I hate it. I could care less about Richard Seymour but this defense is missing a good Pass rusher. We just traded away our best pass rusher for a 1st round pick in 2011, how does that make us better in 2009?
    Posted by 49Patriots

Seriously?  Don't watch much football, huh?  Just because Seymour had the most sacks, he's not really a "pass rusher."  That's why we brought in Tully Banta-Cain and Burgess.  Plus, Adalius can rush the passer. 

If you can win without Brady (see: last year) you can win without Seymour.

Is it even debatable: any time Bill makes a deal with Al Davis, Mr. Davis is getting the short end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Posted by 49Patriots

I agree a 1000%. If you want to win this year you hate this trade.

They just traded away their sack leader. I can't see how this helps the 09 team.

Maybe, in like six years, we can evaluate this trade. Right now, no matter how you slice it, it is  a loss.

I agree. I think in six years we will like this trade, but do you want to win in Feb 2010? Are we glad about letting Samuel go?

i agree.way to many trades,and releases of the heart of the team this year.sure the draft picks look great,but they dont help the pats this year.

Good stuff, but in the long-run we might be happy. But if we go 14-2 and finish 16-3, will we care about the long-run? How long did it take you to get over that Super Bowl loss to the Giants?

Plus IMO had a better defense without him in 2007 when we had Jarvis Green in there.

Then why are Seymours #s better?

I change my mind on this deal every other hour. Yes - just like a woman!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

If you can win without Brady (see: last year) you can win without Seymour.
    Posted by khyzak81

Last year we did not make the playoffs. So you are content with 11-5 and missing the playoffs - you have a different expectation than me.

Is it even debatable: any time Bill makes a deal with Al Davis, Mr. Davis is getting the short end.

Like when we traded with Oakland for Doug Gabriel?

Sections
Shortcuts