So who is that "next guy"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Re: So who is that "next guy"

The DLine have their leaders in Warren and Wilfork. The play calling will be like last year with Mayo and the DBs have Sanders taking over for Harrison.

If you want people being vocal on the field like Vrabel and Colvin - then you have AD Thomas for that.

As for the other youngsters Meriweather needs to step up and maybe Wilhite will need to improve his leadership too (or maybe he turns out like Hobbs). Also Guyton is getting a huge opportunity now that Brushi is retired.

Either way, the team still has it core leadership and talent. Plus the defensive coaching staff is basically the same as Don Capers did not seem to add much value in the aggressive nature of the DB in 2008.

If you want one guy - then it will never work. The Pats have never been a one player persona. It has been team spirit and leadership by more than one.

As the board reads: DO YOUR JOB!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I was not saying we need "one guy" I was saying even when our TEAM played well as a unit they still had "that guy" on the field. They had a belichick guy, a coach on the turf. Teddy Bruschi, Ted johnson, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, Seymore. These were smart guys, guys with huge football IQs who could be counted on by the coaching staff and fans. We dont have any of these guys anymore. Yes teh D line is set with Wilfork and Warren and Green. And we hope that Mayo can be the guy and we hope that Adalius Thomas can lead the D but we dont knwo for sure that either will be able to handle it. James Sanders will be a leader for teh D backs and Merriwhether will lead with his play on the field (we hope) but I guess what I am saying is we used to have guys that Belichick could joke around with, guys that were smart enough on and off teh field that they could joke with a guy like Belichick (Belichick and a very smart guy and is not an easy person to buddy up with) guys who could go punch for punch wit for wit with Big Bad Bill Belichick and I dont see that with this team. I hope to see these new kids change my mind but right now I just dont feel the magic the way I used to and that is not normal. Normally I am not worried about the team, bad D or not I always have faith in the Pats and I still do but its is off putting that I just dont trust these young guys to take us all the way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from choircontrarian. Show choircontrarian's posts

see mr. killa, this would have been a far better thread had you taken a few seconds to do an actual poll! this way u could have listed out the obvious choices. i would have picked guyton!  willhite will be a playa too. same with myron pryor! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Taz is right.  We don't have any high football IQ BB style vets in the middle of the D other than AD.  The intelligence and leadership of the DLine doesn't really matter -their job is not as complicated as a safety or linebacker, and they're not responsible for getting the other players in position.  Mayo doesn't know enough yet, and Merriweather hasn't demonstrated any of that leadership quality yet.  Maybe he will, I just haven't seen it.  That leaves Thomas alone, and he's never really demonstrated the Patriot spirit either, other than his humble pie TShirts, which I though were stupid.  You're not humble if you go around calling yourself humble.

I don't get why this is all of a sudden your concern because of Seymour leaving.  He was never a leader of the D.  He was a phenomenal lineman, but he never acted liked he really liked it here, and he certainly didn't lead the linebackers or safeties on the field.  Losing Rodney, Bruschi and Vrabel is what hurts the leadership, and it stinks we didn't start grooming their replacements (not Woods and Alexander or even Sanders) more than 2 years ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"see mr. killa, this would have been a far better thread had you taken a few seconds to do an actual poll! this way u could have listed out the obvious choices. i would have picked guyton!  willhite will be a playa too. same with myron pryor! "

Whatever you say Reg122 the king of the waste of time polls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"I don't get why this is all of a sudden your concern because of Seymour leaving.  He was never a leader of the D.  He was a phenomenal lineman, but he never acted liked he really liked it here, and he certainly didn't lead the linebackers or safeties on the field.  Losing Rodney, Bruschi and Vrabel is what hurts the leadership, and it stinks we didn't start grooming their replacements (not Woods and Alexander or even Sanders) more than 2 years ago. " - Mighty

Mighty, It hurt when we lost Rodney and Vrabel. And it killed me to see Bruschi hang them up right before the season. But I guess I still felt like we still had a few guys left from teh glory days. And then we up and trade Seymore. You are right and Seymore was not a voal leader. But he was a leader, a quiet leader to led by example and by his play on the field. I guess losing him just made it very clear to me that we no longer have anyone left to teach these young guys the way of the Patriot. Seymore was just the last straw for me and I am just not confident in this defense anymore with out him. I know he was not that big of a deal but just losing all these guys in one off season is too much and it will hurt this team. IMO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

You are right, the old Patriot way just retired twice and was traded to Kansas City.  Hopefully these new kids soaked up some of it last year or BB will drill it into them.  I just hope we don't turn into one of those cocky young teams like San Diego - Wilhite looked like a total d*ck high stepping on that meaningless INT against the Redskin's backup after getting burned all game. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am not worried about the Oline, I dont think they were using all their blocking schemes in the pre season so what you saw them doing was not their best stuff so dont judge them too soon. The same can be said for the D and I know that but I just cant shake the feeling that this D is lacking something we need. Dont ask me what that is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Well, Taz, we should see where we stand on Monday night. No more "vanilla" defense. The new guys will line up and have to cover guys like Owens and Evans. As with any team with this much turnover, there will be an adjustment period. But I like the guys they have. As for the leadership roles, someone will have to step up and assume it. It's not quite fair to say none of these guys can, as they haven't had to do it before. Now we'll get to see what they're made of. Despite what Mighty says I think there are guys who have the football intelligence to play the roles guys like Bruschi and Rodney used to. We'll have to wait and see if they can provide the inspiration like the old guard did. I agree they are big shoes to fill.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I just want to get back some of that swagger, some of that Patriot Magic we had in our championship years. Maybe you are right and maybe guys step up I am just worried about it thats all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayosmyboy51. Show mayosmyboy51's posts

MVP, if were gonna talk about spiritual leaders, you can't forget about the guys before Vrable was Vrable and Rodney was Rodney and Bruschi was Bruschi.  You know what I mean?  Like when we had tough nosed defenders like Ty Law, Roman Phifer, Ted Washington, and even Lawyer Milloy.  I'm not sure I'm saying this how I mean it to be said, but the point I'm trying to make is that the torch always gets passed.  IMO, the next guys (besides Mayo), Wilfork and Warren, Sanders and Meriweather, and Bodden and Wilhite. Just my opinion

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I don't even think it's the leadership that is the issue. New team leaders will emerge, and they will certainly be different from the old ones. Not saying better or worse, just different. The "swagger" that Taz is loooking for will come more from making plays, IMO. Back in 03 and 04 the Patriots won a lot of games just like the Steelers did last year. They hung in, and when they absolutely had to stop someone late, they did it. IMO, it was Willie Mac who was the true "leader" in that sense. The defense hasn't seemed to be able to close the deal in some of those close games since he left. Let's face it, it would have only taken one key defensive play in the 06 AFCCG and SB42 to change things dramatically. One key sack or takeaway and there could have been five Lombardis in the case instead of three. I'm assuming, of course, that they could have beaten the Bears, but that's a decent assumption since they had Rex Grossman playing! So I understand where Taz is coming from. I've thought the same thing for three years now. Hopefully one of these younger guys will turn into the clutch player that this defense needs so badly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i don't know why people are knocking on guyton, he is a great player who rose from his misfortune from not being selected in the draft (which i am clueless to how this happened) Check out his combine numbers he is blazing fast and had one of the best combines of all the LB's that year. Go pats! I also cannot wait till monday!

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=32990&draftyear=2008&genpos=OLB

Combine Invite: Yes
    Height: 6015
    Weight: 245
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.47
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.46
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
    Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
    Broad Jump: 10'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.42
    3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Dates: 03/13/08
    Height: 6015
    Weight: 245
    40 Yrd Dash: 
    20 Yrd Dash: 
    10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
    Vertical Jump: 40
    Broad Jump: 
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.33
    3-Cone Drill: 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Height 6015? Is that in MM? That would make him 19' 9" tall! I say we put him on ST to block punts and FGs!!!

But seriously, combine numbers can be misleading. Gholston wowed people at the combine, too. Hopefully Guyton can master the mental aspect of this defense and emerge as a new staple of the team. A lot of people are wary of the "new" D, but they have a lot of talent. Hopefully they can gel and translate that talent into an elite defense, such as we had in Foxboro back in 03 and 04.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

You said to forget Mayo because we all know he is a beast.  Well, maybe he becomes to us what Ray Lewis was and is to Baltimore.   Ray Lewis has been the one constant at Baltimore the past decade.  That defense has been turned over a couple times and has always been good. 

It's about the parts and how they all fit together that keeps the engine moving along.  We've done it here but not to the same extent as in Baltimore. 

One thing BB does is adjust.  He's not one of those formula coaches that has a run and burns out once they figure ou the formula.  He adapts and changes.  That being said, Mayo now becomes the centerpiece and is, arguably, the reason for the shift to a base 4-3 (we know they will play many different formations throughout the year).  Doesn't hurt that we have an abundance of DL as well.  But perhaps that is because we have Mayo.  With that piece in place the focus last April was to draft DL's (Brace and the 3 other guys -  2 of which are on the pactice squad).  

I guess what I'm babbling about is that it's not about who the guy is .... but who the parts are.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy":
    [QUOTE]Yea and I agree delux but you need to have a few guys out there who can be counted on in the clutch and we dont have any.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

MVP - I expect more of you than this!  You're obviously looking at the glass half empty right now. 

There's new talent on the club this year and I think guys like Wilhite, Burgess, Bodden, etc, all have a huge opportunity to become difference makers for the 2009 edition of the Pats.  

We already know Mayo is a stud, Merriweather will be that much better, and Guyton could also emerge.

You saying we don't have any clutch players is a little premature.  

Sections
Shortcuts