So who is that "next guy"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Re: So who is that "next guy"

MVP:  I hear what you're saying and I'm already missing those guys too, but life is going to move on.

If you compare our defense up against many other teams I think we have a ton of leadership.  The leadership "style" might be a bit different than some of the past guys but I think they're going to get the job done. 

It's all about making big plays at big times and "DOING YOUR JOB"! 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea and I agree delux but you need to have a few guys out there who can be counted on in the clutch and we dont have any.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy":
    The Patriots are building a new (for them) kind of defense... speed and smarts. The speed part is new, the smarts have been there. Look for Patrick Chung and Darius Butler to be big players by the 5th or 6th week.
    Posted by FranklynDR

Definitely Butler, I hope Chung rides the bench all year. that means Sanders has done his job.I was hard on Chung when he was drafted. Good hitter, He just gets lost in space trying to cover people.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

On the d-line? Warren and Fork got it covered. Down the road I think Mayo and Chung will both be leaders. Mayo already is.
    Posted by zbellino
    Down the road Chung will be gone like I predicted when we drafted him. You were probably high on O'conell where is he now o yeah, with Chad Jackson and bethel Johnson 2 other second rounders. What about Lewis and Alex Smith. BB is still the man, everyone makes mistakes. I thought you wanted to propose to Chung after the Draft.The guy can't cover not on this or any other level got it DOOOOSH Bag

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Merriweather, Sanders, and Guyton. When Crable finally plays he will be one too. The talent these guys have is amazing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy" : Down the road Chung will be gone like I predicted when we drafted him. You were probably high on O'conell where is he now o yeah, with Chad Jackson and bethel Johnson 2 other second rounders. What about Lewis and Alex Smith. BB is still the man, everyone makes mistakes. I thought you wanted to propose to Chung after the Draft.The guy can't cover not on this or any other level got it DOOOOSH Bag
    Posted by patriots44

Chung is a safety, he should never be in a man coverage situation. That is not a safeties job. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy" : Chung is a safety, he should never be in a man coverage situation. That is not a safeties job. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

on blitzs they have to cover someone man to man whether it be a TE or WR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

It will be Mayo. Listen to his interview talking about Seymour leaving. Its his defense now and he clearly has learned from Harrison and Brushci

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Bobby Boucher. No . . . Wait . . .
    Posted by prairiemike

HA!

We need 'em...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy" : on blitzs they have to cover someone man to man whether it be a TE or WR.
    Posted by Irkillendem

That wasn't a blitz. Belichick just didn't want to send in any more CBs. The only Safety I know that covers well is Ed Reed. That's what preseason is about, figuring out your weakness before your opponent can use them when it counts. Chung showed that he was a good tackler but a bad coverman. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy" : on blitzs they have to cover someone man to man whether it be a TE or WR.
    Posted by Irkillendem

On blitzes and passing plays, a strong saftey's responsibility is the HB in the flat.Asking a 5'11 215lb strong safety(Chung) to cover a 5'8 185 lb veteran receiver(Sinorice Moss) in the slot is like asking Jarvis Green to cover Jason Witten.A strong safety is called that because he lines up on the strong side of the field(side where the TE lines up) and has the main responsibilty of run support.The free safety is suppose to follow the ball on passing plays.I'm sure the coaches had their reasons for putting Chung in single coverage in the slot,but don't expect to see any NE SS do that in the regular season.The nickel CB has the slot coverage assignment.LB's take on TE's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Taz, you say these newer guys don't have the "swagger" of the 03 and 04 teams. But reality is, before you can get that swagger you need to win. Sure, they won 11 games last year. But it was a disappointment as they missed the playoffs. I think the swagger will come after a bit more success. As for leaders, it's naturally an ILB and a safety who have to become those guys. You say not to mention Mayo, but by position he is the guy who needs to step up and lead. Hopefully Sanders has learned well from Rodney. He has more experience than Merriweather, and goes full tilt on the field. Has he reached Rodney's level? Not yet at least, but hopefully he'll get there. Chung is supposed to have the skills and smarts to be a leader in the secondary. But as a rookie he first needs to get used to the speed of the NFL. He's going to get burned once in a while by vets who have been around a while. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and becomes the leader of the secondary in the future. I think Mayo is there already. Every player has his own "style" so some of these guys may not be as vocal as Tedy and Rodney were, but that doesn't mean they aren't leaders. It's their pre-snap reads and ability to react that will make them such.

Caraway, I totally agree with you on the big plays back in 03 and 04. That is what brought those last two Lombardi trophies to Foxboro. For three years I've been saying they need to "replace" Willie Mac. While Rodney and Tedy made their fair share of critical stops to save games, McGinest was the best in the league at it. I believe he still holds the postseason sack record. And how many times did he stop Peyton cold on a last minute drive to preserve a win? People go on about how Brady and Vinatieri are "clutch" players. And rightfully so. But Willie seems to get lost in this discussion (at least here), and IMO he was as important to those SB winning teams as Tom and Adam. Imagine if he was there in AZ. If anyone could have knocked the snot out of Eli on that last drive and made him cough up the ball it would have been Willie. The man simply came through when they absolutely needed a big defensive play. And so far, nobody has stepped up and come near to doing what he did for this defense. I was hoping AD would be the guy. We'll see how he does this season. Mayo looks like he'll develop into a great LB, but it's harder to have that same impact from inside. I'm not so worried about Seymour. If BB let him go, he must have confidence in guys like Brace. But the key to the defense is at LB. And the safeties need to help out on the blitz. Hopefully someone will step up and become half the "clutch" player McGinest was!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

MVP:

You're right! Except for Mayo, none of the guys on the defensive side of the ball have shown any sign of "natural leadership" qualities shown by players like Bruschi and Brady.

IMHO, either one of the rookies like Butler or Chung emerge as leaders during the course of the season (unlikely) or (more likely) that "natural leader" will come from someone not already on the roster: in the future (i.e. Tyrone Mckenzie in IR) or by trade (i.e. Ed Reed).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy" : Chung is a safety, he should never be in a man coverage situation. That is not a safeties job. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

You still have to cover as a safety, what is the safety's job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Mayo/Wilfork were just named as captains, the torch has been passed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The torch has been passed? what the he ll does that even mean? Jack sh*t thats what. I like Mayo but one good year doesnt sell me on the teams D being better with out all the Vets that helped Mayo last season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy" : You still have to cover as a safety, what is the safety's job.
    Posted by patriots44

It's also a RB's job to pass protect sometimes but would you expect Donald Brown(rookie RB,Colts) to block Vince Wilfolk's bull rush?Hell No! It's a complete mismatch. The same is true with Chung on single coverage in the slot against Sinorice Moss.The slot is the nickel CB's responsibilty.A Strong Safety is responsible for run support and covering the HB in the flat.FS and SS are two entirely different positions with different responsibilities.If a teams SS if the farthest guy down the field on pass coverage something went terribly wrong with the assignments.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The torch has been passed? what the he ll does that even mean? Jack sh*t thats what. I like Mayo but one good year doesnt sell me on the teams D being better with out all the Vets that helped Mayo last season.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Well you see, the thread asked about who the new leaders would be (you should know, you created it), so I provided my opinion.  Get it?

It means that BB and co think Mayo and Wilfork are the leaders of the defense, the "torch has been passed" to them, get it?  Save your tough guy act for someone esle.......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

tough guy act? ok whatever you say. I was just making teh point that too many people have put all their eggs in the Mayo basket. He is a 2nd year player and who knows if he can be the guy on this defense. Wilfork has been here and has been a captin the last two seasons so I wouldnt say the torch has been passed to him cause he has been a part of this defense for years. He is a good choice though as "the guy" but at the same time we dont know if he will be here beyond this year so I am not sold on him either. Maybe we wont have "the guy" this season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

tough guy act? ok whatever you say. I was just making teh point that too many people have put all their eggs in the Mayo basket. He is a 2nd year player and who knows if he can be the guy on this defense. Wilfork has been here and has been a captin the last two seasons so I wouldnt say the torch has been passed to him cause he has been a part of this defense for years. He is a good choice though as "the guy" but at the same time we dont know if he will be here beyond this year so I am not sold on him either. Maybe we wont have "the guy" this season.
    Posted by MVPkilla

No one should be putting Mayo in the HOF yet, but fans certainly have a reason to be excited about him, he's been a stud to this point.  The staff/teammates seem to feel the same way as they made him a captain.  This will be Wilforks second season as captain, so he clearly is a leader as well.  He's a FA after the season, yes, but they certainly still think highly of what he brings to the team/defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree that Mayo is a good player and I am excited to see him play out his career here but people seem to be cought up in the moment. Someone has one good game or one good season and we are so quick to say he will save us and I am just not sold yet. IS he a great player yes, could he be "the guy" yes but im not sure yet and also one player is not enough. We need a few clutch players on D to get back that Pats magic of old.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JPSox84. Show JPSox84's posts

Killing MVPs since 2001? Does that include the 2007 MVP Tom Brady? (see Superbowl)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I agree that Mayo is a good player and I am excited to see him play out his career here but people seem to be cought up in the moment. Someone has one good game or one good season and we are so quick to say he will save us and I am just not sold yet. IS he a great player yes, could he be "the guy" yes but im not sure yet and also one player is not enough. We need a few clutch players on D to get back that Pats magic of old.
    Posted by MVPkilla

No doubt a jump in takeaways and sacks would do wonders, yes. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

We used to have a swagger to this defense. A you cant come into our house and push us around kind of swagger and its not there anymore. Personally I think trading Seymore as great as teh draft pick is was a mistake. I think he had a good season left in him and he was the only 3 super bowl ring holding guy left on that D and we sent him packing. Warran has a few and Wilfork has one but no one else has any. Unless James Sanders has one I cant remember. I am not saying the D wont be good or well good enough but to me Belichick needs a Bruschi out on that field and Mayo might be that guy but he might not be. And even if he is who is the next guy? Bruschi was not the only guy Belichick had out on that field. He had Willie Mac, Vrabel, Rodney, Bruschi, Seymore, Ty Law, Asante, and even as far back as Milloy. He always had a few of "his guys" out on that field and I just dont see anyone on this defense who has that kind of football IQ. Maybe in a few years yes but right now no way. I just dont think we have enough veterans on this team. I like teh youth movement dont get me wrong but i like it to be mixed in with a stedy group of vets and we dont have that IMO

Sections
Shortcuts