Soap released??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Soap released??

Field Yates @FieldYates 42s

Releasing Isaac Sopoaga clears $3.5M in cap space for the Patriots. Team is currently in healthy position from cap standpoint for 2014.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Soap released??

In response to jjdbrasil's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Field Yates @FieldYates 42s

Releasing Isaac Sopoaga clears $3.5M in cap space for the Patriots. Team is currently in healthy position from cap standpoint for 2014.

[/QUOTE]

I think many here were suprised that this hadn't happened yesterday.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe 21s

Patriots will release Isaac Sopoaga, per source. First reported by @MikeReiss. Saves $3.5M in cap space.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Andrea Hangst ‏@FBALL_Andrea  1m  Patriots release Sopoaga just as  Revis is released... Well...  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Why did it take them so long? Seriously?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At the end of the day, why does it matter whether he was released yesterday or today?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

2.5... but still great move... an easy one... now, lets get some playmakers !!!!!

if Revis come, great, we will have a better secondary than last year, if not, lets get Bryant, browner, e.sanders

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

finally

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

[QUOTE]

At the end of the day, why does it matter whether he was released yesterday or today?

[/QUOTE]

Because it's FA period. Why waste time on a simple house cleaning when you had 2 months to do so? Not to mention it adds additional cap space so what if they actually were in on a FA but lost them because they were trying to make it work with the amount of space they have. I'm always on the notion if you are going to do something, do it and get prepared for the next step. Why waste time and effort later doing a task you know needs to get done if there are other things you need to worry about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

nope. only matters that it gets done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Revis Island coming to Gillette Stadium? Fingers crossed...not holding my breath. lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because it's FA period. Why waste time on a simple house cleaning when you had 2 months to do so? Not to mention it adds additional cap space so what if they actually were in on a FA but lost them because they were trying to make it work with the amount of space they have. I'm always on the notion if you are going to do something, do it and get prepared for the next step. Why waste time and effort doing a task you know needs to get done if there are other things you need to worry about right now.

[/QUOTE]

Who were they gonna drop $15M on yesterday?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Maybe this also means that they have some idea whether VW will restructure?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

we hardly knew ye

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because it's FA period. Why waste time on a simple house cleaning when you had 2 months to do so? Not to mention it adds additional cap space so what if they actually were in on a FA but lost them because they were trying to make it work with the amount of space they have. I'm always on the notion if you are going to do something, do it and get prepared for the next step. Why waste time and effort doing a task you know needs to get done if there are other things you need to worry about right now.

[/QUOTE]

Thy had 15 million in cap space before releasing Soap.  Waiting to release him hurt them not one bit; they probably waited until a big ticket item that they were interested in hit the market.  Hmm, what big ticket item just hit the FA market?

They were probably interested in holding onto him as Wilfork insurance unless they absolutely needed his cap space.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, why release him until you need the space? There's no benefit. Don't have to be under the cap right now anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Funny how he got cut minutes after Revis was cut. Coincidence? I think not!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most likely no one, just the engineer in me. Before I get into something I get my ducks in an order. Does anyone really think Soap was going to be on the team next year for $3.5mil so it makes you wonder why this wasn't taken care of sooner rather than later? What specifically caused them to hesistat on dumping Soap before FA began and should that be a concern moving forward that they wanted to hold on to him until now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most likely no one, just the engineer in me. Before I get into something I get my ducks in an order. Does anyone really think Soap was going to be on the team next year for $3.5mil so it makes you wonder why this wasn't taken care of sooner rather than later? What specifically caused them to hesistat on dumping Soap before FA began and should that be a concern moving forward that they wanted to hold on to him until now?

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the Pats now know what they intend to do with Wilfork?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, why release him until you need the space? There's no benefit. Don't have to be under the cap right now anyway.

[/QUOTE]

My feelings exactly. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That then bugs the question what has changed in the last week? Has something medically checked out with Wilfork or that there has been movement with contract talks? That's what makes Soap releasing right now curious. For such a simple house cleaning that everyone saw coming, what has happened in the last couple weeks that caused the Pats to hesistate about releasing him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, teams had to get under the 2014 cap (for top 51) by 4 pm yesterday.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That then bugs the question what has changed in the last week? Has something medically checked out with Wilfork or that there has been movement with contract talks? That's what makes Soap releasing right now curious. For such a simple house cleaning that everyone saw coming, what has happened in the last couple weeks that caused the Pats to hesistate about releasing him.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe they tried to trade him for a 7th and a box of Oreos or something. No takers, release him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because it's FA period. Why waste time on a simple house cleaning when you had 2 months to do so? Not to mention it adds additional cap space so what if they actually were in on a FA but lost them because they were trying to make it work with the amount of space they have. I'm always on the notion if you are going to do something, do it and get prepared for the next step. Why waste time and effort later doing a task you know needs to get done if there are other things you need to worry about.

[/QUOTE]

I think they are holding onto some of these contracts right now because basically they don't have to cut anyone until they sign someone. With a guy like Vince for instance - something needs to be done - but why rush while we can afford him? Why tell all the agents in football that we need to replace him? We can get Vince done when we need to.

Sections
Shortcuts