Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes?

In Response to Re: Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes?:
    Scarnechia has been given talent. I'd say he's had the lions share over the recent years. Solder and Mankins are 1sts, Vollmer is a 2nd, Cannon was a drop but he is a year removed from cancer and if Waters is back like last year that is a fairly stacked group. It may take a bit of time but I'm not buying that Scarnecchia is doing more with less this year. Get these guys a few games and get them healthy and I feel it could be a really good O-line.
    Posted by shenanigan

I agree, plenty of talent. It's pre season, these guys just need reps. Solder playing LT for the 1st time, Wendell,Thomas and Mcdonald playing all over. Connoly playing center and guard. Not much cohesion yet. 

I think the most important position to have stability is at center. The center calls out the protections, if he is unsure we are screwed from the beginning.

This is the main reason I think Koppen makes the team. For what he gives up in his diminishing physical ability he makes up for in experience.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes?

In Response to Re: Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes?:
    Someone mentioned that Scar and Belichick never fielded a team with an offensive line that was poor...not true. Belichick's first year here - when Armstrong was essentially coming off the knee injury - was a disaster. The second year it was shaky as well when Light was a rookie - we were aided by the fact that Brady could get the ball out very quickly on short passes and screens (two thing Bledsoe could never do). Matt Light also got lots of help from tight ends and backs chipping. I think this offense will become...screens, running the football, play action, reverses, and gimmicks until the line comes together. The thing that bother me a little bit is that they don't seem to be getting any push in the running either and I don't see that changing when Mankins comes back because of his knee. I imagine they're smart enough to figure things out, but I sure hope we don't fall behind in a game going into the fourth quarter.
    Posted by mthurl

i actually think that this will force them to be more varied and less predictable on o. i just hope that tb can still throw those quick short passes that rely on timing. 

i am not worried yet. they're still practicing with the other teams - not yet the time to show what they really got. if sea bass is out, i might quickly fall into panic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

A few of my thoughts about the OLine, specifically: -Under Scar and BB, NE has NEVER run out anything less than a 'solid' line. It simply hasn't happened. That, alone, makes me give them the benefit of the doubt until games start. Brady is annually one of the lesser sacked QBs. -I look at preseason football for OLineman like spring training baseball for pitchers. It's not always the results, sometimes you have to work on things, regardless of what the guy across from you is doing. Maybe Solder has been working on something specific with his footing. It wouldn't be so obvious to us fans, but it could impact his effectiveness while he's ironing some things out. The whole team needs reps. I heard Matt Chatham on the radio between games 1 and 2. According to him, when he compared how many practices teams used to hold, how many times guys could line up in pads in the past compared to what is allowed under the new CBA...he said, at that point after the first game, they had logged fewer practices by that point than previous teams had before the first preseason game. That seem confusing, basically, because of the new CBA, teams simply are not allowed to practice as frequently as years past. Younger players suffer more, and larger groups that need to work cohesively, like the OLine, I would expect to take longer to get going as well. Once the games matter, BB will work out game plans that minimize any flaws, and maximize their strengths, as he always does. If that means a lot of 3 step drops and back to the quick hitter offense, so be itm they certainly have the receivers to do it. To make a short answer longer, I wouldn't woryry about the OLine unil games matter and we start seeing Brady peel himself off the turf.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

all this being said, how many other o lines are getting killed.
    and how many bad hits does it take to damage brady?
    i dont want brady out there till we have mankins, vollmer and waters out there..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I still prefer Vereen to Ridley. I like Vereens speed and ability to score any time he touches the ball. Ridley to my eye is a grinder, and will play like Benny. Nothing wrong with that, buti prefer the scoring threat that Vereen is I look at the OL 1 thru 8 or 9 to draw conclusions. Last year Connolly was 6 and Solder 7 and a healthy Wendell maybe at 8. I think the Gallery situation really is a set back. This year 6,7,8 really drop off . I didn't like the Gregory signing at first. I still don't. Pats need playmakers in the back 4. Gregory is solid, but not a playmaker, and it appears that no one else is either. I think Lloyd is very solid. Not a star WR. How will he act if he doesn't get the targets he is used to? The play of the OL makes me think the Pats 3rd TE needs to be more an OL type. Fells isn't that type of player, and none of the Pats TE's are above average blockers Brace and Lovie have played better than I thought. Along with Vince, they should make this line a tough line to run against. It would not surprise me if Cunningham can stay healthy eventually replaces Nink and get more snaps. I also like Carpenter a lot. I never saw Stallworths talent translate onto the field, even in 2007, when he was eventually replaced by Gaffney as the 3rd WR option It would not surprise me to see Mesko in the pro bowl
    Posted by rkarp

interesting points. what do you think of cuningham. you really think hes worth it this year. i wonder if hes here only cause we dont have better. nd of how you feel abotu gregory. i guess my standards were so low, im fine with gregory. sure we need cover safetys and a top cb, but one hasnt been forthcoming for quite a while.

good post

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Pre-season is practice, it's for shaking off the rust. The O Line looked horrid in game 1, average to poor at times in game 2 and by the start of the regular season will be tops in the league once again.  They're working in new people, getting used to running the ball once again, reviving some old plays. Solder looked fine last night, a lot of the pressure was lack of execution or timing by the offense as a whole.  All this hand wringing is for naught...
    Posted by wozzy

no actually its for brady getting creamed. and any one hit can ruin a career.
    thans for your thoughts!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Ridley is far more explosive out of his cuts than BJGE. I really like the way Ridley runs. I like what I've seen frm Vereen too, but I think Ridley is the main back. Vereen is going to be more the change of pace, passing down guy I think.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Ridely can also catch the ball like a receiver....
    Posted by wozzy

agreed. i said that too in the preseason last year when some doubted.
    if bolden comes on we could have a better than avg trio in the future.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Someone mentioned that Scar and Belichick never fielded a team with an offensive line that was poor...not true. Belichick's first year here - when Armstrong was essentially coming off the knee injury - was a disaster. The second year it was shaky as well when Light was a rookie - we were aided by the fact that Brady could get the ball out very quickly on short passes and screens (two thing Bledsoe could never do). Matt Light also got lots of help from tight ends and backs chipping. I think this offense will become...screens, running the football, play action, reverses, and gimmicks until the line comes together. The thing that bother me a little bit is that they don't seem to be getting any push in the running either and I don't see that changing when Mankins comes back because of his knee. I imagine they're smart enough to figure things out, but I sure hope we don't fall behind in a game going into the fourth quarter.
    Posted by mthurl

i agree with all your assessments.
    however, with some of the better offenses in the league i dont know that we can count on not being behind going into the fourth.
    i want vollmer at left, solder at rt until or unless he becomes consistently dominant.
    waters in there. and to improve the line in fa and or draft.
    thanks for and excellent post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes? :      What's the mystery about the Pats' OL woes? Since the beginning of training camp, I've been pointing out that the chief concern on this team was the OL. But, I'm not tooting my own horn. With LT Matt Light retired, RG Brian Waters all but retired, OC Dan Koppen seemingly a shell of what he once was, LG Logan Mankins rehabbing from knee surgery, and RT Sebastien Vollmer's chronic bad back, a blind man could see that the OL was going to be a problem.      That said, I'm confident that new LT Nate Solder will eventually come around, that LG Logan Mankins will be ready to go, and that the Pats can find answers at OC and RG. RT is the main concern. Again, as I've been pointing out almost since the beginning of training camp, Marcus Cannon is not the answer there. His skill sets make him better suited to play RG, than RT. Getting Sebastien Vollmer back at 100% is key.
    Posted by TexasPat

"Getting Sebastien Vollmer back at 100% is key."

and waters game 1
    agreed, and you were right, about the offense
    cbs being decent to good this year is also critical for our defense (and our team)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I've always thought there was a little overconfidence among fans in Scarnecchia's ability to turn mediocre players into good ones.  Scarnecchia is a great coach who tends to get the most out of his line, but talent matters too. My opinion is that, throughout the Belichick years,  the Pats' O lines have  been just moderate in talent, especially at tackle.  Two things make them look better--good coaching (complemented by smart players who respond to good coaching) and Brady's ability to make quick decisions and read the rush while still focusing downfield.  Still, guys like Kaczur and Callaghan were not the league's best right tackles; most years, we've had some issues with either the talent or health of our guards; and left tackle and center, while relatively solid, have not always been top of class.  They make up for weaknesses in talent by good team play, but against the best D lines they have struggled significantly.  Both Giants Super Bowls are examples.  I firmly believe the line will be playing relatively well once the season starts, but I do have some reservations about how this line will fare against the best defensive fronts.  It still seems a bit short of (healthy) talent to me.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

"I've always thought there was a little over-confidence among fans in Scarnecchia's ability to turn mediocre players into good ones.  Scarnecchia is a great coach who tends to get the most out of his line, but talent matters too"

did you say this pro? (or did you hold back because you would get creamed by 100 posters calling you evil and the devil :)
    as you point out, so many repeated the phrase ingrained in our brain "scar the o line whisperer will make magic of our o line"

thanks for the post
    making it to the sb only to lose because another d line ruined our ability to operate our offense would be embarassing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Queue the entrance music for Brian Waters...
    Posted by BostonSportsFan111

damn right! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes? : Yes I saw this too, very frustrating. He was beating his man consistently, but just got held and the refs didn't call it. Does anyone know if there is a formal process for bringing things like this to the attention of the refs (if this continues into the regular season with the non-replacement refs)?
    Posted by aytee

yes i mentioned it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

What I saw: In case no one remembers the 1st Qtr last night, Tampa's 1's where stuffing our run like a Thanksgiving Turkey.  Our run game was inversely proportional to the level of talent Tampa had on the field.  By 2nd 1/2 we were dicing them. What's the problem: What I'm saying is this current O-Line not only couldn't protect Brady but they couldn't open any lanes for the running game either.  They pretty much suck. What's the solution: We need a healthy Seabass and Waters too return for starters and hopefully BB can find a few Roster Cut down OL in the next few weeks.
    Posted by tcal2-

thanks for telling it like it is without the rose colored glasses. we need a few guys like this on "our"  bdc team who are willing to do this, even if some or many, slam them/us  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

thanks for telling it like it is without the rose colored glasses. we need a few guys like this on "our" bdc team who are willing to do this, even if some or many, slam them/us :)

bredbru, that's the problem with this place, if you speak your mind people jump all over you. They'll say we won Super Bowls..we drafted Tom Brady...you can't criticize anything!! You are a troll!! You're not a fan! You're negative! It get's to the point were you find yourself not saying much.

The reason I come here is to talk football, not rah rah rah...we the best!! I however won't criticize Belichick as a coach or Brady as a player because I think they're the main reason why we've had success over the last ten years. I will criticize draft picks and free agent signings or players on the team that aren't playing like they're supposed to.

As for the line, I think Solder will be more than fine with time. I remember Light struggling mightily for years and I also remember all the help he needed against good pass rushers (there was a time I actually thought he was terrible). I worry about the middle of the line as much as the outside because Mankins probably won't be the player we're used to until next season and Waters may not be back. Vollmer is a guy I wouldn't count on staying healthy either and if that's the case it will absolutely kill us. Either way, I imagine the line will improve some as they get used to playing together, but they had better get all the guys that will be starting together soon. I think that is what's really important - if these guards and Vollmer are coming back - they need to practice together right now.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"maybe if gronk was powerlifting with top trainers all offseason and working on blocking technique instead of bedding teens allegedly in aruba he would be strong enough and have techniqe enough to not be overpowered. those who defend him for his age, ive been training all these years since i was a teen wihthout a pro football job. those who want to be dedicated to their craft, can be."

Bredbru

Ok, so now Gronk doesn't have the proper work ethic because he was beat on 1 play....not because he is a human being or anything. Hey maybe you could send Gronk an outline of your work out plan so he can figure out what it takes to have a real commitment to excellence.

Oh btw, if your above statement is an example of {keeping it real} so to speak I will choose to continue on with my rose colored glasses and see things in a positive light....seeing as how we have won more games then any team in NFL history over the last decade I guess my perception in this case is actually a reality.

1 more thing big cat. Can you please stop thanking everyboody for their posts. It really just annoys the he!! out of me....thanks for your post.

Mthurtl,

Sorry we all can't be on your page. Maybe later I'll drink a pint of kentucky bourbon for breakfast, pop a few barbiturates and get some clarity on how bad the outlook really is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe later I'll drink a pint of kentucky bourbon for breakfast, pop a few barbiturates and get some clarity on how bad the outlook really is.
    Posted by TrueChamp

If the only alternative for breakfast down there is grits, I'd do the same Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I have an alternative for those who won't drink the kool-aid.
    It's from Apocalypse Cakes. Enjoy!

Ingredients
    1 pack of grape Kool-Aid
    1 box of cake mix
    1 1/3 cups of water
    1/3 cup of vegetable oil
    3 large eggs

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 and think about how you’re going to keep it together tomorrow at work. Grease pan with shortening and flour lightly. Blend dry mix, water, oil, Kool-Aid and eggs in large bowl at low speed until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes and pour batter in pans. Bake for 32-35 minutes in one 13” x 9” pan. Cool completely before frosting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The real "problem" with this place is the knee jerk/hyper extreme reaction to everything.

Every new player is the next coming of Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders (see Demps, Ebner, Ebert), the players that have been playing well are now suddenly falling off (see Gronk, Solder, Chung?) and the sky seems to be falling EVERY pre-season, yet somehow we always seem to be OK.  Do you realize I've been here for over a decade doing this same song and dance in the pre-season?

How about a small spoonful of objectivity and relativity... that would be unique.  But I guess this board is a microcosm of society at large. 

And you guys do realize pre-season is practice right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Great post, Wozzy.  NE's main goal in pre-season is to avoid serious injuries.  So far Fletcher is the only guy that I'm aware of who has suffered season-ending one.  We've had a few other guys get dinged up, but hopefully it's nothing too serious.  The other goal is to get young guys valuable reps.  A guy like Cannon who has struggled to this point will take away some valuable lessons from these games and be a better player for it in the future.  Wozzy's right.  This is practice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes?":
    "maybe if gronk was powerlifting with top trainers all offseason and working on blocking technique instead of bedding teens allegedly in aruba he would be strong enough and have techniqe enough to not be overpowered. those who defend him for his age, ive been training all these years since i was a teen wihthout a pro football job. those who want to be dedicated to their craft, can be." Bredbru  Ok, so now Gronk doesn't have the proper work ethic because he was beat on 1 play....not because he is a human being or anything. Hey maybe you could send Gronk an outline of your work out plan so he can figure out what it takes to have a real commitment to excellence. Oh btw, if your above statement is an example of {keeping it real} so to speak I will choose to continue on with my rose colored glasses and see things in a positive light....seeing as how we have won more games then any team in NFL history over the last decade I guess my perception in this case is actually a reality. 1 more thing big cat. Can you please stop thanking everyboody for their posts. It really just annoys the he!! out of me....thanks for your post. Mthurtl, Sorry we all can't be on your page. Maybe later I'll drink a pint of kentucky bourbon for breakfast, pop a few barbiturates and get some clarity on how bad the outlook really is. Posted by TrueChamp
    Bawahahaha!! That's pretty good. I think though you prove a point...you can't say anything around here without the koolaiders jumping the gun.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes?":
    The real "problem" with this place is the knee jerk/hyper extreme reaction to everything. Every new player is the next coming of Jerry Rice or Barry Sanders (see Demps, Ebert), the players that have been playing well are now suddenly falling off (see Gronk, Solder, Chung?) and the sky seems to be falling EVERY pre-season, yet somehow we always seem to be OK.  Do you realize I've been here for over a decade doing this same song and dance in the pre-season? How about a small spoonful of objectivity and relativity... that would be unique.  But I guess this board is a microcosm of society at large.  And you guys do realize pre-season is practice right? Posted by wozzy
    It is pre season and I think you're right - it doesn't mean a whole lot, but I would have to say there is some concern with the line. I thought this before training camp started, you don't lose your starting left tackle and top guard to a knee injury and expect everything to be fine, if you do, then you probably drink too much koolaid. I think Solder has a bunch of talent, but it will take time...Vollmer's back worries me. But your absolutely right, you have to really be able to see things on a football field to evaluate how a team will be during pre season play because everything is so misleading. I don't think that's the case wi this offensive line right now - they are bad - but they can only get better. The question is, will the QB survive behind it long enough to see them improve?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Everybody here thinks they're level headed, but I'm the only one who actually is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: Solder and Cannon and the O line struggling this bad i didnt foresee.... what are your notes? : " 4. It's not often that Gronkowski is overpowered at the point of attack, but credit goes to Bucs defensive end George Johnson for locking him out and making a play on the fourth and short situation in which the Patriots attempted a strong side run off the hip of Gronkowski. Johnson worked up the field and stopped Stevan Ridley in his tracks, short of a first down." maybe if gronk was powerlifting with top trainers all offseason and working on blocking technique instead of bedding teens allegedly in aruba he would be strong enough and have techniqe enough to not be overpowered. those who defend him for his age, ive been training all these years since i was a teen wihthout a pro football job. those who want to be dedicated to their craft, can be. Posted by bredbru
    So why aren't you a professional football player? Doesn't sound like what you're doing is working, maybe you should ask Gronk advice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Watching the game now.  It's not that bad.  Missed assignments, mis-communication, it's all fixable.  Maybe it's better people are getting after us this early.  This is the new blueprint for beating the Patriots.  Just like BB going for it on 4th and 2 on his own 30, NOW is the time to get this fixed, because THESE GAMES DONT COUNT.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What everybody is overlooking is that Tampa, especially their first team, will be much improved over last year. They had an extraordinary amount of injuries to their defense last year. They've spent a plethora of their draft picks on defense and their head coach is a defensive coordinator.  Let's not take anything away from them, they looked impressive last night.  When they stuffed the run it was the offense's job to exploit the pass... they didn't. Also I think there's a difference between Ridely/Bolden and their running style vs Vereen/Woody/Demps running.  Don't get me wrong Tampa's D would have stuffed the run regardless, they were attacking on every down. Rkarp I don't know where you get 16th ranking for our offensive line, or your inside info as to whether Water's will return, I happen to think Belichick told him to take the pre-season off and he'll be walking through that door. Even if he doesn't Cannon can slide over, Vollmer can play tackle and we don't skip a beat. Saying Gronk and Fells cant block is ludicrous... Posted by wozzy
    Woozy, You said Pats have pro bowl players across the line. I said that if ranking individual players along the line, using the #16 ranking as the "average player", that Connolly, Wendell and Solder would rank below #16 in the ranking. I also think Gronk is average at best as a blocker, and that Hernandez is non existent as a blocker. I have not seen a lot of Fells as a blocker, but it seems that he was pulled for Graham in blocking situations. Your last statement saying that Cannon can slide over and replace Waters makes me question not only your football acumen, but your sanity.

Sections
Shortcuts