Solder and Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Solder and Mallett

First pre-season game so it is what it is. However 2 veterans, who have no excuses, really embarrassed themselves last night.

Solder, yes I acknowledge I have picked on him from day one so I'm not a fan. A converted TE who was not a game ready T when drafted continues to play like a converted TE not ready for prime time. He didn't have a bad game, he was putrid.

Mallett, nobody bit harder on the Mallett will be traded for a big time draft pick than me. For a guy going into his 4th season he looked totally clueless in the pocket and whatever trade value he had....he has none after last night. Those that said Mallett wasn't worthy of a high draft pick have been proven correct. The only thing he proved last night that if TB did go down he is NOT ready or able to step in at QB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Solder and Mallett

Don't share your view of Solder overall but he was not at all good last night.

Mallett, however, was awful when he had to make short or long throws.  Mid-range passes looked pretty sharp much of the time.  He's a bit of a head-scratcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Solder played poorly last night but one bad pre-season game doesn't mean he won't return to being  a solid LT again this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First pre-season game so it is what it is. However 2 veterans, who have no excuses, really embarrassed themselves last night.

Solder, yes I acknowledge I have picked on him from day one so I'm not a fan. A converted TE who was not a game ready T when drafted continues to play like a converted TE not ready for prime time. He didn't have a bad game, he was putrid.

Mallett, nobody bit harder on the Mallett will be traded for a big time draft pick than me. For a guy going into his 4th season he looked totally clueless in the pocket and whatever trade value he had....he has none after last night. Those that said Mallett wasn't worthy of a high draft pick have been proven correct. The only thing he proved last night that if TB did go down he is NOT ready or able to step in at QB.

[/QUOTE]

Pats fans annually over-rate the o-line for some reason. Last year's edition was sub par again as TB was sacked and pressured way too often. in addition, when it comes time during the game for the o-line to generate a run game, they fail miserably. Solder has trouble with athletic DE's and invariably gets pancaked once a game. The o-line is my biggest concern, followed by lack of qb pressure from the D, followed by lack of outside receivers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Seems like this is a good thread to bump, given the recent discussions about Solder . . . 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Oh and Mallet looked like he's always looked.  I still don't understand why some posters seem to think this guy is any good.  He's never showed anything other than the ability to wing the ball downfield really hard.

I still think they will keep three QBs, but after last night you have to wonder whether cutting Mallet would be a good move and just going with Garappolo as back up and keeping Brady Quinn on speed dial.  The always-crazy notion of trading Mallet for anything valuable can now be put to rest, I think.  They'd be very lucky to get a sixth or seventh round pick for him.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Solder looked awful last night but he looked awful the last couple years of early preseason play. Maybe he's just a slow starter and needs time to knock the off season rust off. Not everyone is perfect the 1st preseason games out. Now if he looks the same by the end of the 3rd preseason game I'll start to get worried. 

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Solder looked awful last night but he looked awful the last couple years of early preseason play. Maybe he's just a slow starter and needs time to knock the off season rust off. Not everyone is perfect the 1st preseason games out. Now if he looks the same by the end of the 3rd preseason game I'll start to get worried. 

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, though, Solder gives up too many pressures in the regular season too.  I really have high hopes for the kid, but he's not developing into an elite tackle as fast as I had expected.  His ceiling may be no more than average starting left tackle.  I had really hoped he would be one of the best in the league, and I know it takes a few years for guys to get really good at that position, but this is year four and he's still not looking better than average to me. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Solder was terrible last night, he couldn't block anyone. I would say overall throughout his career he's been solid, nothing more, nothing less. Honestly I was expecting him to be a great player, we traded a very good player to get him, at position that is important...hopefully Solder will improve, but last night didn't look promising.

As for Mallett, the guy is a human jugs machine, that's it. He locks on to one guy, doesn't anticipate well, rushes his throws, and holds on too long on others. And that throw into the receiver's feet that we all saw last night is not unusual for him, he's done that ever since he got here. It makes me laugh how one person has run around here for four years saying we "stole" Mallett and that Lombardi said the guy was a "top 15 talent". But that's nowhere as funny as watching him say that last year Cleveland was going to give us the 7th overall selection in the draft in exchange for Mallett. Now that was some funny stuff. A waste of a 3rd round pick...that's all he is. Last night was his golden opportunity, he has three days of practice going against that team (and that team also was terrible against the pass last year).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh and Mallet looked like he's always looked.  I still don't understand why some posters seem to think this guy is any good.  He's never showed anything other than the ability to wing the ball downfield really hard.

I still think they will keep three QBs, but after last night you have to wonder whether cutting Mallet would be a good move and just going with Garappolo as back up and keeping Brady Quinn on speed dial.  The always-crazy notion of trading Mallet for anything valuable can now be put to rest, I think.  They'd be very lucky to get a sixth or seventh round pick for him.  

[/QUOTE]

THAT POP YOU HEARD

was my

BALLOON

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Outside of one tremendously tricky outing against Denver, Solder delivered an extremely consistent season, grading in the green 10 times throughout the year. With the size and strength to get push in the run game and a strong pass blocker, Solder answered the question as to whether he could be the long-term replacement to Matt Light.

Best Performance: Week 4, NE @ ATL, +6.3

Key Stat: Solder allowed 35 combined sacks, hits and hurries throughout the regular season. Of all left tackles who had 500 pass blocking snaps that was sixth-best.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/

So the guy who graded out last year as being in the top 1/3 of the league at his position has now become a bum because he had a bad pre-season game.... got it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Solder was terrible last night, he couldn't block anyone. I would say overall throughout his career he's been solid, nothing more, nothing less. Honestly I was expecting him to be a great player, we traded a very good player to get him, at position that is important...hopefully Solder will improve, but last night didn't look promising.

As for Mallett, the guy is a human jugs machine, that's it. He locks on to one guy, doesn't anticipate well, rushes his throws, and holds on too long on others. And that throw into the receiver's feet that we all saw last night is not unusual for him, he's done that ever since he got here. It makes me laugh how one person has run around here for four years saying we "stole" Mallett and that Lombardi said the guy was a "top 15 talent". But that's nowhere as funny as watching him say that last year Cleveland was going to give us the 7th overall selection in the draft in exchange for Mallett. Now that was some funny stuff. A waste of a 3rd round pick...that's all he is. Last night was his golden opportunity, he has three days of practice going against that team (and that team also was terrible against the pass last year).

[/QUOTE]
    If Cleveland was going to give the 7th overall pick for Mallett, and they did NOT do that . Mallett throws are fast no touch. His feet are never planted. He is all arm no technique. One play that came to mind for me was the screen pass where thr RB was open in the flat nobody around and he over threw him by 2 yards. Plays like that make a difference in his staus. He does not know how to slow the game down.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

There's really no reason to complain about established players in preseason.  Solder is fine.  Mallett on the other hand you are free to flame away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

but this is year four and he's still not looking better than average to me. 

I think this is a little harsh.  Not sure he'll ever be an all-pro, but he is easily above average imo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Solder is a very solid left tackle.  He had an off game last night for the preseason opener.  I wouldn't panic about that.  He'll be fine when the season begins and all the starters are in.  Don't forget we had a ton of starters not play last night.  Not an indicator of the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Solder will be fine.

In defense of Mallett, he doesn't have the coaching staff (meaning O-Coord, QB coach) to coach this kid up.  Brady had Weis here, who helped built that 'foundation'  This was huge for Brady's career and Brady took the baton and ran with it of course.

Mallett not so much, I know some of this is on Mallett too, but I feel some of this is on the O-coord/QB coach too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

but this is year four and he's still not looking better than average to me. 

[/QUOTE]

I think this is a little harsh.  Not sure he'll ever be an all-pro, but he is easily above average imo.

[/QUOTE]

That may be fair, but honestly I did expect him to be more more of an all-pro type.  Maybe I just had expectations that were too high, but given his athleticism and size I expected him to be a perennial Pro Bowler. / All-Pro, and I'm not seeing that yet.

I actually think he's excellent as a run blocker.  My concern is that he seems to lose to pass rushers more than I'd like.  Mankins does bail him out a lot. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

THAT POP YOU HEARD

was my

BALLOON

BDC Pats Forum Gold Medal Award winning comment of the the day to seawolfxs

poor Mike Mayock - gonna be tough to be him this week

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Outside of one tremendously tricky outing against Denver, Solder delivered an extremely consistent season, grading in the green 10 times throughout the year. With the size and strength to get push in the run game and a strong pass blocker, Solder answered the question as to whether he could be the long-term replacement to Matt Light.

Best Performance: Week 4, NE @ ATL, +6.3

Key Stat: Solder allowed 35 combined sacks, hits and hurries throughout the regular season. Of all left tackles who had 500 pass blocking snaps that was sixth-best.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/

So the guy who graded out last year as being in the top 1/3 of the league at his position has now become a bum because he had a bad pre-season game.... got it!

[/QUOTE]

You're a quick study - good that you're getting with the program. ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who noticed that Malllet was a bit agitated in his presser and looked anxious to go smoke a fat blunt? Well thats the impression I got. I guess its better than him doing the real Dope.

He looked like a guy who just got smacked with a dose of reality. Hopefully the stellar play of Grap gives him a sense of urgency. These games could make or break his career.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    If Cleveland was going to give the 7th overall pick for Mallett, and they did NOT do that . Mallett throws are fast no touch. His feet are never planted. He is all arm no technique. One play that came to mind for me was the screen pass where thr RB was open in the flat nobody around and he over threw him by 2 yards. Plays like that make a difference in his staus. He does not know how to slow the game down.

[/QUOTE]

The Ol' Bledsoe syndrome. This is what Brady did easily and made Drew expendable. Drew had a cannon arm but couldnt hit RBs out in the flat....smh

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just can't figure what one poster u are referring to...no clue as who could be that stupid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to fanonymost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

THAT POP YOU HEARD

was my

BALLOON

BDC Pats Forum Gold Medal Award winning comment of the the day to seawolfxs

poor Mike Mayock - gonna be tough to be him this week

[/QUOTE]

Well I have been Pro Mallet  - last nite was his chance - and showed he hasnt learned anything when he is in at least a game - his mechanics fall apart. I think there may be a light in there some where, but it may never go on

So I have to do my mea culpa, I will still root for him , but its hard to mend a popped baloon

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply do not agree with the Mallett comments here.

I have seen what Mayock saw. (not at the same time, I was not in Wash).

Mallett can make all the throws. He can move in the pocket.

But...he is miscast in this offense. Mallett is more like MStafford than TB. This offense is tailored to TB, not Stafford or Mallett.

Mallett needs a WR like AJGreen or CJohnson. Some one who can get after a pass. He is not going to put each and every pass on the spot like TB.

It would not surprise me in the least if MAllett is a really good QB for another team. But it wont be here, in this offense.

That is why BB drafted Jimmy Garrop. He is the guy BB feels can play in this offense better than the other QB's that were going to be available this year and next. That doesn't mean Jimmy is better than the QB's drafted ahead of him, but for this offense, he is.

Re SOlder. Get used to it, he is getting $25M guaranteed over the next few years

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mallett has 4 NFL snaps under his belt.

Sections
Shortcuts