Solder and Mallett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Solder and Mallett

rkarp, many of us on this thread spoke to how Mallett looked in last night's game.  Surely you don't disagree that he did not look good last night.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

rkarp, many of us on this thread spoke to how Mallett looked in last night's game.  Surely you don't disagree that he did not look good last night.

I thought he was ok. He made some really good throws, he made a couple that were not good (2). I did not think that his WR's did him any favors with some mis read routes. I thought Mallett was under pressure most of the half, and he does not have a quick release.

I have seen Mallett play really well, last night he didn't. I think in the right system, he is an immense talent. Unfortunately, the system Mallett would excel in, TB would not. THis is TB's system, not Malletts 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I simply do not agree with the Mallett comments here.

I have seen what Mayock saw. (not at the same time, I was not in Wash).

Mallett can make all the throws. He can move in the pocket.

But...he is miscast in this offense. Mallett is more like MStafford than TB. This offense is tailored to TB, not Stafford or Mallett.

Mallett needs a WR like AJGreen or CJohnson. Some one who can get after a pass. He is not going to put each and every pass on the spot like TB.

It would not surprise me in the least if MAllett is a really good QB for another team. But it wont be here, in this offense.

That is why BB drafted Jimmy Garrop. He is the guy BB feels can play in this offense better than the other QB's that were going to be available this year and next. That doesn't mean Jimmy is better than the QB's drafted ahead of him, but for this offense, he is.

Re SOlder. Get used to it, he is getting $25M guaranteed over the next few years

I agree with you about Garropolo fitting the Patriots offense better than Mallett.  But regarding needing AJ Green or Calvin Johnson, what QB wouldn't want them to throw to?   And you didn't do Mallett any favors comparing him to Stafford who can be an Interception Machine with 20 of them last year and that's with Calvin Johnson on his team.  In comparison TB had only 11 Interceptions and his main guy was Edelman for most of the year. 

I haven't seen Mallett close up but he hasn't shown much at all and I agree with those that think he is a human throwing machine.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I been wishing for an upgrade at the LT position for a few years now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

First pre-season game so it is what it is. However 2 veterans, who have no excuses, really embarrassed themselves last night.

Solder, yes I acknowledge I have picked on him from day one so I'm not a fan. A converted TE who was not a game ready T when drafted continues to play like a converted TE not ready for prime time. He didn't have a bad game, he was putrid.

Mallett, nobody bit harder on the Mallett will be traded for a big time draft pick than me. For a guy going into his 4th season he looked totally clueless in the pocket and whatever trade value he had....he has none after last night. Those that said Mallett wasn't worthy of a high draft pick have been proven correct. The only thing he proved last night that if TB did go down he is NOT ready or able to step in at QB.

Mallett has 4 NFL snaps under his belt.

How many snaps did Jimmy Garoppolo have under his belt before last night?

Again, nobody ran around drinking the Mallett Kool Aid more than me. Some of you may remember I came on here and stated in 2011 that the Patriots would use one of their 3rd rounders on Ryan Mallett in that draft....I took a beating but I was right on. I have been a believer ever since that we would triple our investment with him in a trade.

It ain't there. A system doesn't make you throw into the dirt. A system doesn't make you show zero pocket presence. This was Mallett's big chance. I'm not being ticky tacky here....he was butt awful, sorry he was.

He's removed any trade value had had. He may have even given Jimmy Garoppolo a legit window to be the # 2 guy and cause himself to be a cut down player if the Pats don't carry 3 QBs.

He better look like Bart Starr next week or Michael Corleone will send his regards come September.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NCPatsFan1971's comment:

But...he is miscast in this offense. Mallett is more like MStafford than TB. This offense is tailored to TB, not Stafford or Mallett.

Mallett needs a WR like AJGreen or CJohnson. Some one who can get after a pass. He is not going to put each and every pass on the spot like TB.

It would not surprise me in the least if MAllett is a really good QB for another team. But it wont be here, in this offense.

That is why BB drafted Jimmy Garrop. He is the guy BB feels can play in this offense better than the other QB's that were going to be available this year and next. That doesn't mean Jimmy is better than the QB's drafted ahead of him, but for this offense, he is.

Re SOlder. Get used to it, he is getting $25M guaranteed over the next few years

I agree with you about Garropolo fitting the Patriots offense better than Mallett.  But regarding needing AJ Green or Calvin Johnson, what QB wouldn't want them to throw to?   And you didn't do Mallett any favors comparing him to Stafford who can be an Interception Machine with 20 of them last year and that's with Calvin Johnson on his team.  In comparison TB had only 11 Interceptions and his main guy was Edelman for most of the year. 

I haven't seen Mallett close up but he hasn't shown much at all and I agree with those that think he is a human throwing machine.  

my reference to those players was needing a player than can go up and win a battle for the pass. the PAts do not have those types of WR's. They don't need them, as they run very precise and quick routes, and TB puts the ball on the dime, every time.

Mallett needs more time for the route to establish, and he will put the ball in the vicinity of the WR and allow the WR to make the play. The PAts offense does not have a lot of plays that allow the WR to make a play, because they don't have those types of WR's. Mallett needs to be in that type of offense.

If you run that type of offense, int's are part of the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I get your point and I disagree, in my opinion the offense that he has played in during these preseason games aren't exactly our offensive scheme. These are plain/dumb down, vanilla plays, and yet he has shown nothing in four years - he should of showed something. I can't make one single excuse for the guy last night, he was going against a team he had practiced against all week, yet he still threw balls in the dirt and locked onto one guy all night. This is not a rookie, he has had four years to learn under Brady and Belichick and yet he still can't look off anyone?? Watch his head, it doesn't move...watch his eyes, they are stuck on one guy. I don't care what kind of offense you're in, you can't play like that. And never mind the fact that he seems to have no pocket presence. This guy has no anticipation to his game and you need that, you have to anticipate that certain things are going to happen, before they happen...it's as if one deviation from the original play screws him all up.

He will get his chance somewhere - he has to with an arm like that - and I wouldn't be shocked if did alright for a little while, but this is no quality starting quarterback we are talking about here. I could care less what Mayock says about him, he's as wrong as everyone else regarding the draft...which isn't bad because we all know how hard it is to predict these players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

First pre-season game so it is what it is. However 2 veterans, who have no excuses, really embarrassed themselves last night.

Solder, yes I acknowledge I have picked on him from day one so I'm not a fan. A converted TE who was not a game ready T when drafted continues to play like a converted TE not ready for prime time. He didn't have a bad game, he was putrid.

Mallett, nobody bit harder on the Mallett will be traded for a big time draft pick than me. For a guy going into his 4th season he looked totally clueless in the pocket and whatever trade value he had....he has none after last night. Those that said Mallett wasn't worthy of a high draft pick have been proven correct. The only thing he proved last night that if TB did go down he is NOT ready or able to step in at QB.

Mallett has 4 NFL snaps under his belt.

How many snaps did Jimmy Garoppolo have under his belt before last night?

Again, nobody ran around drinking the Mallett Kool Aid more than me. Some of you may remember I came on here and stated in 2011 that the Patriots would use one of their 3rd rounders on Ryan Mallett in that draft....I took a beating but I was right on. I have been a believer ever since that we would triple our investment with him in a trade.

It ain't there. A system doesn't make you throw into the dirt. A system doesn't make you show zero pocket presence. This was Mallett's big chance. I'm not being ticky tacky here....he was butt awful, sorry he was.

He's removed any trade value had had. He may have even given Jimmy Garoppolo a legit window to be the # 2 guy and cause himself to be a cut down player if the Pats don't carry 3 QBs.

He better look like Bart Starr next week or Michael Corleone will send his regards come September.....

Jimmy G had a very nice half against guys that will not be playing in the NFL, and did not have a game plan. Jimmy is a first round talent, that in the right system could be a pro bowler. I would have expected him to play well.

I have seen him a number of times however, playing against an NFL secondary, granted, maybe the best one in the NFL this year. He was horrible. He is not ready.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

On QBs

Have to pass on Mallett - Reid wssnt as critical and neither are you. I only can see what is there for the Pats. I ccannot tell you whether or not its this system or not - but open players have to be hit. But what you are saying his that his "light" may go on somewhsre else  - ok

its really funny JG su all week and looks god - albeit against 3rd team and he seems to pony up

On lbs

Anderson - you said that you thought he would be cut.., I asked who was ahead of him? Some o the beat       wroters said he was bad. It seems your assessmetn o wht you saw was corroborated, but unless there is some one better he may not get cut??

On the Oline - this is worrying me a little - but Solder will be ok

On the Dline -

Buchanan is worrying me, and if jones and easly dont get back , the depth and the rotation wont be there

wE may really need our new cbs alotOn TE 

Jones    - he showed nothing much-

Overall, way too early, but unfortuneately all of the pre seaon worries are still there, I am quite sure that we will gt to the PO's but against the top teams, both Olinbe and Dline and lbs, have to be better than this

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Here is Solder's deal. Reasonable this year. Take a long look at 2015 numbers and his CAP number. Look at the CAP savings if he gets whacked.

The Pat's allowed Brady to be sacked more than double the rate that manning was sacked in Denver....we all saw it. Solder was not an innocent bystander.

He simply must be better as he's at the most important position on the O line on a passing offense. He was after all the 17th pick overall in 2011.

If his 2014 season is equal to his 2013 season.....he will never see a penny of the 7+ million in 2015.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Here is Solder's deal. Reasonable this year. Take a long look at 2015 numbers and his CAP number. Look at the CAP savings if he gets whacked.

The Pat's allowed Brady to be sacked more than double the rate that manning was sacked in Denver....we all saw it. Solder was not an innocent bystander.

He simply must be better as he's at the most important position on the O line on a passing offense. He was after all the 17th pick overall in 2011.

If his 2014 season is equal to his 2013 season.....he will never see a penny of the 7+ million in 2015.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots

that is simply not true. PFF had Solder as a top 5 pass blocker in the entire NFL last year. It would not surprise me in the least if the Pats extend Solder with a monster deal, and if they cannot work it out, pay him his money next year AND franchise him the year after

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

It would not surprise me in the least if the Pats extend Solder with a monster deal, and if they cannot work it out, pay him his money next year AND franchise him the year after

Solder is going to be the new Mankins on this board once he gets resigned.  Book it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

It would not surprise me in the least if the Pats extend Solder with a monster deal, and if they cannot work it out, pay him his money next year AND franchise him the year after

Solder is going to be the new Mankins on this board once he gets resigned.  Book it.

will he get a name that annoys all of us, like "Mankie" did? you can include "Welkie" in that annoys us comment as well

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots

that is simply not true. PFF had Solder as a top 5 pass blocker in the entire NFL last year. It would not surprise me in the least if the Pats extend Solder with a monster deal, and if they cannot work it out, pay him his money next year AND franchise him the year after

If he plays 2014 like he played 2013 you remain convinced he's a 7 million dollar a year player in 2015?

Not feeling it. The NFL is brutal, you are only as good as your last game. He was AVERAGE in 2013 and if he's AVERAGE in 2014 he ain't getting the 7+ million in 2015. Average players don't make 7 million per in the NFL.

I don't care who says he's a top anything, my eyes function well. Remember, Mayock had Mallett pegged as a sure top starter in the NFL.

The Pats O line let Brady down too many times last year. I realize that sometimes it's easier to deny the truth than accept it but Solder had a hand in poor O line play last year and it's past due for him to step up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

will he get a name that annoys all of us, like "Mankie" did? you can include "Welkie" in that annoys us comment as well

Unfortunately "Soldie" doesn't have as nice of a ring to is at "Mankie" and "Welkie".  And I don't think "Natie" is as good as "Logie" either.  Whatever are we going to do?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots

If he plays 2014 like he played 2013 you remain convinced he's a 7 million dollar a year player in 2015?

Not feeling it. The NFL is brutal, you are only as good as your last game. He was AVERAGE in 2013 and if he's AVERAGE in 2014 he ain't getting the 7+ million in 2015. Average players don't make 7 million per in the NFL.

I don't care who says he's a top anything, my eyes function well. Remember, Mayock had Mallett pegged as a sure top starter in the NFL.

The Pats O line let Brady down too many times last year. I realize that sometimes it's easier to deny the truth than accept it but Solder had a hand in poor O line play last year and it's past due for him to step up.

I understand. you feel that Solder played sub par and was average last year. All I am saying is that PFF graded him out in the top 5 of all LT's in the NFL last year.

Now, we can accept your opinion on his play, you are as entitled as any of us to an opinion, or we can accept the PFF grading system. Certainly not infallible, but usually fairly accurate

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots

I understand. you feel that Solder played sub par and was average last year. All I am saying is that PFF graded him out in the top 5 of all LT's in the NFL last year.

Now, we can accept your opinion on his play, you are as entitled as any of us to an opinion, or we can accept the PFF grading system. Certainly not infallible, but usually fairly accurate

I respect your opinion for sure. But for me, if he don't step up this year I would take his 7 million and put it towards the mega deal it will take to keep Revis here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots

I respect your opinion for sure. But for me, if he don't step up this year I would take his 7 million and put it towards the mega deal it will take to keep Revis here.

then who are your tackles? Vollmer is usually injured, and Cannon is a free agent after this year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots" rel="nofollow">http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Nate%20Solder&Position=LT&Team=Patriots

then who are your tackles? Vollmer is usually injured, and Cannon is a free agent after this year

Have not the Pats done a super job bringing in O line guys when needed and there are always Vets out there looking for a year or two deal.

Let's see how he plays this year, he steps up he gets the 7+ mil. He don't...his deal gets looked at.

We have other deals coming and Revis will get a mega deal. You can't give Solder 7+ million if he can't protect Brady's blind side from pass rushing DE's...he has and is struggling with that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Outside of one tremendously tricky outing against Denver, Solder delivered an extremely consistent season, grading in the green 10 times throughout the year. With the size and strength to get push in the run game and a strong pass blocker, Solder answered the question as to whether he could be the long-term replacement to Matt Light.

Best Performance: Week 4, NE @ ATL, +6.3

Key Stat: Solder allowed 35 combined sacks, hits and hurries throughout the regular season. Of all left tackles who had 500 pass blocking snaps that was sixth-best.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/13/pffs-top-101-of-2013-80-to-71/

So the guy who graded out last year as being in the top 1/3 of the league at his position has now become a bum because he had a bad pre-season game.... got it!

[object HTMLDivElement]

No place for this type of logic on this forum.  They will take you to the woodshed for this one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I go more by what I see watching the games and coaches film than what PFF says.  I think Solder is an excellent run blocker, but I think he lets too many DEs and OLBs get buy him.  Of course no left tackle is going to win every battle, but the really good ones don't give up too many sacks too easily.  I see him give up one or two easy sacks or pressures almost every game.  It's those easy sacks that bother me.  For those of you who have the game film sold by the NFL, go back to the AFC championship and look at the sack at 3:41 in the second quarter and you'll see what I think we see too much of. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I go more by what I see watching the games and coaches film than what PFF says.  I think Solder is an excellent run blocker, but I think he lets too many DEs and OLBs get buy him.  Of course no left tackle is going to win every battle, but the really good ones don't give up too many sacks too easily.  I see him give up one or two easy sacks or pressures almost every game.  It's those easy sacks that bother me.  For those of you who have the game film sold by the NFL, go back to the AFC championship and look at the sack at 3:41 in the second quarter and you'll see what I think we see too much of. 

• [object HTMLDivElement]

It seems to me that if the 1 or 2 sacks or pressures you say you see every game is good for 6th best in the league then it stands to reason that Solder is good at what he does.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

It seems to me that if the 1 or 2 sacks or pressures you say you see every game is good for 6th best in the league then it stands to reason that Solder is good at what he does.

• Go back and look at the film I mentioned and how he gets eaten alive by the swim move put on him. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Go back and look at the film I mentioned and how he gets eaten alive by the swim move put on him. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

Seems like guys would do it more if it works so well. I mean 6th best in the league is 6th best in the league is it not?

If a guy is getting eaten alive you would think he would be in the bottom 6 in the league and not the top?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Go back and look at the film I mentioned and how he gets eaten alive by the swim move put on him. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Seems like guys would do it more if it works so well. I mean 6th best in the league is 6th best in the league is it not?

If a guy is getting eaten alive you would think he would be in the bottom 6 in the league and not the top?

[/QUOTE]

Did you actually look at the film?  Look, I like Solder.  I still have very high hopes for him.  His athleticism is something I think we need on the line.  But I can't lie.  I've been disappointed by him letting guys get by him a bit more frequently than I'd like.  In his first two years I tended to excuse those lapses understanding that it takes a while for a LT to get used to the high-quality pass rushers he has to face in the NFL.  But last year was his third year an it bothered me he got beat as often as he did.  It's not like he's terrible.  He's really pretty good.  But I was hoping he'd be better.  I was hoping he'd be an All Pro.  As it is, I'd say he's good, but not quite elite.  That doesn't mean we should cut him.  He's not awful and he still has a lot of potential, but he's not yet elite and, honestly, I was hoping he would be elite.  I think he has the physical skills to be elite, but right now he's just getting fooled a little too much to be elite. 

I'm not saying that team is a disaster.  I still renewed my season tickets.  All I'm saying is I would like to see just a bit more from Solder.  

Why do you have such problems with an honest assessment of a player?  It's not like I'm saying the Pats suck.  Or even Solder sucks.  All I'm saying is I think he's still shy of elite . . . and I had expectations that he might be elite.  I think that highly of his physical skills.

• Sections
    Shortcuts