Solder at guard?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

Solder at guard?

It seems the Pats are giving him reps at guard over Connely. Seems a bit strange...What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Re: Solder at guard?

BB on Solder practicing at guard: “We’re going to look at players at a lot of different positions, like we always do so we have depth on our roster,” he said. “We only take seven linemen to a game; you’ve got to double up.”

Sounds like he wants linemen able to play more than one position--makes senseto me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Solder is probably a better guard than Connely right now.  He can get reps at a new position and build depth while Matt Light is keeping the LT spot warm for him.  Makes all the sense in the world to me, you want your best players on the field. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

BB does this with all his lineman during camp.

He works his T's in the TE position and in the G postion
    His G's in the T position and in the C position
    His C's as CB's.... well maybe not that last one but you get the point

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I doubt he's trying to turn Solder into a guard, but he does want guys who have some versatility in case of injury. Also, if Solder can play guard ocassionally, he may get some more chances to get on the field while he's still developing his skills. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

It's not that it doesn't make sense, but the two biggest knocks on him are his strength and his tendancy to play high. If this is for depth, I like it, but I'm not sure I want to see him starting over Connely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Not a bad idea to get some expereince at guard. If someone goes down, someonecan come in

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

same premise as trying kaszur at guard last year- get your best guys in the game- lets hope the result isnt the same

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Solder at guard?:
    It seems the Pats are giving him reps at guard over Connely. Seems a bit strange...What do you guys think?
    Posted by e4smith

Bill may want to put his 5 best Olinemen on the field at the same time when the season starts.  Just a thought.  This coach isn't affraid to try something new and different.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Solder at guard?:
    IMO they are doing this to see what kind of flexibility this kid has as a player. I have coached linemen a long time on a much smaller level of course but a guy at 6'8" IMHO is way too big to play inside at guard. It has been done and it has worked but its is kind of against the grain. Most inside linemen are smaller then the OT's that play the edge. I understand you put your best 5 out there but I dont like this. I would rather see him learn the LT or RT spots from Light and Vollmer.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

I agree, but don't you think this is mostly about depth if there's an injury or two within a game and BB only has seven active linemen.  If he's got Volmer, Light, and Solder and four interior linemen active and two of the interior linemen get hurt, someone's got to play guard.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Solder will start at OG the same game that Farham starts at FS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I just ran a quiz, and most people voted for a natural guard at the position, not Solder.

BB has three excellent left tackles and is short one excellent/good/adequate guard.  Matt Light can't play anywhere well except left tackle.  Vollmer has to play right tackle because he can.  Solder may have to play right guard because the entire offensive line stinks without right guard.   No, don't stick my head in the toilet NOOOO!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Solder, not Connelly, is the Patriots' fifth best offensive lineman

So he'd start at guard once Matt Light (who's also better than Connelly) is healthy if the Pats wanted to field all of their best linemen

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Solder, not Connelly, is the Patriots' fifth best offensive lineman So he'd start at guard once Matt Light (who's also better than Connelly) is healthy if the Pats wanted to field all of their best linemen
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

And never have Brady through a ball on the side again?

There is a reason why most G's aren't 6'8". Mainly because it's easier for the QB to see over shorter G's and opens throwing lanes. That's not to mention that interior lineman tend to deal with NT's and DT's in the 6'1"-6'3" range. It's hard to gain leverage when the guy across from you is 6" lower

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I dont' read anything particularly earth-shattering into this.  One thing BB may be trying to do is force Solder to get lower on his blocks by having him play a position (in practice or otherwise) where he is forced to block low.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Connelly has not played well this preseason. Simple as that. He pretty much has the same issues he had last year. He does not play well in tight space and is often over powered (pass blocking) while he is best when pulling or out in front on screens.
    Big drop off from a healthy S Neal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

I want to see Connelly tomorrow night against Suh before I'm ready to kick him out of the starting line up.  However if Solder is just plain better at this point then it makes sense that he plays.  He will eventually be the LT of the future but the future starts next year.  In the meantime the best 5 OLmen should play period. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

it could be in case suh this wekk keeps attacking connolly bb could rotate solder in to stop him just in case connolly can't handle him and is getting to close to brady.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I want to see both block Suh. He'll be doubled. Pick your poison Solder or Mankins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

B.B. preparing for any situation as always. probably getting him some reps at guard just in case, or to put the best 5 linemen on the field.

imo he is too tall and might not be strong enough to play guard full time. his footwork,, quickness , height,,ect.. make him ideal for the tackle position.. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Solder at guard? : And never have Brady through a ball on the side again? There is a reason why most G's aren't 6'8". Mainly because it's easier for the QB to see over shorter G's and opens throwing lanes. That's not to mention that interior lineman tend to deal with NT's and DT's in the 6'1"-6'3" range. It's hard to gain leverage when the guy across from you is 6" lower
    Posted by PatsEng

Leonard Davis, one of the better guards of the past decade, was 6'9", originally a tackle, as is Robert Gallery

if they play with good leverage and know their passing lanes, it'll be fine

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

bruschi said if he was detroits d coordinator he'd line suh up over connolly.
    tedi spoke diplomatically, but he basically said connolly is the weak link on the line
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4700905/podcast-bruschi-on-espn-boston-radio

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Maybe he isn't turning out to be the super duper draft pick the fans have cracked him up to be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to Solder at guard?:
    Posted by e4smith

Just a thought

if you pass as we do 63% of the time and the TE's are your offensive feature than spreadin out your TE's leaves you vulnerable to a more aggressive pass rush in the event the back field is empty and you do not max protect.

I do not see having two GREAT tackles with exceptional pass blocking skills lined up side by side as a bad thing.

If you watched solder the past two games you'll see that he seals the end better than Light and vollmer on run plays

he is an aggressive run blocker

i think they should build on it

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Solder and Vollmer will be a staple at Tackle for the next 5 years and Mankins will be a beast at guard-we only need to replace Koppen at center which we will do in next years draft-and ALL you jets fans will drool!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts