some additional observations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

some additional observations

I cant write anything down during practices (attended 9 so far), but was at the Eagles game as a fan, and had binocs and a note pad. Some observations;

-watching the OL and pseudo TE's (manieri) line up at the end of the line helped me understand how big these TE's are and how difficult it is for them to move like a TE. Makes Gronk even more amazing at his size and the way in which he moves. Lets face it, Manieri and even Devlin don't look smooth out there running routes. Jones looked really awkward. Someone mentioned Kyle Brady earlier in the week, another guy that was a great combo of size and speed. But I think Gronk may be the best big man I have ever seen running routes

-thinking about the above and watching Jones, NInk and Buchanon also trying to properly drop into coverage, did any one do it any better than Willie Mac? Not that I can think of

-I dont have "game tape", but did watch both games a 2nd and 3rd time. I am not ready to say Butler makes this team. yes, he has done well, but he is clearly the 5th or 6th CB on the depth chart here with this deep talent pool. 

-I am hoping to see Easley this coming week in practice. I am curious as to where he lines up, DT or DE, maybe both? I simply do not see him as a DT in the NFL other than sub packages. No pressure or anything, but in pads he looks like DE MStrahan. What did he play at towards the end of his career? 250-260?

-I think the posters here under estimate Dobson, and how well he did last year. I also think the posters here over estimate KT and how much he trended backwards last year

-in hindsight last week there was a lot of debate over Mallett vs Garop. I found myself defending Mallett and his potential as an NFL qb. I hink I will change my stance go forward to this is the best back up qb situation the Pats have had in the BB era. (Cassell included)

-someone told me yesterday to expect more TE's this week (physicals). I dont know who, but at this point, why? I understand looking in every corner and see whats available. but really, at this stage isnt it too late? I saw Fells retired. might there be interest? seems clear to me Keller is not phsyically ready.

-when I watched the Eagles game a 2nd time, two things noticed. Devey played a lot. I thought his ame against the Skins and the mistakes he made against the Eagles made him a really long shot, but maybe I was too hasty. Kline and Halapio should be on notice

-what to make of the C spot? Seems Connolly is #1 at this point. does Stork come back and make Wendell expendable? Does the team rely on Storks health? if the roster is Connolly and STork, I have to think they figure a way to get Cave onto he PS. Stork simply has had a lot of injuries. If Wendel is cut, I think he is out of a job for less than 1 hour (hello Rex). (Hello Coughlan)

-I only saw 1 Eagles practce last week, but in that practice the OL looked very good. Ditto in the game Friday night. I think the Panthers front 7 is a different situation and the OL needs to be ready. Panthers can bring it much more so than the Eagles

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: some additional observations

Was at the game and saw replay later as well. 

- KT is a solid WR. THey will have trouble trying to keep him off the field but with JE, DA (who too many underrate here but who might be gone after this contract because of KT and JE and Dobson) Dobson and LeFell there is just not enough game time to dole out. Unless there are stretches where Gronk is not available.

- I think we have been seeing the coaches try out Gronkless O's as well as what double TE might look like with Gronk - that would be an extra OT (Maneri being one of them as he is no ones idea of a real TE at this point). 

- I do not expect Mallett to be cut but JG has a real shot now at being number 2. But it is no slam dunk. If the first game was this next one and TB went down I think they would go to Mallett at this juncture. Familiarity with the whole offense being the key.

- If a team loses their starter, especially (1) a real good playoff team with not much of a backup or (2) a team on the bubble of playoff talent whose QB is not the long term solution - perhaps such a team would want to trade for Mallett and give a conditional pick. Or maybe.... give a back up TE??????

- Bolden looked like he was playing for a spot not just on the roster but some touches during the season.

- Gray looked like he had elevated his game from a week ago. Looked like he wanted to make the coaches think about how to keep him.

- I was excited by the idea of Finch. But I do not think he makes the team. Not special enough and with Vereen and White less of a need.

- Boyce continues to show he is (1) not quite ready to be a quality player but (2) not a dud like some high picks we had last decade. He is clearly not as good as KT at this point. He still has more upside but KT looks a lot to me like a Branch type player - not great and or special at any one thing but good and smart and tough and enough talent to make it all work all over the field (and on the same page as TB). I like Boyce but numbers put him on the bubble. I think he will be good and might flourish on some teams but he needs more time here if they can find space

- and Tyms is making it harder for Boyce. He demands more time this preseason because he is looking like a keeper. I suspect the cut is between Tyms and Boyce. I think Tyms would need to be on the 53 roster before his suspension and I am expect someone will grab Boyce if we let him go hoping to pick him right back up once Tyms is on the suspension. Maybe the trick is to let someone else at another position go that might not get snapped up in a day - and pick them back up when TYms is on suspension.

- I wonder if Wendell is cut for money reasons especially as I do not think he is our starting center.

- This D (when all players are available) looks more and more to be dominant.

- TB looked great. Some people here really dont appreciate what they have. He makes it look easy. I just wish he would get his long ball accuracy up to a reasonable level. That has been his achilles heal 

- JG looked great, looked comfortable, looked like he enjoys playing, looked like he knows that when you play in a game you need to be relaxed and play the game. Will he take a page from TB and work on arm strength? He has a stronger arm than TB had as a rookie. Will he build on that?

- THere was not even a LOOK to throw against Revis. Not even a glance. The closest they came was to throw underneath on his side once he and his blanketed receiver had long ago cleared the area and the all clear signal was given.

- Maneri can block pretty good for a TE. Not an OT but good for a TE.

- Canon looked pretty good from both left and right OT. They had him in with Solder and also with Vollmer.

- Mallett did look much better than last week. Not as smooth as JG but much better

- Mankins had some plays where he was looking like he was ready for the real thing

- Interesting 3-4 D which could also be described as a 5-2! With Nink and Jones at OLB and Hightower and Collins (or Mayo perhaps if he was available) in the middle and three DTs (Kelly, Wilfork and in this case Vellano). I guess it is an option if we hare short handed at LB.

- Butler is one of this offseason surprises. He looks like he wants us to keep him and I think maybe we should. Tyms, JG, Gray also very very pleasant surprises. Thats four guys who are making an unexpectedly strong case for themselves. SOme here might include KT but they have been underestimating him. 

.... way too many people here underestimate rookie WRs and so KT and Dobson.

White looked very good to me. Watch the pass plays where he stayed in to block. He is a rookie who does that as if he was a solid vet. Like Kevin Faulk (who he really is.. you never see the two of them in the room together). He ran well I thought though some might find fault with one of his runs. BUt that was a stretch type play and he is no good at that. He is a north south guy - again very much like Faulk. You want to run that play use Vereen. With White keep it north south. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good posts by the both of you.

I'll add...

A week ago I thought Will Smith looked pretty good, last game I didn't even notice him.

I think Arrington is going to be a safety, I've said that before...I just think he fits that mold.

I thought JG had a pretty damn good game once again, he probably shouldn't of thrown that TD pass to Lafell, but I also think it showed he does have an NFL arm. This isn't Chad Pennington we are talking about here.

Lafell I think is going to help the team - he may not catch 80 balls, but i think he'll give us a solid 50-60

This offense will struggle without Gronk - I think there is some solid receivers - but I just don't think they are good enough to lose a great player...same for the running backs. The offense needs a special playmaker and Gronk is our guy...other teams have theirs...gronk is ours. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I am liking what LaFell can bring to the table. At 6'3" he can play more physical and will be one of the first players Brady will look for in the end zone. If teams double cover Gronk that leaves LaFell free to go up and get a TD catch.

KT looks like he has worked a lot on his catching skills, he still has ups and downs, which is excepted for a second year undrafted WR. Brady seems to like him and as you have mentioned, he has a Branch quality to him.

White lost his chance to really show they could work him in regularly in the regular season. Ridley put the ball on the ground again and if White could of made a few big plays he could have solidified his role in this offense. 1 game left for him to prove that though

TE is a mess, hope Gronk can stay healthy all year long!

I feel I really can't judge this defense as a whole yet. We haven't seen everyone on the field for more than 2 quarters for me to get a feel of how this defense will click together. Secondary still looks like it will give up chunks of easy yards due to BB style. However, I think the defensive line, especially once Easley can play will create good pressure with Jones, Nink and Collins rushing the passer.

I really don't know what to make of Mallet, he is familiar with this offense so he stays more than likely. Garoppolo looks like a great long term QB project. With some work on his skill set he could be very good one day.

The O-line needs to get healthy and established by the beginning of the season. Stork better get healthy and stay that way if we rely on him at C.  Not only to protect Brady but give our running game more success.

I think Boyce could find his role in the return game, he has dynamics, but it's like his head isn't always in the game or he just doesn't study the playbook enough. Don't think Tymes is much of threat to him without really having a great rest of the preseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Rkarp- good observations, thanks. I am very interested to see how the WR position shakes out. I am thinking the last cut (or two cuts) come down to Boyce and Tyms. I am really a Boyce guy as I think his speed can do for us what Percy Harvin did in the super bowl with his end arounds etc. Will be interesting.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rkarp- good observations, thanks. I am very interested to see how the WR position shakes out. I am thinking the last cut (or two cuts) come down to Boyce and Tyms. I am really a Boyce guy as I think his speed can do for us what Percy Harvin did in the super bowl with his end arounds etc. Will be interesting.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[/QUOTE]

Quag - I had the same thought about Boyce (and Harvin) but I do not think Boyce is running routes sharply enough to make his mark. He needs to simply get better as a WR (as opposed to an athlete). Tyms is making a strong case for himself right now and IF he does it in practice this week and in this next game he might challenge for real field time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good posts by the both of you.

I'll add...

A week ago I thought Will Smith looked pretty good, last game I didn't even notice him.

I think Arrington is going to be a safety, I've said that before...I just think he fits that mold.

I thought JG had a pretty damn good game once again, he probably shouldn't of thrown that TD pass to Lafell, but I also think it showed he does have an NFL arm. This isn't Chad Pennington we are talking about here.

Lafell I think is going to help the team - he may not catch 80 balls, but i think he'll give us a solid 50-60

This offense will struggle without Gronk - I think there is some solid receivers - but I just don't think they are good enough to lose a great player...same for the running backs. The offense needs a special playmaker and Gronk is our guy...other teams have theirs...gronk is ours. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I think LaFell gives us an new option - a bit like Givens. Not big numbers but important plays when we need him.

Also, BB made some comments about S and CB and Arrington... more like there might be times when rather than having a traditional S out there we have another STAR CB to match up with the offenses featuring extra receivers and TEs who are more like WRs/slot receviers than traditional TEs. That is good for guys like Arrington who are decent in those roles.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Ben Watson was a lot more impressive of a physical specimen than Kyle Brady was, size/speed wise. More recent also. Had his moments, too. Just a little inconsistent. But when I think of athletic TEs, personally I don't think of Brady.

Thompkins hit the rookie wall last year. To me, he looks like a better player so far. More confident, more focused on his job than his surroundings. That's kind of what you expect from a second year guy. He'll be that much better next year. It's a process. Dobson? His absence is going to set him back and he has a lot of catching up to do and I doubt it will be easy for him. He's number five on the WR depth chart right now, might be sixth if Tyms continues to seize the moment. If the season started this week, he'd be inactive even if he was 100% healthy. 

Stork has had some injuries but he hasn't missed any appreciable time in college. Started 13 games each of the last two seasons. But like Dobson, he needs reps. He's way behind. He's a backup to start the season, assuming he gets back. Connolly is the starter and that's fine, he's a solid guy. I don't see what you seem to with Wendell. He's undersized, a technician who gets overwhelmed a lot. A serviceable backup, but no big loss if he gets cut. the NYJ or G want him, see ya. I don't think VW will be overly concerned if he has to face him twice a year.