some nice grades for Cannon and Siliga, as well as Solder, per PFF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

some nice grades for Cannon and Siliga, as well as Solder, per PFF

we already knew Blount graded well;

New England– Three Performances of Note

Blount Steals the Show

As mentioned, LeGarrette Blount was the story of the afternoon as he ran for 189 yards on 24 carries to grade at +3.0 overall and he added two kickoff returns for 145 yards and a +2.8 return grade. The only blemish was one fumble, perhaps due to the slippery weather. Blount forced seven tacklers to miss and he picked up 91 of his yards after contact. There were a number of plays that appeared destined to be a short gain, but Blount continued to move the pile to turn it into an eight or nine-yard effort. Other times, he was elusive enough that no one touched him, as was the case on his first touchdown at the 12:22 mark of the second quarter. The Patriots ran power to the left, but Blount found a cutback lane against the flow of the play and he hit the hole and was gone for a 36-yard score. He finished the day in style with a 35-yard run with 2:40 to go in the game as this time he patiently waited for the play to develop before hitting the hole, stiff-arming safety Jim Leonhard up the sideline, and taking it all the way to help clinch the bye for New England. It was an impressive all-around day for Blount.

Siliga Controls the Middle

The numerous injuries up front may have paved the way for the Patriots to discover DT Sealver Siliga who has played extremely well in recent weeks. He graded at +3.5 on the day, notching seven stops including a sack. He shed blocks and found the football throughout the game, usually controlling the guards, but he even got the best of Pears at the 10:22 mark of the second quarter. For the season, he’s grading at +6.6 on 221 snaps, with 14 stops in just five games. Siliga has become a huge part of the Patriots defensive line rotation and he’ll be a key player to watch come playoff time.

Strength at Tackle

A week ago it was the interior of the Patriots’ offensive line that had a strong day against the Baltimore Ravens, but this time it was offensive tackles Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon who led the way, grading at +3.6 and +4.1 respectively. They were both perfect in pass protection on 29 dropbacks while doing fine work in the running game. Solder often does his best work at the second level and he stayed true to form with a pancake of LB Nigel Bradham at the 12:54 mark of the first. Cannon graded at +1.6 as a run blocker as he sealed Bryant a number of times but also getting to the second level as he did against Alonso with 4:07 to go in the second quarter. The offensive tackles led the way on Sunday.

Game Notes

- Patriots DE Chandler Jones played 69 of 70 snaps in the game, bringing his season total to 1,141 for the season, most ever for defensive lineman since PFF started in 2008. Teammate Rob Ninkovich is second all-time with 1,114.

- Kiko Alonso played all 75 snaps Sunday and finished the season playing all 1,177 of the Bills’ defensive snaps.

- Thad Lewis graded at +2.6 in a clean pocket but only -2.2 when pressured.

PFF Game Ball

LeGarrette Blount was the best player on the field, grading at +3.0 overall and +2.8 as a returner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: some nice grades for Cannon and Siliga, as well as Solder, per PFF

Our offensive tackles will always have a good day when we run the ball and keep those speed rushers honest.  Speed/edge rushers have to account for a runningback blowing by them again and again, offensive tackles can actually attack pass rushers while run blocking instead of falling back on their heels, taking the brunt of the attack, while pass blocking.

If we play balanced and rely on play action we will beat anyone, especially now that Siliga has stablized the interior of our defensive line, he has to remain healthy.  As silly as it sounds, he is now our MVP on defense.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Our offensive tackles will always have a good day when we run the ball and keep those speed rushers honest.  Speed/edge rushers have to account for a runningback blowing by them again and again, offensive tackles can actually attack pass rushers while run blocking instead of falling back on their heels, taking the brunt of the attack, while pass blocking.

If we play balanced and rely on play action we will beat anyone, especially now that Siliga has stablized the interior of our defensive line, he has to remain healthy.  As silly as it sounds, he is now our MVP on defense.

[/QUOTE]

I could not help but notice 2 things when the Pats were on offense. 1) the Bills failed to adjust to the run all day. They game planned to stop the pass, and in spite of the great success running and the weather, the Bills continued to play "pass" first. 2) the Bills are either the worst team in football tackling the runner, or they had no desire to make the tackles. I do not wish to take anything away from Blount, the other Pats RB's or the Pats OL, but that was the worst defensive front 7 play by the Bills last week that I have seen this entire year.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What do you think of this guy Siliga going forward, I mean long term? Is he going to stick? I'd like to see more of him - the little I've seen he looks good - personally I think he is twice the player Love was. I miss Deaderick as a player a little bit, I thought he was pretty stout...got up field on occasion...never got pushed around. He must of been a real head case to of gotten cut before training camp even began.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kiko Alonso = DROY

Funny what happens when you committ to running the ball, huh? All of a sudden, our supposed crap O Line looks good.

[/QUOTE]

I say Alonso is #2...Richardson takes DROY IMO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Siliga has even made Vellano fresher when he plays now.  As a starter Vellano's effectiveness and production were dropping week after week.  He actually played pretty well when he got some snaps last week.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kiko Alonso = DROY

Funny what happens when you committ to running the ball, huh? All of a sudden, our supposed crap O Line looks good.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No. Alonso changed games for Buffalo.  

Chris Jones had more sacks than Richardson and more tackles for loss, so there is no way he is the DROY if he can't lead in these categories at the position.

It's Alonso in a runaway.

[/QUOTE]

as usual, we disagree. as usual, I will prevail. as usual, you will then say you never said that.

fact

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kiko Alonso = DROY

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Chris Jones had more sacks than Richardson and more tackles for loss, so there is no way he is the DROY if he can't lead in these categories at the position.

[/QUOTE]

agree Kiko did a TON for this team. not only was he the 'jerod mayo' on buffalo he also found the ball in his hands alot and could get to the QB too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

As silly as it sounds, he is now our MVP on defense.

[/QUOTE]

That's not a silly statement. Its true. Siliga has brought some form of consistentcy to the line since he's played and that has made Hightower a better player as well. He is opening up more gaps for the LB's to bust throught instead of getting pushed back into the LBs and giving up big gains.

Siliga has helped cork up a gaping hole at the time. Great find

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

I could not help but notice 2 things when the Pats were on offense. 1) the Bills failed to adjust to the run all day. They game planned to stop the pass, and in spite of the great success running and the weather, the Bills continued to play "pass" first. 2) the Bills are either the worst team in football tackling the runner, or they had no desire to make the tackles. I do not wish to take anything away from Blount, the other Pats RB's or the Pats OL, but that was the worst defensive front 7 play by the Bills last week that I have seen this entire year.  

[/QUOTE]

I would say that Blount adds an extra dimension to our offense that has been sorely lacking; power.  When added with balance and coaches trust of Blount to hold onto the ball and make positive gains, even if they aren't huge, this makes life difficult for opposing defenses.  They can bunch everyone up inside and crowd the line of scrimmage but then Brady fakes the play action and burns them, or they can drop back and let Blount nick them to death.

I don't think this team the past two weeks has been a mirage or played poor opponents, they are for real.  Another thing that can't be dismissed is our offensive line, they are very strong, mobile and athletic.  

If we follow the script from 2001-2004, power run the ball, play ball control football, limit offensive turnovers, but most of all stay healthy we will beat and sometimes crush teams.  I wonder what this offense might have looked like had we started Blount from day one but I suspect BB wanted him healthy for the playoffs and had to give Ridley the chance to lose the starting job on his own.

I think back to last year's playoffs when Ridley got knocked out, imagine if Blount was in there, he would have shrugged it off and fallen forward for another four yards... it's hard enough for a defender to shake off a 310 pound lineman but to then have to attempt to tackle a 250 pound runningbacks running full speed is a serious workout.  The more we run him the more we'll wear down defenses.  Antwoine Smith and Corey Dillon were custom made for our offensive system as is Blount, having Ridley playing behind him with a chip on his shoulder is an added bonus, having Vereen as our third down back is straight lethal.  

The run game, the way it should be has offcially returned to New England and we'll be hard to beat in the snow or anywhere for that matter.  My favorite image from Sunday was Blount sitting on the bench with his arm around Brady, both had huge smiles on their faces...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kiko Alonso = DROY

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

as usual, we disagree. as usual, I will prevail. as usual, you will then say you never said that.

fact

[/QUOTE]

Says the Jets fan who lost every bet he's ever had with me, official or unofficial. Priceless.

You've never prevailed with anything here.  Hey, tell us again how Dobson has a broken foot and is going on IR or Hooman is going to IR. bawhahaah

You're a pathetic joke. When Ache Not completed his synposis last night and included you as an "intriguing" poster and loser of the forum, he nailed the analysis. You have no inside info.  You're a namedropping fraud who comes here to try to dupe people into thinking you are some insider with info.

It's quite funny. And sad.

Blind squirrel, meet nut.

[/QUOTE]

Tommy Kelly

Adrian Wilson

Jake Ballard

Mike Jenkins

Sudfeld

Dobson

ownage. prevailing. I won. You lost.

Hooman will have surgey, and if not for Gronks injury, would have been IR'd. I never said Hooman was on IR. I said I had heard his injury was bad enough that he would need surgery and would be IR'd. In the same exact statement where I said that, I also said Reiss had heard differently.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

What do you think of this guy Siliga going forward, I mean long term? Is he going to stick? I'd like to see more of him - the little I've seen he looks good - personally I think he is twice the player Love was. I miss Deaderick as a player a little bit, I thought he was pretty stout...got up field on occasion...never got pushed around. He must of been a real head case to of gotten cut before training camp even began.

The price is obviously right, I don't know his contract situtation but we should extend him at a reasonable rate and plug him next to Wilfork, then you have two gap stuffers to play the 4/3 or rotate at nose in the 3/4.  Nobody else on our roster not name Vince can do what he does right now.  

We have to keep him healthy so I hope we get early leads so we can tee off on opponents on the defensive side and keep him well rested for early downs.  As good as this years defense would have been had they remained healthy, next year's could be superior.  I have to imagine that Siliga was in the Patriots sights for a while, they scout these guys and follow them from college into the pros.

Both Deaderick and Love were solid role players but neither was a revelation at DT, they could be replaced by late draft picks or free agents, simply because them having been Patriots their value on the open market was probably over inflated.  You don't pay more for production you can make up for with rookie contracts, it had shades of the LawFirm situation, they weren't worth what they were going to make in free agency so you let them walk or trade them when they still have value.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would say that Blount adds an extra dimension to our offense that has been sorely lacking; power.  When added with balance and coaches trust of Blount to hold onto the ball and make positive gains, even if they aren't huge, this makes life difficult for opposing defenses.  They can bunch everyone up inside and crowd the line of scrimmage but then Brady fakes the play action and burns them, or they can drop back and let Blount nick them to death.

I don't think this team the past two weeks has been a mirage or played poor opponents, they are for real.  Another thing that can't be dismissed is our offensive line, they are very strong, mobile and athletic.  

If we follow the script from 2001-2004, power run the ball, play ball control football, limit offensive turnovers, but most of all stay healthy we will beat and sometimes crush teams.  I wonder what this offense might have looked like had we started Blount from day one but I suspect BB wanted him healthy for the playoffs and had to give Ridley the chance to lose the starting job on his own.

I think back to last year's playoffs when Ridley got knocked out, imagine if Blount was in there, he would have shrugged it off and fallen forward for another four yards... it's hard enough for a defender to shake off a 310 pound lineman but to then have to attempt to tackle a 250 pound runningbacks running full speed is a serious workout.  The more we run him the more we'll wear down defenses.  Antwoine Smith and Corey Dillon were custom made for our offensive system as is Blount, having Ridley playing behind him with a chip on his shoulder is an added bonus, having Vereen as our third down back is straight lethal.  

The run game, the way it should be has offcially returned to New England and we'll be hard to beat in the snow or anywhere for that matter.  My favorite image from Sunday was Blount sitting on the bench with his arm around Brady, both had huge smiles on their faces...

[/QUOTE]

I think everyone likes this strategy, but IMO the key to success will be the OL winning the LOS and Blount continuing to run hard. Did you feel that Blount early in the season was capable of what he did lst week?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kiko Alonso = DROY

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

fact

[/QUOTE]

Says the Jets fan who lost every bet he's ever had with me, official or unofficial. Priceless.

You've never prevailed with anything here.  Hey, tell us again how Dobson has a broken foot and is going on IR or Hooman is going to IR. bawhahaah

You're a pathetic joke. When Ache Not completed his synposis last night and included you as an "intriguing" poster and loser of the forum, he nailed the analysis. You have no inside info.  You're a namedropping fraud who comes here to try to dupe people into thinking you are some insider with info.

It's quite funny. And sad.

Blind squirrel, meet nut.

[/QUOTE]

Tommy Kelly

Adrian Wilson

Jake Ballard

Mike Jenkins

Sudfeld

Dobson

ownage. prevailing. I won. You lost.

Hooman will have surgey, and if not for Gronks injury, would have been IR'd. I never said Hooman was on IR. I said I had heard his injury was bad enough that he would need surgery and would be IR'd. In the same exact statement where I said that, I also said Reiss had heard differently.

[/QUOTE]

Dobson to IR? When did that happen?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

I think everyone likes this strategy, but IMO the key to success will be the OL winning the LOS and Blount continuing to run hard. Did you feel that Blount early in the season was capable of what he did lst week?

[/QUOTE]

I feel the offense in general wasn't playing as well early in the season, particularly the WR's, so without the threat of being able to burn an opponent downfield opposing teams could stack the box.  

I would also add that with time, the entire offensive unit including McDaniels calling the plays has figured each other out, have built chemistry and improved their ability to get in a rhythm sooner.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Siliga has been great so far coming in but the final verdict will come in the playoffs. With any new player it takes time to develop film on them and pick up their tendencies. Look at Chris Jones, started off hot then died off once teams started to figure him out. Hopefully Siliga can keep it going because we'll need him in the playoffs and next year as a sub run stopper.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

Kiko Alonso = DROY

[/QUOTE]

Yes, amazing what happens when you face a team that is 20something against the run.  Buffalo is almost as bad as the Pats against the run and had NOTHING to play for.  And you want to base the quality of the Pats run game on the last game of the year where the other team flat out gave up?  Are you for real?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Siliga has even made Vellano fresher when he plays now.  As a starter Vellano's effectiveness and production were dropping week after week.  He actually played pretty well when he got some snaps last week.

[/QUOTE]

Good point Catfish, I was thinking the same thing

nice avatar btw, now I can finally put a face with the name lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Siliga has been great so far coming in but the final verdict will come in the playoffs. With any new player it takes time to develop film on them and pick up their tendencies. Look at Chris Jones, started off hot then died off once teams started to figure him out. Hopefully Siliga can keep it going because we'll need him in the playoffs and next year as a sub run stopper.

[/QUOTE]

I would counter that when Jones was added to the roster Tommy Kelly was playing next to him and Mayo was healthy.  With opponents keying on Kelly, Jones had a lot of single teams.  

Now with Siliga we have the ability to two gap along the center of the D-Line, it gives us the added luxury of not having to send the house the get pressure in the pass rush, we can hold our DT's back and they won't necessarily get burned by the run.  He isn't Vince, he isn't overwhelming but he provides push and is a stump against the run, prior to Siliga we were a turnstile vs the run.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I would counter that when Jones was added to the roster Tommy Kelly was playing next to him and Mayo was healthy.  With opponents keying on Kelly, Jones had a lot of single teams.  

Now with Siliga we have the ability to two gap along the center of the D-Line, it gives us the added luxury of not having to send the house the get pressure in the pass rush, we can hold our DT's back and they won't necessarily get burned by the run.  He isn't Vince, he isn't overwhelming but he provides push and is a stump against the run, prior to Siliga we were a turnstile vs the run.

[/QUOTE]

I think there was really only a week or two between when Kelly went out and when Wilfork did so they didn't really spend much time together and if I remember right Vellano got most of those snaps. But Jones did have a nice move for a couple weeks before the bye week, after that it seemed like teams got caught up and almost washed him out of plays with little chip blocks

Sections
Shortcuts