Some Numbers I Found Interesting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Some Numbers I Found Interesting

From the game last Sunday against the Jets.

(numbering indicates which possession for the Pats, followed by whether the drive included any running plays and the result of the drive)

1  rushing  TD
    2  no rushing  punt
    3  rushing  TD
    4  no rushng  punt
    5  rushing  punt
    6  no rushing  INT
    7  rushing  punt
    8  rushing  punt
    9  rushing  punt
    10 rushing  FG
    11 rushing  Punt
    12 rushing  FG
    13 no rushing  Punt

when 1st play was pass: 9 of 13 possessions, 5 3 and out, 1 led to score
    when 1st play was rush: 4 of 13 possessions, 1 3 and out, 3 led to score

Pats had 5 possessions that began in 3rd quarter.  On three of these possessions (6, 8 and 9 in the list), Pats attempted to throw on 1st play of the possession.  Brady was sacked all three times.

Of the 4 possessions where there was no rushing at all, the offense came up with -7 points.

Maybe Josh can try to remember that the running game is important.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Some Numbers I Found Interesting

Remember the days it would take the Pats 2 or 3 games, or more, to have this many 3 and outs as they experienced in this ONE game?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

From the game last Sunday against the Jets.

(numbering indicates which possession for the Pats, followed by whether the drive included any running plays and the result of the drive)

1  rushing  TD
    2  no rushing  punt
    3  rushing  TD
    4  no rushng  punt
    5  rushing  punt
    6  no rushing  INT
    7  rushing  punt
    8  rushing  punt
    9  rushing  punt
    10 rushing  FG
    11 rushing  Punt
    12 rushing  FG
    13 no rushing  Punt

when 1st play was pass: 9 of 13 possessions, 5 3 and out, 1 led to score
    when 1st play was rush: 4 of 13 possessions, 1 3 and out, 3 led to score

Pats had 5 possessions that began in 3rd quarter.  On three of these possessions (6, 8 and 9 in the list), Pats attempted to throw on 1st play of the possession.  Brady was sacked all three times.

Of the 4 possessions where there was no rushing at all, the offense came up with -7 points.

Maybe Josh can try to remember that the running game is important.

McDaniels is not as good an OC as people thought. That has become obvious. Without the weapons of 2007 he does not know how to call a good game.

Some of your stats are quite misleading (for example the "no rushing" that ended in an INT was a two play drive).

On of the things in my mind that makes a good NFL OC, is the willingness to pass and first down, but if that is incomplete still be will to run on 2-and-10 (or second and long in general). Against the Jets, the Patriots had 19 second downs with 7 or more to go. They passed on 15 of them and two of the runs were after sacks in their own end of the field (2-and-17 from their own 3 yard-line and 2-and-16 from their own 14 yard line). Too predictable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

Remember the days it would take the Pats 2 or 3 games, or more, to have this many 3 and outs as they experienced in this ONE game?

Not really, other than 2007 and maybe 2010-2012

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

[/QUOTE]

McDaniels is not as good an OC as people thought. That has become obvious. Without the weapons of 2007 he does not know how to call a good game.

Some of your stats are quite misleading (for example the "no rushing" that ended in an INT was a two play drive).

On of the things in my mind that makes a good NFL OC, is the willingness to pass and first down, but if that is incomplete still be will to run on 2-and-10 (or second and long in general). Against the Jets, the Patriots had 19 second downs with 7 or more to go. They passed on 15 of them and two of the runs were after sacks in their own end of the field (2-and-17 from their own 3 yard-line and 2-and-16 from their own 14 yard line). Too predictable.

[/QUOTE]

That is true, but part of the point was that after the 1st down sack on a pass attempt, the Pats went right back to another passing play.  On the other 2 possessions that started with a sack in the 3rd, the Pats ran immediately after the sack.

As for passing on 2nd down, pile those numbers up on top of 13 possessions for the game where the Pats threw to start the possession 9 times, and you're seeing a lot of possessions that start off pass-pass.  And to think that in that horrid Offensive 3rd quarter, the Pats only ran something like 6 times, but totaled near 30 yrds (just under 5 per carry--even thought they got stiffed a couple times), which was a way better average than the passing game was doing, and yet they just didn't run the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

That is true, but part of the point was that after the 1st down sack on a pass attempt, the Pats went right back to another passing play.  On the other 2 possessions that started with a sack in the 3rd, the Pats ran immediately after the sack.

As for passing on 2nd down, pile those numbers up on top of 13 possessions for the game where the Pats threw to start the possession 9 times, and you're seeing a lot of possessions that start off pass-pass.  And to think that in that horrid Offensive 3rd quarter, the Pats only ran something like 6 times, but totaled near 30 yrds (just under 5 per carry--even thought they got stiffed a couple times), which was a way better average than the passing game was doing, and yet they just didn't run the ball.

I totally agree. I think that McDaniels play calling has been bad on the whole. I actually think he has never been a great play caller. He had amazing weapons for a few years, and built up a resume. Then he went on to fall apart in Denver and run the worst offense in the NFL in St. Louis. I post this article in another thread already, but his refusal to run the ball late in games (even when winning) is documented back to the '06 AFC championship game.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to themightypatriots's comment:

also.... 5 sacks total in 2007. We are at 20 already. ON pace for 44 for the year. Highest total Eva!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

also.... 5 sacks total in 2007. We are at 20 already. ON pace for 44 for the year. Highest total Eva!

Ummm the 2007 team had 46 total sacks.  Where the heck did you get 5 from?  And this year's team has 14 and a half sacks so far, not 20.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats's comment:

Ummm the 2007 team had 46 total sacks.  Where the heck did you get 5 from?  And this year's team has 14 and a half sacks so far, not 20.

I think he was referring to how many times Brady's been sacked, rather than how many sacks the Pats D has.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In 2007, Brady was sacked 21 times which put the Patriots 8th in the NFL in terms of percentage of pass plays that ended in sacks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats's comment:

I was referring to the offense. They actually gave up 20 for the year. My point still stands cuz we are at 20 already and not even halfway through. I actually heard Fat Gresh on the radio today make that 5 sacks comment. No wonder Rusty is always wrong...lol

• Sections
    Shortcuts