Some of us need to relax

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Some of us need to relax

Some people on these boards (not all) are goin crazy about the pats not making any big trades like the jets and dolphins.  Here's a news flash for you guys...WE ARENT GOING TO BE SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS EVERY YEAR, ,hell we wont even be playoff contenders every year.  Older pats fans know this...The pats dynasty wasnt built after 1 or 2 seasons, huge contributors to those teams (bruschi, Brown, Law, McGinest, Johnson, etc) were drafted 4-5 years before the first championship.

Build a team through the draft.  Look at the successful franchises of the decade (Pats, Steelers, Colts).  The core group of their players came up via drafts.  12 of the last 13 super mvps were players who were with the original team that brought them up.  (Brees is the one who wasnt but we can all agree hes a special talent).

In other words, Im just saying patience.  We may not be the best team in our division this year or even next year, but with 11 picks in the first two rounds between the 2009-2011 drafts, we have a chance to build a new dynasty.  I'll take third place in our division this year if it means for more long term stability.  We're rebuilding...and guys like marshall, holmes, boldin arent exactly the type of guys who ud want to build a a new foundation out of.

plus...its football...no one thought the jets would get as far as they did last year...pats still got a chance with this team to win it as long as the players and coaches are willing to work for it

sorry this post is so long

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Some of us need to relax

Good post and I agree somewhat.  Patience, I hear ya!  However, with the plethora of draft picks the Pats can have the best of both worlds now, they can add quality impact vets for now and draft for the future, I think both are possible.  It's very discouraging to see the Pats not go after players that were available who would have given this team a chance to get right back to the top this season.

I'm pretty sure there are several vet players that are playing for more than just a paycheck, they are playing for championships.  It would be an insult to them if they aren't given the best opportunity to do so.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I understand the frustration...but reading interviews from players and such it doesnt sound like everyone on the team is on the same page right now.  I dont think MArshall would have been a good addition considering his offield issues and such.  Same goes for Santonio Holmes.  Peppers is also known for dogging it at times, which the last type of player the pats need right now. 

Ive been on sports teams in the past and i understand the importance of leadership and how talent can go to waste without it...we gotta get locker room guys and establish some team chemistry before we go out signing these big name divas...otherwise we'll just be like the chargers or cowboys.  Two underachieving teams thatve had loaded rosters for the past couple of yrs but always seemed to have leadership/chemistry issues

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

My first choice would have been Boldin to come in as a wide receiver to help take all the attention off Moss.  I know what you are saying about team chemistry, that's why you will never hear me say I wan't TO on the team, but Marshall would have been worth taking the chance with IMO.  I like Peppers, I think he would have been a good fit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Some of us need to relax:
    Some people on these boards (not all) are goin crazy about the pats not making any big trades like the jets and dolphins.  Here's a news flash for you guys...WE ARENT GOING TO BE SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS EVERY YEAR, ,hell we wont even be playoff contenders every year.

RESPONSE: That's not acceptable. Both Bob Kraft and BB's stated goal is to build a team that will last...and be good every season. Management must decide whether they are going to rebuild, or reload. As things stand now, the Pats seem to be indecisive...caught in between.

If they're going to reload, they need to stop wasting what's left of the career of Tom Brady...and provide him with the protection and weapons that he needs to be successful. 

Older pats fans know this...The pats dynasty wasnt built after 1 or 2 seasons, huge contributors to those teams (bruschi, Brown, Law, McGinest, Johnson, etc) were drafted 4-5 years before the first championship. Build a team through the draft.  Look at the successful franchises of the decade (Pats, Steelers, Colts).  The core group of their players came up via drafts.

RESPONSE: Yes...building through the draft is the way to go. But, when you're team is repeatedly drafting poorly, as the Patriots have in 3 of the past 4 years, this strategy fails. As much as the Pats need to add talent, they also need to revamp their scouting department (Patrick Chung, Ron Brace, Terrence Wheatly, Shawn Crable, Chad Jackson...YUCK!!). When was the last time the Pats found a "diamond in the rough", from round 4 on? Also...they need to stop signing free agents who are well past their prime, such as David Patten, Joey Galloway, Ron Springs, and Fred Taylor.  

12 of the last 13 super mvps were players who were with the original team that brought them up.  (Brees is the one who wasnt but we can all agree hes a special talent). In other words, Im just saying patience.

RESPONSE: If building a team from scratch, yes...patience is needed. But, when you have an aging franchise QB that you're trying to build your team around, there's no time to waste. Brady is not going to be around forever. 

We may not be the best team in our division this year or even next year, but with 11 picks in the first two rounds between the 2009-2011 drafts, we have a chance to build a new dynasty.  I'll take third place in our division this year if it means for more long term stability.  We're rebuilding...and guys like marshall, holmes, boldin arent exactly the type of guys who ud want to build a a new foundation out of.

RESPONSE: That's unacceptable...unless the Pats go all-out to rebuild. If they do that, then they should be trying to trade Brady and Moss...now. If you're rebuilding, better to finish last and get high draft choices, than to consistently finish in the middle of the pack, and get mediocre ones.

plus...its football...no one thought the jets would get as far as they did last year...pats still got a chance with this team to win it as long as the players and coaches are willing to work for it sorry this post is so long

RESPONSE: The Jets have become good because they've been bold and aggressive. Their GM has made some good trades, and drafted well (with the notable exception of Vernon Gholston). Their coach employs an aggressive defensive strategy aimed at forcing turnovers and getting to the opposing QB...rather than passively sitting back in a "bend but don't break" posture. 

In short, the Pats have become passive. They have drafted poorly, made several poor personnel moves in 2008-09, stubbornly held on to an ineffective DC (Dean Pees), and have steadfastly refused to shell out the money necessary to lure, or maintain, quality assistant coaches.

Posted by dapats1281

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Huggybear999. Show Huggybear999's posts

In Response to Re: Some of us need to relax:
    Good post and I agree somewhat.  Patience, I hear ya!  However, with the plethora of draft picks the Pats can have the best of both worlds now, they can add quality impact vets for now and draft for the future, I think both are possible.  It's very discouraging to see the Pats not go after players that were available who would have given this team a chance to get right back to the top this season. I'm pretty sure there are several vet players that are playing for more than just a paycheck, they are playing for championships.  It would be an insult to them if they aren't given the best opportunity to do so.
    Posted by BradyMossFan

That's funny. Just yesterday afternoon you were ripping posts like this and calling the board Nuthuggers underdoggg. My how your personality has changed. Get in as many posts as you can for your propaganda campaign. You've been exposed nuthugger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I mostly agree, I was really wanting in on the Marshall deal, until I saw what they had to pay him.  Silly money.  I like where we are headed, but I will say, the Jets did some good things for themselves.  Well, minus the Tomlinson thing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I agree that Pats fans posting here need to relax but perhaps for different reasons.  The intensity level has risen pretty high as, it seems to me, have the number of posts that stray from the issue at hand, digressing to the personal. 

I happen to believe that this franchise is in the best of hands from the ownership, to the managment, to the coaching staff.  I do not believe that the Pats were at all asleep at the switch when they didn't aggressively pursue trades for players like Marshall or sign high end free agents like Peppers.  Marshall has more issues than National Geographic and Peppers is an impact player when he chooses to be.  Neither, in my view would have been good fits in Foxboro. 

Now here's my point about relaxing:  There are those who may disagree with what I just posted.  That is their right and that does not make them any lesser a Pats fan than am I.  We simply see the matter differently.  There's no reason for me to attack them, their intelligence or their parentage.  By all means, lets disagree but lets keep it civil.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

My first choice would have been Boldin to come in as a wide receiver to help take all the attention off Moss.  I know what you are saying about team chemistry, that's why you will never hear me say I wan't TO on the team, but Marshall would have been worth taking the chance with IMO.  I like Peppers, I think he would have been a good fit.
    Posted by BradyMossFan

How would you have paid them?  We still had to sign Wilfork and Bodden.....and next year we will have to sign Brady and possibly Moss.....how do you fit Peppers or Boldin or Marshall in?  Please tell me, it would be great to hear your BRILLIANT magic trick!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I don't get it.  Over the years here I have read so many posts about other teams over paying for players as if those teams were foolish.  Somehow, you have led yourself to believe that the pats do not pay for players, just because they did not pay for Ty Law or Assante Samuel. 

IMO - where Ty Law was concerned, it was ok.  they could cover that loss.  Not the case with Samuel. 

I am going to assume that the pats have generally been, relatively speaking, up against the cap like most other teams.  Maybe in some years not so much, but in general, I'd expect them to be much like most other teams - within reasonable proximity to it.  This means that, in fact, the pats do pay.  They paid Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Vince Wilfork.  I assume their starting o-line is well paid. 

So why is it that when another team makes a deal and pays for a top tier player, pats fans are so quick to admonish that team as if they overpaid.  NFL teams charge the fans out the wazoo for tickets, merchandise, etc and make money hand over fist.  If my team is not spending at or near the cap, then for what I pay as their fan, I don't think my team is doing all it can to secure or keep the best players.

Brandon Marshall was worth every dime he got paid.  He is a complete player who will give fits to the entire pats defense.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

Marshall is a top 3 WR in the league so he is not overpaid. Pat's are one of the wealthiest NFL teams so there would be no reason to pay Marshall that contract in a uncapped year especially since Moss's deal is up next year when Marshall would replace him. Pats were almost gonna get Boldin but I heard a report the Pats wanted Boldin to play under his current deal which was a deal breaker for Boldins agent so that trade didn't happen. Pats better hope this years draft gives them some instant impact players cause we may be wasting a couple of Brady's years with this rebuilding excuse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In Response to Some of us need to relax :
    Posted by TexasPat3

diamond in the rough???edelman?  gostkoski was a 4th round pick in 06...and its too early to judge the 09 draft class...mckenzie and myron pryor look like they can be solid contributors on the team...brace isnt looking good but i wouldnt say chung and/or butler are busts.  vollmer looks good.  brandon tate is a wildcard.

we havent had great drafts lately but we havent been horrible...u can argue we've had more bad FA signings and trades (Adalius, Taylor, Burgess, Springs, Smith) then weve had bad drafts.

Yes i agree that the pats need to reevaluate their scouting process.  But im optimistic that theyve done that seeing as they know of their recent draft misses.

Also, the broncos were mediocre from 92-95...according to your estimation, they shouldve just traded john elway and instead of wasting his career....i think we all know what happened at the end.
    Its not gonna take 6 years to rebuild this team...were not the lions, rams, etc...we can rebuild for a few years and come back on top later...with brady still on the team.  Rebuilding isnt wasting time. Hit the next two drafts and we should be serios super bowl contenders again by 2011 (hopefully no lockout).

RESPONSE: That's not acceptable. Both Bob Kraft and BB's stated goal is to build a team that will last...and be good every season. Management must decide whether they are going to rebuild, or reload. As things stand now, the Pats seem to be indecisive...caught in between.

Of course theyre gonna say that...you dont sell tickets when you say ur gonna take a few steps back...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

AND LEMME CLARIFY WHAT I MEAN BY REBUILDING.  i dont actually mean cleaning house and starting over.  i just mean stock piling on a lot of young new players who can provide stability for the long haul...rather than trading picks and such for older and much more expensive players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Marshall is not a top 3 WR.... he is in the conversation of the top 5-7

Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Desean Jackson, Miles Austin

short list of top Wr's. Marshall is for sure in the conversation but not top three of that group

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I don't get it.  Over the years here I have read so many posts about other teams over paying for players as if those teams were foolish.  Somehow, you have led yourself to believe that the pats do not pay for players, just because they did not pay for Ty Law or Assante Samuel.  IMO - where Ty Law was concerned, it was ok.  they could cover that loss.  Not the case with Samuel.  I am going to assume that the pats have generally been, relatively speaking, up against the cap like most other teams.  Maybe in some years not so much, but in general, I'd expect them to be much like most other teams - within reasonable proximity to it.  This means that, in fact, the pats do pay.  They paid Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Vince Wilfork.  I assume their starting o-line is well paid.  So why is it that when another team makes a deal and pays for a top tier player, pats fans are so quick to admonish that team as if they overpaid.  NFL teams charge the fans out the wazoo for tickets, merchandise, etc and make money hand over fist.  If my team is not spending at or near the cap, then for what I pay as their fan, I don't think my team is doing all it can to secure or keep the best players. Brandon Marshall was worth every dime he got paid.  He is a complete player who will give fits to the entire pats defense.
    Posted by underdoggg

You are correct in assuming that the Pats are at around the cap every year....and almost every year they have one player that is paisd in the top 3 of thier position....

Marshall is a really skilled and exceptional player....but they gave 2 2nd round picks and $15 mill per year to a player that is a walking time bomb.....it is a risky move.....and Miami thinks it is worth the risk.....

I also believe that if the league changes the rule for suspending players for off the field issues....it would affect Marshall big time....

If Miami is over the virtual cap, then this is a really bad move....if they are no where near the virtual cap, then it is a risk worth taking.....

Sections
Shortcuts