Some thoughts on Bequette

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Some thoughts on Bequette

I know, I have been hard on him the past couple of summers. 

I did see a different player this summer however. Bigger, stronger, still good footwork. Better technique. Improving. He could help this team eventually If Buchanon struggles or there are injuries. Not suited for 3-4 defense. Could play down the road in a 4-3. 

Credit the kid for his perseverance and hard work. He is improving and could help

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: Some thoughts on Bequette

Agree...BB sees something good .  Hope he continues.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I know, I have been hard on him the past couple of summers. 

I did see a different player this summer however. Bigger, stronger, still good footwork. Better technique. Improving. He could help this team eventually If Buchanon struggles or there are injuries. Not suited for 3-4 defense. Could play down the road in a 4-3. 

Credit the kid for his perseverance and hard work. He is improving and could help

I was actually thinking about him as a slow starting player a la Vrabel/Nink. Both of these guys did nothing their 1st couple years in the league and eventually cracked the lineup when opportunities came. What I noticed watching Bequette play this summer is that he rarely makes mistakes. He had a play where he kept contain and had the QB cornered and made him throw it away. I think he is strong enough to set the edge but not quick enough to play OLB in 3-4. His timing is bad I guess as I thought he could compete this year at end in the 4-3. Not so much at OLB.

The fact he is still here tells me BB thinks he is a late bloomer and has Ninkovich type of potential down the line. Hard working guys who slowly carves out a role. He should be ready by the time Nink wears down a year from now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm really glad we got both him and Boyce through to the practice squad.  I'm fully aware that both guys have been disappointing so far, but sometimes it takes guys while to catch on.  Both players obviously have some talent.  Maybe the demotion will be a wake up call for them.  We will see.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

The kid IS big...he stands out on a field full of large, athletic men...and he moves well for someone his size...maybe he finally gets it this season...sometimes it just takes snaps..good luck to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

First thing I thought when he ended up of the practice squad is what kind of pictures does he have of BB or one of the Krafts?  But really, they must see something in this guy that makes them want to continue working with him.  He is an SEC guy and was an effective player at Arkansas, but you'd have to think he'd have shown something by now other than in preseason for the Pats to keep him around. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I had been watching the last two preseason games over and in particular watching guys like Bequette. 

I thought he played well.  As TripleOG said, he wasn't making mistakes, he was setting the edge and not getting caught inside and was getting pressure on the QB.

Glad to see he made it to the PS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Are you guys ^^^ talking about Jake Bequette, or have the Pats signed another Bequette to the roster?

In the 2nd and 3rd preseason games JB did not even appear on the stat sheet despite playing the majority of defensive snaps.

In the final game, when both teams were playing their non-starters JB finally jumped on a few piles.

JB does not possess enough speed or strength to go up against starting caliber O-Linemen.  Period.  He does not possess enough lateral quickness or general play recognition to shift out of his rush and move inside or out.   Other than that, he's probably fine as a PS player who never sees the field.  He's the Ryan Mallett of D-Linemen (sorry for the slight Ryan).

You do realize he was beaten out of a roster spot by a complete, certified Project by the name of Zach Moore, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Are you guys ^^^ talking about Jake Bequette, or have the Pats signed another Bequette to the roster?

In the 2nd and 3rd preseason games JB did not even appear on the stat sheet despite playing the majority of defensive snaps.

In the final game, when both teams were playing their non-starters JB finally jumped on a few piles.

JB does not possess enough speed or strength to go up against starting caliber O-Linemen.  Period.  He does not possess enough lateral quickness or general play recognition to shift out of his rush and move inside or out.   Other than that, he's probably fine as a PS player who never sees the field.  He's the Ryan Mallett of D-Linemen (sorry for the slight Ryan).

You do realize he was beaten out of a roster spot by a complete, certified Project by the name of Zach Moore, right?

Hey, I never said he was great. I am just trying to give BB the benefit of the doubt and state WHY I think he is still here. IMO, the Pats dont have much at DE after their starters and this will be the 3rd year in a row we can say this..... Is this enough to say BB the GM isnt perfect or Na?  In short, BB has no choice but to keep him and hope he figures it out as no one else he brought in stepped up. Maybe A. Carter is ready to give it a go again..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Every time I go to camp he is the first guy I notice on the football field...he just looks the way defensive end in supposed to look...then I check his number and I say...oh it's just Bequette. I'll do this 5-7 times during the practice, but honestly I don't see him making any plays, I don't think he has the skills. I don't see burst with him, I don't see power, I don't see great athleticism...too me he's a typical JAG. 

Even in that last preseason game it looked like he got great pressure on one of his rushes, but on the replay it showed that extra burst came from someone shoving him at the last second...and he showed bust for his first time in three years here. At first I was like...wow! Finally! Then the replay showed the shove.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

everyone is entitled to an opinion. I saw him quite a bit in one on one drills, and he had his moments...I think Buchanon is on a short leash, and Bequette could be in the mix down the road.

Bottom line, he is getting stronger and better

Time will tell

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

It is safe to say that Zach Moore has shown more in one preseason coming out of Div II than Bequette has in 3 years.  This is like his 3rd redshirt year.  I think Mike Vrabel at least played in the regular season with Pittsburgh before coming here, probably adding value on special teams.  I think Bequette is 0-fer the NFL stats-wise, even on special teams.

What BB sees?  Who knows.  Maybe the expanded practice squad rules give Jake one more shot to show something. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Bequette goes good with brie cheese.  thats about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

everyone is entitled to an opinion. I saw him quite a bit in one on one drills, and he had his moments...I think Buchanon is on a short leash, and Bequette could be in the mix down the road.

Bottom line, he is getting stronger and better

Time will tell

I think you're right on Buchanon, if I was that guy I wouldn't go buying a condo. Personally I think Moore is the one to watch going forward - I think athletically he is superior than Bequette - and the pats like upside.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

in an odd twist he also threw a no hitter for the Dodgers this summer

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

It's nice to see you be positive, Rkarp. Keep up the good work!

Sections
Shortcuts