Some thoughts on yesterday's loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Some thoughts on yesterday's loss

No intention to engage in a 'who shot John' exercise here.  Just some thoughts:

*Very tough to win when a team turns the ball over 4 times.  (2 of the Pats 3 losses included 4 Pats turnovers);
    *For most of the game the D played quite well.  I was particularly impressed with their ability to get off the field on 3rd down.  Down the stretch however the talent deficiencies in the secondary (as well as an inconsistent pass rush) became apparent (3 PI calls as I recall not to mention a great but unmolested catch by the Giants TE);
    *Thus far, Ochocinco is nothing more than a highly paid placeholder.  Yesterday's game highlighted just how far apart he and TB are on his route running.  On one play, had he run the route TB expected him to run it sure looked like it would have been 6.
    *Eli Manning, although not without his flaws, is maturing as a QB.  He showed what he was made of after Arrington picked him off in the end zone.  Seemed to settle himself down after that and came back to play winning football.
    *Giants front 4 is one of the best I've seen in quite some time.  In spite of that, I though the Pats O line held up pretty well for the most part. 

Just a few observations.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss

Your observations indicate that your eyes are certainly open, but the question remains, are the eyes of the coaches open?

One more thing, where is Taylor Price?  This is going to be a mantra for me today.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Even when they play poorly they still give themselves a chance to win.

The offense was really bad, again.  The defense is still mediocre.  They can win with a mediocre defense but not when the offense is playing so bad.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm inclined to agree that Brady was not as sharp again yesterday as we have become accustomed to seeing him.  That poor throw to Hernandez was disappointing as were the two picks. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Offense stunk, Special teams has been horrible all year. Field position whats that? Who would have thought Tate would actually have some use over Ocho? I don't know the last time they had a decent kick return or punt return. Defense played well for 50 some odd minutes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

King, then why the article last Thursday or Friday that he was ready to go and would play on Sunday?  Man this stuff frustrates the hell out of me.  We could use this guy, assuming he's not another Crable or Oherenberger, drafted but never sees the field.  Dowling could be another tease.  Looked great once upon a time, never to be seen again due a stained hammy or weak shins or whatever.

Just so you know, I hate losing.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss:
    In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : I guess you missed the two returns Edelman had against Miami last year.
    Posted by dmpc

Strange.All this time I've thought I have been watching the 2011 season. Living in the past is good stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Just so you know, I hate losing.
    Posted by Dessalines

As do I.  I'm a lot more rational and calm here than I was in front of the TV yesterday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : I guess you missed the two returns Edelman had against Miami last year.
    Posted by dmpc

Last year exactly i would rather have tate who at least had 400 recieving yards last year hes on pace for more than ocho cinco plus he could return

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Brady missed Hernandez wide open in the end zone before half and another Gostkowski embarrassment. He also severley underthrew Ochocino waiting for the ball in the end zone behind Webster. We can  scapegoat the others all day long, but we need Brady to be better. Betrter leader, better passer, better game manager, etc. He's been frankly, AWFUL, the last 3 weeks.  He's singlehandedly  thrown 2 games away for us.  He won one against Dallas, but he bailed he and the offense out of that one as well. O - C D - B+/A- (would be an A if not for the two iffy PI calls) STs - F That's 3 weeks in a row, the offense has been WORSE than the D. It's true.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

The D let an offense without it's best RB and best WR drive 80 yards for the winning score in a little over a minute with the game on the line.  I think an A- is a little generous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Tiem to give the rookie running backs a chance.  2 plays in each half is not enough to judge a running back.  The Giants were weak on the run coming into the game, why not exploit it?  It is time to change the offense gameplan.  The opposing team has figured out how to defend it.  What ever happened to a few trick plays to keep a team honest or a deep throw to make them think you can?  Defenses are just flooding the line and defend the 10-15 yards passes.  This is part of the reason Brady is getting intercepted so often.  Too many defenders within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.  The defense has played better each week.  Last week they were on the field a lot becouse the offense had too many 3 and outs.  This week they were doing well.  They were holding up on 3rd down and in the red zone.  The last drive was a case of penalties killing them not bad defense. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Well de Je Vu all over again

I was afraid of this game

TB has been less than TB like- thats for sure

But i wonder about the passing schemes
    ( Even Trent Dilfer said he wondered about that)

I am ready to take back the good Randy Moss
    Ocho for what ever reason is never on the same page with TB

I was thrilled w/ our D up to the 4th qtr
    Sometimes things go against you
    Both PI calls were on horrible throws by ElI
    And the first - hitting Arrington in the back of the helmut
    just didn't seem like a PI to me - but they call it that way

Eli is good enough to beat you - especially when he get lucky
    but taht INT was stupid.

I wish Chung had tried to knock down that pass instead
    OF WAITING TO INT 

I couldn't believe that the LB went for the run fake

Alot of national press people blame the Pats D
    and how the Giants D out played them - but if you look at the
    stats- the Pats D was much better-
    TB broght us back 2 times in the 4th

We have to learn how to make more  winning plays like Arrington
    I was psyched with Arrington and his INT in the EZ

This Jets game is going to be huge
    We win and we have a very favorable schedule
    at the end or the year - lose and we are into "tie breakers"

it will be very hard to take the 1st 3 game losing streak
    in memory - and against the Jets- and against the Jets who
    were one step away from imploding.

So we have lost 2 games with 4 turnovers
    and got beat up but could have won the 3rd

lastly - there is no great team in the NFL -
    The league is wide open - up and down-
    GB allowed how many points?
    both Pitt and Balt allwed winning drives the the 4th qtr
    It is who gets hot at the end of the year

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

dmpc your posts would be easier if you just pasted 'I don't know what I'm talking about I just know it's never Brady and the offense's fault'

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

What a disappointment (and an understatement).

The offense was bad most of the game and there were two key reasons:
    1. the O line has trouble protecting Brady against teams with strong pass rushes
    2. Brady was just plain bad. Yes he had a hanfful of excellent throws. But he made several very bad decisions and several bad throws. The result was at least one of the interceptions and some missed receivers for first downs and touchdowns. Keep in mind that when QBs like Sanchez are criticized it is not beacuse they never make some really good throws but because their performance is too uneven and they make some bad decisions. Brady has his moments against the Giants but far too many really bad plays.

The D played pretty well for a good portion of the game but in crunch time they could not stop the Giants. This D will hopefully get better but it certainly is not good enough unless the O is stellar (and special teams are at least OK).
    1. Pass rush looks better than at the start of the season but that is not saying almost anything. It just is not good enough. Only when they dial up blitzes do they seem to be able to generate pass rush on demand. And not always then. THis remains, as it has been for a few years, the achilles heal of the team. Hard to say why they have not made any progress here. Haynesworth inside could continue to improve, slowly, step by step. ANd the inside rush will help. But they need more from the front 7.
    2. CBs and Ss: Chung can be a playmaker but he choked on the big completion over the middle - he didnt even see the receiver just the ball (or so it seemed) and though I like him thinking PICK he has to end up ripping that ball away or making a big (legal) hit to dislodge the ball. There are NO other safeties here. THat pass interference call on Brown was amazingly stupid play by Brown. No steady play and no big play from safeties. There were some several good plays for the CBs....  some good coverage. Looked better. But not good enough. Too many plays where there was no intelligence. Law and Harrison not only were good players they were smart players. There looks to be little smarts back there.

I think Solder could help on the O side especially with the pass blocking. That means he has to be on the field a lot more. Brady is great. He is trying to do too much. The rest of the O has to step up and the D especially has to step up (though against the Giants the D did for the first half but the O took NO advantage of it).

On the D side it has to be pass rush.. and I only see two possibilites THIS year:
    1. Haynesworth makes some big steps making the inside rush with Vince a real threat.
    2. Dial up blitzes. You may not want to live that way but until they upgrade the talent of the front seven and barring a huge improvement from the inside and Haynesworth this is the only way this year. Next year lets hope they FINALLY upgrade the front 7 with emphasis on pass rush (but not forgetting run D)./

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Even when they play poorly they still give themselves a chance to win. The offense was really bad, again.  The defense is still mediocre.  They can win with a mediocre defense but not when the offense is playing so bad.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Agreed. The D is also improving weekly. The man coverage is horrible though. They never turn back for the ball. Never. PI all day long.

Greenbay is doing it. Their D is not good, but their offense is cranking.

Sections
Shortcuts