Some thoughts on yesterday's loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss

Brady was terrible in the first half no doubt about it. I'm tiring of the blame game. The fact is that this defense has CONSISTENTLY failed to make the critical stops at the end of games. Really this was a game that we had no business winning but the Giants tried to give it to us on a silver platter. The lack of a deep threat is catching up to us. Remember in A Football Life when Belichick says "if you take Welker away we're DONE." That's really what its beginning to look like. I see these other teams with young huge receivers sprinting down the field making plays and it is disheartening. Next week is a gut check game and right now it's not lookin' good...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I disagree about Brown. Sure the defense played lights out and the offense lost the game, but that P/I call was correct. You cant run into a guy when the ball is still in the air.  Had he atleast waited until the ball hit the ground, he would have been fine,. but you cant run into/tackle guys with the ball in the air.

Those are the rules and frankly thats what we get for having a guy like that in the game with the game on the line.

You know it was a bad move getting rid of Sanders, Meriweather, Page and McGowan all in one offseason for a pair of guys in Barret and Brown who never played the position and Barret actually never  PLAYED AT ALL before this year and was injury prone and you get rid of everyone for 2 unknowns!?!?  I mean this is why we are losing now and why we will lose in the playoffs if/when we get there.

Last week everyone thought we would just bounce back and the Steelers game was an abberation but I knew better facing the Giants front four. I warned that if we didnt play balanced we would lose.  I wonder if Bill popped in the Sb 42 tape for reference? I guess not....too painful I guess. He should have known not to go toe to toe with Gaints D-line and expose Brady, but what do I know...smh

Only been predicting this shyt since 07'

Look at Brady now....looking more and more like Bledsoe every week. Never throws a ball away and now thinks he can juke lineman?

Green Bay's offense hasnt been stymied like ours...I wonder why

Bill O'brien as our coordinator and Mike McMarthy(head coach) for the Pack.

It took 2 years to figure out the spread w/Moss, it took only half a season to figure out the spread the field, horizontal attack.  Need to re-invent ourselves again. Chad  is the only hope, Im afraid. Im done waiting on Taylor made hamstring.

Chad can help, but they have to put him in the gameplan, not this chuck up c rap. Give him a dam bone with a 10 yard yitch early and let him build from there.

Dont Wes and Deion get this luxury of being worked into the offense early w/short passes?  Is Chad really a deep threat at this stage???

KNOW YOUR PERSONELL

Chad wasnt even a threat in Cincy last year.  He let T.O. come in year 1 and almost double his numbers...This was evident and why I never liked the move.

Sure I love Chad the person, he is funny and all but I never wanted him here as I knew he was done and too into tweeting....and now its been proven.

Same for Big Al, never liked him and Im sure noone here liked him until this year. Take the blinders off.  Guys that s uck, s uck everywhere they go and how many guys do we have to release and they go nowhere to see its Belicheck missing on free agents and thats not a positive. Sick of hearing how B.B. is great at releasing players who are done, but WHY did he sign them to begin with?

B.B. is getting fleeced by big names and putting scrap heap out to start...smh

Im sorry, I had to rant...this is frustrating and Im afraid this aint gonna end well.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss:
    In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : The D let an offense without it's best RB and best WR drive 80 yards for the winning score in a little over a minute with the game on the line.  I think an A- is a little generous.
    Posted by pcmIV

Spot on. The D lost the game yesterday. The D and O must be judge on what they do at critical moments. The D is getting better but they still cant win a game at the end. Going all the way back to 06.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Amazing how differing the perspectives are for fans of the same team watching the same game.  I can't really fault the D, despite the PI calls leading to the winning touchdown.  At the risk of appearing to paste and post the same thought repeatedly, it is very difficult to win when a team gives the ball to its opponent 4 times.  That a team has overcome it in the past doesn't necessarily mean that the basic premise is invalid.  Twice this year the Pats have coughed it up 4 times and on both those occasions they lost.  I find it very difficult to believe that those facts are unrelated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

As a Jet fan I have to say all this anger directed at Brady is as amusing as it is confusing.  Brady may not be the QB he was 5-8 years ago but his still a pretty good one.  Yeah he may not be able to carry an offense like he once did but hey, .. everybody gets old.  He just showing his age, .. and only a bit at that.

There are three problems with the Patriots;

1. The secondary is terrible.  Statistically they are one of the worst in the NFL and yesterday they showed it.  That PI call late in the game was a prime example, they literally ran over the receiver.  At that point whether the receiver was in a position to make a play on the ball becomes irrelevant.  Just no situational awareness.

2. Their running game worries nobody.  The running game seems to be there for show only.  The question is; is that by design, the result of not having a RB that can effectively carry a ball 25 times a game or a offensive line that can’t get the job done?  Regardless, a running game without teeth puts Brady in the position of having to carry the offense, .. every game.   Aside from the fact that he’s past that point in his career where he can do that consistently, especially against better teams, once a defense neutralizes the passing game the offense is dead in the water.

3. Relying mainly in the passing game becomes exponentially more difficult when a team doesn’t have a bona fide outside threat that stretches the defense.  And, the Patriots don’t have a deep threat.  Ocho Ciinco is not the answer.  Randy Moss at least had a reputation, which he really didn’t live up to while he was with the Patriots, but he was a threat.  Chad is a self promoting braggart, .. which would be fine if he could back any of it up.  It appears that he either didn’t study the play book or that he and Brady don’t communicate very well.  Neutralize Welker and the passing game is dead.  

Since I’m a Jet fan the natural reaction from Pats fans will be to say that he Patriots beat the Jets already this year, true but not the point.  They will compare Brady to Sanchez, again not the point. The topic is Brady and the Patriots.  QBs get too much credit when things go great and too much blame when they flop.  Brady isn’t the QB he once was but the issue here is that he doesn’t have much to work with. Without a running game and absent a deep threat he’s pretty much on his own with the short passing game.  As the Giants proved yesterday if you squeeze the short passing game and put pressure on Brady you can stop the offense.

I wonder how much the Jets learned from the Giants yesterday.  We’ll find out next Sunday.  Regardless, all the hyperbole aside, the loser will not be out of the playoffs.  So Pats fan have that to look forward to. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Bottom line is the Pats are a good team but not nearly good enough to overcome 3 turnovers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : You just answered the riddle with your reponse. Don;t you know want to know WHAT the root cause  as to why it only appears the "D lost the game" going "back to 06"? I know the answer. Some others do as well. You just said it and apparently don't even know it. Report back from Gillette is: "Our fans suck.  None of them get up any more for the D and they can't see where Brady is failing." Yep. Seems like the Gasper/Felger/Mazz minions all drive down Gillette in their SUVs and wouldn't know a successful football concept if Belichick drew it up on the board in front of them 10 times in a row.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

I was at the SD game and stood up fpr the entire game yelling and screaming. Our section was loud, perhaps because it was opening day.

The fans can have an effect no doubt. Both sides need improvement. My biggest point is when it matters most does the O or D come through. Brady got it done on his last drive and the D did not. I agree it should have to come down to that but it did and the D failed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

heobrien, you make some interesting points and I'm hardpressed to disagree with any of them.  More a matter of degreee than anything else.  I will say, however, that I'm not so much seeing anger directed at Brady (with a few exceptions) but at least attribution for some measure of responsibility for the loss.  I don't think anyone would argue that TB hardly had his best game yesterday.  How much of that is a direct result of over reliance on the passing game, the Giants pass rush, simply a mediocre game by TB or bad karma is an open question. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Well I am going to hang my hat on "they are getting the bad games out of the way now" hook. But I will say if execution does not improve the Pats season may not end in the playoffs but before. Next week we will see how this team will bounce back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

As a Jet fan I have to say all this anger directed at Brady is as amusing as it is confusing.  Brady may not be the QB he was 5-8 years ago but his still a pretty good one.  Yeah he may not be able to carry an offense like he once did but hey, .. everybody gets old.  He just showing his age, .. and only a bit at that. There are three problems with the Patriots; 1. The secondary is terrible.  Statistically they are one of the worst in the NFL and yesterday they showed it.  That PI call late in the game was a prime example, they literally ran over the receiver.  At that point whether the receiver was in a position to make a play on the ball becomes irrelevant.   Just no situational awareness. 2. Their running game worries nobody.   The running game seems to be there for show only.   The question is; is that by design, the result of not having a RB that can effectively carry a ball 25 times a game or a offensive line that can’t get the job done?   Regardless, a running game without teeth puts Brady in the position of having to carry the offense, .. every game.    Aside from the fact that he’s past that point in his career where he can do that consistently, once a defense neutralizes the passing game the offense is dead in the water. 3. Relying mainly in the passing game becomes exponentially more difficult when a team doesn’t have a bona fide outside threat that stretches the defense.   And, the Patriots don’t have a deep threat.   Ocho Ciinco is not the answer.   Randy Moss at least had a reputation, which he really didn’t live up to while he was with the Patriots, but he was a threat.   Chad is a self promoting braggart, .. which would be fine if he could back any of it up.   It appears that he either didn’t study the play book or that he and Brady don’t communicate very well.   Neutralize Welker and the passing game is dead.     Since I’m a Jet fan the natural reaction from Pats fans will be to say that he Patriots beat the Jets already this year, true but not the point.   They will compare Brady to Sanchez, again not the point. The topic is Brady and the Patriots.   QBs get too much credit when things go great and too much blame when they flop.   Brady isn’t the QB he once was but the issue here is that he doesn’t have much to work with. Without a running game and absent a deep threat he’s pretty much on his own with the short passing game.   As the Giants proved yesterday if you squeeze the short passing game and put pressure on Brady you can stop the offense. I wonder how much the Jets learned from the Giants yesterday.   We’ll find out next Sunday.   Regardless, all the hyperbole aside, the loser will not be out of the playoffs.   So Pats fan have that to look forward to.  
    Posted by heobrien

maybe a first to get that kind of anaylsis from a jets fan, but u are right

the S/Brown call is not defendable IMO, the guy was out of control and not used to being in that position and we payed for it.  If it was the other way around we would all want that call so stop it folks.  Rusty I dont care if B.B. was on the phone..

That call was correct.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

The offensive performance was disgusting until the tail end of the game, the defense played pretty damn well I thought, until the end of the game. Special teams play was disgusting throughout the whole game. I'm getting this sinking feeling that it's going to be one and done in the playoffs again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : Spot on. The D lost the game yesterday. The D and O must be judge on what they do at critical moments. The D is getting better but they still cant win a game at the end. Going all the way back to 06.
    Posted by thehub

Critical moments like driving down the field and throwing an INT when you're on the opponents 29? Or maybe missing a chip shot FG? Or how about coughing up the ball near your own goal line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

I have to agree with those that say it's OVER, as much as I hate to! Too many untalented players, sorry drafts, missed opportunities, bad coaching....general lack of talent overall...it didn't happen overnight, but that's the deal....bad football being played by an increasingly bad football team......not what we're used to seeing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Hey Pts fan in PA, can you pass that bong over here for me...??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : Critical moments like driving down the field and throwing an INT when you're on the opponents 29? Or maybe missing a chip shot FG? Or how about coughing up the ball near your own goal line.
    Posted by Evil2012

Maybe people need to define what a "critical" moment is?  I don't consider it a critical moment missing a FG at the end of the first half with the score 0-0.  How about hitting a 45-yarder in the 4th quarter with the score tied at 10.

I don't consider it a critical moment when you throw an interception in the first half of a 0-0 game.  How about throwing a TD on 4th and 8 with 2 mins to go and putting your team ahead 20 to 17?

Critical moments to me are when the game is on the line.  You guys keep saying oh it wasn't the D's fault they lost this game they played well.... except for the 4th quarter.  SAY WHAT???

Yes, the offense played horrible for 3 quarters but when it came to crunch time/critical 4th quarter they put 17 points on the board.

Yes the D played great for 3 quarters and then in crunch time/critical 4th quarter they let the Giants go up and down the field twice, including going 80 yards in 1:15 secs to loss the game.

So it was the DEFENSE that FAILED at the critical points in the game and cost this team the game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Thats because regardless of Bradys play during the game , we know he is a leader and will make up for it if given the chance.

Who is our leader on defense?  Mayo? the guy who had NO tackles yesterday?

One thing stands out watchin B-More play.  They always are in the top five defense and their roster has changed a bunch.  NO longer have Landry. Reed has been hurt a lot last 3 years and the Cb's they have had the last few years would be horrible anywhere else, but you know what the constance is? Thats right!  Sweet Suga' Ray Ray Lewis.  It dont matter who you put with him you are gonna have a great "D" as he always makes sure guys are lined up correctly and keeps them in the game w/excellent calls due to an obsession w/game film and watching opponents and tendencies.

I wish we had that. Mayo is close  in terms of style and he does watch a lot of film, but not nearly close to Lewis....We are lacking in leadership on defense.

We need Rodney Back...guys like Tedy who didnt make excuses...and guess what, they Gone!

Guys cant lead if they dont make plays....take it from a guy who played a lot of sports.

Right now Mayo should be leading and he cant cuz he aint making plays and really hasnt ever since the switch to 4-3. Sure he looked good in preseason when they blitzed him alot, but what is he doing now?  Anyone notice he played yesterday?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

If only I could, it certainly is therapeutic

Hey Pts fan in PA, can you pass that bong over here for me...??
    Posted by JayShizzle45

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from t8pmeasurejob. Show t8pmeasurejob's posts

What makes every loss worse are all the missed opportunities in previous drafts. Time to end the trade down and future pick strategy and start building and playing for the present. We are currently in the future of these previous 3 years of drafts.   This success of this year is suspect at best- next week tells all @ 5-4 or 6-3; very huge. Come draft day 2012 instead of hearing the announcement that  New England has elected to trade down……  let’s hear something other than that because that hasn’t worked.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : Well said, my friend.
    Posted by dmpc

Why because it's as dumb as your reasoning?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on yesterday's loss : Maybe people need to define what a "critical" moment is?  I don't consider it a critical moment missing a FG at the end of the first half with the score 0-0.  How about hitting a 45-yarder in the 4th quarter with the score tied at 10. I don't consider it a critical moment when you throw an interception in the first half of a 0-0 game.  How about throwing a TD on 4th and 8 with 2 mins to go and putting your team ahead 20 to 17? Critical moments to me are when the game is on the line.  You guys keep saying oh it wasn't the D's fault they lost this game they played well.... except for the 4th quarter.  SAY WHAT??? Yes, the offense played horrible for 3 quarters but when it came to crunch time/critical 4th quarter they put 17 points on the board. Yes the D played great for 3 quarters and then in crunch time/critical 4th quarter they let the Giants go up and down the field twice, including going 80 yards in 1:15 secs to loss the game. So it was the DEFENSE that FAILED at the critical points in the game and cost this team the game.
    Posted by Patsman3

So giving away points isn't critical as long as it's not in the last 5 minutes. Could you be any more stupid?

Sections
Shortcuts