somebody explain how slater is on the field as a receiver?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

somebody explain how slater is on the field as a receiver?

could not believe my f'n EYES.  In the biggest game of the year...  The patriots trot out Jackie frieekin slater who could n't catch a cold in the first quarter and throw a hopeless bomb to him....?

the guy has been on this team for ages and takes up a roster spot for his special teams.  HE STINKS AS A WR...    Everybody knows that at this point.

WHy was he out there....?   that is your freiikin gameplan?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: somebody explain how slater is on the field as a receiver?

Agree. Some very questionable play calling yesterday and that one was a doozie. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I must admit I nearly crapped myself when I saw that...I immediately thought wow! We really have no one else to throw the ball to, do we.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Of all the calls made yesterday by the Pats O, that was by far the most puzzling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

That's how bad the receivers were.  Brady had two special teams guys out there are receivers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

the whole thing was perplexing! What is Josh's fascination with throwing a bomb on 3rd and 3??? And then throw it to Slater? I knew right then this wasnt our day. Josh trying to get to cute....AGAIN

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree, and it came in the first series with a 3rd and 3...3rd and 3! All we need is to hit Vereen for a first. We gave Denver the ball too fast. Yesterday was supposed to be about smart play calling, controlling TOp and moving the chains. I wish I knew who called that play and if the intended target was slater or he was a 2nd or 3rd option.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

I mentioned this yesterday. Slater did not line up as a WR all year. He is USELESS at that position.  Why would you go ahead and try that in AFCCG?

The Patriots always try to do something funny in the Playoffs.

Didn't they also do that in the playoffs last year or the year before?  They put Slater in after he hadn't been playing WR in any capacity all year? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Two reasons:

• They have been using Slater as a blocker a lot in  s h o r t  yardage situations.  I think they really were trying to focus on the run and Slater is one of their most effective blocking receivers. 
    • Other than Dobson, Slater is the only tall guy with speed to stretch the field.  If they could have gotten him involved in the passing game, he would have helped compensate for the injury to Thompkins.

I think they had a hope that Slater could be a dual threat (blocker, receiver) almost like a move TE, supplementing Hoomanawanui and Matt Mulligan as well as substituting for Thompkins. It was a bit of a longshot, but I have no problem with them trying.  This team went into that game with a receiving corp that was very weak outside of small slot-type guys and Vereen. They were trying to find another bigger option. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

And since when is  s h o r t  a dirty word?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Well, he's the fastest player on the team, so I think they were trying to capture lightning in a bottle... but it sure goes to show you the shear lack of depth/skill at the WR position on the team.

I sure hope they address the position via FA and the draft... the draft, in particular, is deep and loaded with talent this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

I think PRO explained it as decoying the Broncos into playing run with Slater on the field as a run blocker as he was against the Colts. Makes some sense, it just did not work.

Sorry I posted this late. See above

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

And yet, he was open. 

Had the pass been toward the hash marks instead of to the sideline, he may still be running.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

He is an all pro ST player. To have him run a fly pattern on third and three and ask him to beat coverage and make an over the shoulder catcher is just crazy. It was bad play calling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Spetznaz24's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I mentioned this yesterday. Slater did not line up as a WR all year. He is USELESS at that position.  Why would you go ahead and try that in AFCCG?

The Patriots always try to do something funny in the Playoffs.

Didn't they also do that in the playoffs last year or the year before?  They put Slater in after he hadn't been playing WR in any capacity all year? 

[/QUOTE]

right  against batimore... he was seen flailing and falling to the ground on the ill fated bomb turned into interception in the endzone.   That was the play where pollard tippped the ball to his teammmate who ran it out to like the 30 yard line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, he's the fastest player on the team, so I think they were trying to capture lightning in a bottle... but it sure goes to show you the shear lack of depth/skill at the WR position on the team.

I sure hope they address the position via FA and the draft... the draft, in particular, is deep and loaded with talent this year.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, but why, why then? First series and we only need 3 yards. This drive was about establishing momentum and we took the wind out of our sails before we boarded the boat. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two reasons:

• They have been using Slater as a blocker a lot in  s h o r t  yardage situations.  I think they really were trying to focus on the run and Slater is one of their most effective blocking receivers. 
    • Other than Dobson, Slater is the only tall guy with speed to stretch the field.  If they could have gotten him involved in the passing game, he would have helped compensate for the injury to Thompkins.

I think they had a hope that Slater could be a dual threat (blocker, receiver) almost like a move TE, supplementing Hoomanawanui and Matt Mulligan as well as substituting for Thompkins. It was a bit of a longshot, but I have no problem with them trying.  This team went into that game with a receiving corp that was very weak outside of small slot-type guys and Vereen. They were trying to find another bigger option. 

[/QUOTE]

Clever idea...   dual threat . blocking and tackling...  Except there's  no threat he'll actually catch the football.   HE's terrible and was replaced immediately after.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree, but why, why then? First series and we only need 3 yards. This drive was about establishing momentum and we took the wind out of our sails before we boarded the boat. 

[/QUOTE]

It was their 2nd series.  It's easy to question it in hindsight because the play was unsuccessful, but fans will complain regardless.  They're either not taking enough shots down the field or getting blasted for taking shots down the field.  It was a single play, not sure how it took the wind out of their sails.  They came right back in the next series and went deep again to Edelman, which was, IMO a bigger miss because he was wide open.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is one where seeing the film might help.  (Coaches film isn't available yet.)  My guess is that Slater was mostly there to clear out the corner and create room for an underneath route, but the Broncos kept their coverage in close and Slater ended up in single coverage down the side line.  Brady decided to test that.  If it had worked it would have been a big play.  The question that the film maybe will answer is what alternatives did Brady have underneath and were those as attractive as Slater one-on-one deep?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

Two reasons:

[/QUOTE]

Suggestion: instead of s h o r t, let's use "height challenged" or "lacking length," depending on the context, so as not to offend the munchkin moderators.

Seriously, what is that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I liked the idea of taking advantage of single coverage deep off play action(I think?)...,,, but when I saw it was Slater as I was shouting that Dobby had another drop, I figured Dobson wasn't really going to play. Then when I saw Dob out there, I wondered wtttfffff......

Point being, why not use your 2nd rd pick?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is one where seeing the film might help.  (Coaches film isn't available yet.)  My guess is that Slater was mostly there to clear out the corner and create room for an underneath route, but the Broncos kept their coverage in close and Slater ended up in single coverage down the side line.  Brady decided to test that.  If it had worked it would have been a big play.  The question that the film maybe will answer is what alternatives did Brady have underneath and were those as attractive as Slater one-on-one deep?

[/QUOTE]

Good point. when or if you watch the coaches tape, look to Brady's left about 8 yards downfield. It looked to me collie was open crossing.it happened quick, but I thought Brady looked at him for split second then decided to go deep to slater.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I thought we should've put Vereen out wide to add speed on the outside,

not slater.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was their 2nd series.  It's easy to question it in hindsight because the play was unsuccessful, but fans will complain regardless.  They're either not taking enough shots down the field or getting blasted for taking shots down the field.  It was a single play, not sure how it took the wind out of their sails.  They came right back in the next series and went deep again to Edelman, which was, IMO a bigger miss because he was wide open.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, but the beginning of the game we have to establish momentum At risk of giving Gomie the ball and him putting up points. For me it's about extending drives and not taking risky chances using a guy who hasn't done squat in the WR dept this season. The deep miss to Edelman was all on Brady. It was perfectly set up.

Sections
Shortcuts