Someone Makes A Case

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Someone Makes A Case

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see this thread hasn't gone the way rusty planned...I'll throw a couple of names out there...Mike Brown (fleeced us in the Ocho deal and laughed his butt off when we "stole" Fanene away). Ozzie Newsome. Bill Parcells...at least he can build a defense. Pete Carroll...I know he got lucky, but Belichick did at one time too (see patriots 2000- 2004). Whoever got all that talent for the Texans knows how to draft, only problem is they don't have the coach or the quarterback...put Brady and Belichick there and they win it evey year. I love how the 49ers built that defense. Ted Thompson is pretty smart and patient. Kevin Colbert built something that consistently has done pretty good over there, they're sitting home and need to be rebuilt right now, but they've won two Super Bowls in the time we haven't won any. Hell you can throw John Elway in there too - the guy turned that thing around very quickly...what's his record since he's been there? How has he done rebuilding a offensive unit that McDanials destroyed...last time I checked they statistically have become the best in NFL history...not bad for the original horse face.

Funny little story about the 49ers defense - first rusty thinks they aren't any good, and then he tells me they are built off of top ten picks. Not true! They have traded for players. They have signed free agents. They have found guys in the later rounds. They have hit on their high picks too. They used all their resources to build that thing.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

Welp Joshy is being courted once again so maybe we can dead this talk of him taking over here as coach. So who comes in? Can we maybe get a guy that used to be a coach and couldnt cut it but is happy with being a coordinator? I actually think Matty P is getting better.He has called a blitz in each of the last 4 games!! AND I saw some emotion from him last week as he yelled at Chandler after a big sack. Seems they expect a lot from him. Just like others, poor CJ has worn down due to no other threat on the line as well as Buchanan not being trusted to spell him and will likely be a non factor in the playoffs....smh

I would like to see what Mike Sherman would do here calling the plays or Sean Payton but he aint going nowhere.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see this thread hasn't gone the way rusty planned...I'll throw a couple of names out there...Mike Brown (fleeced us in the Ocho deal and laughed his butt off when we "stole" Fanene away). Ozzie Newsome. Bill Parcells...at least he can build a defense. Pete Carroll...I know he got lucky, but Belichick did at one time too (see patriots 2000- 2004). Whoever got all that talent for the Texans knows how to draft, only problem is they don't have the coach or the quarterback...put Brady and Belichick there and they win it evey year. I love how the 49ers built that defense. Ted Thompson is pretty smart and patient. Kevin Colbert built something that consistently has done pretty good over there, they're sitting home and need to be rebuilt right now, but they've won two Super Bowls in the time we haven't won any. Hell you can throw John Elway in there too - the guy turned that thing around very quickly...what's his record since he's been there? How has he done rebuilding a offensive unit that McDanials destroyed...last time I checked they statistically have become the best in NFL history...not bad for the original horse face.

Funny little story about the 49ers defense - first rusty thinks they aren't any good, and then he tells me they are built off of top ten picks. Not true! They have traded for players. They have signed free agents. They have found guys in the later rounds. They have hit on their high picks too. They used all their resources to build that thing.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

Welp Joshy is being courted once again so maybe we can dead this talk of him taking over here as coach. So who comes in? Can we maybe get a guy that used to be a coach and couldnt cut it but is happy with being a coordinator? I actually think Matty P is getting better.He has called a blitz in each of the last 4 games!! AND I saw some emotion from him last week as he yelled at Chandler after a big sack. Seems they expect a lot from him. Just like others, poor CJ has worn down due to no other threat on the line as well as Buchanan not being trusted to spell him and will likely be a non factor in the playoffs....smh

I would like to see what Mike Sherman would do here calling the plays or Sean Payton but he aint going nowhere.

[/QUOTE]

It cracks me up that anyone would give Josh McDanials another shot as a head coach. You want to put him at coordinator with Tom Brady throwing the ball? Fine, but to put "fist pumping, throw your hat in the air" McDanials as your head coach is ludicrous. I won't cry when he leaves/if he leaves. Lombardi wants to hire him? I think that's further proof he should go back to that third world draft website he used to work for...this is the guy who thought Mallett should of been a top 15 pick...what's that tell you about the guy? That comment alone should of been enough to banish him from the NFL for life.

It makes me laugh how rusty calls Lombardi a genius because he worked for Belichick. These two didn't even speak to each other for like 8 years because they hated each other.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to the-redsox-rule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any GM that has won a SB since 2005, is a better GM

Any GM that has put out better than a bottom feeder DEFENSE for the past 5 years, is a better GM

Any GM that doesn't hamper his HoF QB with nothing but rookie and failed drafted and FA receivers, is a better GM.

Any GB that can draft DB's that make it past their rookie contract, is a better GM.

Any GM that rebuilds on the fly in less than 5 years, is a better GM.

Any Gm that doesn't have more dead money than he is paying his HoF QB, year after year, is a better GM

Any GM that doesn't have TB, saving his pathetic team, on the field and with the cap, year after year, is a Better GM.

Pioli 3, BB nothing.   FACT!!!!!

Any questions?

[/QUOTE]
    so

so by that logic the best qb is the one who won the superbowl.. or does winning only apply to the gm? brilliant

[/QUOTE]

He's a moron. He thinks Ben Roethlisberger or Eli is better than Brady because EACH has two rings since Brady's last.  The irony of Brady playing worse than Eli in each SB, too.

He has no logic. He has desperation logic because he's nervous with Brady's upcoming postseason performance and what it means if Brady underperforms yet again for the team and the fans.

[/QUOTE]

Nope!  I think the Steelers and Giants and Ravens, ect... were better constucted teams.  Sure do!

Proof is in the pudding

Teams with 92.7 DPR's don't win  Super Bowls.  FACT

[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense.  We were in 2 SBs and our QB sucked in each off a two poor AFC title games.

So if you mean Brady was part of a poor offense in the postseason, when it mattered, then we agree.

[/QUOTE]

No, I think Brady did his best to try and win with the cards he was dealt.  His hand was crap, despite winning 2 of those 3 games.  The D tried real hard to give it to Flacco in 2011, too,.  If not for a missed FG. They would have.  Brady also had a rushing TD (almost decapitated) which you somehow fail to mention.  Ever

Fact:  In each and every loss, the D gave up the lead.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any GM that has put out better than a bottom feeder DEFENSE for the past 5 years, is a better GM

Any GM that doesn't hamper his HoF QB with nothing but rookie and failed drafted and FA receivers, is a better GM.

Any GB that can draft DB's that make it past their rookie contract, is a better GM.

Any Gm that doesn't have more dead money than he is paying his HoF QB, year after year, is a better GM

Any GM that doesn't have TB, saving his pathetic team, on the field and with the cap, year after year, is a Better GM.

Any questions?

[/QUOTE]

"Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well."

The greatest GM of all time is clearly Bill Belichick, so who do you think is better.

Have you, Babe or any in your group presented a name and the follow up case to support this better GM?

Any other team in this situatioin would have collpased outright this year and all the other supposed great or superior GMs are seeing .500 seasons.

Heck, even GB barely dribbled out 8 wins with Rodgers missing half the season and BB had 11 wins in 2008 with a QB who hadn't played in a decade and Brady missed the WHOLE SEASON.

Name the GM and make the case  or you flat out lose yet again.

Your choice. Name the GM and then make the case.

[/QUOTE]

Players Bill Walsh drafted:

Joe Montana

Ronnie Lott

Charles Haley

Jerry Rice

Jon Taylor

He also traded a 2nd and 4th pick for Steve Young

I'd put those picks alone against anyones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any questions?

[/QUOTE]

"Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well."

The greatest GM of all time is clearly Bill Belichick, so who do you think is better.

Have you, Babe or any in your group presented a name and the follow up case to support this better GM?

Any other team in this situatioin would have collpased outright this year and all the other supposed great or superior GMs are seeing .500 seasons.

Heck, even GB barely dribbled out 8 wins with Rodgers missing half the season and BB had 11 wins in 2008 with a QB who hadn't played in a decade and Brady missed the WHOLE SEASON.

[/QUOTE]

You may be correct on BB being best ever. I know I have been critical of him in the past, but its nothing more than having higher expectations for an elite GM and HC. Yes, he has had his share of misses. Yes, there is a lot of dead money. But, he has delivered 3 rings in 5 chances, with an impressive regular season W-L record, and his team has been in the playoffs nearly every year he has run the show. Finally, he has done it in the cap era. Imagine if this was pre cap with Brady the QB and krafts wallet...oh my.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any questions?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe Montana

Ronnie Lott

Charles Haley

Jerry Rice

Jon Taylor

[/QUOTE]

Bingo. 

I think we need to think cap era and precap era. It's impossible to compare an executive with unlimited resources to one that has his resources controlled via a spending limit. 

Walsh - precap era

belichek - cap era

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

Still think they are a 9-7 team and if not for Brady's (5) last minute comebacks they would be 7/9.

I also think they were VERY fortunate that the Steelers, Ravens and Texans, (all last years PO teams) and to some degree Saints, sucked this year.  Very Fortunate.

Can you deny that or do you reside in La La land?

[/QUOTE]

It is true that the Patriots have played in their fair share of close games.  By my count they have played in 11 games decided by a TD or less winning 7 of them.  Now I wouldn't classify winning 7 out of 11 games incredibly lucky, but let's examine a few of them because I think they illustrate something important.

In the Falcons, Texans and first Jets game I saw a defense get a game sealing stop (you know the thing you always complain about the defense being unable to do).

In the Browns game I saw that "27th ranked STs" (no idea what that means) execute  a perfect onside kick to get the ball back to Brady to work his magic.

In the Saints game I saw the defense get the ball back to the offense multiple times in the waning moments of the game.

In the first Bills game I saw the defense only give up 14 points and ZERO in the 4th quarter.

In the Broncos game I saw the defense hold Manning in check in the 2nd half, force some critical turnovers and keep Manning out of the end zone multiple times in OT which allowed that "27 ranked STs" to make a big play to seal the game.

The point here is that while Brady and the offense deserve a ton of credit for a lot of the close wins, those other units that you constantly complain about helped win those games as well.  Oh and just for fun I looked up the Patriots DPR (you know that stat you keep whining about the 2011 team about).  It was 9th in the NFL this year.  Isn't that the one stat you judge a defense by according to you?

If you are going to stand here and say that the Patriots were lucky in a lot of their close wins, how about being unlucky in their close losses?  Carolina and Jets 2 both had 2 of the most controversial and essentially game deciding calls/non-calls in the NFL this season.  If a monsoon doesn't start at the end of the Bengals game maybe we tie it up. If Gronk's knee doesn't get blown up maybe we punch it in against Miami.

The point here is you can't just say "well if everything had gone wrong in the Patriots' close wins they would have a bad record" and present that as analysis.  It is meaningless.  Maybe this Belichick guy isn't the clueless buffoon you make him out to be when it comes to assembling our team.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to dispute every game with you, that's futile, although I think the first 3 games were won by the defense.

Truthfully, I don't feel that they couldn't have been won by the Browns or the Cowboys defense either.  Rookie first game, rookie second game, DOA Josh freeman.  Woopie!

The bigger issue was the blown up Offense, which is what my problem was to begin with.

No QB starts with 3 rookies and a converted QB as their starters.  So, the D basically HAD to win those games, as weak as they were. Again, not a great accomplishment, considering the foes, or lack of them.

The preseason was horrendous.  The previous preseasons were horrendous.  Fa was a joke, although not a funny one.  When 1/3rd of your team starters are rookies and UDFA's, that is not a good thing.  It's a problem.

Finally after Brady got his receivers going, they started winning and scoring.  This wasn't until week 6.  The comeback wins to that point were miraculous.  The comeback wins after that point were miraculous

When the D started playing good O's they faltered, giving up 28-30 points a game.

They've improved in passer rating because everyone and their mother was running on their very poor run D.  The result is STILL an extremely poor 3rd down D.

They Still can't get off the field.  They are still having 7, 8, 9 possession games as a result.

They as stated, were very fortunate last year play-off teams sucked.

Yes, they are still winning.  They are a resilient team.  They are a well coached and QB'd team.  They have been very fortunate that things have gone their way, in most cases.

I just don't think they are a particularly talented team and haven't from the beginning.

That hasn't changed.  I'm just calling it as I see it.  Sorry, no excuses and no sugar coating.  They are my team and I love them but they are like your dumb kid.  Sometimes you have to admit they are not going to be class president, despite your best wishes.

I make my living by seeing things as they are.  If that offends you or any one else, sorry but I make no apologies.  It is what it is.

Now, we get to see how far resilience and good coaching and a HoF QB takes us.

I just wish we had the talent to match that.  Then, there would be no doubt and no 9/7 prediction.  Here's hoping for over achievers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

[QUOTE]

Any questions?

[/QUOTE]

Excellent post. Can't be refuted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Joe Montana

Ronnie Lott

Charles Haley

Jerry Rice

Jon Taylor

[/QUOTE]

This will go ignored.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no question that BB is a great coach, maybe even the best of all time. His credentials as a GM are not as stratospheric but his peers rank him highly as a GM as well. Any objective measure would say that BB's defensive draft picks did not work out as well as they should have but by the same token, overall, between draft picks, UDFAs and free agents, no team has been put together as meticulously from 1 to 53 as the Patriots. Injuries have had less effect on the Patriots than any other team in recent memory, and 2013 is a testament to that.

#4 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/19068484/the-top-10-nfl-front-offices)

#1 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1702753-ranking-the-8-best-front-offices-in-the-nfl-today/page/9)

#7 (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/08/10/not-you-jerry-power-ranking-the-top-15-general-managers-for-the-2013-nfl-season/)

#1 owner/GM/coach combo (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-09-22/sports/chi-100922-four-corners_1_patriots-ken-murray-sam-farmer)

#4 (http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/top-10-draft-masters-nfls-top-10-general-managers)

One of top 4 for charting draft strategy (http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/bill_polian_believes_jerry_reese_is_one_of_the_best_gms_in_the_nfl/10516496)

#1 draft rank from 2001-2010 (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/decade-the-making-the-ultimate-nfl-draft-grades/2419/)

[/QUOTE]

WOW! Quite a list you compiled. Most of these guys won't copy and past these links in their browser though, they don't want to respond to those rankings..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The miserable season could have happened due to the GMs inability to get quailty guys to catch the ball.

If not for the savior Tom Brady, this team would be 4-12 at best.

I mean, seriously.  A failed QB turned kick returner is the top receiver.  What a joke.  Tom Brady is just that awesome.

[/QUOTE]

100 catches is a joke? If you know hockey the way you know football you should become a soccer fan!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Any questions?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe Montana

Ronnie Lott

Charles Haley

Jerry Rice

Jon Taylor

[/QUOTE]

Cannot argue with you there...the guy knew football...one of the few true leading intellects among NFL coaches

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

Excellent post. Can't be refuted.

He's saying that 31 GMs are better than Belichick. That can't be refuted?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:
    [QUOTE]Excellent post. Can't be refuted.
    [/QUOTE]
    He's saying that 31 GMs are better than Belichick. That can't be refuted?

[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like the ravings of a maniac.....that is much more likely true than 31 other GM's being better than BB! In fact, BB is by far the best GM in his division...not even a comparison...Idzik (BWAHAHAHA!!!)?...Ireland (BWAHAHAHA!!!)? The immortal Doug Whaley(BWAHAHAHAHA!!!)?

BB is one of the best GM's OF ALL TIME!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Joe Montana only went to 4 super bowls with an array of hall of famers. He must be vastly overrated because Tom Brady went to 5 super bowls with a collection of misfits.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt they give a guy GM of the year for hiring the Coach of the year,  not too mention I think the Hunt family hired Ried.

I would agree Seattle has done the best job, they were not picking in the top 10 every year like how san fran built their dominate offensive and defensive lines. I think BB is 2nd and its really not close after that. Top 10 defense, top 5 offense,  on top of having the most key long term injuries in the league.  Amazing, team building, amazing coaching,  amazing players! What a great team!

[/QUOTE]

Ok, so hiring the coach of the year and getting some nice complimentary pieces along with getting a legit QB isn't enough. Fair enough since it was his first year and all.

How about Howie Roseman this past year. Now you can't tell me hiring Kelly wasn't a great move, he had a strong draft, good FA pickups (Williams, Barwin, Fletcher) and it's pretty clear who got the best of the trade between him and BB. Most years I'd say BB was the better GM but in 2013 Roseman certainly is in the conversation as the better GM. 

Sea is of course in the convo too

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Joe Montana only went to 4 super bowls with an array of hall of famers. He must be vastly overrated because Tom Brady went to 5 super bowls with a collection of misfits.

[/QUOTE]

Perfect! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] 

Still think they are a 9-7 team and if not for Brady's (5) last minute comebacks they would be 7/9.

I also think they were VERY fortunate that the Steelers, Ravens and Texans, (all last years PO teams) and to some degree Saints, sucked this year.  Very Fortunate.

Can you deny that or do you reside in La La land?

[/QUOTE]

It is true that the Patriots have played in their fair share of close games.  By my count they have played in 11 games decided by a TD or less winning 7 of them.  Now I wouldn't classify winning 7 out of 11 games incredibly lucky, but let's examine a few of them because I think they illustrate something important.

In the Falcons, Texans and first Jets game I saw a defense get a game sealing stop (you know the thing you always complain about the defense being unable to do).

In the Browns game I saw that "27th ranked STs" (no idea what that means) execute  a perfect onside kick to get the ball back to Brady to work his magic.

In the Saints game I saw the defense get the ball back to the offense multiple times in the waning moments of the game.

In the first Bills game I saw the defense only give up 14 points and ZERO in the 4th quarter.

In the Broncos game I saw the defense hold Manning in check in the 2nd half, force some critical turnovers and keep Manning out of the end zone multiple times in OT which allowed that "27 ranked STs" to make a big play to seal the game.

The point here is that while Brady and the offense deserve a ton of credit for a lot of the close wins, those other units that you constantly complain about helped win those games as well.  Oh and just for fun I looked up the Patriots DPR (you know that stat you keep whining about the 2011 team about).  It was 9th in the NFL this year.  Isn't that the one stat you judge a defense by according to you?

If you are going to stand here and say that the Patriots were lucky in a lot of their close wins, how about being unlucky in their close losses?  Carolina and Jets 2 both had 2 of the most controversial and essentially game deciding calls/non-calls in the NFL this season.  If a monsoon doesn't start at the end of the Bengals game maybe we tie it up. If Gronk's knee doesn't get blown up maybe we punch it in against Miami.

The point here is you can't just say "well if everything had gone wrong in the Patriots' close wins they would have a bad record" and present that as analysis.  It is meaningless.  Maybe this Belichick guy isn't the clueless buffoon you make him out to be when it comes to assembling our team.

[/QUOTE]

Bump

Sections
Shortcuts