Someone smoke up Xavier Rhodes please...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Someone smoke up Xavier Rhodes please...

Xavier Rhodes has been my draft binky for the last few weeks. At 6-1, 210 and the ability to play corner or safety, he seems like a Bill Belichick type of defensive back. Unfortunately (or fortunately) he just ran a 4.4 at the combine. I am afraid he will now be a top 20 selection with that size, speed, and ACC pedigree.

If someone could give him some of Jamaica's finest, he might drop to the second round - ensuring him a Patriots jersey come draft day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Someone smoke up Xavier Rhodes please...

He's a good binky to have. My top favorite DB for pick #29

Jon Jenkins was my binky for awhile until I found out Hankins might be available at #29. But, after the combine, watching more tape, and listening to what people are saying about interviews Margus Hunt might be my new binky

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I initially really like Rhodes too, but I think there are some better corners in the Rhodes range like Slay and Davis to name 2. Yes, Rhodes is fast, but he is stiff. He isn't as fluid as I would want, but he has good size. I think bb grabs Slay after a trade back with pick 29.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Eng...if bb takes a DL at 29, I want it to be Hunt. just has too much potential to pass up, and we could play him iniside or out. I really like him and his ceiling is just about higher than anyone's maybe less ansah. I have this weird feeling bb passes over the DT talent we kep talking about and  goes cb after a trade back from 29. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

How about a Rambo Slay team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I initially really like Rhodes too, but I think there are some better corners in the Rhodes range like Slay and Davis to name 2. Yes, Rhodes is fast, but he is stiff. He isn't as fluid as I would want, but he has good size. I think bb grabs Slay after a trade back with pick 29.

Stiff? I thought I read he had one of the best three cone times?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Nevermind...you're right. That was Logan Ryan with the good 3 cone time. Another DB binky.

In response to TitleTown11's comment:

Stiff? I thought I read he had one of the best three cone times?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Eng...if bb takes a DL at 29, I want it to be Hunt. just has too much potential to pass up, and we could play him iniside or out. I really like him and his ceiling is just about higher than anyone's maybe less ansah. I have this weird feeling bb passes over the DT talent we kep talking about and  goes cb after a trade back from 29. 

There is no denying Hunt's potential.  I too would be happy if we picked him at 29, but his lack of football experience and the fact he wasn't overly productive at SMU would be slightly troubling.  If he's a coachable guy, then his high celing would be worth the gamble.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Sorry, yes you are right. I was high on Rhodes earlier in the process and still am . I think he goes before 29. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the 2nd cb taken after milliner. He is better i think than banks and some others discussed in round 1. There should be some very good cb talent available all the way through round 2. I could see Rhodes selected by the Bucs in round 1.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The question on Rhodes isn't so much talent as much as how he fits NE's scheme and draft tendancies.  He's a press CB that doesn't exactly fit with what BB/NC appear to value in a CB today (i.e. good COD, zone awareness and the ability to read/react in space)... if he's available, and they snag him in Rd 1, it's clear to me that there's been a bit of a philosphical change in their scheme/go forward plan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Xavier Rhodes has been my draft binky for the last few weeks. At 6-1, 210 and the ability to play corner or safety, he seems like a Bill Belichick type of defensive back. Unfortunately (or fortunately) he just ran a 4.4 at the combine. I am afraid he will now be a top 20 selection with that size, speed, and ACC pedigree.

If someone could give him some of Jamaica's finest, he might drop to the second round - ensuring him a Patriots jersey come draft day.

"If someone could give him some of Jamaica's finest, he might drop to the second round - ensuring him a Patriots jersey come draft day."

nice idea. :)

began putting him at 29 4-6 weeks ago before any mention on the mock thread

if we got some serious pass rush help in fa, we could go rhodes in rd 1. 

otherwise pass rusher is our #1 need and should be our first pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i havent had the time to go deeper with a lot of players.

if you cna get height, arm length and a great press cover man, and esp after rd 1, awesome.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He's a good binky to have. My top favorite DB for pick #29

Jon Jenkins was my binky for awhile until I found out Hankins might be available at #29. But, after the combine, watching more tape, and listening to what people are saying about interviews Margus Hunt might be my new binky

hunt has been on the back of my rd 1 pas rsuher list ever since nate turned us on to him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

There is no denying Hunt's potential.  I too would be happy if we picked him at 29, but his lack of football experience and the fact he wasn't overly productive at SMU would be slightly troubling.  If he's a coachable guy, then his high celing would be worth the gamble.

He may be like SeaBass, with all the talk about him being a late participant in the sport and he played at a small program with no big time competition.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

i have several pass rushers id like ahead or him because of all of that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

The question on Rhodes isn't so much talent as much as how he fits NE's scheme and draft tendancies.  He's a press CB that doesn't exactly fit with what BB/NC appear to value in a CB today (i.e. good COD, zone awareness and the ability to read/react in space)... if he's available, and they snag him in Rd 1, it's clear to me that there's been a bit of a philosphical change in their scheme/go forward plan.

agree with your final point, been wanting bb to make the switch for a while to compete on def. and when we got talib, that's is what we did. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

agree with your final point, been wanting bb to make the switch for a while to compete on def. and when we got talib, that's is what we did. 

Ras-I is cut from this cloth as well...if he can ever stay on the field.

With Belichick, versatility is the name of the game. Just like he has players who can be OLBs in odd-man fronts or DEs in even-man fronts, lineman who can play guard or tackle, d-lineman who can play end or tackle...he will also have defensive backs that can cover (Dennard, Arrington), those that can press (Talib, Ras-I), and if I get my wish - those that can play corner/safety (McCourty, Rhodes?!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

I would love to see a guy this big drafted.  He has a lot of upside.  At six feet eight inches tall, he doesn't,t need to get that close to the QB to cause a lot of disruption.  I could see him knocking down a lot of passes.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree...but didn't we see that shift somewhat last year when they traded for Talib? It's amazing how different the defense looked in man vs zone and Talib being physical at the line. When he got injured in the AFCc, the entire defense seemed to change, reverting back to that soft zone they are so famous for. I think the time is now to get this defense to play more aggressively. Another press type of corner would help, with some physical safety play and an improved pass rush.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In response to brazilnut's comment:

I would love to see a guy this big drafted.  He has a lot of upside.  At six feet eight inches tall, he doesn't,t need to get that close to the QB to cause a lot of disruption.  I could see him knocking down a lot of passes.

I think he blocked something like 14 kicks in college if I'm not mistaken...

He obviously has potential, but I worry about Mamula syndrome with him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Having picked up Armstead and Vega along with Wilfork, Love, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Jones, Deaderick, Pryor (still), Francis, Bequette, Hightower - I don't see Hunt (who is a project! I have to emphasize that) as a must-have first-rounder...I'd rather have the Pats use their top pick in the secondary on Rhodes (shallow position...if they can get him) and use one of their later picks on D-Line which is by all accounts one of the deeper positions in the draft. I do agree that bolstering both the offensive and defensive line is important, but I think that can be done with other selections.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In my ideal world...

1Rd: Rhodes CB/S

2Rd: Sylvester Williams DT

3Rd: DJ Swearinger S

Alternative (if Rhodes is gone)

1Rd: Trade back for 2nd/3rd (Draft Value Chart says any 2nd/3rd combo below 46th overall is equivalent to 29th overall)

2RdA: Sylvester Williams DT

2RdB: Logan Ryan CB

3RdA: Justin Hunter WR

3RdB: DJ Swearinger S

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Having picked up Armstead and Vega along with Wilfork, Love, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Jones, Deaderick, Pryor (still), Francis, Bequette, Hightower - I don't see Hunt (who is a project! I have to emphasize that) as a must-have first-rounder...I'd rather have the Pats use their top pick in the secondary on Rhodes (shallow position...if they can get him) and use one of their later picks on D-Line which is by all accounts one of the deeper positions in the draft. I do agree that bolstering both the offensive and defensive line is important, but I think that can be done with other selections.

Right now I wouldn't consider Armstead and Vega anything more then camp bodies until they've shown they can play in the NFL. Pryor, Deadrick, Francis, Bequette are all role players and subs not really starters. Cunningham was a camp bubble last year that made the team with PEDs. After he was caught he did nothing and revert back to the previous years Cunningham. I don't expect him around next year. Hihgtower is a OLB not an interior rusher. Nink I like but a number of posters believe he needs to be upgraded badly. That leaves 2 starters out of everyone you listed and the interior rush was a huge factor last year. When they were able to get pressure the secondary looked fine but when they couldn't the secondary fell apart quick. That's the way of D. A good-great pass rush can compensate for a bad secondary if it can get to the QB in the first 3s but even a great secondary will fall apart if the QB is given enough time. A good pass protection D starts at the line and ripples out.

In the end depth doesn't matter if you don't have the starters to lead the line

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

But is it guaranteed that the rookie drafted at number 29 overall will be a starter? They will be no different than the other role players/camp bodies I listed. Pressure can come from the inside or outside - as long as it gets there. My point is that the Pats already have a slew of front seven players including ones with upside that can rush the passer from inside or outside. Adding to that group is a good idea for long term success, but there are defensive lineman (S. Williams, K. Short, etc) that can be had in the 2-3 rounds. In the secondary, the Pats are devoid of talent and short on bodies given the uncertainties with Dennard, Talib, and Ras-I. The defensive backs in this draft aren't as deep as the defensive lineman so I'd like to see BB prioritize and grab the DB first, DL second. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

But is it guaranteed that the rookie drafted at number 29 overall will be a starter? They will be no different than the other role players/camp bodies I listed. Pressure can come from the inside or outside - as long as it gets there. My point is that the Pats already have a slew of front seven players including ones with upside that can rush the passer from inside or outside. Adding to that group is a good idea for long term success, but there are defensive lineman (S. Williams, K. Short, etc) that can be had in the 2-3 rounds. In the secondary, the Pats are devoid of talent and short on bodies given the uncertainties with Dennard, Talib, and Ras-I. The defensive backs in this draft aren't as deep as the defensive lineman so I'd like to see BB prioritize and grab the DB first, DL second. 

Just as much a guarantee that Rhodes would start. We know that other then Vega and Armstead the others guys are back up role players. Chances are Armstead and Vega won't be starters either so the odds of finding a starter at 29 are much better then what we currently have. Besides you can make a case that Davis, Slay, Ryan could all be in the 2nd round too and you can even get Mathieu in the 3rd who has the talent to be a top end slot CB, which is Talib is resigned and Dennard doesn't see much jail time we are looking at a 3rd CB to the team