Soon to be free agant julian edelman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan95. Show BostonFan95's posts

Soon to be free agant julian edelman

Michael (South Florida)

What do you think going to happen with julian edelman for next year do you think he well be back. Even though they have Amendola on a 5-year deal (could they cut him) and the 3 Rookie wideouts and a huge "?" At TE. Well they be able to bring back edelman on what terms

Tedy   (2:22 PM)

Let's consider the mindset of a professional athlete like Julian Edelman. He was a seventh-round draft choice in 2009 who has been on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of earnings in his first five seasons in the NFL. He is 27 years old and this is probably his last shot to cash in for his future. I see Edelman testing the market. He has every right to do so and I think he should. Judging by what I've seen from him this year, the Patriots probably won't be able to match what he receives on the open market.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/49645

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Re: Soon to be free agant julian edelman

In response to BostonFan95's comment:

Michael (South Florida)

What do you think going to happen with julian edelman for next year do you think he well be back. Even though they have Amendola on a 5-year deal (could they cut him) and the 3 Rookie wideouts and a huge "?" At TE. Well they be able to bring back edelman on what terms

Let's consider the mindset of a professional athlete like Julian Edelman. He was a seventh-round draft choice in 2009 who has been on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of earnings in his first five seasons in the NFL. He is 27 years old and this is probably his last shot to cash in for his future. I see Edelman testing the market. He has every right to do so and I think he should. Judging by what I've seen from him this year, the Patriots probably won't be able to match what he receives on the open market.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Good for Julien, he like so many others before him...Branch, Welker, Givens, Patten, Troy Brown, Hern, Gronk, Stallworth, Gaffney...became household names with Brady throwing them the ball, and made themselves millions in the process. It took Julien five years to develop - but who's counting - he still deserves his payday. 

Im trying to imagine what it must be like for Edelman to watch Amendola get payed 7 million per while he sits on the sidelines half the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Michael (South Florida)

Browns could use a slot WR to go with their Great new WR(Gordon) and TE(Cameron) and a new GM(Lombardi) that has experience.

If not there, he will end up in Atlanta(new security blanket for Ryan) or he may replace a retired Welker in Denver. Either way, he is gonna see some cash and the pats will once again be in a jam having to decide wether or not to pay not one but TWO slot guys good money same as they did with Gronk and Hern with mixed results. Should be interested. I hope he gets paid. He balled out this year .... on peanuts while that lil Beyouth priced his way out of town! They should have cut Wes long ago and promoted Eds!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Well, as much as it might hurt JE, I wonder if the Pats would Franchise tag him and then let him walk in 2015.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Oh yea and does this mean we owe Joshy an apology for slamming him when he tried to start Edleman over Wes last year?? Obviously he knew something but Jules just didnt stay healthy that year. Edleman is the new "PAY DA MAN!!!" which means he is playing his last days in foxboro!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I would not blame him for cashing out. The bonus money is what he should grab. The trouble with Julian is his concussions. He could have a short career so grab a bonus signing and get some of the money guaranteed to protect himself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

[/QUOTE]

This is the second I saw Tedy expressing the opinion that Edelman will not be a Pat come next year. I hope he is wrong, but he is someone who knows NFL snd how the front office of the Pats works.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Browns could use a slot WR to go with their Great new WR(Gordon) and TE(Cameron) and a new GM(Lombardi) that has experience.

If not there, he will end up in Atlanta(new security blanket for Ryan) or he may replace a retired Welker in Denver. Either way, he is gonna see some cash and the pats will once again be in a jam having to decide wether or not to pay not one but TWO slot guys good money same as they did with Gronk and Hern with mixed results. Should be interested. I hope he gets paid. He balled out this year .... on peanuts while that lil Beyouth priced his way out of town! They should have cut Wes long ago and promoted Eds!

[/QUOTE]

They had Edelman playing over Welker to start the year last season before Edelman got hurt... so I think Bill agrees with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Good for Julien, he like so many others before him...Branch, Welker, Givens, Patten, Troy Brown, Hern, Gronk, Stallworth, Gaffney...became household names with Brady throwing them the ball, and made themselves millions in the process.

You forgot, BB. Weiss, Crennel, O'Brien, Mangini, McDaniels and others of that coaching ilk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If the Pats organization low-balled Edelman and lost him to another team, Brady should revolt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Oh yea and does this mean we owe Joshy an apology for slamming him when he tried to start Edleman over Wes last year?? Obviously he knew something but Jules just didnt stay healthy that year. Edleman is the new "PAY DA MAN!!!" which means he is playing his last days in foxboro!

was that McD's decesion or BB's. I'm thinking the latter because Wes was in the last year of a contract.

true, BB laying the weeds as usual.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Sometimes the "next man up" philosophy when is comes to signing players is killing this team.  Having "adequate" players on the squad seems so prevalent with BB with a few high profile ones.  It may work to get to the playoffs, but, playmakers in the clutch are missing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Well, as much as it might hurt JE, I wonder if the Pats would Franchise tag him and then let him walk in 2015.

What would the franchise tag cost for a wr?  10 million?  They'd be better off negotiating a multi year deal.   He deserves to get paid.  I think someone will over-pay

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Edelman is Welker lite and deserves a raise; I never fault a guy for wanting more money from a career that essentially ends when he\s 35 (probably the age I started making good money).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What I don't get about the signing these sorts of guys is.....

Why the one year contracts? All signings of guys not getting offers on the market should be for 4 years, just in case you do get a good guy. Give them the same bonus as the one year, and just add 3 years.

Just more of the same bungling by the GM that brought us Mankin's, AH's and Gronk's contracts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

What would the franchise tag cost for a wr?  10 million?  They'd be better off negotiating a multi year deal.   He deserves to get paid.  I think someone will over-pay

I believe that under a non-exclusive FT the Pats would hold all the cards and could pay him much less than the going rate for WRs.   Maybe 5M

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I believe that under a non-exclusive FT the Pats would hold all the cards and could pay him much less than the going rate for WRs.   Maybe 5M

Oh.  That would be where they make a qualifying offer and get a draft pick if another team matches?  That would be worth a shot if they can't sign him first.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Oh.  That would be where they make a qualifying offer and get a draft pick if another team matches?  That would be worth a shot if they can't sign him first.

Sigh.  Sorry.  I trusted Wiki as a source.   My bad.  Wiki says they could pay "average of top 5 salaries at his position, or 120% of his prior salary, whichever is less".

The "whichever is less" should read "whichever is greater".  The correct wording is in the 2011 CBA

Big difference.

Julian holds the cards, not the Pats.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Edelman was a free agent last year and there was no market for him (the injury issues over the past 3 years) certainly hurt  . . . the Pats have Amendola under contract, TJ Moe comes back off of the IR list and Boyce can play the slot . . . so I do not see them putting any franchise tag on Edelman - it would cost them 10 million for one year.  They'll offer him something like a 3 year contract with 5 million guanteed and 5 million a year for the 3 years (he is 27) . . . it will be up to him if he takes it or leaves it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Sigh.  Sorry.  I trusted Wiki as a source.   My bad.  Wiki says they could pay "average of top 5 salaries at his position, or 120% of his prior salary, whichever is less".

The "whichever is less" should read "whichever is greater".  The correct wording is in the 2011 CBA

Big difference.

Yes, this coming off season, Jules holds the cards. Kind,of a role reversal between this upcoming and last off season. 

PI think he walks, amd as someone said, wouldn't be surprised to see him in Cleveland. 

Bb may have a solution or two however already on the roster. Boyce and TJ Moe.  Moe I thought is actually closer in skill set to Welker than Edelman. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Big difference.

Now I'm laughing.  (With you).   I'm going to have to take a capology class.  You could tell me anything on this subject, and I was buying it.

So it would be 10 million I guess.  

Sections
Shortcuts