Sooo...about Chung

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Sooo...about Chung

Let me hear the criticism from you non-believers, Chung is still terrible, right? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Re: Sooo...about Chung

The D plays better with him and spike on the field...It has more SWAG!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'm waiting for the guys who call Pat a punk for the solid hit on Cecil Shorts. Chung took out the Jaguars Wes Welker (The guy the QB throws to most of the time) with that one hit. 

Why am I not surprised that no Jaguar tried to make a play in front of Chung in the endzone after that? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm waiting for the guys who call Pat a punk for the solid hit on Cecil Shorts. Chung took out the Jaguars Wes Welker (The guy the QB throws to most of the time) with that one hit. 

Why am I not surprised that no Jaguar tried to make a play in front of Chung in the endzone after that? 

[/QUOTE]

But it also afected how he played after that, I saw the same thing in the Niners and Hawks game when Kam Chancellor Knocked out Davis I believe with a legal hit at that, the next time a receiver came through the middle he tried to arm tackle him and missed instead of going hitting him hard like he did to Davis.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I will gladly criticize Chung. The personal foul penalty was pointless and could have been costly. He also continues to take bad angles constantly. He turns 10 yard passing plays into 30 yard passing plays repeatedly. He was only playing because McCourty had to play cornerback. If Chung was so great why does Belichek constantly bench him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Ball washing after 1 game vs the jagoffs.  A bit Premautre to be fitting him for a yellow jacket.  But feel free.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I was once a huge fan of chung. He was the key player when they destroyed the dolphins in Miami during the 2010 season but since royally screwing up that fake punt against the Jets (probably the most damaging play of the game) he has been a liability on the field overall. He's constantly getting benched. One okay game against the Jaguars does not impress me. I would be shocked if he is on the team next year unless this years playoffs turns into his coming out party. Merriweather could clobber people also and get 15 yard penalties, and he actually made a pro bowl once.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was once a huge fan of chung. He was the key player when they destroyed the dolphins in Miami during the 2010 season but since royally screwing up that fake punt against the Jets (probably the most damaging play of the game) he has been a liability on the field overall. He's constantly getting benched. One okay game against the Jaguars does not impress me. I would be shocked if he is on the team next year unless this years playoffs turns into his coming out party. Merriweather could clobber people also and get 15 yard penalties, and he actually made a pro bowl once.

[/QUOTE]

totally agree with your conclusions. he shoudl be gone and we should have byrd or goldson.

otheriwise we may have to draft one in rd 1-2.  a strong safety who can hit and cover, but who isnt looking to make a name by getting penalties.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

ricky your sarcasm is amazing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I love a good Chung thread...everybody wang chung tonight!

I wouldn't go so far as to call Chung terrible, I mean there has to be at least fifty high school safeties that he is better than. And next year when he is playing backup for the Jaguars he will be missed by the same people that told me that Merriweather was the second best safety in the AFC.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Yes Chung is still terrible. The Herald staff writer (I know I know) listed Chung in the three "Down" category after the game stating " There are lies, damnable lies and statistics. Sunday‚Äôs stats lied."

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The question isn't whether Chung is a great safety or not, it's whether he's a better safety than Gregory.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The question isn't whether Chung is a great safety or not, it's whether he's a better safety than Gregory.  

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. He's limited, he'll never be a great cover guy, that's pretty clear. He shouldn't be put in position where he's asked to cover the faster guys or big spaces.  He's a willing hitter, and he's good in small spaces like the red zone and in run support (if he doesn't overrun the play). McCourty can handle the big spaces. They're complementary in that regard. Could they use a better guy, sure, but he aint walking through that door anytime soon. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. He's limited, he'll never be a great cover guy, that's pretty clear. He shouldn't be put in position where he's asked to cover the faster guys or big spaces.  He's a willing hitter, and he's good in small spaces like the red zone and in run support (if he doesn't overrun the play). McCourty can handle the big spaces. They're complementary in that regard. Could they use a better guy, sure, but he aint walking through that door anytime soon. 

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly right.  He's got a role to fill and it's nice to see him back on the field, but he's not an all-round safety and therefore I don't see him as the long-term answer opposite McCourty. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

after being slected as the 34th pick in the 2009 draft, there was a lot of expectations placed on chung to step in and play. early on, he seemed like a promising young player who could hit like a truck from the safety position. the expectation was that his pass coverage and on field awareness would improve as he matured. four years in, it simply hasn't happened. in fact, he's seemingly gotten progresively worse. it's been an accumulation of injuries (11 games missed in the past two seasons), bad angles, blown coverages, and flat out not being able to make plays, particularly in the pass game. one would think this year will be it.  still adequate situationally perhaps, but at this point not a guy who can be counted on. at this juncture steve gregory is a better safety. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let me hear the criticism from you non-believers, Chung is still terrible, right? 

[/QUOTE]

Yes he still does - there was in article in the Globe or Herald about how stats sometimes lie. Chung will be on another team in 2 years --he is HORRIBLE in coverage--too bad because he plays good against the run--unfortunatly he's a SAFETY!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Chung IMO made 2 bone head plays including the helmet to helmet and running non stop with the last int risking fumble. Why not simply take a knee? Dumb play, dumb player. 

First half took bad angle on Shipleys long catch and run. The Jags long completion in the first half was Chung biting as usual on play action and being out of position. Chung always takes the incorrect first step, playing run first, and does not have the speed to make up his mis step. 

Wilson as a number 2 should be playing more snaps, not a good sign. This team still needs a starting S to play along side McCourtey next year, with Gregory and Wilson battling for the 3rd spot. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Wilson is a rookie.  See how the second year leap goes.  Gregory is not the answer.  Chung is a good fill in but not a starter.  McCourdy is good and seems to fit the role.  With Dennard, Talib and McCourdy out on the field, the defense is solid.  For this season, Chung and Gregory are the 4th part of the puzzle.  Who ever has the hot hand should play.  Next year I think Wilson will be starting.  EBert should improve as well and take some of Chungs snaps next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chung IMO made 2 bone head plays including the helmet to helmet and running non stop with the last int risking fumble. Why not simply take a knee? Dumb play, dumb player. 

First half took bad angle on Shipleys long catch and run. The Jags long completion in the first half was Chung biting as usual on play action and being out of position. Chung always takes the incorrect first step, playing run first, and does not have the speed to make up his mis step. 

Wilson as a number 2 should be playing more snaps, not a good sign. This team still needs a starting S to play along side McCourtey next year, with Gregory and Wilson battling for the 3rd spot. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Shipley is a pretty good ball player.  I wih we had kicked his tires when he was a FA.  Chung has hays been a concern in pass overage since he started out.   is wouldn't re-sign him for a lot.   I'd like to know what happened in safetyville in NE.   BB just gutted it and its still a work in progress    I wonder why we cut who we did It left us thin. 

Sections
Shortcuts