Sorry Mr. Kraft I just can't do it.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: Sorry Mr. Kraft I just can't do it.

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

so let me get this straight, you blame the defense for playing at or around the same level as they do during the regular season when they are winning, but when the offense struggles in the playoffs, you say we have to live with it, the defense just has to be the 2000 ravens or 85 bears?  cmon, the team financially is heavily swayed towards the offense and everyone knows it. to blame the defense for a loss when the offense scored one td the whole game is just flat out ridiculous. we shouldnt just expect the offense to crap the bed every game and have the defense bail them out. the offense is plenty capable of playing well in the playoffs. they just havent in the biggest games and it cost them two super bowls and now this afc title game. it almost cost them last years afc title game as well..

When I say the defense needs to get better, I am agreeing with you in terms of the overall team-building approach; invest more in D, even if the O suffers for it.

The offense does NOT crap the bed every game.  But, it is reasonable to assume they will score less than 20 points at least once in the playoffs.  They did in 2001, they did in 2003, they did in 2004, and they have in 4 of the 7 playoff years since.  As somebody else pointed out in this thread, EVERY Super Bowl winner since 2005 has had at least one game in the postseason that they won while scoring 20 or fewer.  You need to be able to win those games in order to win it all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to WeDerrWEBACK's comment:

ravens defense making plays = 3 turnovers

pasts defense not making plays = 0 turnovers

ravens had scored 7 points at halftime and were having a hard time scoring on the pats. its no coincidence that once the pats offense stalled and kept giving the ravens good starting position, the pats defense started allowing points. the talib injury obviously didnt help either. flacco played very well and brady didnt. see here is another time where the yards statistic proves to mean absolutely NOTHING! brady passes for 320, combined offense goes for 400+ yards, and they score only 13 points!....flacco throws for 240, yet he leads his team to 4 td drives and 28 points!

Well, you just confirmed what he said.  The RAVENs D did a he11 of a job and the Pats didn't.  ZERO RZ stops, REALLY? 

Who wins a game with ZERO RZ STOPS and ZERO TURN OVERS?

Teams that can score more than 30 is the only answer.  Talk about tipping the scale!

THIS TEAM DOES NOT WIN UNLESS THEY SCORE 30!!!!!!  Ridiculous...

That's a big f'n problem.  Ya think???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

they are losing games that they would win in the regular season with their offense producing at even an average rate.

HALLELUJAH!  THIS is what I am saying!  The playoffs are against BETTER teams than the regular season; THEREFORE, your offense will NOT produce at its regular season average!  You win by compensating in some other way!  Special teams, turnovers, better ball control... some other part of your team has to step up when the guys who usually do those funky dances in the end zone aren't performing at their usual clip.

even peyton put up 21 on the ravens this year and he is a perennial playoff choker. the ravens defense is not nearly as good as brady made them look in the red zone. the pats were moving between the 20's with ease for a good portion of the game, but once they got there, they repeatedly pu.ked on themselves. that was a factor of poor execution by the offense, poor playcalling, and poor clock management. also with you saying that there are better defenses in the playoffs, you are correct. but there are also better offenses, so why is it that the pats defense has been able to keep playing about its average in the playoffs, and the offense hasnt been able to produce at even half the rate that they do during the regular season? so i guess only good defenses are allowed in the playoffs, not good offenses? this would explain why the ravens were just in a 38-35 game, oh wait, no it wouldnt! or how about kaepernick putting up 45 on the packers or matt ryan putting up 24 on the niners?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

ravens had scored 7 points at halftime and were having a hard time scoring on the pats. its no coincidence that once the pats offense stalled and kept giving the ravens good starting position, the pats defense started allowing points. the talib injury obviously didnt help either. flacco played very well and brady didnt. see here is another time where the yards statistic proves to mean absolutely NOTHING! brady passes for 320, combined offense goes for 400+ yards, and they score only 13 points!....flacco throws for 240, yet he leads his team to 4 td drives and 28 points!

Well, you just confirmed what he said.  The RAVENs D did a he11 of a job and the Pats didn't.  ZERO RZ stops, REALLY? 

Teams that can score more than 30 is the only answer.  Talk about tipping the scale!

they wouldnt have needed to score 30 if they had just held on to the damn ball

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

so let me get this straight, you blame the defense for playing at or around the same level as they do during the regular season when they are winning, but when the offense struggles in the playoffs, you say we have to live with it, the defense just has to be the 2000 ravens or 85 bears?  cmon, the team financially is heavily swayed towards the offense and everyone knows it. to blame the defense for a loss when the offense scored one td the whole game is just flat out ridiculous. we shouldnt just expect the offense to crap the bed every game and have the defense bail them out. the offense is plenty capable of playing well in the playoffs. they just havent in the biggest games and it cost them two super bowls and now this afc title game. it almost cost them last years afc title game as well..

When I say the defense needs to get better, I am agreeing with you in terms of the overall team-building approach; invest more in D, even if the O suffers for it.

The offense does NOT crap the bed every game.  But, it is reasonable to assume they will score less than 20 points at least once in the playoffs.  They did in 2001, they did in 2003, they did in 2004, and they have in 4 of the 7 playoff years since.  As somebody else pointed out in this thread, EVERY Super Bowl winner since 2005 has had at least one game in the postseason that they won while scoring 20 or fewer.  You need to be able to win those games in order to win it all.

yes, but it makes it even tougher on your defense when you arent scoring AND you are turning the ball over..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

the ravens had scored 7 points at halftime and were having a hard time scoring on the pats. its no coincidence that once the pats offense stalled and kept giving the ravens good starting position, the pats defense started allowing points. the talib injury obviously didnt help either. flacco played very well and brady didnt. see here is another time where the yards statistic proves to mean absolutely NOTHING! brady passes for 320, combined offense goes for 400+ yards, and they score only 13 points!....flacco throws for 240, yet he leads his team to 4 td drives and 28 points!

you make a good point but you have to look at the Ravens D.  They made plays.  When it came to the Red Zone they MADE PLAYS.  or you can look at it as TB isht the bed but I have to say that LEWIS and REED wanted it more.  They would not be denied, even in your house.  Just my POV. 

So because Reed & Lewis "wanted it more" it made Welker drop the ball? It forced the Pat's to bungle the end of the 1st half? It made the coaches call a defense for the pat's that put Spikes in on one coverage against Rice at the Pat's 5? Lewis and reed did that?

It was a lack of execution in critical points of the game on the part of NE and excellent execution by the Ravens when needed.

i agree it was more a factor of poor execution by the pats at times, than good execution by the ravens. but i do agree that it seemed like the ravens wanted this game alot more than the patriots....the ravens deserved to win, the pats deserve to be sitting at home watching the super bowl, its as simple as that. maybe if brady used some of that energy he used in kicking reed, into actually completing more passes in the red zone, they might have had a chance. yet again, they throw 50+ times and cant get over 20 points. PA-THE-TIC.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the ravens had scored 7 points at halftime and were having a hard time scoring on the pats. its no coincidence that once the pats offense stalled and kept giving the ravens good starting position, the pats defense started allowing points. the talib injury obviously didnt help either. flacco played very well and brady didnt. see here is another time where the yards statistic proves to mean absolutely NOTHING! brady passes for 320, combined offense goes for 400+ yards, and they score only 13 points!....flacco throws for 240, yet he leads his team to 4 td drives and 28 points!

you make a good point but you have to look at the Ravens D.  They made plays.  When it came to the Red Zone they MADE PLAYS.  or you can look at it as TB isht the bed but I have to say that LEWIS and REED wanted it more.  They would not be denied, even in your house.  Just my POV. 

So because Reed & Lewis "wanted it more" it made Welker drop the ball? It forced the Pat's to bungle the end of the 1st half? It made the coaches call a defense for the pat's that put Spikes in on one coverage against Rice at the Pat's 5? Lewis and reed did that?

It was a lack of execution in critical points of the game on the part of NE and excellent execution by the Ravens when needed.

i agree it was more a factor of poor execution by the pats at times, than good execution by the ravens. but i do agree that it seemed like the ravens wanted this game alot more than the patriots....the ravens deserved to win, the pats deserve to be sitting at home watching the super bowl, its as simple as that. maybe if brady used some of that energy he used in kicking reed, into actually completing more passes in the red zone, they might have had a chance. yet again, they throw 50+ times and cant get over 20 points. PA-THE-TIC.

I agree 100% the Ravens deserved to win and the Pat's deserved to lose. when you can't make basic plays and catch easy passes you do not deserve to win. My point was that just because Lewis & reed are percieved to have wanted it more doesn't mean that is why certain things occurred.

definitely. its not like reed and lewis were making game changing plays all night, but they werent getting burned either. they played well enough to win, and the pats didnt. another topic id like to hit on is the special teams...i cant wait to see demps returning kicks, its painful watching DMC try to return kicks, he just doesnt have it. very good safety, terrible return man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

even peyton put up 21 on the ravens this year and he is a perennial playoff choker. the ravens defense is not nearly as good as brady made them look in the red zone. the pats were moving between the 20's with ease for a good portion of the game, but once they got there, they repeatedly pu.ked on themselves. that was a factor of poor execution by the offense, poor playcalling, and poor clock management. also with you saying that there are better defenses in the playoffs, you are correct. but there are also better offenses, so why is it that the pats defense has been able to keep playing about its average in the playoffs, and the offense hasnt been able to produce at even half the rate that they do during the regular season? so i guess only good defenses are allowed in the playoffs, not good offenses? this would explain why the ravens were just in a 38-35 game, oh wait, no it wouldnt! or how about kaepernick putting up 45 on the packers or matt ryan putting up 24 on the niners?

The offense played poorly in the Ravens game, but the defense also played pretty poorly.  Do you realize this game was the first game all season that the defense did not force a single turnover?  They only had 2 sacks on 39 dropbacks, and only 1 other TFL.  They gave up 4 20+-yard receptions.  If we want to measure by degrees, the offense may have played worse than the defense did, but both sides of the ball were pretty bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

They wouldn't have had to score 30 if the D made just ONE rz stop.

How many teams do you know that bat 1000 in the RZ? 

Has the best O in the league done it during the rs?

How many teams commit and force turn overs?  ALL OF THEM!  (except the pats D when they need it most)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Two words my friends:

Gronk injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

They wouldn't have had to score 30 if the D made just ONE rz stop.

How many teams do you know that bat 1000 in the RZ? 

Has the best O in the league done it during the rs?

How many teams commit and force turn overs?  ALL OF THEM!  (except the pats D when they need it most)

you're right that the pats D just forgot to show up in the red zone.....the pats offense was just as bad though....1 for 6 from inside the 25 is flat out horrible. and as for the turnovers, obviously the defense didnt force any, but they made more than enough stops to keep them in the game and the offense continued to sputter as soon as they got on the other side of the field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

The D may hsve given the O a chance to score more points in the first hslf, But they made Flacco look pretty darn good the 2nd half.

My point  in this thread is that we have basically the same issue every year for the past several years. We need a big strong down the field WR, a shut down corner, and a pass rush. These are the same things that are always brought up.

Agree or not the Offense carries the load during the regular season. Without this Offense there would be no playoff game to lose. BB is supposed to be a "Defensive Mastermind" but we get to the dance with the Offense. So where is this tough year in and out D?

Or tell Mr. Kraft I can have a really good team, the best QB of all time, but not sure how take the next step.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

Now we are a few days out from Sundays game. I've read hundreds of posts for and against, Brady, Welker, BB, Offense, Defense etc.. So after I've digested this I can only come with are we in it to win it, or just be real good?

So if everyone can agree BB is in charge I feel he should say to Mr. Kraft the following:

"Boss I run the team as coach, D coord, GM, I picked every coach, player, & ball boy. I have maybe the best QB of all time, but  just can't seem to win the big one without that D I inherited 10+ years ago.  With that said is being a really good team good enough?"

your post would be valid if the offense could actually score in the big postseason games....in their last 5 playoff losses the pats offense has scored 13, 17, 21, 14, and 14 respectively....now you're trying to tell me the defense has been the problem? the numbers dont lie.

Here's what's sad about those numbers:  The 21 was vs the Jets, correct? That TD came late in the game when it was over.  In SB 42, they scored late, and it was for barely eeking the 14 points!

14!

So, they either barely score late when they wasted so much time elswhere in the game or they go dry for entire halves like on Sunday or in SB 46.

As I've been saying for almost 2 years here, the real problem is actually the offense, not the defense.

gee i am shocked u let this go by in the OP:

I have maybe the best QB of all time, but just can't seem to win the big one without that D I inherited 10+ years ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PATSthebest's comment:

Now we are a few days out from Sundays game. I've read hundreds of posts for and against, Brady, Welker, BB, Offense, Defense etc.. So after I've digested this I can only come with are we in it to win it, or just be real good?

So if everyone can agree BB is in charge I feel he should say to Mr. Kraft the following:

"Boss I run the team as coach, D coord, GM, I picked every coach, player, & ball boy. I have maybe the best QB of all time, but  just can't seem to win the big one without that D I inherited 10+ years ago.  With that said is being a really good team good enough?"

your post would be valid if the offense could actually score in the big postseason games....in their last 5 playoff losses the pats offense has scored 13, 17, 21, 14, and 14 respectively....now you're trying to tell me the defense has been the problem? the numbers dont lie.

And if the defense allowed 12, 16, 20, 13 and 13 we would have won all of those. That's around a 15 ppg average. Both the 2003 and 2004 defenses averaged about that for a season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

people make alot of the defense allowing 28 points, and then point back to the old days when the pats had bruschi and mcginest, etc... have you guys just up and forgotten super bowl 38? you know, the one where the pats won 32-29!!, or how about the pittsburgh afc title game which was won 41-27? teams are going to score points in the playoffs, they are there for a reason. when your offense is as high powered as the pats has been for awhile now, you are expected to score more than 13 points in an afc championship game. he.ll, any offense should be expected to do more than that.

Yeah, and in 2004 the Colts scored 3 on them. That playoff year they allowed 17 points on average. In 2003 19 points average in the playoffs.

What is so difficult for you to grasp about our offense not actually being high powered? We beat up on bad teams and can't run or get open receivers against the tough ones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The defense vs offense debate is abit tired since they both lost.  Coaches lost too.  And the trainers who didn't get talib ready.  and then there's pollard.

Sour taste will always be there because this team was better than last year.  The pieces were in place... And both sides of the ball were lacking.

Points scored ...? not enough.   Points allowed... ? too many.  FAIL--2012 .  should have been better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Show me a team that consistently wins playoff games. This is a league of parity. The majority of teams are pretty equal in talent. So, what it comes down to is, the hot, healthy and mentally tough team goes on to the Super Bowl.

Look at the Ravens. They finished the season losing 4 of their last 5 games and most people were writing them off. What happened? They got healthy and started playing good football at the right time. Stats are for losers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

people make alot of the defense allowing 28 points, and then point back to the old days when the pats had bruschi and mcginest, etc... have you guys just up and forgotten super bowl 38? you know, the one where the pats won 32-29!!, or how about the pittsburgh afc title game which was won 41-27? teams are going to score points in the playoffs, they are there for a reason. when your offense is as high powered as the pats has been for awhile now, you are expected to score more than 13 points in an afc championship game. he.ll, any offense should be expected to do more than that.

Yeah, and in 2004 the Colts scored 3 on them. That playoff year they allowed 17 points on average. In 2003 19 points average in the playoffs.

What is so difficult for you to grasp about our offense not actually being high powered? We beat up on bad teams and can't run or get open receivers against the tough ones.

well your 2nd paragraph is 100% true even though it is very sad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Show me a team that consistently wins playoff games. This is a league of parity. The majority of teams are pretty equal in talent. So, what it comes down to is, the hot, healthy and mentally tough team goes on to the Super Bowl.

Look at the Ravens. They finished the season losing 4 of their last 5 games and most people were writing them off. What happened? They got healthy and started playing good football at the right time. Stats are for losers.

Ravens are jints of 2011... Catching the wave.  The regular same old approach will not beat them (as pats found out)... It will take a san Francisco treat of creative game planning to beat them...

Start with lots of gore then hit moss up the sideline , a few bootlegs by kappy and balty will be scrambled eggs...