Sorry to pats fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Sorry to pats fans

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

That's actually not the discussion you and I are having. 

You say, "Unless you have proof that the team knew AH was in fact a thug when they drafted him."

I provided info that shows that many teams were put off by his gang connections.

You ask what that has to do with the "Patriot Way".

People with gang connections aren't good people.  Ever.  The Pats looked past this and drafted the player anyway.

And now they have their logo attached to an alleged murderer.

Do you  have any idea how many guys in the NFL smoked weed in college and came from rough backgrounds?  I guarantee you every team that allegedly took Hernandez off their draft board probably kept some other guy on that the Patriots or some other team had "concerns" about.  It was not obvious that Hernandez was going to get popped for murder.  It is never obvious who is going to murder someone.  MMQB'ing at it's finest.  There are thousands of people in inner cities that have "gang affiliations" and the vast majority of them never kill anyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

You're making a lot more out of it than was EVER the case.

Simply put: Kraft said don't bring thugs to the team. BB wanted a "team" philosophy. That's it. That's the "Patriots Way". Nothing more.

Unless you have proof that the team knew AH was in fact a thug when they drafted him, or subsequent to his arrest then you are FOS, as usual, with your accusations. They certainly booted him quickly once he was arrested.

The "Patriot Way" is alive and well.

Personnel sources from multiple NFL teams tell SI that they had off-field concerns about Hernandez. In particular, the questions pertained to alleged gang activity of some of Hernandez's associates in his native Bristol, Conn. A law enforcement official familiar with Hernandez reiterated concerns about his circle of influence.

Combined, the marijuana use and gang concerns worried some NFL teams immensely.

"There were a lot of teams that had him off the board," said an NFL personnel executive.

Click here for the article.

His having associated with persons that were apt to be thugs doesn't make him a thug.

We all know of BB's connection to Florida. It is easy enough to believe he was assured by trusted persons there that AH was distancing himself from those connections.

In any case this is not proof that the the "no thugs" aspect of  the "Patriot Way" was abandoned by Kraft or BB. Rather, the teams decisive action at loss in addressing the situation once confirmation of his involvement was displayed shows the standards they ascribed to are in fact still in place.

"the marijuana use and gang concerns worried some NFL teams immensely."

That's interesting. What does it have to do with the "Patriot Way"?

That's actually not the discussion you and I are having. 

You say, "Unless you have proof that the team knew AH was in fact a thug when they drafted him."

I provided info that shows that many teams were put off by his gang connections.

You ask what that has to do with the "Patriot Way".

People with gang connections aren't good people.  Ever.  The Pats looked past this and drafted the player anyway.

And now they have their logo attached to an alleged murderer.

As you twist in the wind here from me hanging you out to dry I understand the tendency to try and save face by attempting to stretch implication into fact. But your attempts are futile.

Being acquainted with thugs does not make one a thug, no matter how hard you try and spin it into being so.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

I think Belichick is as smart as they come.  I think he understood the chance he was taking with Hernandez and as Rusty suggested, he may have seen Hernandez as "house money".  That is probably the case with all of the questionable characters that he's acquired. 

And I don't think anybody could have or would have foreseen such a situation.  Regardless, the situation has happened and it has happened with one of the guys who had known issues; One of the guys who actually used the term "patriot way" in describing to the public the changing of "his ways" - which was a lie. 

So, the sum of all the information we have is that the Patriots have yet to take a person into their organization that is a "thug" at the time of admission.

Do you dispute that?

Last one for you babe - You are on a constant fishing expedition with an agenda.  I've provided my thoughts on the matter.  I cannot help you if they are not clear enough for you to understand my position, and I am not interested in your baiting ways if that's what this is. 

Just spare us your phoney act about occupying the high ground troll.

I corner you and your BS and you stick your tail between your legs as usual. Creepy little Colts troll exposed again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

As you twist in the wind here from me hanging you out to dry I understand the tendency to try and save face by attempting to stretch implication into fact. But your attempts are futile.

Being acquainted with thugs does not make one a thug, no matter how hard you try and spin it into being so.

Wow, did you learn this "I'm beating you up here because I say I'm beating you up here and somehow that matters to someone" routine from Rusty, or did he learn it from you?

Good people don't hang out with gang members.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Wow, did you learn this "I'm beating you up here because I say I'm beating you up here and somehow that matters to someone" routine from Rusty, or did he learn it from you?

No, I learned to say I'm beating you up here because I'm mercilessly pounding you here. But you're making it easy.

If we didn't allow people in the NFL that associated with bad people, probably 90% of the guys in the damned league wouldn't be there.

Are you aware that "One in three black U.S. adult males carries the crippling lifelong mark of a felony record"?

"On any given day, nearly a third (30 percent) of black males ages 20 to 29 is under some form of correctional supervision."

Do you expect the players to avoid their own family members or friends to suit your utopian view?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

I know that I occassionally play devil's advocate, and I may have some "feelings", especially after this incident, about the "patriot way".

But as fans - you didn't deserve this.  The team, frankly, didn't deserve this.  Regardless of Belichick's penchant for seeking "value" in talented players with less than stellar character, he didn't deserve this.  Bob Kraft didn't deserve this. 

I am not looking to gain any different treatment of y'all from these comments.  Treat me no differently.  I just wanted you to know that from an outsider, looking in, this is some bs that you didn't deserve. 

I'll say again.....Rivalry is over, you can go home now! Not buying your little "sincere" post for one second. As soon as the season starts, you will bring this up as ammo whenever your little ponies put up an L

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

NAS, you're a good fan, but your expectations on this are just not realistic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Rodimus77's comment:

I know that I occassionally play devil's advocate, and I may have some "feelings", especially after this incident, about the "patriot way".

But as fans - you didn't deserve this.  The team, frankly, didn't deserve this.  Regardless of Belichick's penchant for seeking "value" in talented players with less than stellar character, he didn't deserve this.  Bob Kraft didn't deserve this. 

I am not looking to gain any different treatment of y'all from these comments.  Treat me no differently.  I just wanted you to know that from an outsider, looking in, this is some bs that you didn't deserve. 

I'll say again.....Rivalry is over, you can go home now! Not buying your little "sincere" post for one second. As soon as the season starts, you will bring this up as ammo whenever your little ponies put up an L

There is nothing sincere about his post. He's just trying to blow smoke as he craps on the "Patriot Way". Sincerity and this troll are like oil and water.

The only disheartening thing is that his amateurish attempts to fool some Pats fans actually work.

Make no mistake, his every post is dripping with his f***** up agenda.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I don't know why anyone would think it's a problem to seek value by drafting a player with character questions when the cost drops enough to take a chance.   Didn't Saint Dungy,himself,  famously ask Warren Sapp if he had reformed himself enough to be the leader of his Buccaneer defense after his draft value dropped coming out of Miami?  it also seemed that Saint Tony had a different standard of behavior for players of little talent. Furthermore when the Eagles had an opportunity to pick up Michael Vick as a free agent, wasn't Dungy lobbying for Vick?

If it's good enough for Dungy; why can't Bill do it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They are realistic.  Everyone has issues, but this guy was a known problem before the draft.   The Pats selected him anyway.  No one could have known he would be so bad of a human, but regardless of that, the Patriots organization had people all across New England and the country cheering for a complete and total scumbagg. 

As the Pats said about Christian Peter, Aaron Hernandez shoud have been deemed "incompatible with our organization's standards of acceptable conduct."

Constantly failing drug tests and hanging out with gang members is apparently compatible with the organization's standards of acceptable conduct. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No, I learned to say I'm beating you up here because I'm mercilessly pounding you here. But you're making it easy.

Yeah, I've never understood that on message boards.  One guy telling another guy that he's "winning" doesn't make sense.  It's why you expect and see that from Rusty all the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They are realistic.  Everyone has issues, but this guy was a known problem before the draft.   The Pats selected him anyway.  No one could have known he would be so bad of a human, but regardless of that, the Patriots organization had people all across New England and the country cheering for a complete and total scumbagg. 

As the Pats said about Christian Peter, Aaron Hernandez shoud have been deemed "incompatible with our organization's standards of acceptable conduct."

Constantly failing drug tests and hanging out with gang members is apparently compatible with the organization's standards of acceptable conduct. 

C'mon, the guy smoked pot. 90% of Americans say it should have no criminal penalties. Would you say the same thing if he drank alcohol?

And as I said, most black athletes bound for the NFL could be said to "hang out with known felons". Should the Pats steer away from all of them as well?

BB has a connection with the Gators and most assuredly received assurances AH was distancing himself from his community ties.

You simply don't have any traction on this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, I've never understood that on message boards.  One guy telling another guy that he's "winning" doesn't make sense.  It's why you expect and see that from Rusty all the time.

When you are making claims without substance such as Rusty does about the shotgun spread one is apt to tell you how you are being owned on the issue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NedBraden's comment:

And NE knew that.  BB took Gronk.  He signed Crumpler in 2010. In other words, Hernandez was house money.

Truth.

They knew all about his questionable past.  Hernandez was clean as a whistle for 3 years in a Pats uni. Obviously, that has changed.

That will not be the last questionable person they bring in to NE. Every NFL team takes a questionable player like that, some higher than Rd 4 out of desperation, as they are really in need for an infusion of talent.

Let's drop the idea that Belichick had to have some magical crystal ball.  Who on earth would have seen this coming?  No one, especially after season after season of Hernandez falling in line.

[/QUOTE]

Too early to say, but what if he was involved in the July 2012 double murder? It seems to me the investigators think Hern may have killed Lloyd because he felt he coudn't trust Lloyd not to talk about the earlier murders.  All speculation of course, but there's a possibility Hern was already a murderer when last season began.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

And NE knew that.  BB took Gronk.  He signed Crumpler in 2010. In other words, Hernandez was house money.

Truth.

They knew all about his questionable past.  Hernandez was clean as a whistle for 3 years in a Pats uni. Obviously, that has changed.

That will not be the last questionable person they bring in to NE. Every NFL team takes a questionable player like that, some higher than Rd 4 out of desperation, as they are really in need for an infusion of talent.

Let's drop the idea that Belichick had to have some magical crystal ball.  Who on earth would have seen this coming?  No one, especially after season after season of Hernandez falling in line.

Too early to say, but what if he was involved in the July 2012 double murder? It seems to me the investigators think Hern may have killed Lloyd because he felt he coudn't trust Lloyd not to talk about the earlier murders.  All speculation of course, but there's a possibility Hern was already a murderer when last season began.  

Yeah.  Lloyd may not have deserved to be killed but I'll bet he was no saint either.  He may have been involved  up to his neck in the 2012 double homicide.  Who knows?  If he was, then I guess he got what he deserved.  I don't care if all these gangbanger wanna' be's all kill eachother as long as no one innocent is hurt/killed in the process.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Truth.

Yeah.  Lloyd may not have deserved to be killed but I'll bet he was no saint either.  He may have been involved  up to his neck in the 2012 double homicide.  Who knows?  If he was, then I guess he got what he deserved.  I don't care if all these gangbanger wanna' be's all kill eachother as long as no one innocent is hurt/killed in the process.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't implying Lloyd was involved in 2012.  He could have been, but he also could have just known about the crime (maybe through his sister). Maybe he even just found out about Hern's involvement and Hern got worried he might talk.  All of this is complete speculation -- I want to emphasize that -- but it would create a motive for the most recent murder.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Truth.

I wasn't implying Lloyd was involved in 2012.  He could have been, but he also could have just known about the crime (maybe through his sister). Maybe he even just found out about Hern's involvement and Hern got worried he might talk.  All of this is complete speculation -- I want to emphasize that -- but it would create a motive for the most recent murder.

[/QUOTE]

I understand but I still have the feeling that Lloyd wasn't an innocent before he was killed. 

My point being is that you are who you associate yourself with.  

These people, including AH ofcourse are just low life a-holes who embrace the gangsta/thug  lifestyle.

ESPN Boston had a picture of a cell like the one AH is in awaiting trial and I was thinking that he gave up that big house and all that money for that little cell.  It's incomprehensible. I still can't wrap my head around it.  It's astonishing.  Some psychiatrist's are probably having a field day with this.

• This post has been removed.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I don't know why anyone would think it's a problem to seek value by drafting a player with character questions when the cost drops enough to take a chance.   Didn't Saint Dungy,himself,  famously ask Warren Sapp if he had reformed himself enough to be the leader of his Buccaneer defense after his draft value dropped coming out of Miami?  it also seemed that Saint Tony had a different standard of behavior for players of little talent. Furthermore when the Eagles had an opportunity to pick up Michael Vick as a free agent, wasn't Dungy lobbying for Vick?

If it's good enough for Dungy; why can't Bill do it?

bostate - you have a point.  Initially i disagreed but I reread, and although I don't know the circumstances surrounding Sapp, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.  Dungy would absolutely do something like that and has always promoted a public persona of decency. 

Here's the thing. Belichick never pushes the morality play.  In fact, he appears to publicly attempt to play the opposite role - that of anti-establishment antagonist.  Yet, when he brings players into the fold - if they were wayward - they "sat up and flew straight".  And this was the patriot way of "rehabbing" the bad player images. Leave the dirty work to belichick.  players shut up and toe the line. 

Others started pushing that it was more than that.  fans, media, the players themselves, Kraft.  Great promotional stuff.  I'd bet shirts were even made up at some point.  I don't begrudge the idea, but as evidenced by Hernandez, its hard if not impossible to "change" everyone. 

Dungy - worked to rehab players and would promote those he thought he got through to (vick) while knowing full well that the player could easily go off the rails. 

The pats seemed to think their system was above that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I haven't been around in a while, but I assume this is part of UD's bimonthly meaningless apology series. Still not sure why people accept them. Just read back a few months. Same old same old.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

It's good to see you here EnochRoot.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  not to take our old friend underdogg(gggg) too heavily to task, but to quote the estimable Will Muny, "Deserve's got nuthin' to do with it."

Fans don't "deserve" anything. The team is there for you to root for, or not, at your pleasure, and if it turns out that some of the guys who wear your favorite laundry are not necessarily guys you would want dating your sister (or even living on the same planet with her), you either make your peace with that or you don't.

A great many of the discussion we have on this forum often wend their way around to the idea that many (most) athletes who reach the elite level of their particular sport get coddled -- some might even say inuslated -- along the way and that the rules and laws and ethics that govern the day-to-day lives of people like me and underdogg(gggg) do not generally apply to the "chosen few." Right, wrong or indifferent, that is the way of the world as concerns professional athletics generally.

Now, I grant you, premeditate murder is a far cry from . . .   oh, let's say, making unwanted advances to young women in night club bathrooms (or even expensive hotels). We look at a murderer (or a "gangsta," if that's your pleasure) differently than we would, for instance, a guy who throws his marriage and his family away so he can indiscriminately bop the dregs of the porn industry or some nebulous truck-stop slag. Now, as I write this, there are people who openly cheer for the Ben Roethlisbergers and the Kobe Bryants and the Tiger Woodses of the world . . .   even though none of those guys (and an entire passel of others) "deserve" anything but your scorn at best, and, hopefully callous disinterest.

Odds are nobody is going to be cheering for Aaron Hernandez where he is likely to be going, and that is as it should be, but Aaron Hernandez didn't do anything to the fans. He did some pretty bad stuff to some pretty bad people and their families, but in order for the fans to believe that they had somehow been duped or cheated you would have to believe that the Pats' brain trust looked at Hernandez pattern of behavior and surmised that sooner or later he was going to commit murder . . .   and decided to go ahead and spend that fourth-round pick just the same.

Does anyone here believe that?

Look . . .   I know it's disappointing when your heroes turn out to be regular human beings (or perhaps substantially less), but when illusions are shattered it's more often because the idolator put his faith in the wrong place than because the supreme being couldn't live up to the legend.

Or something like that.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Well . . .  not to take our old friend underdogg(gggg) too heavily to task, but to quote the estimable Will Muny, "Deserve's got nuthin' to do with it."

Fans don't "deserve" anything. The team is there for you to root for, or not, at your pleasure, and if it turns out that some of the guys who wear your favorite laundry are not necessarily guys you would want dating your sister (or even living on the same planet with her), you either make your peace with that or you don't.

A great many of the discussion we have on this forum often wend their way around to the idea that many (most) athletes who reach the elite level of their particular sport get coddled -- some might even say inuslated -- along the way and that the rules and laws and ethics that govern the day-to-day lives of people like me and underdogg(gggg) do not generally apply to the "chosen few." Right, wrong or indifferent, that is the way of the world as concerns professional athletics generally.

Now, I grant you, premeditate murder is a far cry from . . .   oh, let's say, making unwanted advances to young women in night club bathrooms (or even expensive hotels). We look at a murderer (or a "gangsta," if that's your pleasure) differently than we would, for instance, a guy who throws his marriage and his family away so he can indiscriminately bop the dregs of the porn industry or some nebulous truck-stop slag. Now, as I write this, there are people who openly cheer for the Ben Roethlisbergers and the Kobe Bryants and the Tiger Woodses of the world . . .   even though none of those guys (and an entire passel of others) "deserve" anything but your scorn at best, and, hopefully callous disinterest.

Odds are nobody is going to be cheering for Aaron Hernandez where he is likely to be going, and that is as it should be, but Aaron Hernandez didn't do anything to the fans. He did some pretty bad stuff to some pretty bad people and their families, but in order for the fans to believe that they had somehow been duped or cheated you would have to believe that the Pats' brain trust looked at Hernandez pattern of behavior and surmised that sooner or later he was going to commit murder . . .   and decided to go ahead and spend that fourth-round pick just the same.

Does anyone here believe that?

Look . . .   I know it's disappointing when your heroes turn out to be regular human beings (or perhaps substantially less), but when illusions are shattered it's more often because the idolator put his faith in the wrong place than because the supreme being couldn't live up to the legend.

Or something like that.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

Well, you said that alot better than I could of.

Right on!

• Sections
    Shortcuts