Re: Sounds Like Colts Coaches intend to Win Sunday...........link

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Should be an interesting game. If HOU gets the 1 seed, there's a chance that these two teams can play in the divisional round.

Will either team be able to show their hand? Playing 3 times in 5 weeks should bridge the gap. I think HOU is a way more talented team, but them playing this much against each other so soon should benefit Indy more.

Hopefully both teams will play without holding anything back, but who knows

pagano didnt beat cancer to show up to work on his first game to not beat their rival (imo)

i kind of think beating cancer has little to do with beating the texans to benefit the pats  :  )

do you really understand what i said or are you just bitter?

bitter? uh no...maybe i misunderstood so if i did my apologies

ok, i wasnt sure if the giants being out was bringing some sour feelings out. above i stated several reasons why i see pagano playing to win. none of them had to do with my feelings of wanting him to do it for us. good health to you and yours

u too

btw giants aren't "out" quite yet...

sorry in my holiday stupor i jumped the gun.

i actually have reversed myself the past couple weeks and hope they make it.

and thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Sounds Like Colts Coaches intend to Win Sunday

I hope the players feel the same way...and show up to play!

In the end this is a game that sets up nicely for Indy...A statement game if you will...First off they still have to lock up the 5th seed. Secondly, playing at home against the team to beat in your division always comes with added incentive. Lastly I'm pretty sure that to a man everyone in that lockeroom wants to win one for the gipper (Coach Pagano)...In the end they may fall short, but my guess is they'll leave everything they have on the field...This is thier superbowl they know, the Texans know it and the fans of the Colt's know it...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Arguments for the real Colts playing on Sunday:

Truth be told, the Colts are a pretty bad team and utterly undeserving of the playoffs, but they had a fourth place schedule plus two awful teams in their division that they each played twice.  Cheap wins are wins.

The Colts are working off the NFL's worst cap Hades situation -- paying off Peyton Manning who plays for the opponents while they try to field a team under their cap.  That's why gaining this regular season victory over rival Houston in week 17 could be an argument two years down the road for saving the coach's job.  It's all about appearance for the Colts.

Indy needs to learn the confidence to tell themselves, yes we can come back and beat a good team, we just did it last week.  Indy already snuck by Green Bay in week 5 but they flopped badly against Chicago and New England.  Who better than Houston?  Two weeks ago Indy was on the same field as Houston in the middle of the fourth quarter but they couldn't drive for the tying touchdown.

Finally, Coach Pagano can only pull the "I just recovered from cancer this week" excuse once, and this is the week.  "Tell em to go out and win one for the Zipper!"  Profiting off of your own life and death illness is a crass thing to say but real NFL coaches are mondo crass in their actions and motivations.  It's in a coach's blood to go out and win, and winning is almost the sole criteria for the coach's job tenure.  Bill Belichick will whisper smack in his players' ears, he'll put bulletin board material up, he'll put his shadow in the kicker's way to try to distract the kicker in practice, he'll do anything within reason.  What's really wrong with Coach Pagano playing a little trump card that he has?

If the Colts pull their chin straps tight, they are 2.6 point favorites to beat the Houston Texans in front of their home crowd at Indy's Lucas Dome.

Miami is as good as Baltimore these days but they probably don't like January weather.  They haven't been north since November 15.  I have New England by only 8.6 points, but we could see a bit more fight out of the Pats if New England sees a good chance of a bye week.

If BB is 1/10 on the ball he will post Coach Pagano's message as bulletin board material.  Beat Miami and maybe get a bye.

" Pagano's message"

which message is that paul?

Simply your own thread headline would work for starters,  "But we're still going to go beat the Texans."  A few more quotes to fill out the page would probably help.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

yeah and the pats will win 16.2 games this year

what a classless post

Sometimes I have to deal with some wild NFL point swings. 

My feeling about the San Francisco game is that SF got seven gifts from the football gods in the form of seven out of eight fumble recoveries.  Sometimes that happens.  In the end the Pats were down 10 points, two scores with not enough time left for two scores, so the game was essentially over with SF up 10 points.  The Pats were expected to win big, so that really hurt their power ranking.  Against Jacksonville, for the second game in a row we saw a really good Pats team underperform, this time against a really bad Jacksonville team.  Drop them again.  What if the Patriots really are bang ed up right now?

Alternatively, we could also say that the Pats got really lucky against Houston and earlier.  No one here won't admit that the Sanchize face plant play and touchdown was a serious Christmas present to Patriots fans.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In it to win it. Why lay down like the Dolts use to. These new Dolts are actually more likeable than the old ones.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Truth be told, the Colts are a pretty bad team and utterly undeserving of the playoffs, but they had a fourth place schedule plus two awful teams in their division that they each played twice.  Cheap wins are wins.

The Colts are working off the NFL's worst cap Hades situation -- paying off Peyton Manning who plays for the opponents while they try to field a team under their cap.  That's why gaining this regular season victory over rival Houston in week 17 could be an argument two years down the road for saving the coach's job.  It's all about appearance for the Colts.

Indy needs to learn the confidence to tell themselves, yes we can come back and beat a good team, we just did it last week.  Indy already snuck by Green Bay in week 5 but they flopped badly against Chicago and New England.  Who better than Houston?  Two weeks ago Indy was on the same field as Houston in the middle of the fourth quarter but they couldn't drive for the tying touchdown.

Finally, Coach Pagano can only pull the "I just recovered from cancer this week" excuse once, and this is the week.  "Tell em to go out and win one for the Zipper!"  Profiting off of your own life and death illness is a crass thing to say but real NFL coaches are mondo crass in their actions and motivations.  It's in a coach's blood to go out and win, and winning is almost the sole criteria for the coach's job tenure.  Bill Belichick will whisper smack in his players' ears, he'll put bulletin board material up, he'll put his shadow in the kicker's way to try to distract the kicker in practice, he'll do anything within reason.  What's really wrong with Coach Pagano playing a little trump card that he has?

If the Colts pull their chin straps tight, they are 2.6 point favorites to beat the Houston Texans in front of their home crowd at Indy's Lucas Dome.

Miami is as good as Baltimore these days but they probably don't like January weather.  They haven't been north since November 15.  I have New England by only 8.6 points, but we could see a bit more fight out of the Pats if New England sees a good chance of a bye week.

If BB is 1/10 on the ball he will post Coach Pagano's message as bulletin board material.  Beat Miami and maybe get a bye.

" Pagano's message"

which message is that paul?

Simply your own thread headline would work for starters,  "But we're still going to go beat the Texans."  A few more quotes to fill out the page would probably help.

yep :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

In it to win it. Why lay down like the Dolts use to. These new Dolts are actually more likeable than the old ones.

agreed

tho they got their by the owner throwing a seoson

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Simple who has more to lose in this game? Houston. They have been beaten for many years by Peyton Manning and these Colts, I expect a payback, and a blowout by the Texans.  They used to play them tough with Manning, at the Dome. Houston 34 Colts 17

Home Field throughout the Play-offs, Colts got nothing to play for and will rest their Starters in 2nd half. Common sense. Why get any Starter hurt, knowing they are playing on the road next week anyway. Imagine if Luck got hurt in a meaningless game. I expect all kinds of weird injuries by game time.Wayne tweaked his earlobe, wont be playing. I also expect Houston going full throttle in this game, why not? They win get a 1 week bye, and home for play-offs. In a way its a Play-off game for Houston. I'm sure Kubiak is pointing that out to his Players too.

Theres the papers and Media and then there is reality.

houston had plenty to play for the past sunday and got smacked hard by minnesota. if colts play to win i liek them

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I just checked again to be sure. The Colts are LOCKED at #5 and the Bengals are LOCKED at # 6 regardless of what each of them do Sunday.

The only "battle" is for seeds 1-4

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I just checked again to be sure. The Colts are LOCKED at #5 and the Bengals are LOCKED at # 6 regardless of what each of them do Sunday.

yup, thats why looking at how pagano want to play the game matters and is what this thread is about

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Well, why get into a knife fight if you don't need to?

The smart thing is to rest up for the playoffs, which is what they will do.

It's actually better for the Colts to let Houston get the # 1

Houston wins going away, it actually won't be much of a ball game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Well, why get into a knife fight if you don't need to?

The smart thing is to rest up for the playoffs, which is what they will do.

It's actually better for the Colts to let Houston get the # 1

Houston wins going away, it actually won't be much of a ball game.

you are on record. pagano is on record as saying we are going to beat houston. we will see what transpires

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Wes Welker, 1/10, week 17, Houston,......

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

yup, thats why looking at how pagano want to play the game matters and is what this thread is about

Not exactly sure how the tie breakers work but if the Bengals win over the Ravens and the Colts lose to the Texans...both teams would finish with identical records 10-6 overall 7-5 in conference & 3-3 in divisional play.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
    If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
    1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
    1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in conference games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss.

Based on the above Cincy it would appear has the advantage if they're tied at the end unless I missing something?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

That Colts organization should be fined for tanking it the way they did last year.  There's no way they could turn that around so quickly.  Andrew Luck isn't that good...

I despise that organization...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Undeserving in what manner?  Define what is deserving? 

Profitting off his own life and death illness?  Wow.  And you are calling him crass?  I think you need to look inside yourself a bit Paul. 

I know its not the point you were trying to make, but what Paul, would you have Pagano do in this situation so as to show he's not crass?  Did he do anything to deserve his cancer?  

Got to admit, I haven't understood you since you told the board that the 4th quarter was never important in assessing the value of a team, this cements my opinion. 

Looking forward to your response. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

The Colts are playing on emotion. This can go either way: a tremendous win, or an emotional bust come late in the game IF things aren't going their way. Shou;ld be a good one, one way or the other. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

That Colts organization should be fined for tanking it the way they did last year.  There's no way they could turn that around so quickly.  Andrew Luck isn't that good...

I despise that organization...

So Ytse - what happened? 

If Luck isn't that good?

If the defense is ranked 32nd by Football Outsiders?

If the colts switched their defense this year from a 4-3 to a 3-4 but are still starting 6 of last years starters (5 are new) and 5 of those leftovers are playing different positions this year than they did last year?

If the only quality skill vet on offense is Wayne (all others are rookies {Allen, Fleenor, Ballard, Luck, Hilton, Brazil) or journeymen {Avery})?

If the offense is starting 8 different players from last year? 

What is it? 

What it is, is that the colts really aren't that good.  They've played the easiest schedule in the league this year according to Football Outsiders and they've taken advantage of that schedule and won by very narrow margins. 

I take my hat off to the colts.  What they lack in experience or talent at this time after gutting the team, changing the defense, changing the coaching staff and the front office while dealing with a HC with cancer, they've more than made up for in moxie and a will to win. 

Lifetime will make a really bad movie about this colts season, because it is one of those unreal feel good stories that a fiction writer wouldn't write because it is too implausible.  Call the colts the Bad News Bears. 

Harrumph all you like, most people around the country, I suspect, think this is an amazing feel good story regardless of what happens in the playoffs.  And you might want to root for this team, because a colts win over the Texans could give the Pats a much needed bye. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Simple who has more to lose in this game? Houston. They have been beaten for many years by Peyton Manning and these Colts, I expect a payback, and a blowout by the Texans. 

I actually think the Dolts will blow them out.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I saw Freeney on an interview tonight saying that he expected that anyone needing rest would get it this week and that he personally expected to play though "not sure how long though".  Um, it's week 17, so pretty much every NFL player could use some rest.

I think he let the cat out of the bag.  I expect the Colts will play some of their top personnel for about a half and that's it, regardless of the score. 

I will be the most shocked person on the planet Sunday if I see the Colts giving everything they've got for 4 quarters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

What NFL Coach is going to give the Media his game plan. hahahahahaha I'd say the same thing, were going to go into the game and fight. and by 2nd half be ready to pull the Starters. He'll never tell anyone this. They played 16 weeks of Football, if he rests his starters for a half not going to make a difference. Especially if there is nothing to get an advantage, for his team. Only thing that could hurt them now is a serious injury to a key Player, in a game that means nothing.

"Especially if there is nothing to get an advantage, for his team. "

learning how to win is advantagous to his team. 

Sections
Shortcuts