Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.

In Response to Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.:
    [QUOTE]I'm fine with the move. What has me cracking up s all the Penn State alumni crying about he is not a Penn state guy. Hello that is what is needed here, becuase some of the Penn state guys liked little boys and the rest of the Penn state guys didn't do anything about it! So you Penn state alumni and fans need to think about the kids that were scared for life from this low life and the rest who looked the other way. Good luck Bill O.
    Posted by raptor64d[/QUOTE]

Correct.  Penn State had to bring in an outsider from a place where sexual abuse got zero tolerance. 

A couple of years ago Kraft fired the starting punter days before the start of the season because of a domestic violence incident.  No second thoughts, just an immediate you're fired get out and then we'll bring in some JAG punters tomorrow for tryouts for your starting job.  The replacement punter was short and lousy all year.  The Patriots went 16-0 that year.

That said, O'Brien knows nothing about talking high school kids into the program.  Nor has he been the head coach.  Good luck bunky.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

A few thoughts....

By the looks of it O'Brien is going to face some huge challenges now.  The Alumni is not behind him, not good news for O'Brien.  Not only is he going to be responsible to rebuild Penn's reputation but he is going to face the challenge of being accepted by the players and alumni.  Not a good situation for him.  Going to be much different then the Patriot culture. 

As much as I'm not a huge fan of the guy, I feel bad for him and what he is going to face going into this.  The outcry of Penn fans, supporters and alumni is going to be so bad that he is going to doubt his decision every day.

I think O'Brian will give 110 percent of his efforts to the Patriots while he is still coaching for them.  Matter of fact, I think he will dig deeper and do even better.  He knows that if the Patriots win a SB he will be able to carry that in to his new job with him and be able to have that clout to throw around to all the people who doubt him.  We could witness some great offensive game plans for this SB run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]According to what I've read...O'Brien will not be with the team for their playoff run.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Not true at all. Of course he will finish out the season.

He would be crazy to turn down the PSU job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The PSU job is a second rate gig now and none of the better candidates wanted anything to do with it. It will be a third rate job soon, nobody is going to want to play there, and that has nothing to do with O'Brien. Would you want your kid to play there? Guys like Schiano wouldn't even interview. Heck, Rutgers is a better job right now.

But it's a good deal for OBrien. Expectations are low and he gets a nice guaranteed paycheck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St. : Does he have any motivation to win another game in New England?? That is one of the dumbest questions I've read (and we all know that there are alot of dumb questions and comments on this forum).  Maybe trying to win a Superbowl is one of them?
    Posted by fessin[/QUOTE]
    Call it stupid all you want....there is no way in heII Obrien will be able to put 100% of his concentration on the playoffs. He will be thinking about his new career and recruiting kids to the Penn State program. Whether he wins or loses, he already has a job....one that will most definitely be on his mind moving forward. It's not like Penn State will pay him a bigger salary if he wins the superbowl with the Pats. Perhaps you should post more than 11 times total if you think others are so stupid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]Call it stupid all you want....there is no way in heII Obrien will be able to put 100% of his concentration on the playoffs. He will be thinking about his new career and recruiting kids to the Penn State program. Whether he wins or loses, he already has a job....one that will most definitely be on his mind moving forward. It's not like Penn State will pay him a bigger salary if he wins the superbowl with the Pats. Perhaps you should post more than 11 times total if you think others are so stupid.
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  O'Brien is getting a lot of heat from Penn Alumni, He knows winning a super Bowl will give him the much needed respect and clout with these people and the recruiting process.  How would you like to go into your new coaching job and say I just helped TFB and the Patriots win a Super Bowl.

My guess he is going to be going the extra mile, be thinking of some great things to put into his game plans to help achieve a SB victory.  Plus the players wanting to win it for him.  Nothing but good stuff with this.  Couldn't come at a better time, IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St. : I disagree.  O'Brien is getting a lot of heat from Penn Alumni, He knows winning a super Bowl will give him the much needed respect and clout with these people and the recruiting process.  How would you like to go into your new coaching job and say I just helped TFB and the Patriots win a Super Bowl. My guess he is going to be going the extra mile, be thinking of some great things to put into his game plans to help achieve a SB victory.  Plus the players wanting to win it for him.  Nothing but good stuff with this.  Couldn't come at a better time, IMO.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]I could see those as positives. The paddy certainly has an uphill battle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": Because college recruitment season is now and a team without a HC will have lost out on every good recruit by the time the SB is over. Right now the other coaches are chatting up prospects and are way ahead, the HC isn't just selling the product, he is the product. The top recruits want a guy who can get them to the NFL and nobody will sign up when they don't know what their role on the team is. At least now his assistants can start recruiting some of the players he wants and he can call the recruits in his off time. If the Pats didn't let Obrien talk to other jobs they'd be screwing themselves. If Obrien didn't take the job now, they would give it to someone else and Obrien would likely still leave after the season for an NFL team. Position coaches want to be coordinators and coordinators want to be HC's and if the Pats made it known that they would interfere with moving up then they would not attract any promising young or experienced coaches.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Shenanigans. I can't seem to get through to Coolade. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Lets find a real OC now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Maybe they wanted to snag obrien before he possibly coaches the pats to a super bowl where his stock would presumably go up...? The answers are likely in the dollars. what does he stand to make at Penn st? What did paterno make? They probably are getting a rookie discount with O'Brien but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up doubling or tripling his current salary which explains everything .